Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sulman posted:

Their initial strategy (later imitated by Racing Point) was so successful they got a lot of poo poo about the originality of their car. Since then they've floundered, perhaps because of a lack of engineering depth or maybe just plain bad design. I don't know, I don't think anyone does outside the team's technical staff.

Their model for running the team was an interesting idea but it looks like Gene Haas has - like so many others - got sucked into the spending black hole F1 inevitably becomes. More staff, more infrastructure and you might as well stick to the traditional model.

Their model fell apart as soon as they chose to base it on a Ferrari.

Rebus posted:

Some smoothbrain put the full 3D model of the FW43B into the AR app. Link

They pulled the livery out of the app now. As seen here

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
williams is in that bad of a shape that they cant even put some renders of their loving car? whats the angle they are doing with this launch i dont get it

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Zeta Acosta posted:

williams is in that bad of a shape that they cant even put some renders of their loving car? whats the angle they are doing with this launch i dont get it

The idea was that it's an AR app so you hold you phone up and it puts a life-size render of the car in your living room or whatever so you can nerd out about it. Normally for timed releases like this (the actual launch for the car is tomorrow) you're supposed to have an update at the time of release that pushes the actual content.

But Williams gotta be Williams.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Anyone know how to run CFD in Fusion360?

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 5, 2021

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I’m still loling over the fact that the American ran Haas F1 team is full on running a Russia livery. :smugdon:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GramCracker posted:

I’m still loling over the fact that the American ran Haas F1 team is full on running a Russia livery. :smugdon:

We weren't looking at the right inauguration celebrations...

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
odds that meatspin dad is going to rich energy hass and this time they actually fold?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Theophany posted:

Holy poo poo somebody actually bought one of those??

They were $8 + shipping at one point.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That Williams livery is not very good imho

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

could be worse it could be the haas livery and I for one applaud Williams for making a better livery than the other American team

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tsaedje posted:

luckily they won't be putting it on camera that often

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ostentatious posted:

could be worse it could be the haas livery and I for one applaud Williams for making a better livery than the other American team

for some reason I thought Dorilton was like a tel aviv real estate developer

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Zeta Acosta posted:

odds that meatspin dad is going to rich energy hass and this time they actually fold?

Uralkali have plenty of cash, and their business actually exists.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

literal russian billionaire bullshit peddler lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MustardFacial posted:

The idea was that it's an AR app so you hold you phone up and it puts a life-size render of the car in your living room or whatever so you can nerd out about it. Normally for timed releases like this (the actual launch for the car is tomorrow) you're supposed to have an update at the time of release that pushes the actual content.

But Williams gotta be Williams.

dang this is the only time they'll be faster than expected all year

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

Mutually assured destruction is the perfect doctrine for Haas

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

mutually haassured destruction was right there, smdh

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched some old BBC season reviews on YouTube, and lol at them taking up time in the 2011 show with a segment on the surely glorious future of talented British up-and-comer Paul di Resta.

Also watched 2009, and had completely forgotten about the threatened FOCA split that effectively got rid of Max Moseley. It was mysteriously unmentioned in the official FOM season review for some reason.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Tsaedje posted:

I prefer it to that awful fade from 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
F1 just announced that Portimao will be returning this season. Except that hmm, I took this screengrab from the F1 Experiences site a few days ago, even as the official F1 site said it was TBC. Gee, I wonder where the unconfirmed race in mid-April will be taking place?

I guess when you're dealing with people willing to spaff £10,000+ on an F1 holiday weekend, you want the inside track to get their money as soon as possible.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 5, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

the corona quid posted:

I grab an illegal website stream but it’s always garbage

I honestly don't understand why watching F1 live without a TV subscription is so garbage in TYOOL 2021. I've tried the official F1 app. I've tried illegal streams. All garbage.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Residency Evil posted:

I honestly don't understand why watching F1 live without a TV subscription is so garbage in TYOOL 2021. I've tried the official F1 app. I've tried illegal streams. All garbage.

The equivalent of a fully loaded Kodi box works great for me. Ultimate TV is the app iirc.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Williams got "hacked" so they wont show their car on the super app who leaked their entire design

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rebus you’re supposed to replace the ink cartridge on those printers when they run low or else that happens

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the front reminds me of the rothmans livery but yeah thats not a looker

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 5, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Who is the goon hivemind cheering for this year? The Clerk?

Are Dan, of course.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"we wanted to pay homage to our glory days" *makes a winamp skin*

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Mmm, yes - apart from where they're totally different, they're exactly the same!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Payndz posted:

Mmm, yes - apart from where they're totally different, they're exactly the same!

The floor of the car and the tires are the same!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Rebus you’re supposed to replace the ink cartridge on those printers when they run low or else that happens

I love this, good job Rebus

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I like the look of the Williams...

Would suck to be a driver for them though - blue car, blue gear, blue flags all the time...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That livery rocks, and I hope they expand it after the tests to no longer hide the diffusor/rear axle area.

e: I really like how they hid the nose.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I just like that they slapped a loving winamp skin on their car and was like "yeah this one's for nigel" and the guy's not even dead

like now that old bastard has to uncomfortably waggle his mustache and try to actually sell a statement like "wow thanks team I'm honoured and I know you'll make us all proud" despite the livery clearly having been designed by these peckerwoods after consuming enough cocaine to make the UK parliament look like a sobriety club:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cosmo steier is clearly waiting until his replacement nose is fully healed to get his headshot taken

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

FAUXTON posted:

I just like that they slapped a loving winamp skin on their car and was like "yeah this one's for nigel" and the guy's not even dead

like now that old bastard has to uncomfortably waggle his mustache and try to actually sell a statement like "wow thanks team I'm honoured and I know you'll make us all proud" despite the livery clearly having been designed by these peckerwoods after consuming enough cocaine to make the UK parliament look like a sobriety club:

I just remembered I know somebody who works at Dorilton. I need to ask him how much money they're losing on Williams

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FAUXTON posted:

cosmo steier is clearly waiting until his replacement nose is fully healed to get his headshot taken
Cosmo Understeier (into a wall).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

I just remembered I know somebody who works at Dorilton. I need to ask him how much money they're losing on Williams

Nacho Cheesier or Cooler Ranch?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Drive to Survive trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrHKc58aIA

[edit] I got a hold of the 3D files from the AR app dump, it's really cool see how intricately designed every tiny little piece of an F1 car is. This all looks super cool and I wish I understood CFD and aerodynamics better so I could see what every little wing and flap did and why it was there.

Good job Reebus.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It’s not that hard to do cfd you just import the model to the programs and press the mesh buttons.... the problem is that model is so complicated geometry wise you probably need an extremely pricey licensed version to run it in any reasonable timeframe and even then it will probably still crash the program