Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Kheldarn posted:

Developer's Note *Update: Initially multiple legendary powers were left uncapped to see how players would utilize them, however we didn't anticipate for Army of the Dead to be able to cast as frequently as it was. This totally dominated how the set was played and also resulted in permanent invincibility. We're attempting to address this and we'd love for players to try out the new changes and provide additional feedback.

additional feedback: losing at least an order of magnitude in damage along with the invulnerability makes the army of the dead build completely worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Firebird looks like it will still do well as a traditional 6pc build but Rathma got completely destroyed. Hopefully they revert some of these changes because honestly one was probably enough.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I tend to pick a class and grind each season. I was hoping Wizard was gunna be good. Why is Wizard always bad? :(

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Wizard was my first character and I thought it would be my main one but I've never clicked with a single endgame build. Even the ones that sound like my thing like when they added the hydra set just end up not being fun for me.

It's a shame.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
So Rathma's nerfed to oblivion then? Dang, I wanted to go full necro this season.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've never been able to click with a necro build. They're all either too weak or too fiddly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Meridian posted:

I tend to pick a class and grind each season. I was hoping Wizard was gunna be good. Why is Wizard always bad? :(

Wizard has historically been one of the best classes in the game for upper solo GR. Firebird's 6pc is clearing GR150s on PTR.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

exquisite tea posted:

Wizard has historically been one of the best classes in the game for upper solo GR. Firebird's 6pc is clearing GR150s on PTR.

The 6 piece or the 6 tal 4 fb?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

6pc since they killed the 6/4 Tal's build. But even without the new FB set, Wizards can clear GR150 with LoD Archon/Twister or even just Twister. I don't think there's ever been a single season in the history of this game where Wizards weren't at least in the top 2 solo GR level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9yymE4iVw

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh ok they did not kill firebird they made it even better. Explosive blast firebird looks amazing.

E: I don't get the mammoth. The guy was talking maybe just getting rid of mammoth entirely. What's the deal with mammoth?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 5, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The problem is that right now only the base rune for Hydra interacts with FB 6pc. That might just be a bug however.

The cool thing about FB is that your spender doesn't actually matter all that much, only the speed at which you can unload it, so you can select really fast-hitting attack like Blades or Hydra and do mega damage.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've never been able to click with a necro build. They're all either too weak or too fiddly.
Turn on your mouse.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Bone Spears from this season was nice, but then I couldn't be arsed to push much so never had to optimise.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

6pc since they killed the 6/4 Tal's build. But even without the new FB set, Wizards can clear GR150 with LoD Archon/Twister or even just Twister. I don't think there's ever been a single season in the history of this game where Wizards weren't at least in the top 2 solo GR level.
I think there have been some gap seasons where they weren't. 2 or 3. Not that it matters, because on solo ladder you're only competing against your class. But generally yeah. I love playing Wizard. It's team modes & para grinding where wizard has been a bit more hit or miss. Although they've certainly had their time in the sun while some classes haven't.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm in a similar boat, honestly. The wizard is a class that is thematically and visually appealing to me, ever since vanilla D3. Just about every season that I wind up playing, I try out a build or two and they just don't click with me despite putting the time into gearing one out. It's weird.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
They somehow made the best diablo 2 mobility skill the worst in diablo 3. Its so clunky.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DeadlyHalibut posted:

They somehow made the best diablo 2 mobility skill the worst in diablo 3. Its so clunky.

To be fair, it was so overpowered in Diablo 2 that every non-sorceress character had to use an equipment slot to get access to teleport.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
My favorite wizard was the vanilla d3 crystal maiden(?) build. It had a passive that reduced all your cool downs by 1 second when you crit, and at the time frost nova had no DR for stunning stuff. So you would just load up on crit, put explosive blast, frost nova, and diamond skin on auto-cast, and just walk around killing everything and taking no damage. It was kinda like the explosive blast wizard today just more OP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CM was for poors, if you were RMAH rich in vanilla Diablo 3 then you ran ARCHON with a lifesteal EF and wrecked MP8 farming runs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Remember that brief moment where you could load up the hardest difficulty and break pots in heaven for loot. I made some quick money off that.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

exquisite tea posted:

CM was for poors, if you were RMAH rich in vanilla Diablo 3 then you ran ARCHON with a lifesteal EF and wrecked MP8 farming runs.

MP8? Lifesteal EF? You were RMAH upper-middle-class at best.

The 1% ran MP10 with lifesteal/crit sword archon, the 1% of the 1% made lifesteal sword CM a thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't want to make anyone feel bad but I actually did have a 1%er lifesteal sword.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Remember that brief moment where you could load up the hardest difficulty and break pots in heaven for loot. I made some quick money off that.

In the patch between vanilla and RoS, I would buy gems, combine them, and sell them for a profit.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
After doing that for a little bit, you really started understanding why most people just bought them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
After playing with FB 6 piece I don't know how I feel about it. It's a bit clicky if you use the spectral blades version but that version much stronger - I can do a solo 125 with low level gems, under 1000 paragon, and unoptimized rolls. There's a wand of woh version that's set and forget but seems to hit a wall around 110.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Explosive Blast is a button that you can numlock or just hold down the button for since it has no casting animation. I felt pretty good tagging everything with Disintegrate on right click and leaving LMB to unleash da BLADEZZ. The nice thing about this setup is that you don't even really need good multiplier rolls on your gear, since all you care about is the attack speed. Frag of Destiny, Shame of Delsere, Wand of Woh, doesn't really matter what rolls you get since the IAS% is fixed there. And this all feeds back into your shield stack since that is also dependent on attack speed. All in all, it's a pretty cool build that combines one of my favorite Wizard abilities (Spectral Blades) with one of my favorite things to do in D3 (attacking so fast the animation starts to clip). I cleared a GR130 no problem in all PTR gear and can melt through GR110s in under 5 minutes. It took almost 7 years to get here, but FB now officially stands for Fun Build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WACj-AUbeyw

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Spectral Blades is indeed one of the cooler animations. I may have to give wizard (another) try (yet again) next season...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've doing some tests in the PTR and now Rathma seems aimed to do bone spirit builds, probably focused on long distance sniping. Good damage apparently but not my style. So, gently caress necro, time to do more barb I guess.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How are people playing the FB spectral blades build with just magic weapon/deflection for a shield? I tried replacing storm armour with black hole to practice in a 110 and I couldn't make it past the first group. I just got destroyed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You need the Galvanizing Ward passive and Ashnaggar's Blood Bracer, which should give you a shield stack around ~1mil before you even start hitting stuff. This might already seem obvious but your shields increase as a percentage of total life, so Life % rolls on gear and gems will also help here.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They're not using blood bracers.

I got a lucky primal ball of hate drop. Electrocute procs the fb 6 piece and can hit more things at distance. I don't know how attack speed factors into electrocute but it's definitely a viable alternative for people that don't like spectral blades.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The clears I've seen have all been using Blood Bracers, there's not much else compelling in that slot for a Flame Blades build besides maybe Krelm's.

Example 1
Example 2

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is the build that pretty much all of the top 10 firebird clears on my PTRs leader are using. I'm using pretty much exactly the same except I've switched out COE with Halo of Karini and black hole for storm armour.

Looking at it now and videos you posted I'm kind of thinking the rorg with the other sets is a little obsolete.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Electrocute build seems pretty strong as well. Strictly speaking I think it might be better for ~GR110 speedruns since the AOE coverage is a step above Fire Blades, even if it lacks some of the multipliers. Some people have also shown success with Hydra but I found it very finicky at GR130 since you can't really direct them to attack the right target. Illusionist elites are basically an instalose at that level. It's really fun when you can work an EF into your Fire Blades build, you start to approach Frenzy Barb levels of animation clipping.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

This might already seem obvious but your shields increase as a percentage of total life, so Life % rolls on gear and gems will also help here.

Doesn't anything that increases your effective hp scale your shields? Like getting 10% more ehp through armor would have the same effect as having 10% more hp.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I cannot find a necro build I like. Isn't there one where you can just set a swirling whirlwind of bones around and walk through things until they die that was pretty powerful or at least powerful enough to run through t16 bounties etc with ease?

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I cannot find a necro build I like. Isn't there one where you can just set a swirling whirlwind of bones around and walk through things until they die that was pretty powerful or at least powerful enough to run through t16 bounties etc with ease?

There is! You want some variation of lazymancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnphG0rhLCs
https://www.diablofans.com/builds/108550-s22-t16-2-6-10-lazymancer-inarius
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/necromancer-generator-build-with-grace-of-inarius

There's some room to play around, I prefer using grim scythe.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Yes! Thank you. I was looking at the generator build on icy-veins and it just didn't look right to me. The one on the video is exactly what I was looking for.

E: Just tried this out on PTR. I assume for it work the gems need to be decently levelled because I tried it with base level gems and I couldn't kill a drat thing on t16.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 7, 2021

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
You'll need gems to be 25+ for sure to see decent results, but also lazymancer isn't really all that powerful, at least last time I tried one, but YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Unless it got nerfed very recently it looks strong enough to clear out t16 which all I want it for. Really I just want an excuse to play necro since at some point I paid for the drat thing.