Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows

Also Allison linked this Youtube video of a Flick Flack

Transmodiar posted:

Question for Modesty Blaise readers - there are two stories left after the one I just started. One is the last proper serial/newspaper comic, while the other is an adaptation Romero did of a Blaise book for an international publication. Which do you want to read last? The true conclusion or the final produced work?

My vote is for the true last newspaper comic (I assume your talking about The Zombie).

The_Other fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 3/4/01

Judging by the "California Psychics" commercials I occasionally see, there does seem to be a largely untapped market for fleecing gullible people who think they're going to talk to a real psychic on a pay-by-the-minute hotline.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 29, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 29, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 29, 1989)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

I remember thinking it was strange that boat dude just died unceremoniously when their boat ran into those mermen and he jumped into the ocean to try and save Axa. I don't know if he would've turned out to be an rear end in a top hat, but he probably would've been an okay companion rather than Jason.

Axa just has the incredibly unfortunate habit of shacking up with assholes.

Who gave a strangely recurring habit of ending their lines in ellipses, like smouldering dime store romance novel guys, Axa...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm in this picture and I don't like it etc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So I guess she's running Tara over? I guess good choice for drama because of the three recurring characters in this scene, Tara is the only one I could possibly give a poo poo about.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (February 10, 1990)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Julet Esqu posted:

So I guess she's running Tara over? I guess good choice for drama because of the three recurring characters in this scene, Tara is the only one I could possibly give a poo poo about.

So there was cash in the register overnight?

Also yeah, just back up and drive off. None of this makes sense (waving the cash out the window, running Tara down) unless it's someone wearing a terrible mask to frame Stella for some reason.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Some day I will make Mämmilä game. Like Stardew Valley, but cynical instead of optimistic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

This is the first strip I've seen where the boss just comes off as a complete piece of poo poo. I know he's kind of an rear end in a top hat in general but you can argue it's at least justified because "These are the rules and you gotta follow them even if you don't like them." But to just discourage an employee with "You think you can actually win a short story contest? You need to quit living in a dream world" is a whole other level.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kennel posted:

Some day I will make Mämmilä game. Like Stardew Valley, but cynical instead of optimistic.
Isn't that just My Summer Car?

Speaking of Scandinavian comics and adaptions thereof, has there ever been a Moomins game?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

FOOB is giving me the creeps but I never had a brother so what do I know about their opinions on training bras

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

For the love of god, Montresor!

1. gently caress you, Stuart.

2. Over/under on Josh having an "accident" in the stockroom?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

2. Over/under on Josh having an "accident" in the stockroom?

seventeen

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
iirc he goes to delmans or something

imo retail is the worst comic posted in this thread because no one does anything to improve their situation other than cooper's roof clubhouse. i am well aware that reality sucks complete and total rear end. which is why i read comics to escape from it not have it reinforced

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Raskolnikov38 posted:

iirc he goes to delmans or something

imo retail is the worst comic posted in this thread because no one does anything to improve their situation other than cooper's roof clubhouse. i am well aware that reality sucks complete and total rear end. which is why i read comics to escape from it not have it reinforced

Retail ended on a happy-esque note and I'm still sad it's been brought back for reruns in here because no, they were free and now we're back in retail hell forever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
counterpoint: I was Cooper and/or Marla for a lot of my life and Retail is a great comic strip

Maybe it would even make a CUSTOMER who reads it alter their behavior for the better, even a tiny bit

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StrixNebulosa posted:

Retail ended on a happy-esque note and I'm still sad it's been brought back for reruns in here because no, they were free and now we're back in retail hell forever.

the happy-esque note of marla telling stuart she wasn't going to work 2 weeks for a paycheck she would probably never recieve

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Retail tends to hit pretty close to home and accurately so Josh is going to be promoted ahead of everyone to another store or leave with an excellent recommendation to advance his career elsewhere, not being invested in the store as his lifetime career path at all. I'm guessing, having only seen what was in thread recently and the last year in the last thread.

Also depressingly true to life and how the strip ends for Marla, Cooper and Val. There isn't justice, there's just change.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have a link to where the last few Retail strips were posted? I can't remember how long ago it ended or who was posting them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the happy-esque note of marla telling stuart she wasn't going to work 2 weeks for a paycheck she would probably never recieve
Yeah... It was a bit of an "You've exploited and abused me and my cowoorkers for years but now I've inconvenienced you for a few hours so there! :smug:" moment to be honest. Not like he would just get a temp or two the next day from an agency who somehow manage to treat their cattle employees even worse. But I remember she did it perfectly by the book so he could only yell helplessly which was nice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

Yeah... It was a bit of an "You've exploited and abused me and my cowoorkers for years but now I've inconvenienced you for a few hours so there! :smug:" moment to be honest. Not like he would just get a temp or two the next day from an agency who somehow manage to treat their cattle employees even worse. But I remember she did it perfectly by the book so he could only yell helplessly which was nice.

He absolutely would not get a temp, he would have to do everything himself unless the DM did him a BIG favor

Retail managers don't have that kind of leeway

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't that just My Summer Car?

Speaking of Scandinavian comics and adaptions thereof, has there ever been a Moomins game?

A couple, though I think most of them have been cheap/simple kids-games and edutainment stuff, etc made during the popularity boom of the series in the 90s. None of any real note I think. It's not an IP that's been leveraged much into games.
One of the games we got in a bundle with a ... Hewlett Packard prebuilt desktop in early 2000-01 was a Moomin game. Standard kids fare thing with a couple puzzles and small games I think.
I vaguely remember them being on a boat, with some flying fish around.

Due to the revival of their popularity there are of course a bunch of mobile cash-in titles. Including a "farming simulator" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poppingames.moo
(Not actually a farming simulator, it looks like one of those super generic facebook games. It's probably exactly identical to a bunch of other games, just reskinned to use Moomin art.)

Which is a shame, because I imagine something like StardewMoomin Valley where you just relax and grow potatoes could be a smash hit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe it's just me but it's pretty rare for me to address my cousins as "cousin," I just call them by their names if I'm talking to them. It just feels really awkward and sounds dumb when you have to have a character say something unnatural like that.

I call one cousin Cuz and her husband Cousin-law because we're dorks and the pun makes us laugh every time. Her brother's referred to by name though, never thought about that until now.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I am a thief but I find my loot by following my estranged cousin around, ensuring she can identify me in front of witnesses.

I am not a good thief.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

He absolutely would not get a temp, he would have to do everything himself unless the DM did him a BIG favor

Retail managers don't have that kind of leeway
Stuart was the district manager by that point wasn't he? He was hardly ever there and spent a lot of time traveling around to different stores. Marla was the store manager at the end. Unless I remember completely wrong.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

Stuart was the district manager by that point wasn't he? He was hardly ever there and spent a lot of time traveling around to different stores. Marla was the store manager at the end. Unless I remember completely wrong.

Oh yeah that's right, you right.

Still can't just hire a temp probably, but can assign another manager to do double duty or do it himself

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

"Thanks for the juicy lead, Cuz. We're a bad team." Is this supposed to be The Speech of the Youth?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Forcing your boss to do some poo poo work himself for a day or two is literally the best possible ending afforded to us under late capitalism which makes Retail's ending pretty much perfect IMO even if I'd of preferred the version where the cast tosses Stewart in a wood chipper and sets the mall on fire.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fondue posted:

B Kliban

pls dont doxx me

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

fondue posted:

B Kliban

Feeling both of these today.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i know i’ve said it before, but gosh is kliban good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have a link to where the last few Retail strips were posted? I can't remember how long ago it ended or who was posting them.

It ended just over a year ago. Here's Selachian's post history from last year's thread, just ctrl-F though it for the word Retail:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908728&userid=190603&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The "is the store going under?" arc begins on page one of that link, and the whole thing wraps up on page two.