Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, particularly once you get into the Mountains or Plains, the increased survivability you get is amazing. The movement debuff is still annoying af tho.

It is noticeable when you first switch to it, but good to remember you're losing 2-3 levels of sprint speed and stamina-while-sprinting when you die around skill 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Ambaire posted:

So useful, in fact, that I've never swapped it out. I wish there was a power wheel thing, instead, and activating a power locked them all for 20min.

I suppose I should put a dedicated portal to the standing stones already.

They're an aoe so you can buff friends in multiplayer. For single player yeah, I just stick with the first buff unless doing something specific that warrants teleporting back and changing it.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Warbird posted:

Check my post history for the thread. Feel free to ask any questions you have or offer points to improve on. Just skip the gcp portions and/or reference the docs I’m talking about directly. I’d also suggest looking into Docker if you’re down to play with containers.

Thanks! Was gonna just try it out on my machine that i use as a plex server, but this sounds safer and easier.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Bronze tier would suck a lot less if you got 3 bronze ingots per synth instead of just a measly one.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Woden posted:

They're an aoe so you can buff friends in multiplayer. For single player yeah, I just stick with the first buff unless doing something specific that warrants teleporting back and changing it.

what the

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Trivia posted:

Bronze tier would suck a lot less if you got 3 bronze ingots per synth instead of just a measly one.

Am I imagining things or does copper sometimes just drop no ore at all? Just up the drop rate.
Edit: Also someone make a video about the bronze smelting process. Smaller than before!

_____!
May 2, 2004

Occasionally it will drop none but then then next chunk I pick at drops 2 ore. Anecdotal mind you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real problem with copper is the instant your pick makes a CLANK noise every dwarf in a thousand mile radius hears it and comes rushing to figure out wtf is going on. You spend half the time beating them back.

And sometimes they bring a troll along too.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

It's true! We had 5 on our server running around - everyone gathers together, someone pops their buff, we run for 5 minutes, next person pops their buff, rinse and repeat.

Sadly you can't get multiple buffs at a time - for instance, Boss 2 buff will overwrite Boss 1 buff.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trivia posted:

I think that might make it too easy, but getting 2 might make more sense since 2 copper go in and you could argue that you're doping them with tin.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Otacon posted:

It's true! We had 5 on our server running around - everyone gathers together, someone pops their buff, we run for 5 minutes, next person pops their buff, rinse and repeat.

Sadly you can't get multiple buffs at a time - for instance, Boss 2 buff will overwrite Boss 1 buff.

blowing my mind here. So with 4 people you can have 100% uptime on the eikthyr buff

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yall not bothering with picks is wild. The absolute first thing to build for any new tier of metal is a pick. That's what gets you more of that metal, faster, after all.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Fine wood to stronk to be ignored

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Get a iron helmet because it's cheap and no movement penalty, but I feel like I could of easily skipped iron chest/legs until I got silver, you do want some fancy armor for the plains just so you don't get randomly 1-2 shot by a javelin thrower or deathsquito you didn't see coming.

I built a bronze pickaxe but ultimately put it in storage because it was easier to just make a crafting station outside a crypt or next to a copper vein.

Another tip for beginners is knowing what the various status effects like rested, cold, wet do, you can check ingame by hitting tab and checking the raven but here they are:

Wet: Health regen -25% Stamina regen -15%, sit by a fire to dry up fast, you can also build campfires in crypts as the one dry place in the swamp.
Cold: Health regen -50% Stamina regen -25%, get the pelts for a warm cloak in the fourth or fifth biomes
Rested: Health regen +50% Stamina regen +100% Very important to rest up before adventuring or making a campfire as you go

125% health regen and 140% stamina regen difference between your high point and low point and fighting hordes of enemies at night can quickly turn into a war of attrition as it takes longer and longer to get the stamina to swing back.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Gone Fashing posted:

blowing my mind here. So with 4 people you can have 100% uptime on the eikthyr buff

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Another tip for beginners is knowing what the various status effects like rested, cold, wet do, you can check ingame by hitting tab and checking the raven but here they are:

Wet: Health regen -25% Stamina regen -15%, sit by a fire to dry up fast, you can also build campfires in crypts as the one dry place in the swamp.
Cold: Health regen -50% Stamina regen -25%, get the pelts for a warm cloak in the fourth or fifth biomes
Rested: Health regen +50% Stamina regen +100% Very important to rest up before adventuring or making a campfire as you go

125% health regen and 140% stamina regen difference between your high point and low point and fighting hordes of enemies at night can quickly turn into a war of attrition as it takes longer and longer to get the stamina to swing back.

To go with this:

Comfort matters. Each point of additional comfort adds a minute to the rested buff. And it's super easy to do. Even early game, don't forgot to throw down a rug (made with deer skin), or make a chair (fine wood, needs bronze axe) for a few extra points.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Alternately just never go outside at night :eng101:

I've decided bows are just the way to be. I get great amounts of amusement just standing on a rock in the middle of the plains at night and mowing down the 5 packs of roaming dudes. As an added bonus the way bodies decompose in this game it looks like I'm firing explosive arrows at them or something.

I'm up to 87 bow skill and it's just broken as all hell

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can shoot a surprisingly long way too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

You can shoot a surprisingly long way too.

Too far for the AI. You can actually stand far enough away they won't react or aggro when you shoot them

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Bows are just the best option most of the time, I didn't even touch most of the other stuff besides bows and a axe until iron.

On top of that, bow skill is probably one of the best skills to max out on because not only does it increase your damage per hit but it increases your draw speed to hit full power shots faster, even at 40ish bow skill you can charge it fast enough to stagger enemies quickly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does your accuracy improve too? That's one of the main things that stop me hitting the super long shots.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Does your accuracy improve too? That's one of the main things that stop me hitting the super long shots.

I feel the bow did more for that than the skill. The top bow has way way less dropoff/etc than the starter ones. Even at max range I only need to aim about twice their height to hit things

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

dogstile posted:

Telling people that troll leather armour is completely ok for the whole game is a bit if a dick move, imo.

I mean sure if they never stop paying attention and block the harder enemies every time, then sure. But the better armour means you can play a little lazier (and won't get one shot by an enemy you've not seen before/that's snuck up on you)

Troll armor isn't good enough to carry you past the swamp but fully upgraded troll armor definitely lets you prioritize other things that are relatively more important when you hit the bronze tier: bronze pickaxe, a bronze axe, an Ategir, a cultivator, a bronze mace, ect. Depending on your luck in the swamps that leaves you free to spend your iron on iron armor, which is actually a big upgrade over troll.

The reality is whether you invest in Iron or Bronze armor just depends on which of the metals you find a lot more of. If your seed has a lot of bronze and you aren't finding many crypts then just roll fully upgraded bronze armor into silver armor. Vice versa, it's entire possible to skip bronze, fully upgrade iron, and then skip silver to the final tier armor if you find a lot of crypts.

As a general rule you can skip any given tier of armor after Troll armor, imo.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 5, 2021

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

To go with this:

Comfort matters. Each point of additional comfort adds a minute to the rested buff. And it's super easy to do. Even early game, don't forgot to throw down a rug (made with deer skin), or make a chair (fine wood, needs bronze axe) for a few extra points.

Rested bonus also boosts your XP gains by 50% in everything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

I feel the bow did more for that than the skill. The top bow has way way less dropoff/etc than the starter ones. Even at max range I only need to aim about twice their height to hit things

I observed a speed increase, but I was more thinking about the actual accuracy, sometimes the arrows divert quite far off course even at max draw.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I FEEL like maybe the aim assist is a bit more forgiving but the bow is fairly... predictable & maybe I'm just getting better?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
How much of the cold resist armor do you need to skip on frost resist potions? I got just enough silver on the first silver trip to get a cloak and maybe a piece of armor.

Woden
May 6, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

How much of the cold resist armor do you need to skip on frost resist potions? I got just enough silver on the first silver trip to get a cloak and maybe a piece of armor.

One item with it is enough, so cloak or body slot will do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I only observed the chest piece actually giving the effect, and I believe it just has the same effect as the frost potion, it makes you "resistant" to frost as a qualitative thing. Just it made me not take freezing damage from the mountains.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Do Greydwarfs hate turnips? I'm thinking about where to set up a field and whether to do so inside my defensive parameter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really like how well the snapping pieces lend themselves to making cool looking timber buildings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

genericnick posted:

Do Greydwarfs hate turnips? I'm thinking about where to set up a field and whether to do so inside my defensive parameter.

They will claw at your turnips at night, you'll want to fence them in and maybe space some crafting benches around the edges of the fields.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Woden posted:

One item with it is enough, so cloak or body slot will do it.

Great, that way I turn that silver into something else.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

genericnick posted:

Yes and they hate all functional constructions created by players. They seem mixed on structural stuff and will mainly try to destroy it to get at a cart or boat or you or something.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Do better picks actually help for iron? I got the impression that the basic pick break down the piles as fast as any other pick, doesn't it? Is it about durability?

Of course getting an iron pick is never a wrong move because you won't outgrow it and you need it soon enough, but I'm not so excited about a bronze one. I don't think so need that much copper before getting to iron?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Vanadium posted:

Do better picks actually help for iron? I got the impression that the basic pick break down the piles as fast as any other pick, doesn't it? Is it about durability?

Of course getting an iron pick is never a wrong move because you won't outgrow it and you need it soon enough, but I'm not so excited about a bronze one. I don't think so need that much copper before getting to iron?

Yes it's just durability.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope down the line there is a bit of a rebalance of early metal costs, it takes 20 iron to make a iron bow and 60 more to fully upgrade it, just to end up with something that does less damage then the next tier basic bow.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Devs pls nerf wolf howls asap my WOLF PACK is doing me fookin head in

e] I just use stone wall for my pigs cos once they get broken out and wander off it seems basically impossible to get them back in. I have a bunch of 2 star tame boars roaming the nearby forest that I've been trying to lure back home, but they're too smart for me. So now my piggies are free-range I guess.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 5, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They will claw at your turnips at night, you'll want to fence them in and maybe space some crafting benches around the edges of the fields.

even just basic fences have kept my meadows friendly crops safe other than the one time a skeleton invasion appeared directly in the middle of the field

My less hospitable climate crops are safely behind stone walls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Yes and they hate all functional constructions created by players. They seem mixed on structural stuff and will mainly try to destroy it to get at a cart or boat or you or something.

Well, I was going to extend my murder ditches anyway. They're pretty great at murdering vikings at least.