Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Sorry if this has been answered, but I checked the last few pages and didn't see it. Is there a way to see a count of how many monsters you've captured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Russad posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but I checked the last few pages and didn't see it. Is there a way to see a count of how many monsters you've captured?

other than in battle, hitting Off the Leash? not that I know of

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
My set up for trash kills and boss kills are different and after acquiring new skills and items it usually takes me a couple minutes to switch from one to the other and every time I see a save point I'm expecting a boss fight but I've been tricked a couple times. This time I just kept on my boss killing gear and avoided enemies because I didn't want to bother wasting the MP and I'm probably overleveled anyway and on Casual.

Anyway, Seth and Adelle have reached the Weapon Power cap with Vanguard.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

other than in battle, hitting Off the Leash? not that I know of

That shows you how many you currently have, right? I was wondering about total for the beastmaster’s capstone skill.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you're really having trouble clearing dungeons in Ch. 3 I recommend looking over your available jobs and passive to make a character a trash clearer that ends fights in the first turn and the first round of combat. You have all the puzzle pieces necessary to do this if you're at the tower, and have a few easy grind locations with likely copious monster bait

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gladys is so goddamn cool.

Like she's a jerk that got mislead but still really cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't recall it being especially efficient in terms of being auto win, and I also don't remember the job names but in BD1 you could also use the job that essentially made status effects explode to poison enemies and then hit them for 9999 every turn with very little effort.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I'm not entirely certain if monk is overtuned or if black mage is just undertuned. It's quite possible it's both, but it's at least one of them.

For the berserker boss, at least, Firebird into Fires of War was both safer (insofar as triggering a counter only caused the boss to cleave the monk in two instead of the whole party) and more damaging than Blizzaga. Firebird also lets you use Firaga more, sure, but Fires of War was still dealing a lot more damage. I think the HP costs, combined with bosses adoring counter attacks, are supposed to be the balance, but...

The specialty that unlocks at level 12 does not help either!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Black Mage is undertuned, and, honestly, magic just seems overall undertuned in this game compared to the "physical" jobs which get a wide variety of damaging abilities and status debuffs, combined with excellent stats.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Holy poo poo the artist asterisk VA is like no-budget '80s anime dub bad, really jarring considering most of the VA in this game is surprisingly not bad.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Black Mage is undertuned, and, honestly, magic just seems overall undertuned in this game compared to the "physical" jobs which get a wide variety of damaging abilities and status debuffs, combined with excellent stats.

yeah, some of the abilities you get are pretty nice but the job itself is hot trash

White Mage isn't bad and seems to scale pretty well on restorative power (plus useful as attack magic vs. undead), and it's handy to have one at least so you can do Auto-Heal since for some reason that requires a white mage and won't use healing items to refresh your party.

Beastmaster is the best mage by far, if you consider it a blue mage. The amount of murder power Banishra has from Petunias is ridiculous.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 6, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
does it get better after you... uh... "Awaken" it's later abilities?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ojetor posted:

berserker with the no cost skills while raging passive is just bonkers af

Seth is mowing down bosses and random encounters single-handedly while the rest of the party durdles doing whatever

This is all well and good but I'm going to take a moment to preach about our blurry lord and slayer, Godspeed Strike.

I was farming the rare mob by the waterfall in the intro area for a bit (it's like 12k hp and dies fast to a bunch of pressure point/body slam spam) and decided to try the rare mob down on the beach. I'm level 25, 52k hp can be a bit to chew through especially when the enemy can drop 1k+ damage hits or 1600dmg aoe (if you aren't immune/absorb water).

...unless you have godspeed strike. Even with only 85-95 speed and main gauches, godspeed strike is 2-3k per hit on that guy, 4.3-4.8k per hit on crits. That's not impressive sounding sure, until you factor in that the skill does that damage again at the end of the 'round' and so the end result is, unless you miss a bunch, one dead lizard 1-2 rounds in to the fight depending on if/how you buff up before dropping 3-4 godspeeds each (usually 3 with an ether popped after the first 2). Needless to say at level 25 you still get the underdog bonus which is nice and all but not as nice as the 20wt 90-ish atk/mag ice element frostbrand they have as a rare drop/steal. A straight upgrade over the defender unless you're fighting something resist/immune/absorbant vs ice. :getin: I'm sure a bunch of ice-immune monkzerkers can handle it well enough too but godspeed strike has some crazy alpha strike potential. I didn't go buy +speed gear first either otherwise most people would've beenin the 95-105 range instead of 85-95 and I'm sure that would be a nice dmg boost. It's like Therion in Octopath all over again. :ese:
(yes I'm aware there's a good rare steal cheesing setup i could setup too but that'll come eventually)

Due to farming to get the rare drop and magpie passives for a bunch of people I think I went from 22 to 26 after I got red mage, which Elvis mastered since he has MP saver from beastmaster already, and mastered black mage as well. The rare drop rate boosting passive gets extremely silly when you start running it on multiple characters too.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 6, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OK, two hours in impressions:

1. they didn't fix the sword/grass cutting mechanic. It's nice to find random items, it still is too tedious to actually cut grass because it doesn't hit enough area at once. I know the 2nd demo claims to have fixed that, but I can't see a significant enough difference between demo 1 and the release of the game. IDC about hitting mobs early but I think either they should have taken it out, or increased the range by double what it's at now.
2. even on casual it's kind of a lot harder than I expected
3. gently caress wolves gently caress off, stop bumrushing me, I'm trying to do poo poo
4. oh that undulating tree mass is just a bunch of very strong random enemies that is even stronger than me after two hours of grinding? ok.
5. oh rare mob, it's harder? ok yeah I saved my game, wtf it one shot Adelle? I guess it didn't like me singing "Hello". OK run away I guess
6. what the poo poo is this tooltip thing that is overlaying other menu items instead of it not overlaying other menu items to show a description, this is failing UX Design 101, what the gently caress. Oh, click LMB, come on.
7. weight is stupid and whoever thought it was okay should be flogged with a wet noodle, especially since it doesn't SEEM? to go up with level up, or if it does, not fast enough, or equipment is generally too heavy
8. I think this kind of art style was more impressive and impactful when it was on the 3DS with the 3D effect, as a means of showing off the weak hardware of the 3DS in a cool way. Here, on the switch on a 4k screen, it just looks like them trying to summon nostalgia except it doesn't really look that improved from way back when. The character GFX is better than demo 1, but eh
9. no turn counter and a whole lot of "well this is a general showing of who could be next but you NEVER KNOW :imunfunny: " is a whole lot of go gently caress yourself. Put a turn counter on in a turn based game or loving stop making your game. I hate this not being there so much.
10. But Thou Must Deal With It, Verily! Forsooth, this style of talking is literally the TAINT. UGHHHH
11. no auto battle button, but there is Press Y, do you want to re-enter the info from this character's last actions? y/n? additional set of button prompts that I can tell are gonna get on my nerves, and if anything probably is to dissuade you from doing cool manuvers like in BD1 where you could do a ninja/dragoon setup and just afk the superbosses. Yeah, cheese isn't "balanced" but it's a single player game, who cares, let me break the game over my knee, you aren't my mother.
12. graphics look better, lantern dynamic lighting causing shadows through trees is neato, though that's just probably some basic engine capabilities since it's running on Unreal Engine 4.
13. Night lasts only about maybe a minute tops, so it's a bit jarring for it to keep going between night and day so quickly. Wish it either didn't have a day/night, or it happened slower.
14. graphics are better but I might be expecting too much to ask for even 2x aliasing from the switch in docked mode.
15. going back to point 1 I could probably be less grumpy about it if the MC didn't turn around like he's got one leg buried underground and spun around faster, especially to turn around and face the wolves that just zoomed at you from off screen so fast that it's too late to properly react to it having happened.

So far I'm kind of disappointed but, also I like leveling up and equipping the job classes and the grind so far isn't horrible, I don't think I'm going to cut any more grass in the game ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I wonder if they added the weight mechanic specifically to counteract people being able to farm the rare drops from rare mobs and not wanting to let people run around with super powerful gear without making some sacrifices to use it at low levels.

LiefKatano posted:

I'm not entirely certain if monk is overtuned or if black mage is just undertuned. It's quite possible it's both, but it's at least one of them.

For the berserker boss, at least, Firebird into Fires of War was both safer (insofar as triggering a counter only caused the boss to cleave the monk in two instead of the whole party) and more damaging than Blizzaga. Firebird also lets you use Firaga more, sure, but Fires of War was still dealing a lot more damage. I think the HP costs, combined with bosses adoring counter attacks, are supposed to be the balance, but...

The specialty that unlocks at level 12 does not help either!

I think they messed up something in the black mage damage calculations for players. I can run a white mage with much less healing power than a black mage's offensive power can cure 1600hp with Cura while the black mage is lucky to break 1k damage with an -aga spell against something weak to the element.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Also BM doesn't have any interesting moves or passives

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It does weird me out that they didn't continue with the thing they had in the previous games where a single job level would provide several spells. Casters lose a ton of levels to just getting upgraded versions of the same couple of spells.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Impermanent posted:

If you're really having trouble clearing dungeons in Ch. 3 I recommend looking over your available jobs and passive to make a character a trash clearer that ends fights in the first turn and the first round of combat. You have all the puzzle pieces necessary to do this if you're at the tower, and have a few easy grind locations with likely copious monster bait

Yeah, you shouldn't be spending like an hour and a half in any of the dungeons lol. The mobs should all be running away from you on sight, and if they aren't, just take like a couple minutes to grind a little. Use monster food and just level up some jobs. Once the monsters run from you, getting through an dungeon shouldn't really take any time at all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

raditts posted:

Have you played Undertale? If so, you've pretty much already seen the ending to Bravely Second.

That's more Chapter 5 than the ending, but I can't fully disagree with that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't be spending like an hour and a half in any of the dungeons lol. The mobs should all be running away from you on sight, and if they aren't, just take like a couple minutes to grind a little. Use monster food and just level up some jobs. Once the monsters run from you, getting through an dungeon shouldn't really take any time at all.

So your advice for someone thinking the dungeons are too long is to waste time grinding *before* the dungeon so the dungeons are a bit faster? :psyduck:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think they messed up something in the black mage damage calculations for players. I can run a white mage with much less healing power than a black mage's offensive power can cure 1600hp with Cura while the black mage is lucky to break 1k damage with an -aga spell against something weak to the element.

I wouldn't compare healing vs. damage (healing doesn't factor in magic defense) but there's definitely something up.

I'll definitely have to formally test things at some point, though...

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also BM doesn't have any interesting moves or passives

To be fair this isn't a problem exclusive to this game. Black Mages have always been boring, "cast the spells that make the peoples fall down" guys.

It's just exacerbated here because of the "one job level = exactly one spell" thing (which really should've been circumvented at least for the basic elemental spells...) and the whole, y'know. Not being very good at making people fall down comparatively thing. :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

OK, two hours in impressions:

So far I'm kind of disappointed but, also I like leveling up and equipping the job classes and the grind so far isn't horrible, I don't think I'm going to cut any more grass in the game ever.

Kinda feels like you spent more time writing this list than playing the game, maybe you should just play the game more.

If it helps, cutting grass is completely unnecessary beyond the first area, and really is only useful there because you might find more money in the grass than you would doing a few fights, and you might find an odd item that is expensive / isn't in the shops yet. Once you progress past the first area and can actually afford tents / inns after one or two battles, there's literally no reason to cut grass except if it's slowing you down to walk through it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Derp I thought this was about beastmaster not black mage ;_;

Atk up on BP spent interacts very well with berserker attack all strate for trash and any burst setup for bosses. My godspeed strikes were doing 9999 as early as chapter 3.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 6, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
pleasantly enjoying how hosed up the endgame stuff is. Godspeed is still a major part of the toolkit but it definitely has to be supplemented by a well rounded roster now.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Atk up on BP spent interacts very well with berserker attack all strate for trash and any burst setup for bosses. My godspeed strikes were doing 9999 as early as chapter 3.

they're talking about black mage, not beast master

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The job abilities are automatically being used when you unlock them as long as you're using that job as your primary and you don't need to use points for it right? Something like Monk's bare handed attack bonus or the berzerker status negation for instance?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Shame Boy posted:

The job abilities are automatically being used when you unlock them as long as you're using that job as your primary and you don't need to use points for it right? Something like Monk's bare handed attack bonus or the berzerker status negation for instance?

No, I think you have to equip the abilities no matter what. I know you do for bare knuckle brawler.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

The Shame Boy posted:

no. the monk's fist thing is an equipped passive, and you have to equip equip passives to use them. You only get the starter passives and the level 12 mastery passive for having the job as primary

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I heard you cannot adjust the encounter rate in this?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Not everyone can have Tiz's encounter rate control powers.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I heard you cannot adjust the encounter rate in this?

Enemies run around the overworld and you get into a battle if you run into them (similar to Earthbound/Tales games). They run away from you if you're overleveled, and you can lure them in for multiple battles with bait.

On a different note, magic does get quite strong in the mid-late game once you start being able to combine multiple jobs, allowing it to crit, etc. My Red Mage was actually outdamaging my fighter for a bit towards the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao I just completed Beastmaster on Seth and with this "increases stats based off of number of captured monsters" ability he now has almost literally double the physical/magic attack/defense stats of everyone else in the party.

Shame that I'm going to instantly change his class for the JP. I'm debating mostly ignoring Beastmaster even though it's really strong, just because I can't stop myself from obsessing over capturing everything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Still fairly early but i'm beginning to wonder why I bothered investing in a couple of Monks when Godspeed Strike does double the damage of Pressure Point and doesn't cost any bp. This used to be an endgame skill but now i'm slinging them around in chapter 2. It doesn't feel fair.

I really enjoy how it takes way less jp to max out a class compared to the previous games, it means you get to access to a lot of the better tools much earlier though I guess the bosses are also a bit more highly tuned because of it. Man, this games kind of a weird experience. It has a lot of frustrating elements and some changes to systems that were already perfected in previous games, but in other ways it's a real step forward for the series. It's a strange feeling though i'm really enjoying my time with this game, so it's doing something right.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drat, only in Chapter 1 and the Berserker fighter is ruining me. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have dual classed by Bard to my White Mage because it's buff OR heal and the incoming damage is so eye-wateringly high I really wish I was doing both, especially as Black Mage seems to be an active liability in the fight. What tricks did people use to get around him? I've already figured I can dispel his berserk with Freelancer but he still keeps wearing my party down faster than I can keep them alive, especially as my main source of damage is currently through Monk spend HP attacks which nearly always seems to end with her being AoE'd down at the worst times.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Enemies run around the overworld and you get into a battle if you run into them (similar to Earthbound/Tales games). They run away from you if you're overleveled, and you can lure them in for multiple battles with bait.

Well that's okay. I slipped off the repeat thing but finished one and never got into second layer. Would I enjoy this if I still think FFV/Press turn system is the hottest poo poo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

drat, only in Chapter 1 and the Berserker fighter is ruining me. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have dual classed by Bard to my White Mage because it's buff OR heal and the incoming damage is so eye-wateringly high I really wish I was doing both, especially as Black Mage seems to be an active liability in the fight. What tricks did people use to get around him? I've already figured I can dispel his berserk with Freelancer but he still keeps wearing my party down faster than I can keep them alive, especially as my main source of damage is currently through Monk spend HP attacks which nearly always seems to end with her being AoE'd down at the worst times.

If you've got a Vanguard with enrage use that to draw aggro away from the rest of the party. With a defense buff up a Vanguard should be able to survive one or two blows and give your healers time to keep on top of the damage.

And if you've got it you might want to go with Pressure Point for the Monk. It costs an extra bp but no health so the monk won't be as likely to die to a stray aoe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That boss, and most bosses I've fought up to the start of Ch.3 have zero resist to poison so even if your damage output is low, you can stall him out as a last resort.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now that black mage and vanguard are maxed and dealing monster damage monk really doesn't seem worth the HP cost. Most of the attacks deal more damage to me than to the enemy.

And I'm in the same boat having tied bard to white mage and regretting it. In a tough fight there's just never an opportunity to use any buffs unless I start sacrificing a bunch of turns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Bard/White Mage. Cura heals so much that with a full brave chain I can usually heal everyone to full and still throw out a buff or two.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

raditts posted:

Kinda feels like you spent more time writing this list than playing the game, maybe you should just play the game more.

If it helps, cutting grass is completely unnecessary beyond the first area, and really is only useful there because you might find more money in the grass than you would doing a few fights, and you might find an odd item that is expensive / isn't in the shops yet. Once you progress past the first area and can actually afford tents / inns after one or two battles, there's literally no reason to cut grass except if it's slowing you down to walk through it.

Nah it only took me 15 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Get a Job.