Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I bought mine yesterday through Amazon, guessing there's no way to get the $20 difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol Amazon CS is such a crapshoot. First guy says he needs someone else to make the decision, second guy says I can't get the difference back, but offers to cancel the order. I thank him but say I'll do it myself.

When I try to, the system says the cancellation isn't guaranteed to work. So I contact them again. The new person asks me not to cancel, and offers to give me the $20 difference when I get the package. This sounds a little sketchy, but they send an email confirming the offer. Apparently I'm just supposed to bring it up in chat when I get the monitor. I have my doubts it'll be that straightforward.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rinkles posted:

Lol Amazon CS is such a crapshoot. First guy says he needs someone else to make the decision, second guy says I can't get the difference back, but offers to cancel the order. I thank him but say I'll do it myself.

When I try to, the system says the cancellation isn't guaranteed to work. So I contact them again. The new person asks me not to cancel, and offers to give me the $20 difference when I get the package. This sounds a little sketchy, but they send an email confirming the offer. Apparently I'm just supposed to bring it up in chat when I get the monitor. I have my doubts it'll be that straightforward.

My dude have you ever considered you would have been better off just sticking with the LG instead of going through this fuckabout

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I returned it a while ago. Really didn't like it. Bright/vibrant images did look great on it, though.

der ruhige
Nov 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi thread, I've been looking into monitors for my new gaming PC that I'll be building soon. I've been looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9HCJ2V/ref=twister_B08P3BF5DR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 but have some concerns. Primarily, 49 inches seems huge for a computer monitor that will be less than two feet from my face. This will be pushed by a 3090. Is it too big? If so, what alternatives would you suggest?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I too would be curious to know.

I've been looking at those but got a little scared off by 5120. 32:9 seems a little sketchy with support for games from what I saw, although I haven't dug exhaustively.

My 3440x1440 21:9 seems to work pretty well though.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
The Dell S2721DGF is the same panel/etc as all the other like "top spec" 27" 1440p monitors right? Just saw it's on sale at BestBuy(via slickdeals: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s...645f6083ee10INT) and I was thinking about grabbing two of them to get up to current generation when it comes to monitors. I know it's been on sale for less before like $389 or $399 or so, but it seems to have been out of stock/price at $500/etc for the past few months when I've checked for it everywhere. So I'm fine paying a little premium to actually get em.

Good deal?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Dude. I sit like 3 feet away from a 32 inch + 27 inch side by side. Yes that adds up to 49 but I only look at one screen at a time.

49 on one screen? Lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sounds completely decadent. But in a cool way.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

der ruhige posted:

Hi thread, I've been looking into monitors for my new gaming PC that I'll be building soon. I've been looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9HCJ2V/ref=twister_B08P3BF5DR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 but have some concerns. Primarily, 49 inches seems huge for a computer monitor that will be less than two feet from my face. This will be pushed by a 3090. Is it too big? If so, what alternatives would you suggest?

They’re great for production/productivity apps where you have a lot open at once but are only looking at a small section at a time (spreadsheets, video editing, etc.), especially when it’s all in one app and you want to be able to work in center screen (ie don’t want a 2x monitor setup) but I wouldn’t want to try to game on one.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
32:9 1440p is about 12% fewer pixels than 4K, if you're concerned about how a 3090 will run it. You can probably just look at the 4K benchmarks and assume about 10-15% better FPS.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I figure it's time to upgrade from my old, cheap trash 22" Acer V223W and 19" Dell somethingorother I got from work when we were retiring them.

I've always really liked the Dell U-series, but will I notice that they aren't "gaming" monitors? I'm not a serious gaming guy and I've never noticed tearing with my current 5ms response time, but it seems like missing out on G-sync or whatever is an unforced error.

I do definitely want two monitors, so I guess I could get one S-series for losing videogames and a U-series to be my vertical monitor for everything else.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

100% Dundee posted:

The Dell S2721DGF is the same panel/etc as all the other like "top spec" 27" 1440p monitors right? Just saw it's on sale at BestBuy(via slickdeals: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s...645f6083ee10INT) and I was thinking about grabbing two of them to get up to current generation when it comes to monitors. I know it's been on sale for less before like $389 or $399 or so, but it seems to have been out of stock/price at $500/etc for the past few months when I've checked for it everywhere. So I'm fine paying a little premium to actually get em.

Good deal?

Not a bad monitor for the price. You are correct, it is the same panel as all a lot of the other recommended panels like the 27GL83A/27GL850/27GN850, Lenovo Y27Q-20, ViewSonic XG270QG, HP Omen 27i, Giga G27Q, etc etc. One Dell only feature is that it does have local dimming zones... but they are edge zones, so no, you still wont be using the HDR in Windows regularly if that is something that is a must have.

The 83A is in stock right now and it is a little cheaper at $380, but the Dell has a better stand, USB hub, and slightly faster refresh. Be warned if you do color work that RTings found the monitor to need calibration out of the box. After calibration, they should be pretty similar if not identical (LG doesnt market the 83A as being wide color gamut, but it has it)

Another one to look at is the MSI MAG274QRF-QD (all those letters) at $450. HardwareUnboxed really liked it and put it slightly above the LG panelled options.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Kalman posted:

They’re great for production/productivity apps where you have a lot open at once but are only looking at a small section at a time (spreadsheets, video editing, etc.), especially when it’s all in one app and you want to be able to work in center screen (ie don’t want a 2x monitor setup) but I wouldn’t want to try to game on one.

I ended up getting the odyssey g9 for work and gaming and don't have any regrets. Very nice and immersive

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

K8.0 posted:

It's aids and there is no good solution.

Please find another way to say this.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRTFZMdn714

Anyone have any comments regarding the asus VG27AQ? He talks about how apparently the asus TUF display in this vid uses ELMB sync.

Also how is this display/panel in comparison to what others goons have recommended, anyway. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Gaming-VG27AQ-G-SYNC-Monitor/dp/B07WQ4FXY9?tag=hardwar0d-20&geniuslink=true

100% Dundee posted:

Good deal?

Based on the comments replying to this, I am leaning heavily towards picking this one up. The monitor stats are great, and the I/O will be very helpful as I use my PC as a workstation; accessible I/O is a nice bonus feature.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

At equal/similar prices, I would rather get an LG paneled option than the VG27AQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2cwbWbDmo

If you like all the IO stuff on the Dell, there is also the Gigabyte M27Q worth considering. For pure gaming, the 83A probably wins at the price point, but the M27Q also has all the IO bells and whistles at a little bit lower price than the Dell.

Heres the RTings comparison:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/gigabyte-m27q-vs-dell-s2721dgf/19668/16485?usage=9091&threshold=0.1

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Samsung announced a g9 refresh with miniled... I imagine it will be well over $2000USD

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I pulled the trigger on the Dell S2721DGF - it just seems right for what I need it for right now. Fantastic panel with the bonus of accessible I/O. :dance:

I'm not really knowledgeable about how to color calibrate it though, so please direct me to what I need to know regarding that.

Also long term wise I want to pick up something like one of these babies: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 5, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lowness 72 posted:

Dude. I sit like 3 feet away from a 32 inch + 27 inch side by side. Yes that adds up to 49 but I only look at one screen at a time.

49 on one screen? Lol

49" is basically dual-screened 27, only without bezels in the middle. iirc it might actually be two curved panels and they just do some stuff to minimize the seam. It's 32:9 which is exactly two 16:9s side by side.

I would say it's better for gaming but I think you'd struggle to find many games that support an aspect ratio that wide. Cool for productivity though, as mentioned you basically have the equivalent of something like three or four 24" monitors side by side in portrait orientation if you want to use it like that. Ultrawides let you get a lot of stuff on the screen already and that's even wider.

I think 21:9 is probably more practical for the "I want something bigger than 16:9 but not dual screen" market but that could just be the fact that I own one talking. I suppose in another sense, 21:9 is a bit of an awkward spot, it's wide enough where you probably want to center it on your desk, but it's also not as wide as two full 16:9 monitors, so you don't have quite as much screen real estate as a "true" dual screen setup or that 32:9. But I think 21:9 is probably more practical for gaming.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 5, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So my old display is this puppy: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG248QE-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

I'm going to be using it vertically alongside my new dell 1440p display, either as a discord feed or to display art/animation reference material.

So now I want to get another one similar to it that's at a good price to have also at the other side of my display. Though another 144hz would be fine, I'm considering a 60/75hz display as an option for that too.

What are the good-priced budget 24'' 1080p displays goons would suggest for what I have in mind. (Needs to have a stand that lets it turn vertically obv.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 5, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spacedad posted:

So my old display is this puppy: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG248QE-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

I'm going to be using it vertically alongside my new dell 1440p display, either as a discord feed or to display art/animation reference material.

So now I want to get another one similar to it that's at a good price to have also at the other side of my display. Though another 144hz would be fine, I'm considering a 60/75hz display as an option for that too.

What are the good-priced budget 24'' 1080p displays goons would suggest for what I have in mind. (Needs to have a stand that lets it turn vertically obv.)

I bought two different 75hz 24" 1080p monitors last year, but neither one has a great stand and can't do portrait. Been pleased with both - an LG and an ASUS. The ASUS VA24DQ I got does have the holes for a VESA mount exposed on the back, and I've thought about getting a different stand for it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Not sure if doing something that (or going to a monitor arm) are something you'd consider or if it's cost-effective compared to finding a monitor with the specs you're looking for that already has a stand that can go portrait.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I know this was from a month ago, but I'm still lollin. It's so loving terrible.

LODGE NORTH posted:

So, I need some creatives.

I have a dual monitor setup, two 27GN950s, but boy, the RGB is loving annoying. My monitors aren't facing a wall, so whenever I wake them up, I essentially blind whoever is in the living "area" (it's an apartment).

It's hilariously obnoxious.

https://i.imgur.com/rcRfhiU.mp4

What options would I have to, like, cover this.

e: Spoilered to not blind people, jeez.
Edit: Look at the wall. That room just gets assaulted with RGB unicorn vomit every time those monitors wake up. I hate most "gamer" themed stuff, and this is probably the worst of that aesthetic that I've ever seen.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 5, 2021

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Those things are just itchin for a couple layers of super 33+

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Spacedad posted:

I pulled the trigger on the Dell S2721DGF - it just seems right for what I need it for right now. Fantastic panel with the bonus of accessible I/O. :dance:

I'm not really knowledgeable about how to color calibrate it though, so please direct me to what I need to know regarding that.

Also long term wise I want to pick up something like one of these babies: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor

Color calibration requires a color calibration tool like this - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6KPJ9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only really necessary if:

A) If you're a content creator and need consistent and accurate color reproduction across all the different displays you use (even between different computers).
B) You're using multiple monitors and want to make sure they're all showing the exact same color output.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

sarr posted:

Any U.S. goons want to try this one? https://www.microcenter.com/product...nitor_Hatchfeed

I really want 1440p on something bigger than 27" and this seems to check a lot of my boxes.

Sweet drat, I'm seriously thinking about getting one. I just built a new PC (5950X + 3080 RTX) and I'm wondering if I should get this or just wait for a decent 4K display?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That Dell also doesn't have an sRGB mode iirc, meaning there's only wide gamut which is nice for apps that support it, but the colours will look blown out in games.

You can calibrate the gamut so it might fit sRGB more, but it's probably why things might look weird.

e: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/S2721DGFA-add-sRGB-emulation-mode/td-p/7749526

Theoretical Cat
Jan 8, 2016
I'm in the market for a 2k high refresh rate monitor and found this at a local Microcenter.

I was curious if any goons had any experience with this monitor or Acer in general. I've never purchased Acer products but the display model looked pretty awesome.

I've never seen a 2k, 170Hz, HDR400 monitor at this price so I've figured it was one hell of a deal.

Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

It's currently selling for $350.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Theoretical Cat posted:

I'm in the market for a 2k high refresh rate monitor and found this at a local Microcenter.

I was curious if any goons had any experience with this monitor or Acer in general. I've never purchased Acer products but the display model looked pretty awesome.

I've never seen a 2k, 170Hz, HDR400 monitor at this price so I've figured it was one hell of a deal.

Looks fine at a glance. I bought an Acer XF270HUA last year that I've been really happy with, which is a generation or so older than the one you're looking at.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's fine but I'd also just get a Gigabyte M27Q which is a better monitor and is currently $330 on Amazon when it's in stock (it is frequently). The Innolux panel used by the XV272U and several other monitors are slower than their competition, they used to make up for it by being cheap (often $299) and by having better contrast than the LG and AOU panels. Whatever panel Gigabyte is using (maybe a newer Innolux panel?) has good contrast AND good performance and the price is right so I don't see a huge market for those monitors at this point, at least in the US. The only downside to the M27Q is the BGR subpixel ordering, which makes it less than ideal on a Mac that lacks support for it. On Windows there are per-monitor cleartype settings, although very old apps can only use one setting system wide.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 6, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Theoretical Cat posted:

I have one. It's ok. Occasional rare black outs. No idea why.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

IDK if I just have bad luck or what, but Amazon seems to have lost another one of my orders. :negative:

3 out of 4 monitors didn't arrive or were broken. This latest one wasn't a Warehouse deal.

Weird thing is that this time there was basically no tracking info besides shipped and delayed, with no locations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Trip report on the Dell S2721DGF I just got from the Best Buy sale: I'm really happy with it, and I used it for my first twitch class art stream.

There's a recording VOD of the stream here:
https://twitch.tv/videos/939785556

One of the things I didn't originally count on was how Dell's software for the monitor lets me divide up the display space in multi-app windows I can drag apps into. There's a collaborative online drawing app called 'Magma Studio' that I have been experimenting with for my online art class streams. Today I used it to create an onscreen 'live class drawing space' for people, with multiple instances of the app, so groups of 2-4 people could be drawing together. It was a huge blast and felt like I was an instructor in a live class walking around the room looking at student work.

It also performs marvelously in games and I enjoyed playing Deep Rock Galactic at 1440p. The ingame text is a lot easier to read is the biggest difference. Games like 'Prey' also look fantastic on it. I'll need to try gaming more with it, and hopefully can upgrade my gtx 1080 to a RT 3070 or 3080 sometime when the GPU market becomes sane again.

Also the accessible under-display I/O is great for artists like me. There's more places in the back to plug in peripherals if need be. Currently one of the accessible two front slots is occupied by my dongle for my wireless headset. The other one will be a huge help for utility and especially for plugging in thumb drives.

I'm gonna also look into getting a monitor riser for this beast so I can some better height adjustment options with how I put my cintiq in front of it for classes.

I still definitely need to get a fourth 24'' 1080p display that I can turn vertically. That one I would use in my current setup for off-camera stuff. But this will work for now. I just need to set up elgato streamdeck shortcuts for switching views and keep my twitch chat feed on my laptop.

But yeah, good display. Looking forward to buying more displays for other things I have in mind when I get more budget together too. Like that one LG 4k 144hz display that also has great color accuracy for artists. That's something I'd get for a 'new primary pc build' in like a year from now.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

How picky should I be when it comes to panel variation? I recently got an AOC 24G2, and while I know that it's a cheaper IPS unit and thus is going to not have the darkest blacks or anything, this is one of those things that sets off the nerdo part of my brain that always wants to min-max things.

I know the obvious response to this post is "well, what do you think is wrong or bad with it?" to which I would reply "well uh it's a big upgrade over the ancient monitor it replaced". So I don't actually have a specific complaint. I am just curious if there are any tests or tools I can use to see if the one I have sitting here is way off in terms of what this model "should" be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'll just say that I tried ever which way to convince myself to keep the LG 83A---I mean it was a cool piece of technology---but I'm glad I didn't because I just wasn't happy with it (like I said a hundred times now: bad contrast in dark scenes, with IPS glow exasperating the issue). It was beautiful most of the time, but I'd have trouble seeing when there was some shade. It wasn't a question of nitpicking.

Of course it could've been a particularly bad panel.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So now begins the hunt for a cheap 24 inch 1080 display that's not-poo poo and has a vertical portrait-mode stand.

If anyone knows one I could yoink that's on sale, I'm all ears. A used one would be fine too as I just need a display for additional multitasking screenspace.

60hz is fine. If there's one that's 144hz or whatever that's at a good price that's fine too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spacedad posted:

So now begins the hunt for a cheap 24 inch 1080 display that's not-poo poo and has a vertical portrait-mode stand.

If anyone knows one I could yoink that's on sale, I'm all ears. A used one would be fine too as I just need a display for additional multitasking screenspace.

60hz is fine. If there's one that's 144hz or whatever that's at a good price that's fine too.

The Dell S2421HS has their nice adjustable stand: https://smile.amazon.com/Dell-S2421HS-Ultra-Thin-Monitor-Silver/dp/B08HPGM9LC/ Also VESA mounts if you get arms or a multi monitor stand later. Just avoid the SE24 since it's fine but lacks the good stand.

The non-prime seller has it for $140. Dell's got it for the same price and says they could have it to me by Friday:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-24-monitor-s2421hs/apd/210-AXHH/monitors-monitor-accessories

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

My target for that fourth display is around 100-160 bux give or take. (Or less if there's like, someone offloading cheap used displays or something.)

If I want to shell out closer to 200 bux though, one like the 1900x1200 Asus ProArt display might be a good option, as it's a color-calibrated display with professionals in mind.

This puppy: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PA278QV...356&sr=8-2&th=1

I'm an animator who cares less about color, but it would be nice to have at least one display to check color temperatures on.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 7, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Spacedad posted:

If I want to shell out closer to 200 bux though, one like the 1900x1200 Asus ProArt display might be a good option, as it's a color-calibrated display with professionals in mind.

This puppy: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PA278QV...356&sr=8-2&th=1

I'm an animator who cares less about color, but it would be nice to have at least one display to check color temperatures on.
I've been looking at this exact monitor. In my case I just miss having a 16:10 display and it seems quite good for the price. Portrait mode would be great for reading comics, and I wasn't expecting any variable refresh rate at all so that's a welcome plus.

I'll probably pick one up this week and check back in after I spend some time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've been looking at this exact monitor. In my case I just miss having a 16:10 display and it seems quite good for the price. Portrait mode would be great for reading comics, and I wasn't expecting any variable refresh rate at all so that's a welcome plus.

I'll probably pick one up this week and check back in after I spend some time with it.

Well I just ordered it so I'll be able to tell you what it's like before you, lol.

Edit: I'm actually getting the 1440p 27 inch version instead! It was only 65 bux more on newegg. (Including shipping.) It was an open-box markdown.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-pa278qv-27-wqhd/p/N82E16824281062R?Description=PA278QV&cm_re=PA278QV-_-24-281-062R-_-Product&quicklink=true

Also scratch that on the 'I'll get to try it before you.' It's coming mid-march on shipping from newegg. But hey it'll be rad.

If the proart display proves real nice I might get a second. I can then put my old asus display into service for running my 5 year old i7 as a secondary utility low-spec gaming/art pc or maybe a home server.

Long-term wise when I get much more scratch for a budget though, I wanna a 24 to 32 inch drawing display cintiq.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 8, 2021