Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So riddle me this:

If only the witch who cast the runes in a particular space can perform magic, how does Agnes stay afloat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Narrative momentum. Or the ol' Bugs Bunny rule on gravity; she never learned it. As an actual answer though, her powers faded gradually over several seconds, with her going from full magic capability to sputters of magic when she gestured and then nothing at all when she tried again after nothing happened previously, so she probably just had enough latent magic already in effect that it didn't just cut out, but faded away long enough for her to float down.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

mcbexx posted:

So riddle me this:

If only the witch who cast the runes in a particular space can perform magic, how does Agnes stay afloat?

Cloak of Levitation's evil twin

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Well that was fun. Looking forward to the next Dr. Strange and Spider-man films for the rest of the story.

Onward, to the Falcon and Winter Soldier odd couple weekly hour show!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Doing a fakeout of the multiverse twice in a row, two years apart, is a hell of a way to troll the audience.

At this point I'm kind of not even believing they'll have it in a meaningful way in Dr Strange 2, despite the title.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lastdancer posted:

Well that was fun. Looking forward to the next Dr. Strange and Spider-man films for the rest of the story.

Onward, to the Falcon and Winter Soldier odd couple weekly hour show!

Listen, there is something nice and simple in an action adventure show that won't require me to cypher everything.

I also interpreted the 2nd mid-credits scene as a multiverse thing that her kids were calling out from?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

tsob posted:

I find it to be a weird theory in this particular instance simply because the kids were only just born. There's no reason they would normally be open to romantic involvement for a decade or more, but Marvel has already set precedent of rapidly aging them so that they could potentially be used sooner. The characters as created in the comics were also introduced in the same way i.e. initially babies that are reintroduced as teens to become heroes, and the show seemed to end with a hook for that. Unless Disney/Marvel just ignored their comic history entirely, and introduced them as teens rather than children then it was basically always going to be a thing that they were too young for some of their screen presence.

except that Billy and Tommy had no real comic history as children, though. afaik they were babies/toddlers for the entirety of their publication history from their birth until a few years later, when John Byrne retconned them into being Mephisto soul fragments and wrote them out of existence in his West Coast Avengers run. Then Allan Heinberg resurrected them as reincarnated teenagers in a weird, overly convoluted and roundabout way a decade and a half later, and that's the version that fans are familiar with and want to see on screen (well, hopefully minus the overly convoluted reincarnation-with-possible-spiritual-time-travel origin, I could do without that)

if this justification applied to any member of the Young Avengers, it would be Cassie Lang, who actually was introduced as a young child in the comics and aged up into a teen over the course of time, but as I said above, Marvel not only already aged her up into a teen in Endgame, they recast the role for Quantumania with an even older actress (Kathryn Newton is 24)

anyway, just thinking about how, had COVID not hosed with the schedule, the WandaVision finale would have dropped only a few months before Doctor Strange 2 instead of a whole goddamn year. siiiiigggggggghhhhhhh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interestingly, DrS:MoM the kids both had now deleted Instagram posts taken in London back in November, indicating they’re probably not gone long.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Listen, there is something nice and simple in an action adventure show that won't require me to cypher everything.

I also interpreted the 2nd mid-credits scene as a multiverse thing that her kids were calling out from?

Hey I agree! I really am looking forward to it. I guess it'll be more of a buddy cop dynamic but I am very much there for the back and forth quips along with everything else.

As for that second thing that's what I took it as.

Oh, and ONE more thing: Why didn't vision do that phase-out manuver the FIRST time?!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Oh also Wanda's new costume is loving badass.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The last couple minutes were kind of tonally awful.

"They'll never know what you sacrificed for them."

Yeah, my heart goes out to the lady grieving her dead lover while she's kept me as a mind-controlled hostage for the last few weeks. Also, the only person Wanda actually apologizes to is Monica who.. by all accounts is the one who came the best out of this? She ended up getting super powers at the expense of only being Wanda's mind slave for less time than everyone else.

It's also super unclear what Heyward's crime(s) are. I can maybe connect the dots on - well, he fired a missile into a bunch of hostages, which is bad enough, but I don't think they make it super clear what his transgressions are aside from being a poor foil to the hero inside the bubble.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly, DrS:MoM the kids both had now deleted Instagram posts taken in London back in November, indicating they’re probably not gone long.

This would make sense if WandaVision is truly a lead in for Dr. Strange 2. Maybe Wanda loving around with the Darkhold to find/bring back her kids causes shenanigans, enter Dr. Strange. It's fairly easy to see a version of that movie where the kids are alive at the end.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Harlock posted:

The last couple minutes were kind of tonally awful.

It's also super unclear what Heyward's crime(s) are. I can maybe connect the dots on - well, he fired a missile into a bunch of hostages, which is bad enough, but I don't think they make it super clear what his transgressions are aside from being a poor foil to the hero inside the bubble.

I mean Heyward creating a weaponized vision is probably a crime.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean Heyward creating a weaponized vision is probably a crime.
Given the cloak and dagger of SHIELD/SWORD/etc, who knows what's been bureaucratically approved!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Ouhei posted:

This would make sense if WandaVision is truly a lead in for Dr. Strange 2. Maybe Wanda loving around with the Darkhold to find/bring back her kids causes shenanigans, enter Dr. Strange. It's fairly easy to see a version of that movie where the kids are alive at the end.

yeah, that's also my assumption for Multiverse of Madness - that her efforts to bring back the kids are the instigator of the plot, even if she's not necessarily the villain per se. although she may be evil for part of the movie before inevitably getting redeemed etc etc

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Oh also Wanda's new costume is loving badass.

i remember seeing Olsen talking about how bad the Whedon tits-out corset costume was, it's nice to see they're not pulling that poo poo anymore

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
agree that the finale kinda dropped the ball on the matter of Wanda's culpability. on the one hand, it hammered in pretty strongly that she has done real harm to people and is responsible for it, except that she doesn't actually do anything to take accountability or apologize to the people she brainwashed and imprisoned, she just undoes the Hex and flies off while feeling kinda bad about it?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

So did WandaVision transfer his current memories to WhiteVision or did he remove the block on memories WhiteVision already had? I suppose that would determine whether or not Vision going forward has any memories of Westview or attachment to the boys.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Am I the only who appreciated that Vision beats Spectrevision by talking him into goodness instead of punching him to death?

Absolutely not, this was maybe my favorite part of the episode. Like a ton of us already saw something like this coming and that they were gonna have to get on the same page somehow, but they just executed it really well.

Also enjoy that Skrulls continue to be more than just mustache twirling space goblins.

Q: Were those runes on the front of Wanda's cabin at the end? Or just, like, traditional folk art like the hex signs we have in Pennsylvania oh wait "hex" I guess those are magic runes too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barry Convex posted:

except that Billy and Tommy had no real comic history as children, though. afaik they were babies/toddlers for the entirety of their publication history from their birth until a few years later, when John Byrne retconned them into being Mephisto soul fragments and wrote them out of existence in his West Coast Avengers run.

i.e. they were kids when created and for a while after creation. More to the point, they were Wanda's kids specifically. Which, she wasn't a mother pre-WandaVision, so they had to be toddlers or young kids during the show unless the story was just going to have the kind of weird and messy origin you said you could do without.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 5, 2021

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Why didn't iphone Vision seek Wanda out in the post credit?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

agree that the finale kinda dropped the ball on the matter of Wanda's culpability. on the one hand, it hammered in pretty strongly that she has done real harm to people and is responsible for it, except that she doesn't actually do anything to take accountability or apologize to the people she brainwashed and imprisoned, she just undoes the Hex and flies off while feeling kinda bad about it?

She runs from the feds and flies off to live in the middle of no where (I assume in Sokovia?). I don't think we're supposed to assume she gets a pass.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I go back and forth on the costume. In some shots I absolutely love it, in others I wish I could reach through the screen and alter it with my brain. It might be the hair that pushes it over the top? I know you love your perms, Wanda, but it's kinda cringe. I kinda wish they had just kept it clean and straight, like how it looked in the Halloween episode headdress.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just finished watching this together with my friends online and this is how the post credits scene went for us

* Scenic view with no house or Wanda in sight

Me: Haha hey guys she's gonna be alone on a farm. It's Thanos all over again

* small cottage with Wanda comes into view

Me: gently caress

Friend: I hate you so much right now

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why didn't iphone Vision seek Wanda out in the post credit?

feels like

- he doesn't have any friendly family memories from Other Vision's time in Westview
- but he does know what Wanda did on his behalf, loving everything up hard

pretty easy to imagine why he'd be conflicted

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

WELP Fietro was just a nobody. fuuuuuuck you MCU (lol Boner). And nope, I don't think they are gonna fix or change anything, or even have a secret plot twist.

Overall the episode was fine, it had some really sad moments, but I'm gonna join the group that really disliked that Wanda never had to deal with the consequences of her actions. She just let a whole town traumatized. But it's fine, let's think about all she has sacrificed and let her fly away with her brand new Evil Dead Book. I was seriously expecting Wanda to be all "arrest me" or something to Monica. But nope.

So we are left with a white Vision flying around and no idea who is gonna stumble with him and when he is coming back. Did they mix James Spader's voice with Paul Bettany's for white Vision? I hope they did and it wasn't just a voice with robotic distort, that would be a nice touch.

Anyways, lots of things were honestly left unresolved. I guess we are gonna see more of that on future movies and shows.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Give me the xmen back disney

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
At what point did Wanda realize she was in control? It feels like a lot of the problems are simply from bad writing, which is to say from Schaeffer more than Feige and co.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finale was worth it just for the boner joke. Lmao what a show

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

So did WandaVision transfer his current memories to WhiteVision or did he remove the block on memories WhiteVision already had? I suppose that would determine whether or not Vision going forward has any memories of Westview or attachment to the boys.

Wanda's Vision unlocked the memories that were being hidden inside White Vision. Remember that the other Vision didn't remember anything from Thanos and his time in the Avengers. WV should have no idea of the hex and the kids, but should know Wanda killed him and Thanos killed him again. So, yeah, I'm curious what's gonna happen with the character now.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm just not sure what people thought was going to happen re: consequences for Wanda. Tony created loving Ultron and didn't really face any consequences for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Harlock posted:

Given the cloak and dagger of SHIELD/SWORD/etc, who knows what's been bureaucratically approved!

On the other hand, he deliberately lied to everyone monitoring the hex and fabricated evidence, which heavily implies he only had authorization based on lies.

Hobo Clown posted:

I don't see any memories of his time in Westview during that scene, so he may not have. You'd assume so, but Wanda does tell WandaVision that he's a part of her, and her grief/love etc. as well as a piece of the Mind Stone, so WhiteVision may need to get something from her to get those memories back and/or be complete.

Desperado Bones posted:

Overall the episode was fine, it had some really sad moments, but I'm gonna join the group that really disliked that Wanda never had to deal with the consequences of her actions. She just let a whole town traumatized. But it's fine, let's think about all she has sacrificed and let her fly away with her brand new Evil Dead Book. I was seriously expecting Wanda to be all "arrest me" or something to Monica. But nope.

I don't think the audience is meant to think she's now a good person again either, given not just the fact she's reading an explicitly evil book, but how she treated Agatha once she had defeated her. She gave her an ironic but pretty horrific punishment, and I don't think that's just some unintentional oversight on the part of the writers. She didn't seek absolution from the townsfolk because she isn't there yet more than likely.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Ouhei posted:

I'm just not sure what people thought was going to happen re: consequences for Wanda. Tony created loving Ultron and didn't really face any consequences for it.

He's a billionaire of course he faces no consequences

Is Kathryn Hahn confirmed in the new Dr. Strange movie? Would explain why she was put on ice in Wandavision. She was the best part.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So if we ever get Magneto back you think they'll either make him functionally unaging so he's not a billion years old to keep the Holocaust background or give him a different origin story

They kind of already blew the civil war story that the xmen fit into and I thought this show might do whacky comic book timeline stuff but it didn't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

XboxPants posted:

Q: Were those runes on the front of Wanda's cabin at the end? Or just, like, traditional folk art like the hex signs we have in Pennsylvania oh wait "hex" I guess those are magic runes too.

I noticed those because I’m familiar with them. They’re called vèvès, and they’re from voodoo. They act as a sort of representation/attraction point for the loa, spirits that play an important part in voodoo. Each loa has its own specific vèvè.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

tsob posted:

I don't think the audience is meant to think she's now a good person again either, given not just the fact she's reading an explicitly evil book, but how she treated Agatha once she had defeated her. She gave her an ironic but pretty horrific punishment, and I don't think that's just some unintentional oversight on the part of the writers. She didn't seek absolution from the townsfolk because she isn't there yet more than likely.

I hope we get to see the repercussions of everything that happened. :colbert: And yeah, seems they are going for the "she's not that good anymore" approach.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So if we ever get Magneto back you think they'll either make him functionally unaging so he's not a billion years old to keep the Holocaust background or give him a different origin story

They kind of already blew the civil war story that the xmen fit into and I thought this show might do whacky comic book timeline stuff but it didn't.

i've always been on board with changing his origin (and race, for these to work) making him a victim of apartheid in south africa or (the really hot fake version) a palestinian from occupied gaza

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

C-SPAN Caller posted:

He will have been in the Sakovian genocides of like the 1970s or sonething.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I heard a suggestion from a YouTuber I liked a while back, that the MCU ditch the origin of Magneto being a child during the holocaust, and instead have him and Xavier as kids during the 1960s Civil War movement in America, which would tie them more closely to the actual metaphor Stan Lee had in mind for mutants from the outset. Then you could cast people in their 50s or even maybe their late 40s for the role, rather than in to their 70s or above, and have Magneto played by Giancarlo Esposito, while casting Lance Reddick as Xavier. I like both the suggestion for the new origin, and the fancasting personally, since both are really strong actors that seem perfect for the roles.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Harlock posted:

They did say by bringing Vision back Wanda broke the Sokovia Accords. It's possible by using what Wanda did to create the hex to bring Vision back means he broke the Sokovia Accords.