Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lurking Haro posted:

Wouldn't she have memories of her first reincarnation in that case?

About Wakaba being so expressive as a spider: Isn't that all actually internal monologue? I don't think she actually has a pair of human eyes, too.
The spider Julius fought, and might be Kumoko, had normal spider eyes and didn't talk.
Those adventurers recovering the egg didn't react to Aoi Yuuki squealing either.

The nightmare vestige, the spider he was fighting, did absolutely talk though. It kept repeating "die hero."

It's a little more clear that they are actually hearing it say that in the LN. But it was absolutely talking.

It also used magic if you go look back at episode 6!

Kumoko is supposed to just look like one of the other spiders however. It's an artist's conceit to let us, the viewers, more easily empathize with her situation and understand her thoughts and emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

1. Not necessarily. We don't know the mechanics of the reincarnation system. She could've died as a baby. We don't even know the extent of what she recalls from her life in Japan.
2. Agreed, but I don't think that negates the theory. Speaking from a mechanics viewpoint, my biggest lingering question is why the skill point discrepancy.

The situation with Hugo and all the talk surrounding skill points is probably more important to Kumoko's situation than they let on. Seeing as she was a gamer otaku who automatically went to her skill tree when the game voice told her she had points to spend, I could easily see her going overboard in her first reincarnation, causing her to get drained/reset back to zero like Hugo and dying afterwards.

Every incarnation we witnessed remembers their past life and if they didn't remember, Oka would have had a much harder time tracking them down. There is no indication they have any gaps in their memories.
Everybody's last memory is the classroom exploding (I recon it was a truck-bomb).
Saying Kumoko got reincarnated a second time, wouldn't the others that died get reincarnated, too? If they died soon after the first time, they would be just a bit younger. Oka would be able to find them in that case.

We do know Kumoko is special in some way because of the low skill point budget and getting special attention by the administrator.

As for Oka's warning against skill hoarding, accidentally getting levels in Taboo might be the most obvious reason.

-e-

Nitrousoxide posted:

The nightmare vestige, the spider he was fighting, did absolutely talk though. It kept repeating "die hero."

It's a little more clear that they are actually hearing it say that in the LN. But it was absolutely talking.

It also used magic if you go look back at episode 6!

Kumoko is supposed to just look like one of the other spiders however. It's an artist's conceit to let us, the viewers, more easily empathize with her situation and understand her thoughts and emotions.

It only talked once in that episode and it came across more as a mental projection to me. Magic doesn't require talking, though.
Nice that there is some support to her human features just being an artistic choice.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 28, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do know how many skills Fei started with? Maybe monsters just start with less.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fei is a baby dragon who essentially lived as a pet her whole life and was able to kill an adult dragon. if she didn't start with the reincarnator skill point bonus then there's something else going on with her.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fei is a baby dragon who essentially lived as a pet her whole life and was able to kill an adult dragon. if she didn't start with the reincarnator skill point bonus then there's something else going on with her.

It could be maybe there's a damage bonus if its kin vs kin? It would make a certain kind of sense while also being taboo. Humans have a easier time killing humans while monsters have a harder time killing humans?

IIRC Aside from Hugo wasn't it established that maybe aside from Katia, everyone has mostly avoided spending their starting skills? So presumably Fei hasn't bought any skill points either.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Compare and contrast Kumoko with her (presumably identical) siblings:

- Arrangement of eyes is the same, but other spiders are lacking the human-looking ones
- Kumoko has more rounded shapes and is less rigid in her movements.
- She also has more pink in her design.

In general, she's like a cartoon version of the other spiders. Presumably this is all her mental image of herself / the audience.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wonder if Fei has the same deal with her fellow baby dragons?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Compare and contrast Kumoko with her (presumably identical) siblings:

- Arrangement of eyes is the same, but other spiders are lacking the human-looking ones
- Kumoko has more rounded shapes and is less rigid in her movements.
- She also has more pink in her design.

In general, she's like a cartoon version of the other spiders. Presumably this is all her mental image of herself / the audience.

Isn't she described as looking like a larger version of a normal spider in the WN version? Actually, I think in the WN version taratects are black, instead of white with black spots.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

It could be maybe there's a damage bonus if its kin vs kin? It would make a certain kind of sense while also being taboo. Humans have a easier time killing humans while monsters have a harder time killing humans?

IIRC Aside from Hugo wasn't it established that maybe aside from Katia, everyone has mostly avoided spending their starting skills? So presumably Fei hasn't bought any skill points either.
Don't forget cult girl who almost certainly spent all of her points.

Gyges posted:

I still think all the Kumoko stuff is actually happening 15 or so years before all the human stuff.
We aren't given any confirmation of this, though if we assume everyone isekaied in at the same time, the age of the human characters should give an idea of the potential time gap. The LN does give a specific answer to this in a timeline at the end of volume 5 which tells us the kumoko stuff is about 10 years beforehand

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The human reincarnations seem to carry over facial features from their previous lives (even the red-haired girl). While that may just be artistic license for the sake of the audience, it can be reasoned that even the monster reincarnations would carry over those same human characteristics from their past selves.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Everybody's last memory is the classroom exploding (I recon it was a truck-bomb).

The AoE version of the isekai truck

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Super Jay Mann posted:

So I'm a Spider, so What? Starring Aoi Yuuki and Aoi Yuuki. Special Guest Aoi Yuuki. And now, introducing, Aoi Yuuki.
This should be the new thread title.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doodles posted:

This should be the new thread title.

If it fits, I'd say :yeah:

Mods?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

If it fits, I'd say :yeah:

Mods?

:mods:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where did the Kumoko name come from anyway? Actually has she referred herself to Kumoko outside of the ED?

AFAIK it's just shorthand for the title because it's a bit of a mouthful and didn't have an easily digestible shorthand back when it was in English only via MTL-with-slight-editing WN. Kumoko aka the one with the girl spider reincarnation.

Lurking Haro posted:

Nice that there is some support to her human features just being an artistic choice.

A nice touch in the LN/manga is the illustrations of her various evolutions showing what the non-Kumo version looks like. I always took it as an obvious artistic choice to make her stand out/make her more relatable, especially for those with arachnophobia.

Argas fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 1, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

That earth flashback was a bit different than the original version:

Shun saw Wakaba Hiiro getting harrassed on the way to the vending machine, but did not interfere. She just glared at Shinohara which caused her to back down, without any distraction from Shun. He feels bad for not stepping in, and thinks that Kyouya probably would have done so if he was there.
Then on the way back from the vending machine, Shun took a different route to avoid going past that area again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Very important episode today!

We meet (summary of today's episode) Black, D, all the demon lord's Lt commanders, get a show of her power, and Shun becomes the new hero!

I'm excited to see what the anime only folks make of this episode.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

And now we know for sure that theres a time skip between plot lines . There were hints of it before but now its confirmed.

And we get to see what Kumoko really looks like at the start

No habla isekai

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 5, 2021

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Holy gently caress this episode was excellent.

Also:

DurosKlav posted:

No habla isekai

thread title right there

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hayami Saori as D :swoon:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DurosKlav posted:

And now we know for sure that theres a time skip between plot lines . There were hints of it before but now its confirmed.

And we get to see what Kumoko really looks like at the start

No habla isekai

Not only that they also outright tell us how long said time skip is, though off the top of my head it's a little different than the LN.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tamba posted:

Hayami Saori as D :swoon:

Rachel from Tower of God as an evil god is a good pick

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Very important episode today!

We meet (summary of today's episode) Black, D, all the demon lord's Lt commanders, get a show of her power, and Shun becomes the new hero!

I'm excited to see what the anime only folks make of this episode.

Random thoughts/predictions/questions in no particular order:
1. The cloaked Demon LT who looked like a cleric is a follower of The Voice Cult and will have some connection/fight/relationship with crazy Voice Cult girl in Shun's class.
2. If Black is an admin, does that make D a super admin? There's obviously some hierarchy going on here.
3. The time split between the two story arcs makes me wonder if the admin system was always in place or whether it was created/modified by the isekai'd class in response to poo poo that happened in the intervening time.
4. The time split doesn't mean it's confirmed which story happened first chronologically. (I'm still holding on to my pet theory that Kumoko is a reincarnation of a reincarnation, though that's probably way off at this point.)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like the implication that after being worried about her for all this time, Fei (or maybe an ancestor of her's) was only not Wakaba's lunch because she couldn't break her egg.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

4. The time split doesn't mean it's confirmed which story happened first chronologically. (I'm still holding on to my pet theory that Kumoko is a reincarnation of a reincarnation, though that's probably way off at this point.)

Unless there was another terratect with a dragon egg that had its nest invaded by humans and had their dragon egg stolen, I think it's kind of explicit that the kumoko story is taking place 15 years prior to the classmates story, regardless of her reincarnation status

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Interesting awesome as gently caress episode.

BTW, so I don't have to risk LN spoilers by googling people, is it possible for the thread OP to add the cast to the OP with their original names/fantasy isekai names?

Episode:

A 15 year gap is definitely a surprise to me as the manga doesn't make that clear yet. I wonder if this episode is setting up a bait and switch.

Who voices Demon Lord girl?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

A 15 year gap is definitely a surprise to me as the manga doesn't make that clear yet. I wonder if this episode is setting up a bait and switch.

Uesaka Sumire

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sumire Uesaka

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

Random thoughts/predictions/questions in no particular order:
2. If Black is an admin, does that make D a super admin? There's obviously some hierarchy going on here.

I believe the part where Wisdom is made on the spot said something about D being a high level admin.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

All the baiting that Kumoko is the Demon King would be more convincing if they didn't have different VAs.

Why is the admin a Demon General? GM PCs are broken.
And yet another question mark credit for Demon General Shiro/White.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

copy posted:

Unless there was another terratect with a dragon egg that had its nest invaded by humans and had their dragon egg stolen, I think it's kind of explicit that the kumoko story is taking place 15 years prior to the classmates story, regardless of her reincarnation status

I never take anything in anime (especially modern anime) at face value. Everything is a misdirect! :colbert:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 5, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Who was the person the demon girl internally apologized too? Yamada, I think? Is that Shun's previous name? Does this show actually expect us to keep up with two different names for all of those generic fantasy people?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

cant cook creole bream posted:

Who was the person the demon girl internally apologized too? Yamada, I think? Is that Shun's previous name? Does this show actually expect us to keep up with two different names for all of those generic fantasy people?

Hence why I asked OP to update the OP :v:

But I think its easier if you're watching it back to back or reading the LN to remember everyone.

Also tbf I imagine if the names were like Smith, Heinreich, Jake, Cindy we'd have an easier time remembering!

Get on it Xelkelvos :haw:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Correct, It's Shun's Japanese Name.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Great episode. The isekai language sounds cool as hell. I did notice that the council scene went out of it's way to avoid showing certain characters, Merazophis in particular.

Yeah, it's hard to keep track of names, especially when some characters have first and last names from each life, plus nicknames. Schlain Analeit was Yamada Shunsuke in his previous life, and his nickname is Shun in both lives. If you were paying attention this episode, then you noticed the Demon Lord went ahead and called him Yamada.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Real good episode, glad I'm not the only one who needs a cheat sheet to keep all these past names and isekai names in line.

that has to be such a lovely way to find out your brother died. "Your brother died, here's the hero title congrats!" Also I don't think I've seen any character throw out as many death flags as Julius did in that short amount time talking to Shun.

As for the demon lord
Definitely a fake out, if it's not that means Kumoko changed her voice from Aoi Yuuki and that's like super evil. The guy Kumoko met was talking about another girl before teleporting to Kumoko and I bet that's who ends up being the demon lord, maybe that's D?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's a little weird how they're handling the speaking conceit.

In the light novel and manga, Kumoko and Fei couldn't speak human language, having monster vocal cords. Fei picked up telepathy to talk to her classmates, and Kumoko couldn't talk to the black knight guy at all until D read her mind.

In the anime, Fei has been moving her mouth when she talks, but none of the non-isekai academy classmates (who think she has animal-level intelligence) around her react to her talking, so it seems like she is talking with telepathy and her mouth movements are a visual conceit, like Kumoko's more humanoid appearance.

But could the black knight hear Kumoko? Was she speaking japanese or gutteral spider screeches?

Edit: I saw a good character name cheatsheet elsewhere that I could repost. I just need to figure out if including or leaving out certain information would be less spoilery...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I did notice that Fei pointedly didn't say anything at all around Hero-dude, even though there were a couple of parts in the conversation where it would seem natural for her to say something. As an ignorant anime watcher I assumed that maybe she was speaking verbally but could only be heard by the other reincarnated people, but if it was telepathy then I guess the mouth moving was just a visual conceit and maybe she just didn't feel comfortable talking to big brother dead meat or whatever. at least now I know why there is a shot of captain isekai holding a scarf and wailing mournfully in the opening.

Bobulus posted:

Was she speaking japanese or gutteral spider screeches?

I'm going to go with "guttural spider screeches" because it's funnier and because it's very in keeping both with our protagonist and how she's being presented to us. This episode opened with a scene that among other things shows that Kumoko's appearance in the anime is not what she actually looks like, so it's a fairly natural follow-up to assume that when she tries to talk she does not actually sound like Aoi Yuki delivering Japanese in a madcap, stream-of-consciousness style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I'd go with spider screeches too and the fact that the isekai world inhabitants don't speak Japanese is just an interesting factoid.