Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Control Volume posted:

Its also funny that the WoW cinematic is apparently the highest the stakes have been, and meanwhile our second best expansion is about saving a single small nation from two dragon eyeballs (one with a dragon attached)

Hey now, by the time everything's said and done I think it was three dragon eyeballs. Maybe four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Control Volume posted:

The only tether I run away from in fights is that red and white one. I still dont know the mechanic but it must be lethal

drat dragoon can't even break the chains properly.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

15 for Atomos - 4 for each the pads and 1 to just walk up and one-shot it, since they're just out of range if you're standing on the pads. I guess you could use summoners to just have their pets attack it though.

Awesome! posted:

that was actually what i said and then edited to nevermind because you can just have one group kill the atomos at a time while the others stand on their pads. should have plenty of time.

Yeah, this was my thinking is that one group kills their atomos at a time then goes back to their pad to stand on it so another group does so. But I suppose if you're trying to run lota with the minimum, what's 3 more people to do that?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ironslave posted:

Tyrande becoming the night warrior... who cared? She'd been three different characters since the end of WC3, barely got any focus of her own outside of her relationship to Malfurion throughout WoW, and even her home being burned was more about the people who did it than about the people who suffered for it. They never gave her the consistency and focus they should have and as a result the most common reaction I've seen to it is a shrug.

I'm still mad about wc3's characterization of night elves as "bloodthirsty amazon shitkickers/murderers and their doofy stoner brothers hanging out with sentient trees that are also really psyched about murder" getting dropped for yet another fresh take on tolkien elves

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Queue is usually instant for ST and it's a 15 minute bumrush so who cares

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I didn't see this posted but this lady must have 20 fingers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSZJuVCWyLU

I definitely am picking up this album.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Recently I’ve had a problem in ST runs where dumbasses run back into a lethal AoE after I cast rescue on them.

I did that for a reason ding dong :argh:

I’m thinking of making a macro for it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Macaluso posted:

In general I prefer WoW's much more western cartoon inspired look to FFXIV's overall more anime look, but FFXIV has them beat so drat hard on in game cutscenes.

More power to you, I guess, but drat do I hate WoW aesthetic with a passion and think both FFXI and FFXIV are leagues better.

Finished my azys lla fishing, for some reason I thought there were going to be like two more steps after this but I'll take it!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

LeafyOrb posted:

Recently I’ve had a problem in ST runs where dumbasses run back into a lethal AoE after I cast rescue on them.

I did that for a reason ding dong :argh:

I’m thinking of making a macro for it.

ez solution: take rescue off your hotbar because it sux

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Its also funny that the WoW cinematic is apparently the highest the stakes have been, and meanwhile our second best expansion is about saving a single small nation from two dragon eyeballs (one with a dragon attached)

ff14's story is as good as it is because it respects the sort of people that other games would dismiss as simple and unimportant folks. it's their source/first too and how they live and struggle matters.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

World War Mammories posted:

I'm still mad about wc3's characterization of night elves as "bloodthirsty amazon shitkickers/murderers and their doofy stoner brothers hanging out with sentient trees that are also really psyched about murder" getting dropped for yet another fresh take on tolkien elves

are WoW's elves still trolls that were corrupted by the moonwell or did they retcon that

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

ez solution: take rescue off your hotbar because it sux

If you're not rescuing people into death fields what are you even doing with your life?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Flavahbeast posted:

are WoW's elves still trolls that were corrupted by the moonwell or did they retcon that

I think you got that backwards

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

so far as I know that's still canon yeah

e: lmao magnifique

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 6, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Flavahbeast posted:

Yes, but it's a bit more.. uhh.. not great now.

quote:

The dark trolls cherished their independence from greater troll society, and htey largely ignored the activities of other tribes. Unlike their cousins, they longed for a peaceful connection with the natural world. Dark troll mystics often sought ways to commune with the land and live in harmony with it.----In time, the dark trolls also discovered the well of eternity.
Mesmerized by their discovery, the dark trolls settled along the well of eternity's shores. Over generations, the energies radiating from the lake suffused their flesh and bones, Elevating their forms to match their graceful spirits. They transformed into highly intelligent and virtually immortal beings.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

It really seems like WoW has a cast of about a dozen ultra powerful NPCs and they just cycle through being the big hero and the big villain for each expansion. They're less characters and more posable dolls that the writers bend and mold to fit any narrative contrivance.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

reportedly the big beats of the story get mandated from above ("players will fight azshara and n'zoth as our next two bosses") and the writers have to figure it out themselves, so yeah, pretty much. not to belabor the point too much, but regardless of one's opinion of xiv's story, it's pretty obvious that the writers hold some sway and actually care about what they're telling.

another pet peeve I have about blizzard's writing is simply the technical aspect of it - it's poo poo copy. like, it's completely comprehensible, but there are comma splices and missing and/or unnecessary apostrophes all over, etc. it's obviously not done by someone who was hired specifically to do it. I'll take a million "anyroads" and "must needs" over that poo poo any day of the week

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Every time WoW comes up I become supremely glad I have never once touched it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

:same:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's fun to press buttons in WoW but non of my friends play it anymore so i don't play it either

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Yes, but it's a bit more.. uhh.. not great now.

Jesus why couldn't they just leave it as "trolls discover Well of Eternity, Well of Eternity turn trolls into night elves, night elves goof around until they discover magic and then cause a big loving mess"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rosalind posted:

It really seems like WoW has a cast of about a dozen ultra powerful NPCs and they just cycle through being the big hero and the big villain for each expansion. They're less characters and more posable dolls that the writers bend and mold to fit any narrative contrivance.

I've said it before in the WoW threads that WoW treats itself/it's story as more of a linear amusement park. A lot of everything is self contained, and whatever happens in Y expansion very rarely/practically never affects or interacts with anything from X expansion.

Contrast that to 14 where you are CONSTANTLY going back to lower level areas because that's where plot important NPCs live.
Like, Matoya isn't going to leave her cave just because Idyllshire isn't the endgame questhub, the Scions don't move to a new home base in every expansion just because. Mor Dhona is still their home and you still go back there on the reg.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The most annoying thing about WoW's story is how long they've had to make the horde look like dopes making apes strong together excuses for like 5 expansions because their leader doesn't seem to do much other than plan genocide, create weapons for genocide, or just does the genocide.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

the_steve posted:

Contrast that to 14 where you are CONSTANTLY going back to lower level areas because that's where plot important NPCs live.
Like, Matoya isn't going to leave her cave just because Idyllshire isn't the endgame questhub, the Scions don't move to a new home base in every expansion just because. Mor Dhona is still their home and you still go back there on the reg.

Yes but FFXIV could stand to pull the “trek back to Waking Sands” card a little bit less. Like they still do that on a regular basis after most of the Scions move to Rising Stones, it gets a little silly sometimes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Systematic System posted:

If people take the orbs to the tower these days it is so they don't explode and wipe the raid when healers are either 1) completely inattentive (most common) or 2) all frozen and everyone with a fire orb is completely inattentive and doesn't free them.

Also because you can do it "for free" if you're a class that has decent movement options (not melee/BLM).
Whereas trying to do the glasya mechanic locks you in a box with the lovely add thing, so sprouts who do it the first time realize "wait doing this mechanic sucks I wanna go hit the boss" and learn not to next time.

LeafyOrb posted:

Yes but FFXIV could stand to pull the “trek back to Waking Sands” card a little bit less. Like they still do that on a regular basis after most of the Scions move to Rising Stones, it gets a little silly sometimes.

Apparently when they decided to slightly rework the ARR MSQ, they made a bunch of quests reward consumable waking-sands aetheryte tickets that just teleport you straight there.
Seems like it's impossible to get any more, if you've already done all the quests, though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 6, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LeafyOrb posted:

Do you have to go back there a single time in ShB? It's been less and less since ARR, but it feels like they've basically abandoned it now.

Also yeah, they give you a big stack of Vesper Bay aether tickets pretty early on in ARR now, I used them every time I had to go back there and still have like 5 leftover.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Begemot posted:

Do you have to go back there a single time in ShB? It's been less and less since ARR, but it feels like they've basically abandoned it now.

Also yeah, they give you a big stack of Vesper Bay aether tickets pretty early on in ARR now, I used them every time I had to go back there and still have like 5 leftover.

nope you just go to the rising stones a few times

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I wonder how hard it would have been to add an aetheryte shard near the Waking Sands. I guess harder than adding an item that calls the Teleport code when used.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
but when are we going back to the falling snows

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rank 7 in bozja and the mandragora CE is the only one i've seen that doesn't feel like annoying bullshit. I don't get why they put all these annoying fights here and then removed the timer from vuln stacks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raised By Birds posted:

I wonder how hard it would have been to add an aetheryte shard near the Waking Sands. I guess harder than adding an item that calls the Teleport code when used.

This would go against the lore in a big way

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Groggy nard posted:

Every time WoW comes up I become supremely glad I have never once touched it.

WoW was, and probably still is, pretty good and if this game didn't exist I am sure I would still be playing it. But thinking back, there have been a lot of time that I hate played WoW (and other MMO's) and it's interesting to me that the times that I have hate played this game are pretty rare. Pretty much isolated to some of the shittier relic steps to be honest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's a lot of MMOs out there that wanted to be the WoW killer, and tried to emulate it as close as possible, for good or for ill. Which means there were a lot of subpar wow clones out there. Yoship played WoW and took some lessons from it, but also moved past it and wanted to be different.

I think in an XIV-less world I'd probably be playing ESO.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

brand engager posted:

Rank 7 in bozja and the mandragora CE is the only one i've seen that doesn't feel like annoying bullshit. I don't get why they put all these annoying fights here and then removed the timer from vuln stacks

The mandragora is one of the more annoying bullshit ones, tbh. Other people can lead the confusion hearts around near you and pop them in your range, hitting you through no fault of your own. Its big AOE attack is also annoying when playing solo and not on a healing class - CEs like the cerberus who has an AOE that puts you at 1 HP at least has the decency to have no other unavoidable damage, so as long as you dodge everything, you won't die even without heals.
On the Mandragora you're just toast after AOE number 2 or 3 without healing.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That aoe does nearly nothing with essence of the veteran

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

brand engager posted:

Oh you're gonna love Dumdum Reginald!

The CEs are structured in a way that you're pretty much guaranteed to eat poo poo repeatedly the first time you run it. For most of them the mechanics aren't really unfair, though they can be hectic and a lot of them will have at least one "gotcha" that's likely to tag you sometimes even after you think you know the fight well. Then when you actually clear something like Red Choctober without taking a hit you feel like a badass (until you get picked for a duel and eat poo poo in front of an audience).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mad Wack posted:

nope you just go to the rising stones a few times

Yeah, but the Stones is literally next to an aetheryte, so it's fine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You don't go back to the Waking Sands anymore because there's literally no one there

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I had to go back and talk to Urianger for the level 50 EX primal quests when I unsynced them with some pals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I had to go back and talk to Urianger for the level 50 EX primal quests when I unsynced them with some pals

yeah but Urianger canonically hasn't been there since like Heavensward so they can't really send you back to an empty building