Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

David Attenbrough commissioned to show off colour television when he was controller of BBC2 (he also televised snooker because it was cheap and relied on colour) -

I was disappointed to learn that the trivia of Attenborough being responsible for tennis balls being yellow was more of a factoid - apparently he suggested it but it didn't get traction for some years and Wimbledon didn't adopt it til the 80s iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/uk-labour-party-recruitment-israeli-spy-legal-challenge

British Palestinian member of Labour party taking out legal challenge against party for recruitment of the Israeli social media monitoring guy.
(Phone posting so copy pasting is in the too hard box).

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was disappointed to learn that the trivia of Attenborough being responsible for tennis balls being yellow was more of a factoid - apparently he suggested it but it didn't get traction for some years and Wimbledon didn't adopt it til the 80s iirc

I think this is the first time I've seen someone use the word 'factoid' correctly, I can't smugly correct you!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SpicePro posted:

I think this is the first time I've seen someone use the word 'factoid' correctly, I can't smugly correct you!

:respek:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1368145838921416704?s=19

gently caress off David Lammy but yeah that's a racism, lol. " Are you English or 'different'?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think you can put Black Caribbean in ethnicity and English in "how would you describe your national identity" if you really want.

Unfortunately you're still more likely to be arrested and thrown in jail for the former than the latter, these days.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's genuinely dumb as a dual citizen, particularly so given my canadian side is VERY irish catholic - i'm white english, white irish, and white other i guess? and they never are checkbox, always radial.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
It's hardly worth mentioning but

299,184 NHS nurses in England * £33,384 average salary / 52 weeks = £192,076,128 / week on nursing salaries = 0.549 brexit busses

so in conclusion all nurses should have their salaries doubled.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I think you can put Black Caribbean in ethnicity and English in "how would you describe your national identity" if you really want.

Unfortunately you're still more likely to be arrested and thrown in jail for the former than the latter, these days.

It's more that "Full English" isn't an option, with a freetext to specify bean/tomato preference

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

it's genuinely dumb as a dual citizen, particularly so given my canadian side is VERY irish catholic - i'm white english, white irish, and white other i guess? and they never are checkbox, always radial.
The ethnicity/national identity dichotomy is always going to be confusing and bad, but especially in a multinational multi-nation seat of a collapsed empire. Do Anglo-Africans who immigrate to Britain revert to English or become British Anglo-African? Is Anglo-Australian its own ethnicity yet? Why is there multiple distinctions for South Asian, a far wavier line for East Asian, but African is a singular entity? Does it really matter if you just make some poo poo up and fight for your rights as a social group outside of the construct provided by the census? Are nations just made up to annoy forums poster CoolCab?

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's more that "Full English" isn't an option, with a freetext to specify bean/tomato preference
Up the backside (both).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CoolCab posted:

Clear white other IMO

Embrace the otherisation and face to census.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Clear white other

So white you become translucent, and you find it easier to get a bank loan

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can wander around affluent neighbourhoods without setting the cameras off and police can't see you to hit you repeatedly with crime stick.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rumda posted:

And you, a person whose knee jerk reaction to a know bad faith troll calling a transwoman aggressive was to join in on attacking the trans woman without going to check to see if the comments were even warranted, are once again going to bat for a transphobe

My comment to you about being needlessly aggressive had nothing to do with you being trans and made no reference to you being trans whatsoever.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Are nations just made up to annoy forums poster CoolCab?

it sometimes feels that way

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Update on mother: plod went round this morning and after taking a statement asked if she wanted to (a) do nothing (b) have them go caution the guy , or (c) go to court.
Anyway she picked the caution route. They'll also tell him that he must stay off her property.
Family opinion is divided on whether she should go talk to the neighbours who are the in-laws of the guy (he lives there too with his wife their daughter). Plod basically said it's up to her.
They'll soon know anyway once he's been interviewed and cautioned.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Update on mother: plod went round this morning and after taking a statement asked if she wanted to (a) do nothing (b) have them go caution the guy , or (c) go to court.
Anyway she picked the caution route. They'll also tell him that he must stay off her property.
Family opinion is divided on whether she should go talk to the neighbours who are the in-laws of the guy (he lives there too with his wife their daughter). Plod basically said it's up to her.
They'll soon know anyway once he's been interviewed and cautioned.

I mean if I was his wife I'd certainly want to know about my husband showing his genitals to an elderly woman.

Otoh I can understand this could be overly distressing for your Mum and there shall be fallout but that's totally on him for being an awful human, either way I hope she feels a bit safer now.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

fridge corn posted:

My comment to you about being needlessly aggressive had nothing to do with you being trans and made no reference to you being trans whatsoever.

Settle down now

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SpicePro posted:

I mean if I was his wife I'd certainly want to know about my husband showing his genitals to an elderly woman.

Otoh I can understand this could be overly distressing for your Mum and there shall be fallout but that's totally on him for being an awful human, either way I hope she feels a bit safer now.

One of the horrible elements of incidents like this is that the fallout affects people other than the perp, including the victim.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

fridge corn posted:

Right I never said you did you are just a lovely troll but by the time Jose weighed in it was part of it and it wasn't until multiple people pointed out how what I said wasn't remotely aggressive that he actually went back and read it and backed down.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thing is - my sister and I have seen her maybe 4 times in the last 10 days (she turns up unannounced) and there was NOTHING in her demeanour to suggest anything wrong but now tonight you can tell how upset she is.
The thing about trauma is that it doesn't often hit straight after the event.

My wife was told that trauma represents the brain trying to pass an event from short term memory to long term memory, only it can't because it's too complex or painful for the brain to process properly on its own. Almost like there's a bottleneck and the memory is too big, and so it bounces around your short term memory instead. So some counselling and therapy revolves around identifying the memories that arecstuck and helping break them down so that they can be processed correctly.

But the thing about short term memory is that if a memory gets stuck there, it means your body percieves it as still being a threat that is 'current.' And it's sometimes only after a few days of still feeling threatened / shaken and it not getting better that the panic response to trauma starts to kick in.

Plus it might have taken a day or so of sitting thinking about it that made this thought pinballing around her head start gaining momentum and making her look at living alone, him living close etc, and that just added weight to the whole problem.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The thing about trauma is that it doesn't often hit straight after the event.

My wife was told that trauma represents the brain trying to pass an event from short term memory to long term memory, only it can't because it's too complex or painful for the brain to process properly on its own. Almost like there's a bottleneck and the memory is too big, and so it bounces around your short term memory instead. So some counselling and therapy revolves around identifying the memories that arecstuck and helping break them down so that they can be processed correctly.

But the thing about short term memory is that if a memory gets stuck there, it means your body percieves it as still being a threat that is 'current.' And it's sometimes only after a few days of still feeling threatened / shaken and it not getting better that the panic response to trauma starts to kick in.

Plus it might have taken a day or so of sitting thinking about it that made this thought pinballing around her head start gaining momentum and making her look at living alone, him living close etc, and that just added weight to the whole problem.

Interesting! I don't know much about counseling/therapy.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

therattle posted:

One of the horrible elements of incidents like this is that the fallout affects people other than the perp, including the victim.

Yeah totally, sorry I didn't mean to downplay this it's a serious consideration and for all I know his wife might defend him as can and does happen.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ludo Friend posted:

Who denied the referral? It’s as easy as clicking two boxes on the Prism system by your GP.
I don't think you can ever describe transitioning on TERF island as easy. GenderGP might be irresponsible with follow-up care and making sure there aren't contraindications or hormone problems, but they're probably better than the alternative of meme guy shrugging and saying 'guess i'll die.'

My one concern would be that not every trans person is going to have the level of intelligence and self awareness that people in this thread do, and might not be able to do the research themselves to avoid harm.

But again, what's the alternative if your GP thinks he's the gender police and decides he's not going to refer you? Or even if he does, the alternative is waiting years just to go through a dehumanising process of telling a room of strangers how you masturbate so you can get the care you actually need.

E: Just so we're clear I'm calling the waiting process and having to prove you 'really mean it' dehumanising, not transitioning. It's sad that the flipped language meanings terfs rely on makes this kind of clarification necessary.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 6, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I hate fly tippers, they make me irrationally angry. Someone dumped a load of rubbish, including a bed, wardrobe, God knows how many needles and used nappies right in front of a rail access point.If there had been an emergency that pile would have stopped emergency services tending to people. Fly tippers should get 6 years in prison and 10 years on the sex offenders register.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bessantj posted:

I hate fly tippers, they make me irrationally angry. Someone dumped a load of rubbish, including a bed, wardrobe, God knows how many needles and used nappies right in front of a rail access point.If there had been an emergency that pile would have stopped emergency services tending to people. Fly tippers should get 6 years in prison and 10 years on the sex offenders register.

Fly tippers are like dogs who've been trained to poo poo on someone else's doormat, except dogs aren't to blame, and fly tippers are.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SpicePro posted:

Yeah totally, sorry I didn't mean to downplay this it's a serious consideration and for all I know his wife might defend him as can and does happen.

It’s fine, my comment wasn’t aimed at you and I wasn’t suggesting you’d downplayed it. It never crossed my mind. It was just the general point that it’s unfair that the repercussions are not limited to the offender.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

I didn't really have much exposure to people who weren't generically white Irish until my late teens and I still ended up relatively normal. Probably took a little too long to realise that the "ironic" racist posting style of the early 00s was just racism tho :smith:

i went on a "cross-community" school trip when i was ten or so. we were paired with a catholic school in tyrone and i was buddied up with three boys from there. we were in a hotel car park and there was a black man putting stuff in his car boot and they stood there staring at him with their mouths open lol :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also that ironic racism hasn't gone away, i still see people doing it

i think they're still making family guy for one thing and it was loving full of it

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

bessantj posted:

People treat railways and watercourses like a linear bin. For laughs we used to keep the inspection record of an over line bridge where someone had lodged a sofa between the girders. It must have been a real effort to throw the sofa onto the railway, climb on after it, carry it beneath the bridge and up the cutting slope to bearing level. Then raise the sofa overhead and wedge it between the beams. Without being noticed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to start a party that pledges to install

Endjinneer posted:

a linear bin
in every city that is constantly being collected and fed into an incinerator placed the opposite side of town to your back yard and win all the votes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
for years there has been someone regularly dumping whiskey and beer bottles by the roads around here

secret drinker imo

if i caught them i would just pummel them

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1368164668955590661?s=19
This is why the GICs need to be abolished, they do not exist to help us, sending more money their way will not help.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There’s a dog-poo-bag dropper on our street. We’ve put up posters but it’s continued. I think we’ve just identified the culprit though. I want to round up a posse.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ah but you see there is no such thing as society so you have no responsibility to keep public spaces tidy or safe

E: I was curious about the context of this quote of Thatcher's so I looked it up and she kind of meant the opposite - she was complaining about people thinking it was some nebulous abstract "society"s responsibility to care for their fellow people and maintain public spaces rather than the responsibility of every individual

Unfortunately she was extremely wrong in her belief that if people became personally successful and prosperous they would immediately start caring for their fellow humans thus removing the need for the state to do so

Extremely wrong

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 6, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Dog poo bag droppers must be insane. Leaving the poo poo out of laziness I understand, but what sort of psychosis makes you pick up the poo poo just to leave it somewhere else?

There is a woods near us where every tree has a bag of poo poo tied to it. If my dog shits in the woods and I don't have a bag to carry it back to a bin I'm just going to get a stick and flick it under a bush.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The whole thing is a low-key direct action against poo-bags by owners who are incensed they have to use them.

I'm only half joking, I imagine that's part of the twisted/karen-y mindset required.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
We had a trip out the other week at a local "beauty spot" which had a sign put up saying "take your dog waste away with you". You can probably already guess that there were dozens of bags around the sign that others had left. We will always bag up our dog's waste and usually tie it around a wing mirror to take back, though one time the wife left the bag behind her wheels then forgot and drove over it :master:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Every dog poo bin around here is a heaving, overflowing biohazard. In summer the smell and flies are awful. They really don't empty them enough, so I can see why people kinda go mad as a protest. Still you'd think they would hang them at least near the bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Private Speech posted:

The whole thing is a low-key direct action against poo-bags by owners who are incensed they have to use them.

I'm only half joking, I imagine that's part of the twisted/karen-y mindset required.

No that's definitely it. "Ah well you see I used the poo bag as required, however you can't expect me to carry it with me all day/the bins were full :smuggo:"