Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

New Bronco looks extremely cool but after renting a recent Wrangler, I'd want to take it for a long test drive before buying. That Jeep was absolutely hell for wind noise on the highway, and I think it was in large part due to the roof design.
Fair point, and yeah, I definitely won't be buying one for awhile, if at all, and I'm absolutely not buying anything without a test drive.

I do definitely recognize that a JK/JL/Bronco isn't going to be the same level of quiet comfort as something like a GX, but I think I can still get away with it. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wranglers are indeed loud and incredibly annoying to drive in high winds. The hood will even flutter up and down, though it's not quite as bad on the JL model.

My YJ didn't do this, but the JK sure as hell did. I loving jumped the first time I caught a nice blast of wind from an oncoming semi.

I dailied the JK for 7 years. It's not a modern car, but it's loving fine.

*not accounting for reliability. gently caress that thing, and gently caress that company.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Since used car prices have gone nuts, financing a Bronco doesn't seem quite as crazy to me anymore.

Exactly, if you can get a good rate why not. Plus I'm willing to bet the new Bronco is going to depreciate just like a Wrangler (hardly at all) so that's not an issue either.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DoubleT2172 posted:

Why would a person need SO MANY yetis? Could probably have got a refrigerated van for less than the yetis cost

Yeti is headquartered in austin i am guessing it was a promo vehicle at some point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wranglers are indeed loud and incredibly annoying to drive in high winds. The hood will even flutter up and down, though it's not quite as bad on the JL model.

I had to drive my TJ in 40mph gusts last night.

That was no loving fun at all.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Godholio posted:

My YJ didn't do this, but the JK sure as hell did. I loving jumped the first time I caught a nice blast of wind from an oncoming semi.

I dailied the JK for 7 years. It's not a modern car, but it's loving fine.

*not accounting for reliability. gently caress that thing, and gently caress that company.

eh I actually have no complaints on reliability, both with the JKU I had and now the JLUR. It's my wife's daily and she gives exactly zero fucks about road noise, wind, or gas mileage (gets a very consistent 14.6 mpg combined lol)

I daily a bicycle but wouldn't mind picking up a new Honda Trail but those are impossible to find right now.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had to drive my TJ in 40mph gusts last night.

That was no loving fun at all.

It gets so much more exciting with a trailer :allears:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bonus points for death wobble.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

It gets so much more exciting with a trailer :allears:

I will never, ever, tow with my TJ.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bonus points for death wobble.

I've never had actual death wobble on either of my Jeeps but when I took one of those 40+ gusts as a direct crosswind, it pushed me over most of a lane and the whole thing had enough oscillation going on that if my suspension was any more worn, I'd have gotten it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd rather just tow a trailer with a Camry at this point

[e] Better and more economical than a Tacoma:

That's honestly the route I'm using now. Need to buy a trailer, though. The one I used to borrow got used to pick up a bunch of stuff that the owner has nowhere else to store, so it stays in the trailer. I have a Crown Vic and a Subaru Outback with hitches. I'm good.
Either that or a minivan, which is *significantly* less than a pickup or CUV/SUV of similar capacity.

TotalLossBrain posted:

<Tacoma seller insanity>

Yeah, buddy. Guess the insurance company didn't share your vision of the truck's worth?

opengl128 posted:

frigging boomers. Why is literally any non factory wheel a "mag" to them.

also lol those are just newer OEM toyota wheels.

Hey! They were "mag" wheels when I was a kid 40 years ago. I don't call them that through sheer force of will, and a sperg's pedantry to use correct terms.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, buddy. Guess the insurance company didn't share your vision of the truck's worth?

Love conquers depreciation.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I absolutely cannot right now but I want to

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/vancouver-1983-porsche-944/7286874671.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh sure it just needs a small part to run that I can't do before I sell it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

StormDrain posted:

For $600, it's implied there's more work there. If it really is rust free might make for a fun project.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

To be fair, it's a PITA to find parts for those now, and the j-boot probably isn't going to be found ina junkyard anywhere.

It also needs a new AFM, absolutely timing and balance shaft belts and a water pump, etc. So after dumping $1200 in parts, buying or borrowing $500+ worth of specialty tools to do the work you are left with.....some thing that has the wrong offset wheels on the back of it so who knows what kind of other fuckery has been going on.

Bajaha posted:

For $600, it's implied there's more work there. If it really is rust free might make for a fun project.

All 944s were fully galvanized. If you find rust it's been hit. Run away.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

$600 seems pretty good for just a shell and wheels, nevermind what engine parts are there, how cheap can it get when those wheels sell for $150+/ea on ebay?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

$600 seems pretty good for just a shell and wheels, nevermind what engine parts are there, how cheap can it get when those wheels sell for $150+/ea on ebay?

Sure, if you want to part a car out.

I've had 944s in better shape GIVEN to me "because you always seem to have one or two in your driveway so you much like them!.....this has been in my driveway under a tarp for......."

Trashed 944s are not in short supply. Nice ones are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've always liked those 928 phone dial rims.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Craigslist is terrible. I just used it to list an older kids' dirtbike for sale. I had to pay $5 to do it, which isn't terrible. The only responses I got so far were scams of decent sophistication. Both used non-local numbers, both used conversational English that wasn't just automatically generated from parsing the ad.
The first wanted to "send me a random number to verify my listing is real". They'll try to reset your CL account, CL sends you a verification #, and that's what they want to ? list fraudulent poo poo on your account or something? This seems like a long shot.
The second almost had me convinced that he was a serious buyer but driving 1200 miles for a $1500, 31-year old kids bike is dumb.
He wanted me to go to a very specific VIN checker site and pay for a report.

I paid FB $12 to boost my ad and that's gone way better. In conclusion, don't use CL to sell stuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Eh, I've had mixed results using CL, FB and Offer Up

YMMV

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TotalLossBrain posted:

I paid FB $12 to boost my ad and that's gone way better. In conclusion, don't use CL to sell stuff.

Look at facebook, right now, for cars, and you'll see a ton of '$1234' listings with "FACEBOOK WON'T LET ME PUT IN THE ACTUAL PRICE WHICH IS $____". That's facebook itself causing that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Selling poo poo on FBM is just so loving broken. I listed a very lightly used phone and had at least 20 "interested" people but all of them wanted to ask the same questions that were already addressed in the ad, and nobody wanted to make a serious offer that was anything other than an extreme lowball. Most of them would just ask "what's your best price".

Put the fucker on eBay with the exact same description, photos, and price, and it sold within 24 hours no questions asked. Only downside is eBay's steep as gently caress fees.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Look at facebook, right now, for cars, and you'll see a ton of '$1234' listings with "FACEBOOK WON'T LET ME PUT IN THE ACTUAL PRICE WHICH IS $____". That's facebook itself causing that.

For quite some time I just thought people were dumbshits who couldn't figure out how to put in the price until I was made aware that FBM apparently tries to police the pricing of autos using some dumbass algorithm or database, and won't let a seller override if they have something unusual or rare/super-clean. I... really don't understand why you would do that. Literally prevent people from pricing a car however they want. WTF?

Craigslist shot itself in the foot. FBM is broken. Oy.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Selling poo poo on FBM is just so loving broken. I listed a very lightly used phone and had at least 20 "interested" people but all of them wanted to ask the same questions that were already addressed in the ad, and nobody wanted to make a serious offer that was anything other than an extreme lowball. Most of them would just ask "what's your best price".

Put the fucker on eBay with the exact same description, photos, and price, and it sold within 24 hours no questions asked. Only downside is eBay's steep as gently caress fees.

What’s that? The level of discourse on FBM is gutter level? Why I was led to believe it was very high and if questions weren’t phrased ~*just so*~ you might irritate the seller to the point of then not dealing with you any more. Why I do declare.

Also were the lowballs more than $5 to $15 less than your asking price cuz that’s just ridiculous. :v:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coredump fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 9, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
FB also makes you pick year, make, model but then don't list all models that were available from that make in that year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

Why I was led to believe it was very high and if questions weren’t phrased ~*just so*~ you might irritate the seller to the point of then not dealing with you any more.

Considering that's exactly what I did by listing on eBay instead I'm not sure what poo poo-hot point you're trying to make here.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The trick to Facebook marketplace is to list poo poo and ignore any question/message that is answered by reading the description, or any "what's your best price" queries. That filters out 90% of time wasters and 0.01% of buyers.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

IOwnCalculus posted:

Considering that's exactly what I did by listing on eBay instead I'm not sure what poo poo-hot point you're trying to make here.

Ignore him, he's trying to turn every conversation into a way to justify himself.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Craigslist is terrible. I just used it to list an older kids' dirtbike for sale. I had to pay $5 to do it, which isn't terrible. The only responses I got so far were scams of decent sophistication. Both used non-local numbers, both used conversational English that wasn't just automatically generated from parsing the ad.
The first wanted to "send me a random number to verify my listing is real". They'll try to reset your CL account, CL sends you a verification #, and that's what they want to ? list fraudulent poo poo on your account or something? This seems like a long shot.
The second almost had me convinced that he was a serious buyer but driving 1200 miles for a $1500, 31-year old kids bike is dumb.
He wanted me to go to a very specific VIN checker site and pay for a report.

That specific vin checker is the scam to get you to pay for it. That other one I dont know what the gently caress

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

For quite some time I just thought people were dumbshits who couldn't figure out how to put in the price until I was made aware that FBM apparently tries to police the pricing of autos using some dumbass algorithm or database, and won't let a seller override if they have something unusual or rare/super-clean. I... really don't understand why you would do that. Literally prevent people from pricing a car however they want. WTF?

Craigslist shot itself in the foot. FBM is broken. Oy.

It feels like they're trying to incentivize sales. Like actually completing sales, and not having overpriced poo poo on there for months.

I hate Facebook and I miss old Craig's. I have had a sort of impulse to buy a cheap car to bomb around in but I didn't see many options.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've actually had pretty good luck with Offer Up. Not lots of inquiries, but the ones I do get are legit. Way less bullshit than CL and FB so far.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I found one for Hoovie's Garage:

Price: $6000
Driven 160,000 km
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Black
Fuel type: Gasoline
Engine size: 0.5 L
Horsepower: 505 hp

Runs but needs work open to trades

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Engine size: 0.5 L
Horsepower: 505 hp

:eyepop:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I found one for Hoovie's Garage:

I mean....that's what a first gen cayenne turbo in not great shape is worth. I've been driving the poo poo out of mine for like 4 years now. (mine was in amazing shape, but that's totally optional for five hunnred horespowah)

E: the air struts are totally bad on that thing. It's sitting on the bump stops.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Motronic posted:

E: the air struts are totally bad on that thing. It's sitting on the bump stops.

Is that a $1K average per corner cost?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nah, there are plenty of good rebuilds for sub $300 a corner now. And when I hosed my valves (whoops, I forgot to hook up the air compressor input to the air filter and trashed the air pump and all 4 valves at the last NEFR since I was dragging dust through the entire system) I was able to find them for literally 1/4 of the price if I was willing to wait for them to come from the OEM in Germany.

This may be a reasonable thing for you or not, but in decades of old lovely Porsche ownership I've always found that having a spare car and patience is the best way to do things.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

From Wizard? Yes $1k/corner.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can't you just put some ebay coilovers on there?

Motronic posted:

Nah, there are plenty of good rebuilds for sub $300 a corner now. And when I hosed my valves (whoops, I forgot to hook up the air compressor input to the air filter and trashed the air pump and all 4 valves at the last NEFR since I was dragging dust through the entire system) I was able to find them for literally 1/4 of the price if I was willing to wait for them to come from the OEM in Germany.

This may be a reasonable thing for you or not, but in decades of old lovely Porsche ownership I've always found that having a spare car and patience is the best way to do things.
How's your ownership experience in general? Are they that cheap for a good reason or just nobody wants to be seen in old porsches or something?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Can't you just put some ebay coilovers on there?

How's your ownership experience in general? Are they that cheap for a good reason or just nobody wants to be seen in old porsches or something?
Good reason is money

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I mean....I wouldn't still be doing it if I didn't like it.

And it's not "old" Porsches that are cheap, it's middle aged Porsches. There's a bathtub curve in value for almost all of them. Good luck on guessing that market, but they all seem to follow it.

Nitrox posted:

Good reason is money

And it's this....or time (which includes ability, place to work, tools, etc). Many of the parts just aren't cheap either. You can do BETTER than crazy rear end dealer/OEM pricing, but it's still $150 water pumps compared to the $15-40 ones on a similar year chevy/honda/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Motronic posted:

And it's this....or time (which includes ability, place to work, tools, etc). Many of the parts just aren't cheap either. You can do BETTER than crazy rear end dealer/OEM pricing, but it's still $150 water pumps compared to the $15-40 ones on a similar year chevy/honda/whatever.

Seconded. There's the easy way, the hard way, and the German way. Some jobs can be much more time consuming than you think or will require specialized tools, and if you're not doing your own labour prepare to be paying maintenance costs typical of vehicles that had an msrp around $100k. They're usually cheap now because the costs to keep them running are high and owners don't want to pony up. As Motronic mentioned, there's a bathtub curb in values and even on the 955 Cayenne's I've been seeing clean and maintained examples listed for decent sums.

Another saying I'm fond of that seems to be really applicable to these cars is "why do simple when complicated will do"

All said though, I would buy another 955 in a heartbeat if it didn't have the v8 that's prone to cylinder scoring. There's definitely something about them, or I'm crazy. Mine was a money pit but was fun to tinker with. And the cheap exhaust mod makes them sound real mean.