Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

tsob posted:

i.e. they were kids when created and for a while after creation. More to the point, they were Wanda's kids specifically. Which, she wasn't a mother pre-WandaVision, so they had to be toddlers or young kids during the show unless the story was just going to have the kind of weird and messy origin you said you could do without.

they're already 10-year-olds who were born a few days/weeks earlier in an illusory sitcom world, after their mother was pregnant for all of a day or two, and aged themselves up twice, don't see how having them age up a third time would have been that much weirder (and it's still a good bit more straightforward than what Heinberg went with, IMO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

the people of westview just gonna be chilling with brainwashed agnes like they didn’t just see her flying around cackling and shooting purple lasers

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barry Convex posted:

they're already 10-year-olds who were born a few days/weeks earlier in an illusory sitcom world, after their mother was pregnant for all of a day or two, and aged themselves up twice, don't see how having them age up a third time would have been that much weirder (and it's still a good bit more straightforward than what Heinberg went with, IMO)

I wasn't saying they couldn't have aged them up again, I was saying that the two would have to be infants/children for at least some of their screen time and not actually suitable for romantic plotlines. They could have aged them up again in WandaVision certainly, but the origin of the characters in the comics already sets precedent for handling them in a different way and the more they age them up quickly, frankly, the weirder it becomes, since like Vision they're suddenly 2 week olds in romance situations. Which is kind of weird on it's own. At least Vision has the fact he's a computer and has problems understanding human behavior to explain his eccentricities with social interactions or anything else. Allowing the kids a point to stop and actually age normally into teens or adults is nice on it's own.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

double negative posted:

the people of westview just gonna be chilling with brainwashed agnes like they didn’t just see her flying around cackling and shooting purple lasers

lol SWORD definitely scooped her rear end up, she just doesn't know who she is or why she's in superjail

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Firebert posted:

lol SWORD definitely scooped her rear end up, she just doesn't know who she is or why she's in superjail

Or worse; she knows and can only scream inside her own head, while plastering on a fake persona that covers it entirely. Which seems to be the precedent Westview sets.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Series was good overall, but the finale was a bit underwhelming. Felt like they could've done a lot more with it in a number of areas but I guess that's what happens when fan speculation gets out of control, not that it was really the show's fault. Did we ever find out who the aerospace engineer or the super special "Luke in Mandalorian level" cameo was supposed to be?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

DaveKap posted:

I have to think Ralph was the witsec guy who went missing because 1: Why would he have a picture of himself with a name on it if it weren't some document supplied by the program and 2: Woo says in ep 4 that he called people who were supposed to know Ralph and none of them knew who he was talking about. Of course nobody would know him if he's from another dimension. Also it really is so stupid to do this casting and point it out within the show purely as a nod and a wink to viewers. That doesn't track for me at all.

Hi yeah. If this has been explained, please disregard

Thats a head shot. Hes an actor, which is probably why he has a lot of bills and staying in an attic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So much potential for cool things and it basically all fell apart for standard MCU pew-pew'ing and no consequences for anyones actions.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

So much potential for cool things and it basically all fell apart for standard MCU pew-pew'ing and no consequences for anyones actions.

Gotta sell the movies that are never coming out somehow

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So were Fietro's powers just Agatha loving around or what

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So were Fietro's powers just Agatha loving around or what

i think the implication is just that but, honestly, marvel will reverse-engineer some more profound explanation if they want that character to appear at all in future movies.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's was a good episode with some great scenes and acting. I don't think it was a good season finale.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

only moment i particularly liked was vision passing the persuasion check against other vision.

given how it played out, i would've rather they just not included evan peters at all, but i guess ralph bohner is a kinda funny thumb in the eye of the viewer

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I know looking for internal logic in this business if foolish, but where was Strange during this bullshit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm curious how much covid fuckery is going to change perception and/or content of this ending.

Originally the Dr strange film was set to release in may of this year, with wandavision in spring. Seems like they originally wrote it to more or less directly roll into the film, while there is now going to be a gap of about a year before we see the follow up.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Blue Raider posted:

I know looking for internal logic in this business if foolish, but where was Strange during this bullshit.

Chilling in New York with his cloak* friend.

*Edit: Bilingual messed up lol

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 5, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Series was good overall, but the finale was a bit underwhelming. Felt like they could've done a lot more with it in a number of areas but I guess that's what happens when fan speculation gets out of control, not that it was really the show's fault. Did we ever find out who the aerospace engineer or the super special "Luke in Mandalorian level" cameo was supposed to be?

As a rule of thumb, in recent years of TV, the second to last episode is where all the turns happen, and the final episode is typically just a straightforward epilogue.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Caros posted:

I'm curious how much covid fuckery is going to change perception and/or content of this ending.

Originally the Dr strange film was set to release in may of this year, with wandavision in spring. Seems like they originally wrote it to more or less directly roll into the film, while there is now going to be a gap of about a year before we see the follow up.

Don't worry, they'll just open the Strange movie with "Previously on WandaVision"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Harlock posted:

It's also super unclear what Heyward's crime(s) are. I can maybe connect the dots on - well, he fired a missile into a bunch of hostages, which is bad enough, but I don't think they make it super clear what his transgressions are aside from being a poor foil to the hero inside the bubble.

Well, at the most basic level, he lied about his activities to the FBI and probably DoD/SWORD in general; misuse of personnel/materiel is a big deal, especially if his end goal was self-serving (gain power/influence). Reprogramming Vision is bad, and unethical, but it's a bit hairy, because he's the director of SWORD, and they had rights to Vision; regardless, weaponizing/deployment of Vision is probably also really bad. In real life, there'd be a really deep dive into his actions/engagement, including detaining an FBI agent, attacking an Avenger, providing claims of theft by Wanda using doctored footage to the FBI, and so on. Heyward would likely end up as the scapegoat for the entire mess, and spend the rest of his life in prison..

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The show definitely had some interesting things to say about Vision's personhood. He's a person as much as he's able to own a house/have a deed, but assuming Heyward isn't lying - his body/corpse belongs to SWORD. I know that this has been a very 'Wanda' problem in the show, but I'd have to think if that wasn't true via governmental red tape or whatever, one of the other Avengers should have stopped it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The_Doctor posted:

I noticed those because I’m familiar with them. They’re called vèvès, and they’re from voodoo. They act as a sort of representation/attraction point for the loa, spirits that play an important part in voodoo. Each loa has its own specific vèvè.

Ooh neat! Thanks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is something both funny and sad about fans making up theories in their head, and then getting mad at the showrunners for not making exactly that.

I thought it was a good finale to a great show, the only real problem I have is that Agnes as a character is a lot more fun than Agatha.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Harlock posted:

The show definitely had some interesting things to say about Vision's personhood. He's a person as much as he's able to own a house/have a deed, but assuming Heyward isn't lying - his body/corpse belongs to SWORD. I know that this has been a very 'Wanda' problem in the show, but I'd have to think if that wasn't true via governmental red tape or whatever, one of the other Avengers should have stopped it?

I loving laughed when I saw his legal name on that deed was "Vision, The"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Harlock posted:

What Avengers? Cap is, for all intents and purposes, gone. Iron Man is dead. Thor is probably off planet with GotG. Ant-Man is anti-authority. Black Widow is dead, Hawkeye is off the grid, and Falcon/Bucky will be updated shortly. Spider-Man is back to NYC, and was only connected via Happy/Iron Man. War Machine is basically a janitor (in that he just goes and cleans up Tony's/gov't's messes, and doesn't ask questions), and Captain Marvel is also off planet. (Whomever is the) Black Panther is in Wakanda and isn't really present.

Edit: Hulk is around, but he probably just isolates himself in whatever lab.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

not only is there speculation with Young Avengers, but West Coast Avengers, with white vision around now.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Red posted:

What Avengers? Cap is, for all intents and purposes, gone. Iron Man is dead. Thor is probably off planet with GotG. Ant-Man is anti-authority. Black Widow is dead, Hawkeye is off the grid, and Falcon/Bucky will be updated shortly. Spider-Man is back to NYC, and was only connected via Happy/Iron Man. War Machine is basically a janitor (in that he just goes and cleans up Tony's/gov't's messes, and doesn't ask questions), and Captain Marvel is also off planet. (Whomever is the) Black Panther is in Wakanda and isn't really present.

Edit: Hulk is around, but he probably just isolates himself in whatever lab.

At the end the only reasonable expectations of an avenger appearing was Jimmy calling Ant-man to help him escape or Dr Strange coming to help. Which yknow he should've done in the second episode but whatever. The only other real avenger left is Hulk and what's he gonna do just punch the hex with his good arm? The only avenger left who'd even have had a conversation with Wanda is ant-man (when they were in prison)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why didn't iphone Vision seek Wanda out in the post credit?

He had to process things... he is running on an i3 processor.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Good emotional ending, I never had any pet theories so I didn't have any disappointments in that regard. I was hoping for at least a vague explanation about Pietro from X-Men but I guess it was just a fun reference for viewers. The finale of Marvel stuff is always a bit generic-action-ish, so that wasn't surprising, but I liked the emotional payoffs.

I was surprised/impressed that they let "our" Vision die at the end, I figured we were heading for a "merging" of the two.

Overall, this show was very much my poo poo. Twilight zone mysteries, great and accurate recreations of classic TV, big emotional drama, and superhero fights. Two thumbs up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My hope is that these Disney+ series do tie into the MCU as validly as the movies do. All the other series seemingly set in the MCU (AoS, the Netflix series, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, etc) have all felt so tenuous. I think the biggest movie link to any of them was in Age of Ultron when Fury said some old friends had kept the helicarrier in mothballs for him, which is particularly weak.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oasx posted:

There is something both funny and sad about fans making up theories in their head, and then getting mad at the showrunners for not making exactly that.

I thought it was a good finale to a great show, the only real problem I have is that Agnes as a character is a lot more fun than Agatha.
Honestly it's just refreshing to see a show do that, too much stuff nowadays gets shifted for nerds pitching a fit or "figuring out the plot so we got to make a last minute twist"

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Ishamael posted:

I was surprised/impressed that they let "our" Vision die at the end, I figured we were heading for a "merging" of the two.
That's certainly what I thought was happening when he copied his memories to the blank Vision after the Ship of Theseus discussion, but then they seemed to immediately forget they did that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aidan_702 posted:

At the end the only reasonable expectations of an avenger appearing was Jimmy calling Ant-man to help him escape or Dr Strange coming to help. Which yknow he should've done in the second episode but whatever. The only other real avenger left is Hulk and what's he gonna do just punch the hex with his good arm? The only avenger left who'd even have had a conversation with Wanda is ant-man (when they were in prison)

I honestly don't even think it's something he'd care about, so I don't have a problem with it personally. He might notice it and peg it as something to keep an eye on, but Strange is concerned with magical problems that involve the whole universe or dimension, not something localized entirely to one town in New Jersey. He makes it clear to Tony in Infinity War that he's happy to let Tony and Peter die if it comes down to a choice between them and the Time Stone for instance. He's not concerned with something that only involves a couple of thousand people, most likely. Nevermind that he probably has some poo poo to sort out himself having just resurrected post blip after having been dead for 5 years, and Earth having neither a Sorcerer Supreme or a Time Stone during that time. He very well could be off fighting demonic forces in another dimension or something, for all we know.

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

That's certainly what I thought was happening when he copied his memories to the blank Vision after the Ship of Theseus discussion, but then they seemed to immediately forget they did that.

He wasn't transferring his memories to the other Vision; he was unlocking that Vision's memories, since that Vision is still the body of the original, and those memories were just locked away. That's why it's only memories pre-WandaVision.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 5, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

He didn't copy his memories, he unlocked the memories that were already in there. And White Vision will be back eventually for sure.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I see a lot of people here say weeks and months occurred in the Hex. Was there ever a time frame for how long actually passed, in and out? It seems odd, because the final goodbye inside is at night, then Wanda is at the house during the day, so time clearly passes differently inside.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I noticed those because I’m familiar with them. They’re called vèvès, and they’re from voodoo. They act as a sort of representation/attraction point for the loa, spirits that play an important part in voodoo. Each loa has its own specific vèvè.

So, Dr. Voodoo confirmed?

XboxPants posted:

I loving laughed when I saw his legal name on that deed was "Vision, The"

The Vision, The

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Seedge posted:

I see a lot of people here say weeks and months occurred in the Hex. Was there ever a time frame for how long actually passed, in and out? It seems odd, because the final goodbye inside is at night, then Wanda is at the house during the day, so time clearly passes differently inside.

in the fourth episode, woo talks about how the fbi lost contact with its witness three weeks ago. there's a bunch of scenes from inside the hex in the background of SWORD's headquarters that we never see in full, which i think heavily implies that there's at least a few "episodes" between the wandavision episodes we see.

so, i think the best case scenario is that the hex was around for a month in the real world? probably much, much longer if you take SWORD seriously when they say that they watched enough episodes to identify each and every person inside the Hex and their role in the show.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 5, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

mcbexx posted:

So riddle me this:

If only the witch who cast the runes in a particular space can perform magic, how does Agnes stay afloat?

Wanda seems to gently float her down to the ground, so I get the sense Wanda was just keeping her there as the runes activated.

Really hoping for a WonderVision sequel, to bring in Wonder Man and Grim Reaper now that Vision hosed off to who knows where.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Well that finale loving sucked. Show had some mildly interesting concepts, but the previous episode basically said gently caress that and then this episode they decided to just not care about the other interesting characters and it turned into C-tier marvel movie.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
If the Macedonian Tau-Lambda of Theseus is destroyed in ceremonial combat with the son of the God of the Dead, and then re-built with entirely new materials, is it still the Macedonian Tau-Lambda of Theseus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I liked it. It was a big underwhelming especially as the kickoff for Phase 4 since our only big teases were for Captain Marvel 2 and Dr. Strange 2. I think the way they resolved Mr. Boner was vague enough that the door is still open for some X-men nonsense, since the nature of that necklace that was giving him his powers wasn't really explained and the fact that he laughed at his own name implies that either 1) it was Pietro (or Peter I suppose)'s personality inside Robert's body finding the name amusing or 2) that the name itself was just fake. But it was underwhelming in the same way I felt Endgame was after Infinity War blew me away. It was a long run of artistic success choosing to reign itself in and just bring everything in for a nice easy landing rather than shooting for the stars and possibly exploding spectacularly on the one yard line. It paid off every story thread it needed to pay off in a satisfying way with no MAJOR faceplants, and that's all a finale needs to be. But I will lament a bit that it could have been much more with a bit of ambition.

I don't really get people's anger about Wanda's "lack of comeuppance." She wiped out her own children and her true love to fix what she did wrong, and she's a hated outlaw living in exile now. How much punishment does she need? Do you really need to see her rotting in a jail cell to feel like justice has been done to the people she hurt? Does she really need to be ostracized by White Vision or dealt some other crippling emotional blow for her to "learn her lesson?" Does she need to die for having done this? The eye for an eye sentiments are pretty gross IMO.

Anyway, very interested to see what becomes of White Vision after what's gone down, hoping to see Agatha back for Dr. Strange 2, excited for Monica going to space and glad that the kids are apparently savable. All good notes to end the show on, and Phase 4 is off to a great start. Hype as gently caress for Falcon and Winter Soldier!