Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

haha dude just went for it, and his falls were much more graceful than I remember mine being on my first day. give him some lessons and a couple more weeks on snow and he'll be spinning off jumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

GREAT weekend in the Duffy Lake area. Saturday was all time. Fresh snow, faceshots galore, sunny and cold. Sunday was socked in and where we went was slab city, but manageable. A bit lower in down in the run it cleared up and the snow got stable.

Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq0wnISPYoA

Sunday:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kiimo posted:

For those of you who don't follow the NFL, Alvin Kamara is an elite running back for the New Orleans Saints, top 3 in the league. He's known for his balance.

Here it is on full display, this is dude's first day snowboarding.

https://twitter.com/A_kamara6/status/1366547207785222145

edit: pulls off a jump. My first day was lol comparatively

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1366568271936450566

Somebody get him over his front foot.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

The old boomer saying goes: What's the difference between a beginner snowboarder and a snowboard instructor? Three days. So he's about 2 days ahead of most people due to his elite athletic talent.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

stratdax posted:

GREAT weekend in the Duffy Lake area.

drat that looks awesome, good work getting out there.

Dug a pit on our tour this weekend and, uh, there is most definitely a big ol slab in the CO snowpack. First time for me feeling and seeing that, helps put together a lot of the things I've learned this season. It's one thing to intellectually understand the subject, but it's another to get out there and see it in the field.

Picture because of course

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I don't have a picture but the sandy faceted layer at the base of our utah snowpack is seriously the best visual and tactile indicator of what a persistent weak layer is.

You can find it anywhere and it's literally like tiny little BBs that the entire snowpack is resting on. Really drives it home when you can see the slab sitting on it and you can reach your hand into the PWL and watch it act like a pile of loose sand.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone have thoughts on the Arcteryx Sabre LT bibs? They're on sale right now and we have some credit/coupons, but the reviews seem kind of mixed. Has arcteryx stuff gone downhilll (:v:)?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Arcteryx Sabre LT bibs? They're on sale right now and we have some credit/coupons, but the reviews seem kind of mixed. Has arcteryx stuff gone downhilll (:v:)?

I got the Sabre LT pants this season and like them. I purposely got them for their lack of insulation and have had no issue with warmth as I just layer base layers appropriately underneath and looking forward to the Spring. I've put probably 50 something days on them patrolling and they're holding up as well as one could hope.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

New split arrived. :getin:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

Might be able to keep up with that 1.3lb reduction.... :smuggo:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Might be able to keep up with that 1.3lb reduction.... :smuggo:

No but I'll look cooler while I'm gasping for air with this cool top sheet. Also the skin clips/slots on the board are awesome. Super quick to get the skins on properly. No adjusting anything.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah I don't have a picture but the sandy faceted layer at the base of our utah snowpack is seriously the best visual and tactile indicator of what a persistent weak layer is.

You can find it anywhere and it's literally like tiny little BBs that the entire snowpack is resting on. Really drives it home when you can see the slab sitting on it and you can reach your hand into the PWL and watch it act like a pile of loose sand.

Also those basal facets are very crunchy if you bite them. Much more satisfying munching than consolidated snow

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

I think I've got 70-80 days on mine now and I love them. I wear the knickers underneath most days or just the shells with a baselayer in the spring.

I haven't noticed a reduction in quality in their stuff the past few years and their repair/warranty program is great to deal with.

Partial Octopus posted:

Hell yes. I'm eyeing up a miligram split + phantom hardboot setup for next year for maximum lightness. Post impressions once you get it out!

casque
Mar 17, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

My wife landed on K2 Wayback 96s this weekend so we finally both have our own gear and can just go out whenever without having to book stuff. Super stoked to get our setups dialed and get on some longer tours.

Nice choice, wife!

highme
May 25, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

I am enjoying the composition of this gear pic.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm a fan of Amplid. I've been riding the UNW8 as my groomer day board for a number of years and it's a very traditional shape but super light and super fun.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Verdict: the Wasatch is rad.

This year's persistent layer is certainly a bummer but there's still plenty of goods to be had.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Gorgeous photos Spime Wrangler.

I'm super psyched because we figured out a way to comply with travel requirements so we're going to Stowe for the kids spring break. Hopefully we have enough snowpack then so we can explore some side country at Stowe.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
good lord the lodging industry is so ridiculous

but it pays for my pass

:chaostrump:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Black Diamond Initiates Recall for PIEPS DSP Avalanche Transceivers.
https://gearjunkie.com/black-diamond-pieps-dsp-recall

Oh my God, no way! I will say that they replaced and upgraded my DSP to a BT Pro no questions asked and free of charge in August. But glad to see they're doing the right thing (a few years too late)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Black Diamond Initiates Recall for PIEPS DSP Avalanche Transceivers.
https://gearjunkie.com/black-diamond-pieps-dsp-recall

Oh my God, no way! I will say that they replaced and upgraded my DSP to a BT Pro no questions asked and free of charge in August. But glad to see they're doing the right thing (a few years too late)

sucks if you are in Europe though. You get a hard case to put it in.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yuns posted:

I'm super psyched because we figured out a way to comply with travel requirements so we're going to Stowe for the kids spring break. Hopefully we have enough snowpack then so we can explore some side country at Stowe.

Hopefully we get a good dump between now and then! That thaw / freeze cycle (first since Christmas?!) last week has made on hill skiing kind of garbage. Trees are alright if you can find fresh snow, and even then it's super variable.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Master_Odin posted:

Hopefully we get a good dump between now and then! That thaw / freeze cycle (first since Christmas?!) last week has made on hill skiing kind of garbage. Trees are alright if you can find fresh snow, and even then it's super variable.
Here in NJ 2 weeks ago we had awesome conditions but the same freeze thaw cycles have made everything ice.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

How dangerous is it to be skiing with a hard toe binding if you’ve never skied before?

After several years of snowboarding I’m learning how to ski with my girlfriend at Seven Springs next week. My shop hooked me up with a pair of Enforcer 94s and Pivot 15s, which I know is already an advanced setup, but the toe piece has me questioning if it’s a good idea or not.
I don’t know what it’s specifically called w/r/t the hard toe, but it doesn’t have a release like the 12s or 14s do. My DIN still makes the cut and I’m not concerned about that, really just the release factor with the different piece.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Macnult posted:

How dangerous is it to be skiing with a hard toe binding if you’ve never skied before?

After several years of snowboarding I’m learning how to ski with my girlfriend at Seven Springs next week. My shop hooked me up with a pair of Enforcer 94s and Pivot 15s, which I know is already an advanced setup, but the toe piece has me questioning if it’s a good idea or not.
I don’t know what it’s specifically called w/r/t the hard toe, but it doesn’t have a release like the 12s or 14s do. My DIN still makes the cut and I’m not concerned about that, really just the release factor with the different piece.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Looking at the Look 15 Pivots they have an aluminum toe:

RACE ALUMINUM TOE PIECE
Featuring 45mm of elastic travel and 180⁰ multi-directional release, the all-metal RACE toe piece offers maximum power, precision, and durability across all disciplines, from the Alpine World Cup to Freestyle, Freeride and Moguls.

I can't see what the issue is if the din goes low enough for you. Maybe I am missing something here.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Looks like the DIN setting can go as 6, which should be low enough unless you're a tiny person...
I also have no idea what you're getting at, Macnult.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Pivot 15s are nice bindings

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

The DIN isn’t of any concern — sorry for being confusing. Looking into it more, what my coworkers meant by “hard toe” was that Pivot 15s don’t have an upward release like the 12s and 14s. I was wondering if that’s something I should be cautious of.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Macnult posted:

The DIN isn’t of any concern — sorry for being confusing. Looking into it more, what my coworkers meant by “hard toe” was that Pivot 15s don’t have an upward release like the 12s and 14s. I was wondering if that’s something I should be cautious of.

No. You will be fine.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Macnult posted:

Upward release happens at the heel with ski bindings. The toe piece releases laterally. Here's what Look says about their heel piece.
Multi Directional Release
- LOOK is the only binding brand to develop a true mechanical upward release that functions independently from the heel for the most effective 180° MULTI DIRECTIONAL RELEASE in the instance of a fall.

I don't know exactly what means between the marketing BS, but either way, it definitely has upward release and you're good. Honestly ski gear is good enough nowadays that it's hard to go wrong, and a shop certainly won't line you up with something crazy unless you specifically know what you're asking for.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 6, 2021

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Embarrassingly enough I work at a ski shop so I had done (or at least thought I did) all my research beforehand. My boss threw that curveball at me today and I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but for the first time ever he might actually be wrong about something

highme
May 25, 2001

I think this is a good marker of just how overly complicated ski equipment is.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Is there any good primer on how to shop for bindings and boots? I’ve got skis and I’ll probably walk into a local shop post vax to get boots and bindings but I’d like to be able to have an informed conversation about what I’m looking for.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

PCjr sidecar posted:

Is there any good primer on how to shop for bindings and boots? I’ve got skis and I’ll probably walk into a local shop post vax to get boots and bindings but I’d like to be able to have an informed conversation about what I’m looking for.

How strong of a skier are you and what kind of terrain do you usually ski? Do you ever tour or take long hikes?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would suggest going to a knowledgeable local shop and talking with a fitter. It might cost a little if you don't buy from them but that will be your best chance of success when it comes to boots. Most people left on their own will buy boots too big.

An experienced boot fitter will look at your feet in several ways and find boots that cater to them the most suggesting customizations like molding, insoles, wedges, grinding or punches if needed. Most shops will discount mounting prices if you buy one or several pieces of your setup from them like boots, skis, or bindings.

I just went through it and can't wait to get out on my new setup.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
just gonna chime in here and say do snowboarding instead

e: it’s very straightforward

highme
May 25, 2001

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Have you considered the value add of a boutique boot fitting? Are you sure you're able to transform every bit of energy to the desired edge pressure you're after?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

This is a lie.

You stand sideways.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Eejit posted:

How strong of a skier are you and what kind of terrain do you usually ski? Do you ever tour or take long hikes?

Solid intermediate in the upper midwest. Mostly midwest resorts; sometimes trees. No touring or hiking; do a fair amount of XC but have dedicated skis for that.

Verman posted:

I would suggest going to a knowledgeable local shop and talking with a fitter. It might cost a little if you don't buy from them but that will be your best chance of success when it comes to boots. Most people left on their own will buy boots too big.

An experienced boot fitter will look at your feet in several ways and find boots that cater to them the most suggesting customizations like molding, insoles, wedges, grinding or punches if needed. Most shops will discount mounting prices if you buy one or several pieces of your setup from them like boots, skis, or bindings.

I just went through it and can't wait to get out on my new setup.

Yes; I’m onboard with the local shop plan, I’d just like to be able to clearly articulate my preferences etc when talking to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Pivots are basically the best ski binding as was alluded to previously.

Fun facts:

Pivots are basically the original modern ski binding. They began life as the Look brand Nevada binding, and were named after Look magazine (a popular Time/Life style rag at the time) and the state of NV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Nevada

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 6, 2021