Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Shyrka posted:

So like, I haven't seen Discovery or anything but apparently it's a thing in the 30th century all the dilithium in the universe explodes and so no one has warp drive anymore? But isn't the dilithium just used to stabilise the matter/anti-matter reaction that powers most warp drives, and Romulans have perfectly good warp drives powered by artificial singularities?

Did that technology get forgotten when the Romulans were all killed in Picard?

The Romulan artificial singularity isn't just EU technobabble either its a major plot point that identifies Romulan ships in Face of the Enemy on TNG and Visionary on DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Disco already has an alternative means of transportation too... the "Courier Network" aka Slipstream Network. But it's full of garbage and wrecks because of The Burn, and apparently no one can clean it up?!? At least dredge the parts between major worlds ffs.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Remember a time when Nemesis was like the worst new Trek writing?

Man. Good times.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Disco is really dumb, but I hate Picard more for ruining both the Federation and the Romulans.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

sunday at work posted:

The Romulan artificial singularity isn't just EU technobabble either its a major plot point that identifies Romulan ships in Face of the Enemy on TNG and Visionary on DS9.

Don't forget the episode where aliens were nesting in a romulan quantum singularity drive which caused time to slow down to a crawl right before the ships were destroyed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Burning_Monk posted:

Disco already has an alternative means of transportation too... the "Courier Network" aka Slipstream Network. But it's full of garbage and wrecks because of The Burn, and apparently no one can clean it up?!? At least dredge the parts between major worlds ffs.
That also doesn’t even matter because at one point the villain’s giant flagship flies through one unscathed

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

That also doesn’t even matter because at one point the villain’s giant flagship flies through one unscathed

Right! Also, isn't that literally what deflector dishes are for? To push away poo poo in front of you?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I seem to remember a Roddenberry memo from the time TNG was being developed when he said how hard they'd have to work to keep the solutions to each episode's problem smart and diplomatic, so the critics couldn't accuse them of turning Star Trek into "a thoughtless shoot-'em-up".

Welp.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

I seem to remember a Roddenberry memo from the time TNG was being developed when he said how hard they'd have to work to keep the solutions to each episode's problem smart and diplomatic, so the critics couldn't accuse them of turning Star Trek into "a thoughtless shoot-'em-up".

Welp.

Roddenberry may have been a drugged up rear end in a top hat by that point but never let it be said he didn't at least have a couple good ideas

Now that I've said that somebody is going to post the story about how he was fixated on the ferengi reproductive organs or the "majel's got a hell of an infection" story

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hey, the dude got old and bitter. It happens to all of us, but even old and bitter roddenberry was also the guy that said that it shouldn't matter that picard was short or bald, cause in the future people wouldn't give a poo poo.

The bitterness toward women... well that was mostly his own drat fault imho, cause that divorce, I mean it takes two.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

bull3964 posted:

The dilithium didn't explode, but for a moment 100 years prior it became inert so any ship that had an active warp core at that moment had an unmoderated reaction which caused widespread core breaches.

But yeah, they kinda handwaved away any FTL travel that doesn't use dilithium and does the cardinal sin of treating it more like an energy source than reaction moderator.

Like, there's no reason why Discovery should have that much dilithium onboard and even by TNG days they were recrystallizing dilithium within the core so 1000 years later I would think they wouldn't need to use so much new stuff.

In the TOS era, ships had pretty limited supplies of dilithium aboard (q.v., "Elaan of Troyius" or "Mudd's Women"), so it's not like Discovery should have a lot to hand out.

OTOH, didn't the TNG bible say that by the TNG era that dilithium was easily replicatable to avoid going to that hackneyed well? Or did the Burn or whatever corrupt existing warp engines? But what about new ones? I get the feeling I just asked more questions about the situation than the writers did.

Sorry if I'm missing the point; I ducked out of Disco after Airaim got airlocked in S2

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm watching DS9 now and I hate Bashir. Kira and Odo seem cool. Not sure how I feel about Dax and Quark.

edit: I don't mean to live-post as I watch

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Dax took a while to grow on me she always came off like she was so experienced that anyone else was kind of childish cause they didn't like the stuff she did. Later on she softens a bit and acts better imho.

:shrug:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcPyybyPlI

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Admiralty Flag posted:

In the TOS era, ships had pretty limited supplies of dilithium aboard (q.v., "Elaan of Troyius" or "Mudd's Women"), so it's not like Discovery should have a lot to hand out.

OTOH, didn't the TNG bible say that by the TNG era that dilithium was easily replicatable to avoid going to that hackneyed well? Or did the Burn or whatever corrupt existing warp engines? But what about new ones? I get the feeling I just asked more questions about the situation than the writers did.

Sorry if I'm missing the point; I ducked out of Disco after Airaim got airlocked in S2

I think it blew up all the ships using it at that moment (which was pretty much every warp capable ship) and then everyone left wasn't willing to risk having their ships just detonate out of nowhere.

Of course that doesn't explain why factions that will happily use slave labor or are willing to sacrifice for the greater society (Borg, Dominion's Vorta and Jem'Hadar, even Cardassians who are supremely loyal to the State) wouldn't step up and become the new masters of the galaxy, being willing to risk themselves. Or why the use of automated, uncrewed, ships wouldn't become the norm just in case things do blow up again.

it's not like the Dilithium that was unmined blew up. And it's quite clear that there hadn't been another burn in a couple of hundred years, meaning entire generations had gone by with nothing to show for the fear. I think it's pretty unreasonable to think that people would still be terrified that their ship could just blow up out of nowhere.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 5, 2021

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

a neat cape posted:

I'm watching DS9 now and I hate Bashir. Kira and Odo seem cool. Not sure how I feel about Dax and Quark.

edit: I don't mean to live-post as I watch

Bashir gets massively better after the first season or two.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They mentioned in show that even prior to the burn, dilithium was in short supply. The burn wiping out dilithium in active warp cores didn't help the situation.

They didn't explain why it was in short supply prior to the burn.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Admiralty Flag posted:

OTOH, didn't the TNG bible say that by the TNG era that dilithium was easily replicatable to avoid going to that hackneyed well?

I grabbed the whole page in case the rest was interesting to anyone, but the pertinent text is the third paragraph down:

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 5, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Instead of The Burn it should have been what those TNG Space Environmentalist predicted and all the warp driving around has worn space too thin and you can't use it anymore.

Instead we get the Space Oil running dry but hey we fixed it now that we found a new well and this one won't blow up, we swear!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

Man. Good times.

In the early drafts of Nemesis, the thalaron weapon chamber was right smack-dab on the bridge of the Scimitar. No one said a word about it until Rick Sternbach was finally allowed to read the script and he pointed out how utterly moronic that was, between there being a phaser fight on the bridge plus the collision. He basically said as written, it was like the world's biggest OSHA violation.

In short, John Logan sucks always and forever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeeves posted:

Man. Good times.

Nemesis is still the worst Star Trek ever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On paper the Disco season 3 premise is great: 'What happens when your post-scarcity society suddenly encounters an existential scarcity problem? Its like how DS9 asks 'what happens when a utopia has to go to war?'

Its that in practise Disco fumbles it in every way imaginable.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have heard Nemesis is what you watch when you want to be done watching Star Trek forever

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think it blew up all the ships using it at that moment (which was pretty much every warp capable ship) and then everyone left wasn't willing to risk having their ships just detonate out of nowhere.

Of course that doesn't explain why factions that will happily use slave labor or are willing to sacrifice for the greater society (Borg, Dominion's Vorta and Jem'Hadar, even Cardassians who are supremely loyal to the State) wouldn't step up and become the new masters of the galaxy, being willing to risk themselves. Or why the use of automated, uncrewed, ships wouldn't become the norm just in case things do blow up again.

it's not like the Dilithium that was unmined blew up. And it's quite clear that there hadn't been another burn in a couple of hundred years, meaning entire generations had gone by with nothing to show for the fear. I think it's pretty unreasonable to think that people would still be terrified that their ship could just blow up out of nowhere.

Pointing out plot holes in Discovery is basically like pointing out bad policy decisions of the Trump administration. About the Borg though, surely some final solution must have been found within those 600 years, because I have a super hard time seeing how they would be content with the alpha quadrant being unassimilated for hundreds of years.

I understood that dilithium was just super scarce in the future, not that there was any particular risk to using it. And for some reason everyone forgot to recrystallize it, despite the inventor of recrystallization appearing in the previous season.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Honestly that episode of Voyager where Seven gets her nanoprobes jacked but it turns out she imagined it was probably worse than Nemesis

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Trill confuse me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

a neat cape posted:

The Trill confuse me

they're the goauld but with better publicity

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think when Chakotay said that their complement of 38 photon torpedoes was irreplaceable, he meant they had sentimental value.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BonHair posted:

Pointing out plot holes in Discovery is basically like pointing out bad policy decisions of the Trump administration. About the Borg though, surely some final solution must have been found within those 600 years, because I have a super hard time seeing how they would be content with the alpha quadrant being unassimilated for hundreds of years.

I understood that dilithium was just super scarce in the future, not that there was any particular risk to using it. And for some reason everyone forgot to recrystallize it, despite the inventor of recrystallization appearing in the previous season.
Perhaps a metaphor for people being pigheadedly determined to suffer and experience conditions of scarcity and lack rather than take straightforward steps to resolve technical problems, due to unexamined philosophical assumptions? That would be an excellent parable of America - and I'll let you fill in the gaps yourself :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I held the same opinion until Picard rolled around. Sweet Jesus, that show is exceptionally terrible. I've watched it stone-cold sober, I've watched it high as gently caress, and I can find almost nothing redeeming about it.

At least Nemesis had a decent-ish score and some solid effects work? I guess? Although the hilariously bad matte painting of Alaska at the wedding reception makes me laugh every time.

Edit: Thinking of Bad Trek just reminded me of Burnham talking about how Georgiou was like a sister and a mother to her and how everyone said they were going to miss her and jesus tap dancing christ I'm mad all over again

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 5, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Picard the show made me like Picard the character less

And I dressed up as him for Halloween as a kid

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Brawnfire posted:

Same. And everything post-TNG, as Patrick Stewart gains more and more writing input, makes me think he doesn't really understand Picard as a character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah seriously

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lester Shy posted:

Same. And everything post-TNG, as Patrick Stewart gains more and more writing input, makes me think he doesn't really understand Picard as a character.

Just to point out the difference. To you, Picard is a beloved TV character from a show in your childhood. To Patrick Stewart, he's a paycheck.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

a neat cape posted:

The Trill confuse me

Tunicate posted:

they're the goauld but with better publicity

They all come from that one cave pool?
So who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to swim in a glowing pool the first time, THEN decided to keep whatever swam up their rear end to see if it had any good benefits.
As the first symbiote would have gently caress all memories on them, so you would just get urges to swim in the pool?

Brawnfire posted:

That wasn't Picard. It was fan wankery cosplay, just with some of the actors.
Best part of Picard is when you realize all his running parts are cut in a way that it makes it look like he can keep up with others a third his age.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

happyhippy posted:

That wasn't Picard. It was fan wankery cosplay, just with some of the actors.
Best part of Picard is when you realize all his running parts are cut in a way that it makes it look like he can keep up with others a third his age.

I got a good laugh out of them killing and then resurrecting Picard. But it wasn't to recast him as a younger actor so he could actually make the action he wanted to believable, you know maybe give Tom Hardy a call, it was just so that he didn't die but they kept him as he is, frail old man, who will even still die at the time he 'supposed to' (and don't even think about how that has hosed up implications). Like imagine actually being Picard and waking up after dying and you're still an old gently caress but also a robot and they didn't make you younger or give you your hair back.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I can relate. Star Trek was my first love, after Picardshow I don't care about anything happens in any version of that universe anymore. I still love the old stuff I loved before, but the thought of going back to that world or seeing any of those characters again leaves me feeling cold inside.

So cold.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I think the part where Patrick Stewart put a dune buggy on the enterprise only so he could go offroading told me as a kid all I needed to know about Patrick Stewart, he is a nice guy and a good actor, but he has never been and never will be Picard.

Sadly, he has gained more clout as the years have gone on and Picard being the Silver Age Leader of Trek, has giving him way more input than he should have.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The best way to come to terms with Star Trek Nemesis and Picard is just imagine that the Picard character is actually just Patrick Stewart somehow playing himself, ala Galaxy Quest.

Because the character loving cratered the moment PStew got any sort of creative control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPthih3uL5g

lol I love this channel