Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Holy poo poo I'm dying at the alternate version

e: I'm now dead and a ghost so someone please find me a Scottish sex candle to haunt, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"The weather control system is off, and it is now more like real scotland than ever!" They say on the obvious set.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm just going to assume that the reason Beverly ducks out of the scene at the end is because she's heading up to the bridge to beat the poo poo out of Picard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

Perhaps a metaphor for people being pigheadedly determined to suffer and experience conditions of scarcity and lack rather than take straightforward steps to resolve technical problems, due to unexamined philosophical assumptions? That would be an excellent parable of America - and I'll let you fill in the gaps yourself :v:

But Disco is so OPTIMISTIC!!!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Picard 'died' when he tossed aside the priceless archaeology item that he was gifted in TNG during Generations.

12 seconds in to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHSX9e1TadA

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

happyhippy posted:

Picard 'died' when he tossed aside the priceless archaeology item that he was gifted in TNG during Generations.

the Kerlin Nescar!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tighclops posted:

I can relate. Star Trek was my first love, after Picardshow I don't care about anything happens in any version of that universe anymore. I still love the old stuff I loved before, but the thought of going back to that world or seeing any of those characters again leaves me feeling cold inside.

So cold.

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek's universe goes as far as the very end of What You Leave Behind, pt. 2. Maybe Lower Decks is in there too, since it generally seems OK, but that's about it. No Star Trek after Voyager sounds remotely worth my time and effort.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

happyhippy posted:

Eh,

I think you can read that differently. Throughout that movie he's been coming to terms with loosing his family in the fire at the vinyard. The time in the Nexus is him being tempted with a still living and loving family. The last piece of them he has, the old family photo album which he looks at with Guinan at the start of the movie in 10 Forward was in his ready room. That last piece of his family was more valuable to him than any ancient artifact and what he ultimately comes away with after scouring the wreckage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Eh,

I think you can read that differently. Throughout that movie he's been coming to terms with loosing his family in the fire at the vinyard. The time in the Nexus is him being tempted with a still living and loving family. The last piece of them he has, the old family photo album which he looks at with Guinan at the start of the movie in 10 Forward was in his ready room. That last piece of his family was more valuable to him than any ancient artifact and what he ultimately comes away with after scouring the wreckage.

It still blows me away to this day how people completely misinterpret that moment all because Red Letter Media added in a funny glass breaking sound effect to it like 15 years ago now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McSpanky posted:

But Disco is so OPTIMISTIC!!!
As best as I can tell, anything short of "humans are simultaneously terminally ignorant and uncurious cruelty-factories AND rapacious unstoppable fiendishly-innovative torture-capitalists who would simultaneously enslave and eat other life forms while violently murdering them at the same time" qualifies as "optimistic" nowadays

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Don't forget that they had to add "dumb as poo poo" since literally 4 movies were made about how star fleet stopped earth from being murked, and having star fleet was a good thing.

The borg should have literally taught them they needed a strong space fleet and that the dangers of the galaxy were many!

But nope 1000 years later, and they have no space ships just some satellites that couldn't have stopped the xindi super weapon.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I held the same opinion until Picard rolled around. Sweet Jesus, that show is exceptionally terrible. I've watched it stone-cold sober, I've watched it high as gently caress, and I can find almost nothing redeeming about it.

At least Nemesis had a decent-ish score and some solid effects work? I guess? Although the hilariously bad matte painting of Alaska at the wedding reception makes me laugh every time.

Edit: Thinking of Bad Trek just reminded me of Burnham talking about how Georgiou was like a sister and a mother to her and how everyone said they were going to miss her and jesus tap dancing christ I'm mad all over again

Yeah, you... you might be right about Picard. I've already forgotten so much of it. I think the thing about Nemesis is how much of it stuck in my brain and is just so easy to remember the ways in which it was bad.

As for Georgiou, that whole eulogy to the murderous space dictator was really something. I guess the producers felt like they really needed to get people pumped up for her for that Section 31 series?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

As for Georgiou, that whole eulogy to the murderous space dictator was really something. I guess the producers felt like they really needed to get people pumped up for her for that Section 31 series?
I'm extremely glad that we spent two episodes of a 13 episode season on what is essentially a side trip back to the Mirror Universe. Especially since now Paramount is kind of downplaying the idea that the S31 show is going to happen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Eh,

Even aside from this 100% correct take, are we assuming that Picard, who lives someplace that violently changes direction sometimes, has less respect for archaeology than Indiana "It Belongs In A Museum" Jones? The original is probably being studied by professionals while Picard keeps a replicated copy on his desk.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm extremely glad that we spent two episodes of a 13 episode season on what is essentially a side trip back to the Mirror Universe. Especially since now Paramount is kind of downplaying the idea that the S31 show is going to happen.

Pike's series is delayed isn't it and being downplayed as well? Disco seems to be a bad launch vehicle in general.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Axe-man posted:

Pike's series is delayed isn't it and being downplayed as well? Disco seems to be a bad launch vehicle in general.
No it's not delayed. They've been filming.

The specific thing I am referencing is about 10 days ago when Paramount had their big conference to talk about the switch to Paramount Plus, and the suits specifically said that S31 is on indefinite hold because they are sticking with having 5 Trek shows in production at once (Disco, Picard, SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy, the kid's show that was originally going to be on Nickelodeon but is instead going to Paramount Plus).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'd love to go back a couple years and tell past me that there are going to be five concurrent Star Trek shows, and that I won't like or be interested in any of them.

Oh and also warn everybody about the coronavirus.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I enjoyed the Red Letter Media videos where they complained a lot about Discovery, so I went searching for more of those videos to watch on Youtube while folding laundry. BOY does that send you down an alt-right rabbit hole quickly!

It's weird seeing a bunch of guys who are ostensibly Star Trek fans complain about diversity, considering that that was a huge part of Star Trek from the beginning.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Even aside from this 100% correct take, are we assuming that Picard, who lives someplace that violently changes direction sometimes, has less respect for archaeology than Indiana "It Belongs In A Museum" Jones? The original is probably being studied by professionals while Picard keeps a replicated copy on his desk.

We actually see it in Picard, it's being held in stasis in his room at the Starfleet Archive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blastedhellscape posted:

I enjoyed the Red Letter Media videos where they complained a lot about Discovery, so I went searching for more of those videos to watch on Youtube while folding laundry. BOY does that send you down an alt-right rabbit hole quickly!

It's weird seeing a bunch of guys who are ostensibly Star Trek fans complain about diversity, considering that that was a huge part of Star Trek from the beginning.

The "funny Star Trek video to Actual Sieg Heiling No Joke Nazi channel" YouTube pipeline is basically shaped like this

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Just stick to RLM. And I absolutely agree with his challenge at the end of the Picard review. Make Picard gay drat it! Or any main character. For all it's progressive ideals LGBT themes are always where Trek has stumbled. Like at least the newer stuff has them, but these days you get no points unless it's the main character.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing how many fans of the thing that on more than one occasion has been explicit about saying nazis are bad turn out to actually be nazis or at least fash-adjacent

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

It's amazing how many fans of the thing that on more than one occasion has been explicit about saying nazis are bad turn out to actually be nazis or at least fash-adjacent
They like the cool heavily-armed spaceships and the strong leaders who shoot aliens with ray guns and the military hierarchy where everyone has to do what they're told (while assuming that they'd be the ones giving the orders). Somehow they miss all the other stuff that frequently isn't even subtext but is right there upfront.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just watched Genesis, and a thing I really liked was how proud Worf was of his improved weapons and how completely uninterested Picard was.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Of course that doesn't explain why factions that will happily use slave labor or are willing to sacrifice for the greater society (Borg, Dominion's Vorta and Jem'Hadar, even Cardassians who are supremely loyal to the State) wouldn't step up and become the new masters of the galaxy, being willing to risk themselves. Or why the use of automated, uncrewed, ships wouldn't become the norm just in case things do blow up again.

This is what happened in season 3??? The Emerald Chain was roughly an anti-Federation, and a better one than the Dominion was. It happily treated lives as property, had a policy of exploiting pre-warp worlds, but also had its own military and political structure. The writers didn't use it properly, but they did give the impression it was larger than the Federation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

They like the cool heavily-armed spaceships and the strong leaders who shoot aliens with ray guns and the military hierarchy where everyone has to do what they're told (while assuming that they'd be the ones giving the orders). Somehow they miss all the other stuff that frequently isn't even subtext but is right there upfront.

It’s that Gundam meme only it’s the Enterprise instead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s that Gundam meme only it’s the Enterprise instead.
To be fair to the shithead libertarians, when there was only TOS to consider, it would be very easy to read whatever idealized situation you wanted into what was present. It's not contradictory to an interpretation that is "a somewhat rougher version of what the 90s shows got across" but it's also not contradictory to some kind of rugged idealized naval service business. I think Starfleet Battles, which includes ships named after people like Idi Amin and Rush Limbaugh, is an example of the latter.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
As to Romulan artificial singularity, there's no reason to assume the Romulans in Disco use the same because it's never mentioned and I don't think it's expressly stated that Disco is in the Prime timeline.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

V-Men posted:

As to Romulan artificial singularity, there's no reason to assume the Romulans in Disco use the same because it's never mentioned and I don't think it's expressly stated that Disco is in the Prime timeline.

Discovery was announced to be in the Prime timeline right around the time that the first premise / story details were announced. That's one of the reasons the second season ended with Spock's absurd plan of "uh, okay, we're going to say the Discovery blew up, and we pinky swear not to discuss the Discovery, the spore drive or the batshit insane AI we just defeated with anyone, ever, under penalty of treason," it was to lampshade why the ship and its tech never came up in prior series.

Edit: Pike also sees his destiny of going from original recipe to extra crispy, as opposed to dying in a conference room shootout straight out of The Godfather Part III. Discovery is Prime, not Kelvin.

Timby fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 6, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The characters in Season 3 even talk about the Kelvin timeline and mention how that it isn't them but it spawned from them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What about the Giant Spock timeline?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nessus posted:

What about the Giant Spock timeline?

That's Prime. Actually the most prime of all timelines.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Season 4 of Disco should have Giant Spock brief the Discovery crew of their next mission at the beginning of each episode, a la Mission Impossible.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Prime Spock may have disappeared into a red-matter wormhole, but yeah, no reason why Giant Spock couldn't still be kicking about. More than enough Spock to go around!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

An impossibly large, bright red pulsar is spotted at the outer extremes of the known universe. After a season of madcap adventures, we discover it was Giant Spock in a giant flashing SPOCK helmet

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I wonder if any show will pick up the cut content that is Saavik and Spock's kid. Has that been done anywhere? Seems like you could have some good story with that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HopperUK posted:

I wonder if any show will pick up the cut content that is Saavik and Spock's kid. Has that been done anywhere? Seems like you could have some good story with that.
Apparently Saavik was meant to be half-Romulan, too, but that also got dropped.

And she was meant to be the rando bridge officer stood next to Cpt. Frasier in Cause & Effect, but Kirstie Alley wanted more money than they could afford.

Honestly I'm amazed nobody decided to pick up on the hinted Saavik and David relationship in Search for Spock and said she was pregnant with his kid. But that might be a bit too fanficy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently Saavik was meant to be half-Romulan, too, but that also got dropped.

And she was meant to be the rando bridge officer stood next to Cpt. Frasier in Cause & Effect, but Kirstie Alley wanted more money than they could afford.

Honestly I'm amazed nobody decided to pick up on the hinted Saavik and David relationship in Search for Spock and said she was pregnant with his kid. But that might be a bit too fanficy.

I could totally see that. And it felt like they were in some kind of relationship. Also I know she was originally meant to be Valeris but they couldn't even get her second actress back for that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eimi posted:

I could totally see that. And it felt like they were in some kind of relationship. Also I know she was originally meant to be Valeris but they couldn't even get her second actress back for that.

I thought that was more that Nick Meyer didn't care for Robin Curtis's performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why doesnt anyone say good morning when starting a shift on the bridge? And why don't the bridge chairs have seatbelts? Seems like they could use some.