Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisouTenshi
Dec 15, 2020

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

that was some pretty amusing story choreographing near the end of the game though with her and lila and empel

[*] lila and empel visit her and she remembers a certain something which means that ryza and co. are in critical danger
[*] i go back and visit starchild after seeing said cutscene and... she's gone! until the end of the game!

I noticed that, too. When I went to visit Starchild to find that she wasn't there, I went, "How convenient."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just started Atelier Escha & Logy and just finished the first major assignment, as well as the minor ones on the board - had about 20 days left. The game gave me the option to do my final report early, but I wasn't sure if it would just waste those days, or just give me extra time on the new batch.

If I get the next set done early, is there any benefit to doing the final report, or should I use the time to grind out recipes and requests and the like?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just started Atelier Escha & Logy and just finished the first major assignment, as well as the minor ones on the board - had about 20 days left. The game gave me the option to do my final report early, but I wasn't sure if it would just waste those days, or just give me extra time on the new batch.

If I get the next set done early, is there any benefit to doing the final report, or should I use the time to grind out recipes and requests and the like?

If I recall correctly, on a first playthrough there's no benefit to submitting a report early. If anything it's harmful as it skips to the end of the month and you lose those free days.

It seems a pointless feature until you're in new game plus and already have access to all the recipes and material's from your previous run. Let's you advance to the endgame faster.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks, that’s kinda what I hoped. I rushed a lot in Ayesha because I couldn’t gauge my progress based on the three year window. 4 month chunks should be a lot nicer, especially if I can use free time like that when I complete the main objective.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

They probably started work on it the day after the ryza 2 DLC went gold. I think this is just interview speak for "stop asking us about games we haven't even announced yet"

Production wise it probably started before Ryza 2 even released. You are going to have people start drawing concept art/ character models etc since those are closer at the start of the development pipeline than the actual programming and playtesting. Atelier has been yearly series now for a long while.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Thanks, that’s kinda what I hoped. I rushed a lot in Ayesha because I couldn’t gauge my progress based on the three year window. 4 month chunks should be a lot nicer, especially if I can use free time like that when I complete the main objective.

you are going to have a lot of free time by the end of the game

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ryza 2's cast was aggressively devoid of personality, it was kind of annoying

tao is bookish nerd, lent is aloof dude who goes from glump to yea i'm a heroic dude back and forth, patty is the b-plot for a disney princess, serri could use a cup of coffee

i actually like clifford of the new crew, but that's mostly because the dude had energy and actually felt like he had a quantified purpose to the adventuring group that otherwise only ryza and tao had

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

i actually like clifford of the new crew, but that's mostly because the dude had energy and actually felt like he had a quantified purpose to the adventuring group that otherwise only ryza and tao had

Clifford also has the best theme song.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually felt like the exact opposite, like Clifford was the least integrated character. I was constantly double taking when he had lines in group scenes because he was so irrelevant

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Clifford felt super out of place to me, like a random weirdo who invited himself to hang out with no connection to anyone or anything else.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Waci posted:

Clifford felt super out of place to me, like a random weirdo who invited himself to hang out with no connection to anyone or anything else.

To be honest, that feels like about 1/3 the supporting cast in nearly every Atelier game.

REMEMBER MUPPY?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Feel like pure shite, just want him back

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

akkristor posted:

To be honest, that feels like about 1/3 the supporting cast in nearly every Atelier game.

REMEMBER MUPPY?

I don't think anyone used Muppy in their team

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

akkristor posted:

REMEMBER MUPPY?

.... I legitimately did not.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If you submit the final report early, in your first run you can carry over 14 days, so you start your next assignment with 134 days instead of 120. It’s somewhat helpful nearer to the endgame if you want to fit in some extra crafting/grinding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up falling off my first playthrough of Escha & Logy almost exactly a year ago even though I was having fun with it, and now I'm trying to decide if I want to pick up my playthrough in year 3 and try to remember what was going on and how to do things or just start over :v:

I was planning on playing through again as Logy once I finished my Escha playthrough if nothing else

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't think anyone used Muppy in their team

Muppy was the alien thing from Mana Khemia, right? It’s been like eight years but he had some useful property or other so I think I did...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I thought Muppy was funny.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

if it's year 3 of eschatology you still have yet to finish the airship, right

there will be a shitload of downtime after the end of the actual plot

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just got Ryza 1 and just built a new hideout and am now trying to impress the merchant

Am I close to unlocking new areas or am I stuck with the starter areas for a long time :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

if it's year 3 of eschatology you still have yet to finish the airship, right

there will be a shitload of downtime after the end of the actual plot

Yeah I haven't finished the airship quite yet

I'll probably just power through because I do remember pretty much what was going on, I just need to remember how crafting works.

Out of curiosity, how much is different depending on which character you play as? My first playthrough is Escha's side and I'm gonna do NG+ for Logy once I finish this run.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Yeah I haven't finished the airship quite yet

I'll probably just power through because I do remember pretty much what was going on, I just need to remember how crafting works.

Out of curiosity, how much is different depending on which character you play as? My first playthrough is Escha's side and I'm gonna do NG+ for Logy once I finish this run.

I think every time you get a scene where Escha is present but Logy isn't, there's a corresponding scene with only Logy. So it's mostly some character stuff, not any major plotlines.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool, I figured it'd be pretty minor differences.

No idea why I didn't finish this playthrough a year ago, I like this game a lot :v:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Deki posted:

I just got Ryza 1 and just built a new hideout and am now trying to impress the merchant

Am I close to unlocking new areas or am I stuck with the starter areas for a long time :(

I'm trying to remember that far back, but you should be unlocking the main roads inland pretty soon. And from there a bunch more zones will branch off.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
From what I've heard (not having played Logy side myself), the biggest thing is that Logy puts on his good-boy face with Escha and is a lot ruder when he's solo.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

the logy exclusive scenes i remember most is micie getting a bit too up and personal in his face about his relocation to colseit before logy tells him to gently caress off, and micie going to him (fruitlessly) for advice on wooing katla, and also logy walking in on grumman sr. trying (again fruitlessly) to have a father-son date with solle after work

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 12, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
How much different is Ryza 2 from 1 gameplay-wise?

I'm enjoying the gameplay and crafting in my current playthrough of Ryza 1, but the story is just kind of alright and I'm attached to very few of the characters. I 'm trying to decide if I want to buy the sequel after I beat the first one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The gameplay is pretty much more of the same, but improved. At the very least there are a good number of battle system changes that spruce things up, and the alchemy system got its requisite tweaks.

They added another gameplay loop while doing the dungeon content. You'll be spending a decent amount of time scouring the dungeons for clues, and then filling in madlibs style stories with the clues you find to unlock progress.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I read the OP and I'm still not sure where to start, some of the sequels and stuff have tight time limits, and I probably wont' be trying to 100% stuff outside of whatever my favorite people are, but Time limits tend to ruin games for me and I like them less, unless they're really generous like the ones in Persona 5 or Three Houses where you get enough time to do everything and then some, and if you miss content you can make up for it later. I was thinking about starting with Atelier Lydie and Suelle for my first entry to the series, but how much am I missing out on, playing the last game in a trilogy?

I also thought Rorona sounded cool, but having a tight frame to 100% it is somewhat concerning, especially when I don't know what content I'd want to chase after in game until it feels like it might be too late. Would you recommend one between the two? Or would there be a better entry point in the series?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I started with Ryza 1, and then moved to Ayesha.

Ayesha has a time limit and little direction as far to how your time management's going, but it turns out it's quite generous if you're not going for 100%. Still felt the stress of it hanging over my head though, and I couldn't gauge my progress. Maxing out my few favourites first time through was easy enough though and it's a game I can easily recommend.

From there, Escha & Logy has a very nice time limit, and each of your objectives has a solid deadline. It's also very generous and I've had trouble actually using up my time during certain sections. And then in the last year you can go back and return to optional tasks you missed. I'm not quite finished this one and I'm generally anti time limit, but it's been very comfortable.

Unfortunately I can't really comment on the others as I haven't gotten to them yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're at all nervous about a time limit, start with Lydie and Suelle imo. It's not even like you're playing a worse game in exchange. You're playing one of the best. And Mysterious is also probably the trilogy with the least connection between games. You really aren't missing much by skipping to the third one in that series.

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

As far as time limits go Totori is more Ayesha than Ayesha, Rorona is very Escha to Logy, Meruru is a good balance, Firis is pretty Ayeshtori and iirc the rest are boring and lack time limits.

I really miss time limits, Totori and especially Ayesha used them so well within their narratives. No amount of textboxes could possibly convey the general dread over the passage of time as well. Like yeah I get that time limits are the bane of completionism but they can add so much narrative tension that I'm really peeved at their passage into obsoletion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a frame of reference, I'd say that Rorona's time limit is pretty similar to say, Persona 3. Completely trivial to just complete the game, and you'll probably max out multiple characters without really trying, but you either need a guide or a deep understanding of the game mechanics to 100% it. Escha and Logy is about the same. Totori, Meruru, and Ayesha all have plausible failure states (though how plausible varies from game to game) in a way that I can't really think of a good metaphor for in other video games.

Personally, I love the time limits too. In addition to setting the mood, I just find it to be a fun gameplay element, deciding how to spend each day.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rotoru posted:

I really miss time limits, Totori and especially Ayesha used them so well within their narratives. No amount of textboxes could possibly convey the general dread over the passage of time as well. Like yeah I get that time limits are the bane of completionism but they can add so much narrative tension that I'm really peeved at their passage into obsoletion.

As uncomfortable as the time limit made me, I agree, but I'm fine with having an uncomfortable mechanic if it helps the experience. Having some dramatic event happen and then spending a month and a half farming and crafting breaks the narrative flow a bit. Lots of decision making involved in preparing too. There's the risk of overpreparing if you play too lax against the clock, or vice versa.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have only played the first three Arland games but in practice I found Rorona very easy to manage once I understood the actual gameplay loop (which being my very first Atelier took a while), Totori was way more onerous and overall stressful, and Meruru felt overall the best balanced because you have very few actual deadlines so you're just encouraged to continuously work towards building up the kingdom and so long as you don't take extreme detours it was easy to just relax and play the game.

Getting any one particular ending on the other hand is kind of a pain, and I do wish the games were a bit better and more clear about how to achieve them or even better just write the endgames to be a bit more organic and in service of a larger narrative rather than the seemingly Calvinball approach the Arland games seem to take. Whether it's being consistent about taking characters out in your party or missing key scenes because you're not doing some sort of hidden check by visiting certain areas (sometimes with specific party members) it always felt like to me that the only viable path was just pick one character you like and just invest all your energy into them, which had the unfortunate side effect in many of my playthroughs of making a lot of the cast feel undercooked.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Even in terms of going for 100%/platinum trophy, though this is from a NG+ file, Rorona was still pretty chill. Totori on the other hand, I kept falling behind on - even casually I found it had the tightest time limit of any Atelier game with one that I've played.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I started with Sophie and found that a pretty gentle introduction, that still made me want to delve into the more structured entries into the series, although for that you'd probably want to wait for the upcoming Switch ports. But seconding that you're not losing much by starting with L&S; I skipped Firis (middle of that trilogy) and didn't feel like I missed much plotwise. There is a character in L&S that spoils some of the plot in Sophie, but...I don't feel like this is the kind of series where spoilers will actually ruin the experience. You could just as easily go back to Sophie and think of it as a prequel explaining how they met.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/TAKE52694170/status/1356606783662428161

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
It took me more than a few tries, but I've finally clicked with an Atelier title - and it was Ayesha that did it

What an absolute gem of a title. Incredible music, great characters, and a very addicting game loop that reminds me of a life sim more than a JRPG. It's wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Escha and Logy is even better, imo.