Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Red posted:

What Avengers? Cap is, for all intents and purposes, gone. Iron Man is dead. Thor is probably off planet with GotG. Ant-Man is anti-authority. Black Widow is dead, Hawkeye is off the grid, and Falcon/Bucky will be updated shortly. Spider-Man is back to NYC, and was only connected via Happy/Iron Man. War Machine is basically a janitor (in that he just goes and cleans up Tony's/gov't's messes, and doesn't ask questions), and Captain Marvel is also off planet. (Whomever is the) Black Panther is in Wakanda and isn't really present.

Edit: Hulk is around, but he probably just isolates himself in whatever lab.

I think he meant stopping a government agency from taking their friend's corpse to do whatever with.

Vision died in Infinity War, and Cap/Tony/Thor/Hulk/Widow had five years to find out what SWORD was trying to do and were either on board or didn't care enough to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1367795732506234880

The finale was almost entirely underwhelming except for Scarlet Witch sparing Agatha's life.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Well that finale loving sucked. Show had some mildly interesting concepts, but the previous episode basically said gently caress that and then this episode they decided to just not care about the other interesting characters and it turned into C-tier marvel movie.

I thought it was cooking up to something interesting around episodes 5-6, but yep, it was pretty boring.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

I think he meant stopping a government agency from taking their friend's corpse to do whatever with.

Vision died in Infinity War, and Cap/Tony/Thor/Hulk/Widow had five years to find out what SWORD was trying to do and were either on board or didn't care enough to stop it.

They were still taking Vision apart when Wanda came by a couple weeks after Endgame. It seems likely that Acting Director Heyward had only recently started messing around with him.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Shneak posted:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1367795732506234880

The finale was almost entirely underwhelming except for Scarlet Witch sparing Agatha's life.

Oh she could have double casted herself as wanda AND Vision with her robotic and emotionless acting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sanguinia posted:

I don't really get people's anger about Wanda's "lack of comeuppance." She wiped out her own children and her true love to fix what she did wrong, and she's a hated outlaw living in exile now. How much punishment does she need? Do you really need to see her rotting in a jail cell to feel like justice has been done to the people she hurt? Does she really need to be ostracized by White Vision or dealt some other crippling emotional blow for her to "learn her lesson?" Does she need to die for having done this? The eye for an eye sentiments are pretty gross IMO.

There's an interesting conversation you could have there, about what moral/legal consequences there would be for someone who commits what's effectively a brand-new crime, and/or for whom traditional legal punishments can't really be applied.

But yeah, I thought the point there was reasonably straightforward, and I'm surprised to see that complaint this morning. There wasn't really anything she could say or do to make up for it, so she acknowledges her culpability, fixes the problem at great personal cost to herself, and leaves. That was the whole point of the exchange with Monica, that what Wanda did was understandable but not forgivable.

Granted, they did just give themselves a dandy out the next time they need to come up with a supervillain on short notice. "I used to live in Westview" is now a handy source of grievance for any random schmoe who manages to find an old relic, alien gun, or origin story somewhere.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

in the fourth episode, woo talks about how the fbi lost contact with its witness three weeks ago. there's a bunch of scenes from inside the hex in the background of SWORD's headquarters that we never see in full, which i think heavily implies that there's at least a few "episodes" between the wandavision episodes we see.

so, i think the best case scenario is that the hex was around for a month in the real world? probably much, much longer if you take SWORD seriously when they say that they watched enough episodes to identify each and every person inside the Hex and their role in the show.

No, the three weeks was a reference to Monica being back at the job after being de-Snapped ("It's been three weeks and you're the first to report."). Woo's witness went missing "this morning", i.e. the same day that the scene where he and Monica meet.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Andrew_1985 posted:

My main gripe with the finale Agatha’s makeup.

Actually, Wanda should have at least apologised to the town in SOME capacity instead or wearing a hoodie and taking off like a sullen teen.

Still, really enjoyed it overall.

Kathryn Hahn really was the MVP

And Wanda should have apologized how, exactly? "Yeah, folks, about the whole enslaving you in my sitcom world, denying you your children and foisting my nightmares on you all. Um, super-duper sorry about that. Oops my bad." I was okay with how that ended. She hurt and violated these people horribly. There's nothing she can say or do to make any of it right or fix it. They just have to try to live with what she did to them and Wanda has to live with knowing that they have to live with what she did to them.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

live with fruit posted:

They were still taking Vision apart when Wanda came by a couple weeks after Endgame. It seems likely that Acting Director Heyward had only recently started messing around with him.

Either that or the wheeled him back out for Wanda's benefit when he (correctly) guessed that she'd be somehow able to reboot him. Maria died two years into the Blip so Hayward has been in charge for a while.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

My Face When posted:

Oh she could have double casted herself as wanda AND Vision with her robotic and emotionless acting.

Mean Girls owns

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mean Girls is worth it for this scene alone.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
The ending didn't quite nail it for me on all points, but solid overall. I would gladly watch WandaVision all over again to see the Easter eggs and plot points I missed. The show is a visual delight even if the plot is Swiss cheese.

So what's next in the Marvel Televised Universe? I know Falcon and Winter Soldier is on deck, but Disney has to keep these subscribers hooked for another month or two until it's released.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
So were the kids largely locked away for a plot reason I'm forgetting, or was it just a way the writers could make Wanda's actions less monstrous? (enslaving adults into her sitcom fantasy world but not their children)

Really fun, mysterious show with kind of a meh last two episodes. Absolutely loved Vision destroying Other Vision with facts and logic. Absolutely hated the Evan Peters stunt casting fake-out, assuming some of the long game theories in this thread don't shake out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hobo Clown posted:

Everybody was emotionally destroyed, though; I can see no one thinking about the details.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

animeluva1 posted:

So what's next in the Marvel Televised Universe? I know Falcon and Winter Soldier is on deck, but Disney has to keep these subscribers hooked for another month or two until it's released.

Loki. But it comes a month after F&WS ends, I believe (I also think it was mentioned that Star Wars the Bad Batch will be streaming in the month we don't get MCU stuff)

So, I hope Loki is great because I love Hiddleston's Loki.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Have I got this right re Vision:

1. Vision is killed by Thanos
2. Wanda discovers Vision's body
3. Wanda creates 'Love' Vision
4. SWORD constructs White Vision from Vision's body
5. White Vision is powered on by remnant Wanda energy in missile.
5. Love Vision unlocks White Vision's memories
= Vision is resurrected.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

animeluva1 posted:

I know Falcon and Winter Soldier is on deck, but Disney has to keep these subscribers hooked for another month or two until it's released.

Falcon and Winter Soldier is the week after next I think. They seem to be planning on having something going on Disney + pretty much all the time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pretty typical "Marvel is way better at setup than pay off" situation, I give the finale a 6/10. Very rushed, lot of CGI fights but not a lot of time to let things breath.

Also this is the second time a large group of people have gotten screwed over for the sake of Wanda and Vision's love and the story tries to frame it as justified or at the very least sympathetic. Remember all those warriors from Wakanda who got sent to the slaughter to protect Vision because killing him would have been morally wrong, but it's okay to instead send waves and waves of people to die for him?

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Wanda sucks. She willing enslaved people. But she's a protagonist in a Marvel movie so don't expect that to ever be addressed in any meaningful way. Much like Tony Stark her crimes just kind of don't count.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

animeluva1 posted:

The ending didn't quite nail it for me on all points, but solid overall. I would gladly watch WandaVision all over again to see the Easter eggs and plot points I missed. The show is a visual delight even if the plot is Swiss cheese.

F&WS comes out in two weeks.

Desperado Bones posted:

Loki. But it comes a month after F&WS ends, I believe (I also think it was mentioned that Star Wars the Bad Batch will be streaming in the month we don't get MCU stuff)

So, I hope Loki is great because I love Hiddleston's Loki.

Well, even if everything else about Loki is crap, you'll still have Hiddleston as Loki, so there's that.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

animeluva1 posted:

I thought that Falcon and Winter Soldier debuts in two weeks? Then Loki 2 weeks after the finale of that? Edit: my bad, it's 4 weeks after the end of F&WS but 2 weeks after Black Widow.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 5, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

animeluva1 posted:

Check the OP, I keep it updated.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Everyone posted:

Well, even if everything else about Loki is crap, you'll still have Hiddleston as Loki, so there's that.

Yeah, I'll just ignore the bad writing and admire his face. I also don't think his character is gonna make it at the end of the show. Unless is another one tied to the movies.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Raivin posted:

or was it just a way the writers could make Wanda's actions less monstrous? (enslaving adults into her sitcom fantasy world but not their children)

Locking young kids in their rooms to presumably watch through windows as their brainwashed parents act completely out of character and act like they don't exist is about the same level of monstrous, that poo poo would scar a kid I imagine.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
oof.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Jimmy: Well, why don't you call him Vision, and call the other one... Red Vision

Ralph: Red Vision? That's stupid! I know he's red

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My pet theory for the double Wanda's at the end is that its just a logical extension of her powers to make others act according to a script throughout the whole show. She astral projects and studies magic, meanwhile her body takes care of itself according to the script she gives it, thus allowing her to study 24/7 with no need for rest in any way.

I still don't get why so many people say they don't understand Hayward's motivation, when he spelled it out himself in a stupid evil speech.

Laying it out tho: Vision signed the accords because they granted him Personhood, in all nations recognizing the accords (this was in civil war)

We learn in episode 4 that vision specified that with his human rights he does not want to be brought back or used as a weapon. To violate that is to make the accords invalid.

Hayward in this episode said by making it look like Wanda brought back the weapon-vision and not SWORD, SWORD could take it under their control without violating the international treaty that is the Accords.

Which ultimately just means that he wanted the biggest gun and found a legal loophole to get it. Its not deep or rich or nuanced, it's guy who likes having power has a plan to get a whole lot of power. Remember that Vision alone kicked the rear end of Iron Man, Cap, and Thor in AoU. Getting a weapon of that grade is pretty huge.

I think that motivation is better than 'he is secretly the devil' or 'he is a kree trying to start a war on earth' or whatever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So if Pietro was just some guy, why did Wanda recognise him as Pietro?

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I got my timings and sequence of shows way off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The_Doctor posted:

Doesn't he say he is her brother first?

Also, something is definitely up with Pietro beyond being some guy. I don't think it ends with a straight troll. The obvious fake Boner last name, the headshot he has of himself, how he laughs at his own last name, and that Evan Peters would be locked out of being in the MCU for a cameo.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Andrew Verse posted:

No, the three weeks was a reference to Monica being back at the job after being de-Snapped ("It's been three weeks and you're the first to report."). Woo's witness went missing "this morning", i.e. the same day that the scene where he and Monica meet.

Ah, my bad. Thanks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The_Doctor posted:

re: Fake Pietro--

If you go back and watch the "Agatha All Along" clip, Agatha is influencing him when he shows up, and it takes Wanda a second to realize who he is/supposed to be. Once that happens, he gets "recast" by Wanda, gaining powers and certain memories that are specific to the two of them.

Agnes alludes to that in the next-to-last episode when she mentions she couldn't work with the original Pietro's body, since it was dead as hell and well outside the Hex. Fake Pietro is basically an experiment she ran on Wanda as part of her attempts to figure out how Wanda was creating something like Westview in the first place.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Wanderer posted:

re: Fake Pietro--

If you go back and watch the "Agatha All Along" clip, Agatha is influencing him when he shows up, and it takes Wanda a second to realize who he is/supposed to be. Once that happens, he gets "recast" by Wanda, gaining powers and certain memories that are specific to the two of them.

Agnes alludes to that in the next-to-last episode when she mentions she couldn't work with the original Pietro's body, since it was dead as hell and well outside the Hex. Fake Pietro is basically an experiment she ran on Wanda as part of her attempts to figure out how Wanda was creating something like Westview in the first place.

I don't think this is right. Its pretty clear that Pietro was getting his powers from the necklace that Monica ripped off, because as soon as it was gone he was begging for mercy rather than Doing A Speed. He got his powers from Agatha 100%, the thing was glowing purple.

What we don't know is the nature of that spell. My theory (biased by my hope for X-men) is that the necklace was acting as both as a control device for Agatha and a conduit for X-Men Verse Pietro to possess Mr. Boner. That gave him the speed powers, and why he laughs at his own name when he hears it: its not Peter's name, so he can have a giggle that its the name of the guy he's inhabiting

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

they really named this mfer ralph bohner

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Doesn't he say he is her brother first?

Also, something is definitely up with Pietro beyond being some guy. I don't think it ends with a straight troll. The obvious fake Boner last name, the headshot he has of himself, how he laughs at his own last name, and that Evan Peters would be locked out of being in the MCU for a cameo.

after the fake-out, i'm not putting in any hope that there's still some secret regarding 'Boner'. it was a way for them to have pietro have some relevance in WV, which is all about wanda's grief that includes her loss of her brother, while also giving the audience a wink who recognize him from the x-men movies.

i mean peters wouldn't really be locked out. i'm sure there are a lot of ways you can explain him actually showing up as the real quicksilver and still be completely unrelated to the dude that showed up in WV. hell they might not even have to explain it at all past a throwaway line mentioning that he looks a lot like a guy from westview.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I love how Hex Vision won the fight with New Vision by having enough points in persuasion and winning a conversation skill check. good poo poo

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Paul Bettany saying that he finally gets to work with a special actor and that there are fireworks during their scene together and then that scene being with himself was by far my favorite part.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

My guess is that the necklace which controlled him and gave him his superspeed also projected an illusion that was focused on Wanda that this was Pietro. However, since the illusion was focused on Wanda (perhaps to get through the magical/mental defenses that Agatha assumed she would have), everyone else just saw Ralph Bohner. And perhaps Ralph Bohner is a WitSec name for Peter "The Moxy" Maxim - an Anglified version of Peter Maximoff.

Or maybe he was always Peter Maximoff and Maximoff is the Sokovian version of Smith or something.

Basically Ralph is the MCU, non-powered counterpart to Quicksilver in the X-verse.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 5, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
In Agents of SHIELD the Darkhold corrupts those who read it, which is why they had an android read it, thinking it wouldn't corrupt her. So are we going to get a more villainous Scarlett Witch going forward?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I can't buy into Wanda's consequences being the loss of her fake family. They didn't exist to start with and only existed at the expense of the suffering of others.

If someone holds you hostage to live in your home, they aren't sacrificing anything to stop holding you hostage and give you your home back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

I noticed those because I’m familiar with them. They’re called vèvès, and they’re from voodoo. They act as a sort of representation/attraction point for the loa, spirits that play an important part in voodoo. Each loa has its own specific vèvè.
Huh, voodoo was pretty integral to Cloak & Dagger, so that's interesting.

swickles posted:

In Agents of SHIELD the Darkhold corrupts those who read it, which is why they had an android read it, thinking it wouldn't corrupt her. So are we going to get a more villainous Scarlett Witch going forward?
Given the whole backstory of the Scarlet Witch as a destined destroyer, I think it's pretty likely. Possibly she'll be an antagonist for at least part of Dr. Strange 2.