Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

capcom doesn't think fighting games are worth it

i personally think they were of the mind that if it's marvel anything people will buy it no matter how bad it is

that studio's Business Practices have for last three and a half years alone No poo poo broken my brain in ways I never thought possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also Infinite got the double screw because Disney mandated a bunch of asinine bullshit, like no mutants.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Max Wilco posted:

I would like to have a wired connection instead of wi-fi, but because we have the modem (the Comcast xFi thing) situated upstairs, andmy computer/PS4 is downstairs, I don't know how to set up a wired connection without running cable up through the ceiling, or out through the door, up two flights of stairs, and into another room. Unless there's some way of routing a wired signal through power outlets, I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV60...1&ts_id=1194444

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Unless there's some way of routing a wired signal through power outlets, I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

Friend, you're in luck. Ethernet outlet adapters exist and use the copper wire in your walls to send signals throughout a circuit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Infinite got the double screw because Disney mandated a bunch of asinine bullshit, like no mutants.

yeah any marvel thing in this day and age is going to be defined by and sucked into the black hole of creativity that is the MCU. the only way we're getting another MvC2 is if it isn't literally Marvel

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah any marvel thing in this day and age is going to be defined by and sucked into the black hole of creativity that is the MCU. the only way we're getting another MvC2 is if it isn't literally Marvel

I mean we still got two great Spider-Man games so let's be real you can't lay MvCI being bad entirely at the feet of Disney. Having mutants wouldn't have made that game less ugly or fixed the broken mechanics.

e: also let's be real you're never getting another MvC2 no matter what happens, nobody's getting another MvC2. That game is so loving weird in such highly specific ways that you can't replicate it without coming up with something that's still different.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dhamster posted:

I gave SFV another shot recently, as I do every year or so, and I have actually been having a pretty good time with it. Rashid has been clicking with me and I sailed to Silver pretty easily. Compared to GG you have to be much tighter in timing your meaties, and you get less reward off AAing, but consistently AAing is probably even more important since blocking a jump-in puts you in a throw situation and getting hit by one is even worse.

The double edged sword of bronze. You can win pretty easily by AAing consistently, but you can only gently caress up an AA about 3 times a round while you have to be right around 10.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Reiley posted:

Friend, you're in luck. Ethernet outlet adapters exist and use the copper wire in your walls to send signals throughout a circuit.

Wait, these are real?

Someone told me about these, and I thought they were just confusing it with a wi-fi extender or something (I think they were kind of drunk at the time, so I didn't put much thought into it). I didn't actually think you could use copper wiring as a way to run a wired connection; that sounds like something I would have thought up as a kid.

poo poo, I guess I should look into buying one, if only so my internet doesn't crap out whenever I try to download something from Steam.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Wait, these are real?

Someone told me about these, and I thought they were just confusing it with a wi-fi extender or something (I think they were kind of drunk at the time, so I didn't put much thought into it). I didn't actually think you could use copper wiring as a way to run a wired connection; that sounds like something I would have thought up as a kid.

poo poo, I guess I should look into buying one, if only so my internet doesn't crap out whenever I try to download something from Steam.

Yeah it blew my mind years ago when I first saw them at BestBuy, but for me it felt just as good as a wired connection.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

boz posted:

Yeah it blew my mind years ago when I first saw them at BestBuy, but for me it felt just as good as a wired connection.

https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN these ones work via coax cables. There are some requirements you need with regards to the types of splitters you have and what frequency your cable modem runs at, but if the requirements fit then it should be better than a power line adapter.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I said come in! posted:

on 5ghz its quantifiable by a like 1 - 3ms difference. If that is indeed a massive gamechanger where you can't possibly ever win a single match against someone on a wired connection then i'll admit i'm wrong. :shrug:
To expand on what people have said-when you use wifi, you can have a fast connection speed overall, but it's inconsistent. The problem is what is called 'jitter', or the variation in the time between data packets arriving.
A fast wireless connection will usually have low time between data packets arriving, but it will intermittently have packets delayed or lost. This is due to multiple factors, including the materials of walls in between the router and your device, and other wireless signals interfering. That applies to a whole lot of things-phones, microwaves, other consoles or computers, your neighbor's wifi network, etc. Anything else that also sends a signal through the air can interfere with other wireless signals(especially if they are on the same frequency).

You are sending a signal through the air, you cannot avoid this. There's other poo poo in the air and in between your router and device, you can't 100% guarantee packets arriving on time(or at all).
It's fundamentally inconsistent compared to sending a signal through a wire, and you can't just compare raw download/upload speed to check the quality, because that ignores how consistent/inconsistent the connection is.

That doesn't mean it's not testable, but it's a bit more complicated.

It's not uncommon to see a "fast" wifi connection where most of the time the connection is like 15ms but sometimes jumps up to like, 100-200ms. That's the most common cause of sudden spikes in lag-a bit of data got delayed or lost due to the wireless connection.

Max Wilco posted:

I would like to have a wired connection instead of wi-fi, but because we have the modem (the Comcast xFi thing) situated upstairs, andmy computer/PS4 is downstairs, I don't know how to set up a wired connection without running cable up through the ceiling, or out through the door, up two flights of stairs, and into another room. Unless there's some way of routing a wired signal through power outlets, I don't think it's happening anytime soon.
As has been mentioned, powerline adapters do actually exist, but if at all possible I would honestly recommend just running a cable up through the ceiling. Might be a bit of a project, but it'll be better in the end(and in my experience is normally not as annoying to do as it sounds).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 6, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Powerline generally works pretty well as long as your house doesn't have weirdass circuits (one of the places I rented did to the point where I had two bedrooms and was using one as an office but I had to run powerline to the other bedroom and plug a wifi AP in there to get any connection to the 'office' bedroom right next to it). Not as good as pure ethernet of course, but a lot better than wireless.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

:siren:[ThatGame] didn't need the X-Men to be a good game. It just needed a Roster that didn't loving suck:siren:

tell me good sir, for a game thats supposedly meant to promote the MCU, where the gently caress are the rest of the Avengers? Where's Vision? War Machine? The Defenders ("hey guys im one of the five people on planet who really really dug that Iron Fist show and think he'd be a cool character in a Fighting Game:shepface:")? The Inhumans? Man could you guys imagine Quake from agents of shield in a fighting game? that'd b tight

Oh my god: They greenlit a game with no budget, no planning whatsoever. again I cannot stress enough a AAA Publisher not some Indie Studio though let's be brutally honest here an Indie likely could've done a much better job

BornAPoorBlkChild, circa December 2017 posted:

well... maybe the rest of the budget went towards next years prize pools and completely unfucking the utter insanity that is the Battle For The Stones Tournament Ruleset!:unsmith:

Oh my god, they couldn't even get that right. They sabotaged their own project and couldn't even give the few dumb nerds left on their side the common courtesy of a Reach Around

what even is capcom at this point?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 6, 2021

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lord_Magmar posted:

From a business perspective, why would Capcom put a lot of money and effort into a project with an antagonistic partner who is making a lot of demands, doing none of the work, and taking a huge chunk of the profits all inside a niche genre.

MvCI is embarassing but not remotely shocking or inexplicable.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

what even is capcom at this point?

A studio that has focused its money and efforts into popular and successful franchises it wholly owns.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 6, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

IronicDongz posted:

As has been mentioned, powerline adapters do actually exist, but if at all possible I would honestly recommend just running a cable up through the ceiling. Might be a bit of a project, but it'll be better in the end(and in my experience is normally not as annoying to do as it sounds).

I mean, it would be possible to run a cable up through the ceiling, but I don't think anyone I live with would be enthused with the project, myself included. I don't want muck around in the crawlspace with drills and wires just so I can get matches in Tekken 7 and still lose constantly.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Powerline generally works pretty well as long as your house doesn't have weirdass circuits (one of the places I rented did to the point where I had two bedrooms and was using one as an office but I had to run powerline to the other bedroom and plug a wifi AP in there to get any connection to the 'office' bedroom right next to it). Not as good as pure ethernet of course, but a lot better than wireless.

From what I read in the reviews for one of the adapters, one requirement is that the adapters need to be on the same side of the breaker box (by that, I assume they mean that the circuit rests in the same column of switches on the breaker). That might be a problem, because the xFi modem is on the east side (on the 2nd floor), and my room is on west side (ground floor), with the breaker box being on the southwest corner. It might be possible, though (need to actually run through the switches on the box, since we had it replaced a few years back, but the labels the contractors made were incorrect and transposed in some cases).

Something else I was told about was a wi-fi mesh (like this thing here), which looks to extend the wireless signal and also potentially allow for a wired connection (though I probably read that wrong). The reviews for the two meshes I looked at also made it sound like they aren't very reliable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:siren:[ThatGame] didn't need the X-Men to be a good game. It just needed a Roster that didn't loving suck:siren:
for mvc fans this means xmen. especially magneto and wolverine

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

From a business perspective, why would Capcom put a lot of money and effort into a project with an antagonistic partner who is making a lot of demands, doing none of the work, and taking a huge chunk of the profits all inside a niche genre.

MvCI is embarassing but not remotely shocking or inexplicable.

Capcom Accountants, circa 2016 posted:

Look this just doesn't seem like a financially sound idea at the moment, given our manpower is split between DMCV, RE7, RE2/3 Remake and Monster Hunter World:smith:

maybe the Americans could give us more time or we could just ReRelease MvC2 on Steam or somet---

Kenzo Tsujimoto, circa 2016 posted:

haha wine money printer go buuur:downs:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Max Wilco posted:

I mean, it would be possible to run a cable up through the ceiling, but I don't think anyone I live with would be enthused with the project, myself included. I don't want muck around in the crawlspace with drills and wires just so I can get matches in Tekken 7 and still lose constantly.

From what I read in the reviews for one of the adapters, one requirement is that the adapters need to be on the same side of the breaker box (by that, I assume they mean that the circuit rests in the same column of switches on the breaker). That might be a problem, because the xFi modem is on the east side (on the 2nd floor), and my room is on west side (ground floor), with the breaker box being on the southwest corner. It might be possible, though (need to actually run through the switches on the box, since we had it replaced a few years back, but the labels the contractors made were incorrect and transposed in some cases).

Something else I was told about was a wi-fi mesh (like this thing here), which looks to extend the wireless signal and also potentially allow for a wired connection (though I probably read that wrong). The reviews for the two meshes I looked at also made it sound like they aren't very reliable.

I mean that gizmo will "allow a wired connection" in the sense that you can use a wire to physically connect your pc to the extender, but then the extender will still be sending everything wirelessly from one box to the other. If you don't have an uninterrupted physical connection of some kind from your PC to to the router/modem, you're not gonna have the quality of a real wired connection.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FanaticalMilk posted:

James Chen has also said the only DS revival he wants is one developed by Arc Sys. I know Arc Sys worked with Capcom in the past on Sengoku Basara X, does anyone know if they have any kind of current working relationship at all?

They ended up doing Sengoku Basara X after Sammy vs. Capcom (which seemed like it would've basically just been DS vs GG) fell through due to external circumstances, and I don't think they've really done much together since. They still talk about wanting to do it every time they're asked.

It recently came out that FANG's design was recycled from an aborted Darkstalkers pitch within Capcom.

TulliusCicero posted:

Does anybody think XV will bring back some OLD characters with the reveal of Chizuru? Like Rugal or WOLFGANG KRAUSER? Maybe some more of the NEST dorks or like Yashiro and Shermie?

Definitely, the plot of 14 was explicitly designed as a reset/justification for bringing back any and all of the old characters (and specifically Shermie, who already got a new model for Heroines, so that's one less they have to make for 15).

Maybe the biggest old character return they teased with 14 was Jeff Bogard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

powerline ethernet is wonderful and if you dont/cant run ethernet then its def worth the cash to grab a couple.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

But also doesn't rollback netcode make the wireless thing less awful anyway, not as good as proper wired but nowhere near the nightmare it can be with the non-rollback netcodes. GG Strive apparently let people in Australia have good global matches, which is pretty incredible considering how bad Australian internet can be in terms of connectivity in the first place.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I'm surprised someone at Capcom never had the idea of contracting Arc System Works to do a Darkstalkers reboot.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i really really wish nerds would stop demanding every single fighting game look like the exact same game you've been playing since you were 12

i don't need marvel looking like blazeblue or Strive.

just let ArcSys's style be it's own thing. Theres plenty of fighting games with fantastic 3D Models out there that don't look like the side project of some unpaid FullSail intern

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 6, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They ended up doing Sengoku Basara X after Sammy vs. Capcom (which seemed like it would've basically just been DS vs GG) fell through due to external circumstances, and I don't think they've really done much together since. They still talk about wanting to do it every time they're asked.

It recently came out that FANG's design was recycled from an aborted Darkstalkers pitch within Capcom.

Definitely, the plot of 14 was explicitly designed as a reset/justification for bringing back any and all of the old characters (and specifically Shermie, who already got a new model for Heroines, so that's one less they have to make for 15).

Maybe the biggest old character return they teased with 14 was Jeff Bogard.

I started playing KOF 2002um and just now realized Shermie is a grappler? And a typical japanese anime school girl is a sumo wrestler?

This game is wild

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 6, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I think a game with Octopath "HD 2D" graphics could look good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

i really really wish nerds would stop demanding every single fighting game look like the exact same game you've been playing since you were 12

just let ArcSys's style be it's own thing. Theres plenty of fighting games with fantastic 3D Models out there that don't look like the side project of some unpaid FullSail intern
literally the only 3d game I think looks ok is tekken

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I never said Marvel I said Darkstalkers, a series that I think would work well with Arc System Works style.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

arcsys is a better match than the capcom of today, but that isn't saying much, and GG / Blazblue / etc. air movement and movement in general is very different than Darkstalkers

i'd sooner give it to French Bread or Hidden Variable

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think a game with Octopath "HD 2D" graphics could look good.

I think Octopath looks fine on an undocked Switch but does not hold up at high resolutions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Max Wilco posted:

Prrooobably, I'm not sure how/if American breaker boxes differ from those here in Aus.

Well, aside from everywhere having a total cowboy job done. I couldn't figure out why the house's main RCD kept tripping once and it turned out the pool pump had sprung a leak and was blasting water on the outside outlet, causing it to trip. Who the gently caress puts the pool pump on THAT circuit?!

Anyway, won't know until you try! You could always send them back if they don't work or find another use for them elsewhere in the house.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

or just find the woman who designed Victor's rear end in 1994 and give her a dumptruck of money and total creative control

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just let Darkstalkers stay dead and make new stuff imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

or just find the woman who designed Victor's rear end in 1994 and give her a dumptruck of money and total creative control

I think she works at Pixar now

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like I would rather play an indie team's game inspired by Darkstalkers than watch the inevitable heartbreak of a big budget Darkstalkers revival that crashes and burns

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

But also doesn't rollback netcode make the wireless thing less awful anyway, not as good as proper wired but nowhere near the nightmare it can be with the non-rollback netcodes. GG Strive apparently let people in Australia have good global matches, which is pretty incredible considering how bad Australian internet can be in terms of connectivity in the first place.

As far as I understand it rollback essentially creates a savestate of the match every frame and when the incoming data from the other client is a mismatch it rolls back to the most recent consistent savestate. If you're on wifi and your upstream is frequently and inconsistently dropping packets you're going to be tripping this safeguard more often, which depending on the rollback implementation can produce weird teleporting results like in SFV or cause the game to pause a moment like Strive. It's also worth noting that, as far as I know, Strive isn't purely peer-to-peer like every other fighting game, its rollback is supported by middle-party host servers the way FPS games work, so you're not strictly getting bad upstream directly from the other guy, you're both communicating with the server's gamestate independently.

There's really no valid excuse or circumstance where wireless internet is good enough or just fine in a fighting game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Reiley posted:

It's also worth noting that, as far as I know, Strive isn't purely peer-to-peer like every other fighting game, its rollback is supported by middle-party host servers the way FPS games work, so you're not strictly getting bad upstream directly from the other guy, you're both communicating with the server's gamestate independently.

drat strive invented blitz netcode before blitz?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I feel like if wireless can work fine for MOBAs to the point that you get seemless connections between 10 people and a server, there absolutely should be a way for wireless to be okay for fighting games.

Especially with the whole Rollback Netcode being so hard to get through to the big names in fighting games surely the actual net connection stuff has plenty of room to grow and improve.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Reiley posted:

It's also worth noting that, as far as I know, Strive isn't purely peer-to-peer like every other fighting game, its rollback is supported by middle-party host servers the way FPS games work, so you're not strictly getting bad upstream directly from the other guy, you're both communicating with the server's gamestate independently.

are you sure? this is the first I've heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Just let Darkstalkers stay dead and make new stuff imo

no gently caress you i wanna live eternally in 1997 forEVER