Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Raised By Birds posted:

Each character being able to pick up every job is such a nice feature, one that at this point I sometimes forget is unusual for MMOs.

#1 reason I can't go back to WOW.

Also a really big reason why the story feels more personal maybe, because you (probably) only have one character, and not a dozen different characters doing the same exact thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSZJuVCWyLU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Raised By Birds posted:

Each character being able to pick up every job is such a nice feature, one that at this point I sometimes forget is unusual for MMOs.

I was bugged about it at first because I wanted to design the character to the class, but once I got over that all the other factors are SO much easier.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also a really big reason why the story feels more personal maybe, because you (probably) only have one character, and not a dozen different characters doing the same exact thing.

Just having a mount immediately is such a huge benefit. Even moreso now that you can fly all over the place.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The fact that your character doesn´t take the backseat, plotwise, while the writers favorite characters swoop in to take the credit is one thing I really like with FF XIV.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yydplmWhG0

Also, in line with the current discussion:

Yeah, it's great that you actually get to be the protagonist of your own story. (major 5.0 MSQ spoilers here, like end of 5.0 stuff)

That guy in the corner readying himself to blast the gigantic horror looming before him? That's my character. There's no Thrall to take the killshot, there's no writers' pet character to be the centre of everything. That's me. And that's great.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 5, 2021

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Well, there's Ardbert, who is arguably both taking the killshot and at the center of everything, but that character's situation is handled so well that I don't mind, and I'm not sure I remember seeing anyone, not even Cleretic, complain about it.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 5, 2021

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

In the end, we are all Shardberts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failboattootoot posted:

Just having a mount immediately is such a huge benefit. Even moreso now that you can fly all over the place.

I love that you actually get some of the coolest mounts just through playing the story. I don't care if everyone has it or if there are different colours available to savage raiders, getting FFVI magitek armor was such a cool moment and something WoW's never even attempted to emulate for it's non raiding players.

I wish Shadowbringers had a mount you got through the story. I thought maybe you'd inherit Seto after that whole thing but nope. :(

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, it's great that you actually get to be the protagonist of your own story. (major 5.0 MSQ spoilers here, like end of 5.0 stuff)

That guy in the corner readying himself to blast the gigantic horror looming before him? That's my character. There's no Thrall to take the killshot, there's no writers' pet character to be the centre of everything. That's me. And that's great.

I mean when WoW tried to ape that scene six months later, they dropped this goofy turd that was universally reviled as a lovely end to a lovely expansion. Maybe they should stick to Thrall kill shots lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m sad to hear that nzoth is lame in WOW, he rules in hearthstone

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
looks like there is a housing scanning/purchase bot spreading across Primal. I've seen someone using it on Exodus and heard of it already in place on some other primal servers. RIP getting any kind of medium or large now unless you get lucky scanning the zone they are doing second instead of first, or perhaps if youre scanning wards from a different direction and react quickly enough. I beat one the other day but I think it was the second zone they checked. Not gonna matter once there's more than the two accounts on Exodus, just takes a third and a fourth and it's toast.

How's Excalibur doing, are the scanning bots already there?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

jalapeno_dude posted:

Well, there's Ardbert, who is arguably both taking the killshot and at the center of everything, but that character's situation is handled so well that I don't mind, and I'm not sure I remember seeing anyone, not even Cleretic, complain about it.

The critical distinction here is that while Ardbert is front and center, he ultimately lends you his strength rather than the other way around, and the player gets to actively participate in the moment that happens.

Plus it helps that the character was so well written and acted from start to finish, and everything else about that specific moment is an amazing confluence of story, music, and metagame physics.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thundarr posted:

The critical distinction here is that while Ardbert is front and center, he ultimately lends you his strength rather than the other way around, and the player gets to actively participate in the moment that happens.

Plus it helps that the character was so well written and acted from start to finish, and everything else about that specific moment is an amazing confluence of story, music, and metagame physics.

Yea while ShB is in many ways Ardbert's story dealing with his grief and trauma and all, the key there is you're the one helping him grow through that, eventually climaxing in him showing up at the darkest moment to lend you his power to finish both of your stories together. Even without the shardbert elements the story remains yours throughout it and him showing up isn't 'cool here's Thrall to get the finishing blow as usual', it's 'HELL YES MY BUDDY ARDBERT IS HERE TO gently caress EMET UP WITH ME'. Like, that entire last chunk of the cutscene from the music sting when Ardbert offers you his axe to you standing in the light with his voice speaking through you and all is very much framed as the epic finale for YOU, with your buddy Ardbert to help because you've spent so long with him at this point it'd feel weird if he WASN'T there in some form.

Really that whole 5.0 final fight cutscene is a masterclass in blending music, camera work, and writing to make a dramatic and epic moment, which is more effort than most MMOs sadly put in their big climax scenes.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Chomposaur posted:

I mean when WoW tried to ape that scene six months later, they dropped this goofy turd that was universally reviled as a lovely end to a lovely expansion. Maybe they should stick to Thrall kill shots lol

:yum:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

sexpig by night posted:

Really that whole 5.0 final fight cutscene is a masterclass in blending music, camera work, and writing to make a dramatic and epic moment, which is more effort than most MMOs sadly put in their big climax scenes.

It's more effort than most games put into their endings period, honestly

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So I dig samurai and ninja but is there a dps that I can competently play while drunk, like just turn on cruise control and go? Or am I describing samurai here?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

please knock Mom! posted:

So I dig samurai and ninja but is there a dps that I can competently play while drunk, like just turn on cruise control and go? Or am I describing samurai here?

Red Mage

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dancer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As long as you're able to hit lit up buttons in order you can play dragoon drunk.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah the part where Ardbert asks you if you had the strength to take 1 more step, could you finish him? basically maxed out my OH gently caress YEAH meter

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

so I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yydplmWhG0

Also, in line with the current discussion:

Seconded, I liked that as much as the classic bandwagon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dancer. Just remember that your Step skills (Standard Step and Technical Step) have massive damage in an AoE centered on you in addition to providing a damage buff to you and your Dance Partner (Standard) or to your whole party (Technical), so you should stand close to the enemy when you use them. Outside of that, just hit whichever buttons are lit up on your hot bar and go nuts.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

DNC and MCH never need to stand still, have no positional requirements, can attack at range, and are both super chill and fun imo

Plus with DNC if your drunk brain belatedly realizes you're standing in a danger zone you can dash forward into even more danger and over a cliff

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What starter class is the class for running the game solo?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Chomposaur posted:

Wow really needs to work on their cutscene engine because it's not good enough to pull off the in-engine stuff that FFXIV can do, which is part of the issue.

But also, Narratively they tend to not give the player character the gravitas that they're probably due. After legion, which was probably the most player centric expansion ever, the final killing blow is done by Illidan and afterwards you go around giving out Illidan's goodbye letters because as the Hardest, Realest man only he can make the Hardest Choice, and everyone needs to be asking "Where's Illidan?"

In the Narrative of BFA the player character might as well have not been there, despite being the chosen champion of the literal will of the planet, since everyone more or less ignored you up until the last raid where dragonbuddy showed up and pulled us away from the War in Warcraft.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Another MMO.

Group content is required, frequently, to progress in this game.

All classes do fine in the solo content.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cythereal posted:

Another MMO.

Group content is required, frequently, to progress in this game.

All classes do fine in the solo content.

On the flip side of this, you can very easily play the whole story without interacting with another human being if you don't want to. Pretend other players are NPCs until the point that the game allows you to actually replace them with NPCs.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
In normal dungeon, DPS have no responsibilities to their party other than "please do damage so we can finish this in a reasonable amount of time". So any DPS really. Nobody'll be counting on you to heal or point bosses in the right direction or w/e

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Any class is fine, you do a series of solo story quests that culminate in a 4 man dungeon, this is the flow of 90 percent of 1-80. Pick whichever one sounds the most fun to you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HellCopter posted:

In normal dungeon, DPS have no responsibilities to their party other than "please do damage so we can finish this in a reasonable amount of time". So any DPS really. Nobody'll be counting on you to heal or point bosses in the right direction or w/e

yea the best you can get for a 'solo experience' is any dps, you literally can't not party up to progress but until you start doing actual top level stuff DPS' only job is 'please hit buttons so we can actually finish this dungeon', nobody will expect you to 'do' much so there's zero stress beyond learning mechanics and all. I'd recommend Lancer or Archer for that depending if you like melee or ranged, Lancer becomes Dragoon which is a fun class with jumpy mechanics and eventually grows to have a fairly interesting flow of combat and all (and some mild party utility with it's twizzler buff), and Archer becomes Bard which has more party utility if you want to contribute more but still at its core remains 'make the boss HP go down quickly please'.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It should be noted that all of the required group content can be done through the Duty Finder matchmaking, it's really easy to jump into.

Also I'm told that first-timers get jumped ahead in the queues.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Usual disclaimer on MMO dynamics: tanks and healers get nigh-instant dungeon pops when you need it. DPS sits in it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made for arcanist, since it gives you both smn and sch jobs. Smn for overworld soloring and then sch for the speedy queue times. But the real answer is whichever class you like aesthetically and mechanically because there's virtually no hard solo content. What is there is gated off into instances and the best jobs for that stuff you can't start as. Also the game is currently pretty well-balanced and nobody will ever give a gently caress about what job you are except for the very rare party finder host whose group you won't want to join because anyone with class requirements in party finder is going to be a textbook case of dunning-kreuger.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea the best you can get for a 'solo experience' is any dps, you literally can't not party up to progress but until you start doing actual top level stuff DPS' only job is 'please hit buttons so we can actually finish this dungeon', nobody will expect you to 'do' much so there's zero stress beyond learning mechanics and all. I'd recommend Lancer or Archer for that depending if you like melee or ranged, Lancer becomes Dragoon which is a fun class with jumpy mechanics and eventually grows to have a fairly interesting flow of combat and all (and some mild party utility with it's twizzler buff), and Archer becomes Bard which has more party utility if you want to contribute more but still at its core remains 'make the boss HP go down quickly please'.

I'I think there's a good case to be made for tanks too. You get a fairly simple rotation and don't have to worry about hitting solo positionals, an insane amount of survivablity, you get free queues every time it's time to run a dungeon and you get a classic fantasy hero aesthetic and weapon no matter which class you choose, it's basically a free pass through the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This was probably the most infuriating black mage I've ever seen:

- no thunder spells
- no flare
- no blizzard 3
- no fire 1
- no ley lines
- single targeted during massive pulls (with exception of freeze, I guess)

Basically they would use their umbral hearts with 3 fire4s then instead of refreshing enochian they would go back into umbral ice by casting freeze. I tried to explain "Hey, use up all of your MP, your blizzard spells are a free mp cast at that point!" and of course no response. It's not like they're a newbie either as they had several other classes at level 80.

I got 2 comms though, probably the frustrated tank and healer realizing how long the dungeon was taking.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I'll silently judge you if you're a DPS and you're using a single-target rotation when there's more than 3 enemies and you're high enough level to have AOE.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

seiferguy posted:

This was probably the most infuriating black mage I've ever seen:

- no thunder spells
- no flare
- no blizzard 3
- no fire 1
- no ley lines
- single targeted during massive pulls (with exception of freeze, I guess)

Basically they would use their umbral hearts with 3 fire4s then instead of refreshing enochian they would go back into umbral ice by casting freeze. I tried to explain "Hey, use up all of your MP, your blizzard spells are a free mp cast at that point!" and of course no response. It's not like they're a newbie either as they had several other classes at level 80.

I got 2 comms though, probably the frustrated tank and healer realizing how long the dungeon was taking.

They actually used Fire spells, so I've seen worse.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

multijoe posted:

I'I think there's a good case to be made for tanks too. You get a fairly simple rotation and don't have to worry about hitting solo positionals, an insane amount of survivablity, you get free queues every time it's time to run a dungeon and you get a classic fantasy hero aesthetic and weapon no matter which class you choose, it's basically a free pass through the game.

Yeah gladiator/paladin has to be the easiest starting class if you want to exclusively play this game solo aside from when you're forced to do group content. Speedy tank queues, nearly impossible to kill even in some of the solo duties that new players find tougher, and possibly the simplest rotation until like level 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Wow really needs to work on their cutscene engine because it's not good enough to pull off the in-engine stuff that FFXIV can do, which is part of the issue.

What's funny is that FFXIV's engine is absolute dogshit, the developers have just gotten really good at working with it and have really great artists on their team.