Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Not gonna get caught with my pants down and 25 max health when a raid suddenly comes a-knocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Cant imagine getting attacked by a skelly without my torches burning, that would be very spooky.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Real weird that people are surprised the axe in the viking game is also a weapon

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I ate a big xp loss by dicking around with 25 health one night and a troll showed up and I just ran at him, blocked something, had no stamina and was like oh poo poo lol. Then 2 nights later I did the same with a 2star shaman. Now I at least eat meat and mushroom

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Fart Car '97 posted:

Real weird that people are surprised the axe in the viking game is also a weapon

iirc the regular axe's 3rd hit isn't a power hit like for example the sword's so it's just an inferior slashing weapon

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ChristsDickWorship posted:

I ate a big xp loss by dicking around with 25 health one night and a troll showed up and I just ran at him, blocked something, had no stamina and was like oh poo poo lol. Then 2 nights later I did the same with a 2star shaman. Now I at least eat meat and mushroom

I did this because I was being too OCD building my house to gather food... then I died falling off a ladder :doh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CRAYON posted:

iirc the regular axe's 3rd hit isn't a power hit like for example the sword's so it's just an inferior slashing weapon

It has less durability too. The axe is a bad weapon.

(so is the sword, use maces like a pro!)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Wait do you lose XP when you die?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Doh004 posted:

Wait do you lose XP when you die?

you lose entire skillpoints

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yes, and I'm pretty sure skill gains slow down considerably around 30-50 so losing skills kinda legit hurts

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xzzy posted:

It has less durability too. The axe is a bad weapon.

(so is the sword, use maces like a pro!)

The silver sword would like a word with you.

Really though, swords shouldn't be underestimated. They have a poor damage type, but they attack quickly with a tiny backswing which lets you pop your shield up really quick after attacking, and they have a large arc which lets you hit a whole semicircle in front of you for groups, and because of the fast attack you can usually get your shield back up before you take any hits. Maces and axes have much better damage types, but the swing and stamina use leave you wide open for follow up attacks.

My preference for swords is definitely a specialization thing though - in the group I play with I am the frontliner who tries to get the attention of every enemy so my group can hit em with bows freely, so I expect to have a large group of enemies right on my shield most of the time, and swords really excel in that situation.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yes, and I'm pretty sure skill gains slow down considerably around 30-50 so losing skills kinda legit hurts

Skill gain is exponential, so each level costs considerably more than the one before it on a smooth curve. But skill loss is a flat %, so it definitely hurts a lot more as you get higher, because you're losing more time.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

toasterwarrior posted:

queeb posted:

you lose entire skillpoints

Ah poopy. I've definitely been sloppy with some deaths lately because it was easy for me to get back to my corpse...

Woden
May 6, 2006
Axes doubles as a chopping tool, so it's good if you're short on mats.
If you've got mats for a weapon, make a mace so you can do blunt damage instead of doubling up on slash.
Galaxy brain: make knives, they require less stam and you can get the tier 3 one with a lucky boat trip at the start of the game.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

toasterwarrior posted:

Yea, I almost never look at my skills but until I cared about dying I never got much past lvl 30 in anything

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The axe actually has the most powerful ability of all: saving you an inventory space because your weapon and woodchopping tool are the same thing instead of two different things.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I did this because I was being too OCD building my house to gather food... then I died falling off a ladder :doh:

Did the same thing last night building Wicker Man Alpha, and probably a half dozen times over the weekend rebuilding one of my bases. Knocked out a ton of my skill gains I'd made farming and grinding mats to build, too. BUT, it's also teaching me to be more situationally aware with my food and also reinforcing that fall damage hurts A LOT more than I think it does.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Will wolves chase you all the way from a mountain to your main fief? OH wait, I got this dang harpoon I always forget to use. Gonna dig up a wolf pit tonight.

We got our first silver last night, Golems went from scary threats we ran from while trying to trick it into mining for us, into just another jerk we roll up and bash. The "roll up" being key. My buddy couldn't do Dark Souls because his attack style is just "always be swinging." Same problem here, but he can block and survive a hit or almost two. The real key seems to be switching back to the OP swamp weapon. The first time we attacked, we weren't doing poo poo to him, even tried the mace. Then we got the idea to try a pickaxe, which did yellow damage, still died those initial attempts. When we finally just said gently caress it, let's just overwhelm with weak weapon attacks that are less finnicky than mining-attacks. I think our initial attempts mislead us and we didn't yet have an idea of about how much damage we should be dealing to it yet, and they were much lower because we were freezing pre-mead, plus it was night and extra stormy so I'm sure our damage was reduced heavily. Everything up here is manageable with just a quaff of the blue gatorade.

We got to the peaky peak of our mountain, only to see an even higher one in the distance. We also found something exciting up top, a dragon egg!! Brought it down via cart/fall with our one node of silver (73 ores), kept trying to add it to a Brazier or throw it on top of our cooking racks... to no effect. I'm adding this to the pile of objects we've picked up that may or may not be the next boss thingy, along with crystal and freeze booger. Hoping it's not the dragon egg, since carrying it back up the mountain will be much, much, much harder than launching it off a cliff and repairing/rebuilding cart on landing.

So far this new material tier is cool but also a little less of a big rush than previous tiers, but I suppose for sensible reasons. A pickaxe of this material wouldn't really make sense knowing the metal, but ain't stopped games before from embracing it. The recipes are also all surprisingly light on quantity compared to iron. With our 73 I was thinking, "great we'll have barely enough to make ourselves a tool or two" but after our first baby haul alone we've got some great stuff. Hell, the hardest part of this so far is realizing how much more Iron we want/need.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I have to say, I love the little ruins you can find. I initially found a tiny ruined stone tower and used it to start a base to explore the black forest and then once there, found another, much larger one you can actually climb well that I'm thinking about moving to. The first one was fun because i was getting there at nightfall and so had a tense night guarding a fire and throwing up some barebones structures between greydwarf attacks. I really need to find more Surtling cores and get started in bronze.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Taffer posted:

Skill gain is exponential, so each level costs considerably more than the one before it on a smooth curve. But skill loss is a flat %, so it definitely hurts a lot more as you get higher, because you're losing more time.

What's also fun is that your skills are stored as floating-point numbers so if you die at skill level 33, the game shows you as level 31 but you're actually level 31.35 and need enough skill points to get to level 32.35 to level up. So you can end up needing more XP to get each successive level than if you hadn't died.

Though on the flip side, the skill effects are mostly a linear interpolation so level 31.35 is better than 31.0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I have to say, I love the little ruins you can find. I initially found a tiny ruined stone tower and used it to start a base to explore the black forest and then once there, found another, much larger one you can actually climb well that I'm thinking about moving to. The first one was fun because i was getting there at nightfall and so had a tense night guarding a fire and throwing up some barebones structures between greydwarf attacks. I really need to find more Surtling cores and get started in bronze.

I found a pit, except it was in a swamp, so it was just a big pool of water with a chest at the bottom, taunting me.

Khanstant posted:

So far this new material tier is cool but also a little less of a big rush than previous tiers, but I suppose for sensible reasons. A pickaxe of this material wouldn't really make sense knowing the metal, but ain't stopped games before from embracing it. The recipes are also all surprisingly light on quantity compared to iron. With our 73 I was thinking, "great we'll have barely enough to make ourselves a tool or two" but after our first baby haul alone we've got some great stuff. Hell, the hardest part of this so far is realizing how much more Iron we want/need.

I really thing a lot of the more basic materials would be improved if you just got them by fighting, even if it's like, the enemies drop nuggets you have to combine 10>1 to make ore, just anything to give you a drip feed of basic metals so you don't have to grind away hours mining the stuff. Like if you enjoy just fighting stuff I think the game should let you do that to progress.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 5, 2021

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Ambaire posted:

This may be a revolutionary concept to some of you, but:

Light sources don't need to be lit at all times. Light them for comfort, or ambience, or screenshots, but it's fine if they aren't lit at other times. And you have the option of only adding 1 fuel instead of filling them completely. Same for campfires.

viking dads: just put on another jumper

viking children: but daaaad

_____!
May 2, 2004

I killed Eithkyr a couple weeks ago, hung it's head on the starting stone, received the message about stamina power. There is no icon on the bottom of the screen and hitting F does nothing nor do any buttons on the controller. Is my game bugged or am I missing something? Also what is the power activation button on controllers?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A note about shields:

The iron banded shield is actually not a dramatic upgrade over the bronze buckler. This is because the buckler has a parry bonus of 2x. This means its effective block power is double for parries, while the banded shield's parry bonus is only 1.5x, making the two roughly equal in parry ability. The banded shield does still have the advantage of being more solid for static blocking, and more importantly looking like a proper Viking shield instead of some bronze age relic, but in practice it's not a critical difference.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

There is something atmospheric about coming to a base you haven't used in a while and it's cold and dark, so you light it all up work in the dark

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

_____! posted:

I killed Eithkyr a couple weeks ago, hung it's head on the starting stone, received the message about stamina power. There is no icon on the bottom of the screen and hitting F does nothing nor do any buttons on the controller. Is my game bugged or am I missing something? Also what is the power activation button on controllers?

Have you actually set Eikthyr as your active power at the starting stone?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

_____! posted:

You've got to activate the head on the stone to get the power "equipped", so just go back there and press E or whatever you have set on the hung Eikthyr head There should be an icon just to the right of your health/food bars if you do it. When that icon says 'Ready' you can press F to activate the power (lasts for 5 minutes, cooldown for 20 minutes). It's very useful though - 60% stamina drain from running/jumping makes exploring much easier.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gully Foyle posted:

You've got to activate the head on the stone to get the power "equipped", so just go back there and press E or whatever you have set on the hung Eikthyr head There should be an icon just to the right of your health/food bars if you do it. When that icon says 'Ready' you can press F to activate the power (lasts for 5 minutes, cooldown for 20 minutes). It's very useful though - 60% stamina drain from running/jumping makes exploring much easier.

So useful, in fact, that I've never swapped it out. I wish there was a power wheel thing, instead, and activating a power locked them all for 20min.

I suppose I should put a dedicated portal to the standing stones already.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the 4th boss one is situationally useful, but Eikthyr is the best one by far

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Telling people that troll leather armour is completely ok for the whole game is a bit if a dick move, imo.

I mean sure if they never stop paying attention and block the harder enemies every time, then sure. But the better armour means you can play a little lazier (and won't get one shot by an enemy you've not seen before/that's snuck up on you)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
^^^ Also you don’t get the final upgrade until after you can craft + upgrade your bronze or iron, so you do start to see a pretty significant gap between troll and bronze/iron. I’m not sure how much it matters, as even through the swamp I have yet to meet something that can’t get killed with 4-5 arrows max while kiting backwards.

Man I wish I started planting trees sooner. Planting a big rear end array of beech trees close by to your base and then first cutting them down, then breaking down the logs, makes it possible to fill a cart on <1 elder buff.

Cutting down all the actual trees causes a lot of collateral damage, so half the trees will knock themselves over/break up the logs themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Troll leather armour and an iron helmet.

_____!
May 2, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

Have you actually set Eikthyr as your active power at the starting stone?

Gully Foyle posted:

It gave me a message about the power being activated so I thought I did but next time I log in I'll have to make a trip back over to the spawn stones to make sure. Thank you both!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, you can't upgrade trollhide past level 2 without a certain mountains tier resource, which is needed for the required workbench upgrade. I'm pretty decent at the whole parry thing and found that skipping bronze armour is easy enough, but past that? Nah, make that iron poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, particularly once you get into the Mountains or Plains, the increased survivability you get is amazing. The movement debuff is still annoying af tho.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How does the armour calc work? Seems like it's sort of like new vegas style damage threshold, where it works better on lower damage attacks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jarmak posted:

The entrance to my base is an easy jump over a ditch. And yet

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OwlFancier posted:

How does the armour calc work? Seems like it's sort of like new vegas style damage threshold, where it works better on lower damage attacks.

From what I read: If an incoming attack's damage is more than double your armor value, it "penetrates" in which case it simply subtracts your armor value from the damage. If the damage is less than that, it uses some more complex equation that I can't remember specifically.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nordick posted:

A note about shields:

The iron banded shield is actually not a dramatic upgrade over the bronze buckler. This is because the buckler has a parry bonus of 2x. This means its effective block power is double for parries, while the banded shield's parry bonus is only 1.5x, making the two roughly equal in parry ability. The banded shield does still have the advantage of being more solid for static blocking, and more importantly looking like a proper Viking shield instead of some bronze age relic, but in practice it's not a critical difference.

i think the game also understands this because the banded shield requires mostly fine wood to acquire and upgrade. you can fully kit it out with about as much iron than it takes to make a single iron tool, and beyond that it's just finding some birch trees in a meadow.

bronze as an entire tier is in a weird spot IMO. the shield will give you sticker shock because it's actually pretty expensive compared to a lot of the other stuff on the tier, and troll leather armor being like 90% as good as bronze for 10% of the effort makes you not want any of the bronze armor, either. couple that with the general toxicity of having to smelt two kinds of poo poo and i can scarcely blame people for just getting some bronze tools, a bronze mace, and calling it a day.

which naturally leaves you hilariously open to being loving ACED by starred draugr with bows in the swamp the first time you step foot in the biome.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Nordick posted:

From what I read: If an incoming attack's damage is more than double your armor value, it "penetrates" in which case it simply subtracts your armor value from the damage. If the damage is less than that, it uses some more complex equation that I can't remember specifically.

finalDamage = damage² / (4 * armor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nordick posted:

If it's less then it works like wow where damage is divided by armor*constant. So, for raw damage of less than a hundred, the following is true- highest-upgraded cloak & helmet, plus highest upgraded troll armor, vs. just a highest-upgraded suit of armor:

Bronze - Troll takes +27% more damage
Iron & Silver - Troll takes +63% more damage

For damage that penetrates troll & not metal, these numbers are a fair bit worse.

EDIT: Oh actually it soudns like penetration damage isn't that bad.