Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Lmao that uspol is a fuckin dead zone right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

trumps presidency lifted more americans out of poverty than any other in my life time lol

I would love to see it if there are actual statistics suggesting this

Like, direct transfers don't lie

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Imagine trying to vote shame in 2021

https://mobile.twitter.com/fritzglitchwork/status/1367948859956166697

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol what student loan forgiveness

it is possible that i might actually benefit from this because i'm on public service loan forgiveness, and my loans should be coming due soon. they were supposed to be due for forgiveness a few years ago but myfedloan is lovely at counting qualifying monthly payments. if i've got from 2021 to 2025 to get them forgiven though, then i might be able to get this tax benefit. maybe

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

just let the succ keep compounding and folding in on itself, the market will figure out a solution at some point

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/fritzglitchwork/status/1367955100292030468?s=20

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Well, the dems start coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and th

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

to all the hollywood sickos, thank you for your service

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1367815313304223744

quote:

The Russos aren’t trying to be arthouse auteurs, it seems; they are more interested in injecting their sincere political beliefs into mainstream movies – at which they have inarguably succeeded. If you were going to counter Martin Scorsese’s now-infamous contention that superhero movies are closer to “theme-park rides” than “cinema”, the Russos’ Marvel movies would be exhibits A to D. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, in particular, critiqued the post-Snowden US landscape of state surveillance and counter-terrorist overreach. “This isn’t freedom; it’s fear,” says the recently defrosted superhero, who flips from patriotic asset to radical insurgent. (Meanwhile, Scorsese was making a movie about Jesuits in 17th-century Japan).

Beneath the spectacle and spandex, their subsequent Marvel movies grappled with similar “political thematics”, as the Russos put it. Their Avengers saga could be more reflective of their times than they are given credit for. “Those movies are very much about what went on in this country over the past four years,” Joe asserts. “They were about standing up for what you believe in, irrespective of the cost, and I think we’re losing sight of that. For some reason, in the UK and in the US, some of the worst people were being attracted to politics and were representing us collectively. It was affecting our collective mental health, and it was reflecting poorly on our character. We believed strongly that the reach in those movies was so significant that they could be influential in helping people make potentially make better decisions. We thought that they were a really powerful tool, at exactly the right time.”

Rather than the Russos struggling without Marvel, it’s Marvel that could struggle without the Russos. The good news is, they don’t rule out a return to that world. “There will always be a bigger Russo brothers commercial movie on the horizon,” says Joe, “because it’s towing in its wake a lot of socially conscious and politically conscious films.” The Russos don’t need to “move on” anywhere; they seem perfectly happy where they are.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I would love to see it if there are actual statistics suggesting this

Like, direct transfers don't lie

With the current COVID-19 pandemic response policies in place (e.g., one stimulus check as
well as the extra $600 in weekly unemployment benefits and currently approved SNAP waivers
available only through the end of July), we project a 2020 annual poverty rate of 9.2 percent
(29.3 million people in poverty, using our definition).
◼ Without the stimulus checks or the currently enacted SNAP and unemployment benefit
expansions, the annual poverty rate would have been more than 3 points higher, at 12.4
percent (39.5 million people).
◼ The COVID-19 pandemic response policies reduced poverty for all racial and ethnic groups. For
Black non-Hispanic people, the annual poverty rate is estimated to be 15.2 percent with the
policies in place, but it would have reached 20.5 percent without them. For Hispanic people, the
annual poverty rate is projected to be 13.7 percent with the policies and 18.2 percent without.
Among white non-Hispanic people, the projected rates are 6.6 percent with the policies and
place and 9.0 percent without.
◼ The COVID-19 pandemic response will keep over 10 million people out of poverty this year,
including 2.1 million Black non-Hispanic people, 2.7 million Hispanic people, and 5.9 million
white non-Hispanic people.
◼ We project state poverty rates ranging from 4.9 percent (in Hawaii) to 14.3 percent (in Mississippi)
with the pandemic response policies in place as currently enacted.Without the policies, we project
poverty rates in those two states of 7.1 percent and 19.0 percent, respectively.

https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/102521/2020-poverty-projections.pdf

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
watch a different movie

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The doomposters were right all along, Austin

Greyjoy step down

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
looking at some graphs clinton might technically win because it went down roughly 4% over the course of his entire presidency

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Good, gently caress them

Perma all

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The doomposters were right all along, Austin

Same as it ever was

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

watch a different movie

they'll just find a more enraging one lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Lmao that uspol the US is a fuckin dead zone right now

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

there's been such an influx of succ that no one mentioned Vernon Jordan died this week haha

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Well, the dems start coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and th

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah "overt fascism" isn't gonna come in the form of some charismatic right wing figure taking absolute power because they offered some scraps to the proles. Its going to happen via shock doctrine after a series of crises where the big corporations seize more and more power from government until they replace it entirely. We're probably already like 50% of the way there.

Eh, we're never gonna see Shadowrun style megacorporations replacing states, there's not enough profit in picking up the last scraps.

Remember that every cyberpunk trend is 40 % lamer once it happens in reality

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Committee season warming up, let's get swamp assed

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1367950027868561410?s=20

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Holy loving lol at the Democrats.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

oh boy she's really doing it

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1367991247395303436?s=20

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"anti-competitive practices" is an extremely specific choice of words

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

paying workers too much? that's just not competitive

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nothus posted:

Holy loving lol at the Democrats.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm actually a little glad that Sinema so blatantly flipped off the entire country. Normally, Democrats can hide behind some smokescreen of "hopes and prayers". It's refreshing to see her just completely poo poo all over what her party pretends to care about. I have no doubt that there is a small slice of the population that both supports the democrat party and would have been helped by that bump to the minimum wage.

Imagine, you are a Georgia senate voter promised $2000 out the door, day one. The democrats hand-wave "too bad, so sad" about the Republicans killing it. Ok, poo poo happens. That 2k would have really been helpful but those darn Reps. Argggh!!

Then, you see this other bill that would permanently increased your wages (perhaps by double, as Georgia has a 7.25 minimum right now) and 6 of the assholes who are supposed to be your side poo poo all over it. One even has the balls to do a little dance as she drives you further into debt. You have nowhere to run. The Reps flat-out don't want you to have more money, and it's now become obvious that democrat party doesn't either.

It's far healthier than living under the illusion that any elected official will help.

Agreed, theres a fantastic image to point to people who go "vote!" or that the dems are better than Republicans!

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

As someone who is only able to continue feeding himself thanks to biweekly sales of post-covid plasma and desperately needs the table scraps on offer in that bill, I hope it loving fails. I'm sick to my rear end of the narcotic drip-feed they have us hooked up to. Bring the fuckin pain, let's gooooo :getin:

Check out the goonfund.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

This thread has like 400 posts since the last time I checked it and USPOL has had less than a hundred lmao

I assume Evilweasel and Friends are waiting for Rachel Maddow to tell them what the spin is.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sinema thought the party apparatus would defend her at all costs like they do Manchin, forgetting that Manchin only gets away with poo poo like that because he's been enshrined as an insurmountable force of nature in the liberal brain

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

LGD posted:

here you are

this is gonna haunt the democrat party for years lmfao

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Yinlock posted:

Sinema thought the party apparatus would defend her at all costs like they do Manchin, forgetting that Manchin only gets away with poo poo like that because he's been enshrined as an insurmountable force of nature in the liberal brain

For all his faults, Manchin has the excuse in lots of people's minds of 'if he's gone there is a 0% chance he doesn't get replace with a right-wing nut'

Sinema is pulling this from a state with two Democratic Senators.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LGD posted:

here you are

It's a good shut the gently caress up picture the next time someone starts whining about how we need blue dogs because pragmatism

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Lansdowne posted:

to all the hollywood sickos, thank you for your service

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1367815313304223744

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1367995950464184324?s=19

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao that owns

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

this is gonna haunt the democrat party for years lmfao

it owns

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rare Magic card l00k posted:

For all his faults, Manchin has the excuse in lots of people's minds of 'if he's gone there is a 0% chance he doesn't get replace with a right-wing nut'

Sinema is pulling this from a state with two Democratic Senators.

yeah they have years of dumb liberal punditry building up that idea in their brains until manchin is the rocks of the eternal shore

Sinema has none of that and welp

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lmfao the precious few seconds that were cut before the thumbs down are even worse

https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/1367974983968899073?s=19

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
nayyy queen

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Really want to gloat in USPOL but I'm a coward who lives in fear of probes.

Thought it was going to take longer than two months to prove NoJoes completely correct though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Guys I know working yourself to death for starvation wages is bad but this is incredible content