Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I could never get far in wolf3d. Played Doom first and it just seemed too basic / samey / mazey.

What I did immensely enjoy was the wolf3d black book. Incredibly detailed. It’s somehow even more impressive when you learn how incredibly ill suited for 3D games PCs were, and particularly VGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carpator Diei posted:

In fact, it might be kind of interesting to attempt a mod that collects the best 30 or so levels out of those 123 and strings them together into a three-episode format.

Not quite this, but more or less this was Mac Wolfenstein, plus higher res sprites and textures, a flamethrower, and a rocket launcher. I think it had all of the bosses from all 6 eps of Wolf 3d and Spear of Destiny, but only 1/3 the levels or something. There was also a fairly healthy mod community for the game making levels and total conversions for it, including several that were sold. I remember one author in particular who had interesting conversions of Doom and Marathon for the Wolf 3d engine, which was awesome for those of us who only had 68030 machines.

Still love the PC version. The Spear of Destiny mission packs are kind of trash though, are those even remotely "official"?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I played a lot of the Wolf3D shareware growing up since I couldn't run Doom, and while I don't think I've ever loved actually playing it, I absolutely adore the way it sounds. Those thick and bright computer speaker beeps and boops make me nostalgic for the EGA shareware days. Before Doom and Quake I knew iD as the people who made all those puzzle and platforming games with the chonky FX, and despite not hearing a sound blaster until years later I think Wolfenstein 3D's hardware audio is the most lovely sound they ever achieved and one of the best sounding games ever made imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qAwRwgEwfk&t=10s

treat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 6, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love how it sounds too. Those gunshot sounds are satisfying.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

We played Wolfenstein 3D with a Disney Sound Source. Didn't hear the music until much later.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I originally played Doom for a while without a sound card. Sound cards were basically optional at the time and my PC didn't come with one.

It's weird to think just how hosed up my Doom experience was compared to some people. No sound, keyboard only, used the arrow keys, didn't see the point in strafing...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m sure your early Doom experience was more common than you think. My first experience was with the SNES port.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i also played doom for the first time with keyboard only and no strafing... in 2005 :unsmigghh:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mine was on an AMD 386/40 clone. It was mostly playable if you reduced the screen size a bit and used low res mode. Sound Blaster Pro for audio. I don't remember being disappointed by it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i definitely played with sound because what actually scared me about doom as a kid wasn't the combat it was being able to hear the gurgle sound when an enemy is nearby...waiting out there somewhere ready to kill me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

site posted:

i definitely played with sound because what actually scared me about doom as a kid wasn't the combat it was being able to hear the gurgle sound when an enemy is nearby...waiting out there somewhere ready to kill me

That still kinda gets me. I always get surprised by at least one enemy I missed in the tech base maze part of Nuclear Plant.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I'd only ever seen Doom running on a pokey 386 and a briefly commandered middle school 68K Mac until we got our first PC in late 1995, a Pentium 90 with 8 MB RAM and a Sound Blaster Pro-compatible ESS sound card. I remember firing up Doom II for the first time, happy that the audio was working... and then the screen dissolved more smoothly than I thought possible and the demo rolled by at north of 30 frames per second. I think I screamed. And for all the time I've spent with GZDoom since, sometimes I just wanna play awkward 35Hz framerate 320x200 Doom, even now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wolf bored the hell out of me but I liked Project Warlock quite a bit

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The only time i played Wolf3D was some shareware demo version where all the walls were naked lady textures

this was dads doing not mine btw i was like 6-7

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 6, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pro Super Noah’s Ark 3D when, Civvie?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Weedle posted:

i also played doom for the first time with keyboard only and no strafing... in 2005 :unsmigghh:

Same but half-life and a bit earlier.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Why are we all talking about Wolfenstein I don't see any video there... oh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-tNx4-p2qM

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Not quite this, but more or less this was Mac Wolfenstein, plus higher res sprites and textures, a flamethrower, and a rocket launcher.

Carpator Diei posted:

It only had 6 bosses (Hans Grosse, Trans Grosse, Übermutant, Dr. Schabbs, Death Knight, and Hitler without his mech-suit, if I recall correctly); and I believe it used the modified levels from the SNES port.
The SNES version only had 20 something levels I think, the 3DO/Mac (and Jaguar?) ports definitely had more, and the new graphics are nice

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

He reuploaded it since there was an error in the original.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • Heartland is a new episode by the creator of Ancient Aliens for the Eternity Engine.
  • Aleph One has been updated to support framerates higher than 30.
  • The US SEC has given the go-ahead for Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax Media (and as such, Id Software). A decision by the European Commission is expected to come very soon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet, maybe I’ll try Marathon again now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Kins posted:

• Heartland is a new episode by the creator of Ancient Aliens for the Eternity Engine.

skillsaw maps, stewboy midis and xaser weapons is a sick combo. I've never used the eternity engine though, what kind of stuff does it do differently?

e: well it crashes when I try and load the wad so I hate it

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 6, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Tested out 60fps on Marathon for a bit, pretty cool since it still loads my saves! Feels a little weird, but I think that's just because I'm used to Marathon feeling a certain way. That said, Neither High Nor Low, you loving trolls, Bungie, I was hurting going up that tower begging for health and a save point, and I got neither. I was so close, and had the tiniest sliver of health that I somehow managed to stretch far beyond the bounds of reason. Shoulda swallowed my pride and turned back to a known health station.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Not quite this, but more or less this was Mac Wolfenstein, plus higher res sprites and textures, a flamethrower, and a rocket launcher. I think it had all of the bosses from all 6 eps of Wolf 3d and Spear of Destiny, but only 1/3 the levels or something.
It only had 6 bosses (Hans Grosse, Trans Grosse, Übermutant, Dr. Schabbs, Death Knight, and Hitler without his mech-suit, if I recall correctly); and I believe it used the modified levels from the SNES port.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How hard is to get that Mac version running on Windows? The extra weapons may be enough to give it a try (I don't like Wolf3d tbh).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Kins posted:

• Aleph One has been updated to support framerates higher than 30.
  • The US SEC has given the go-ahead for Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax Media (and as such, Id Software). A decision by the European Commission is expected to come very soon.

Holy hell, I thought the Aleph One guys were opposed to high framerates?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Saying that the Mac Wolf 3D has “enhanced graphics” needs a giant asterisk since they didn’t bother doing any sprite rotations on that version.

Guillermus posted:

How hard is to get that Mac version running on Windows? The extra weapons may be enough to give it a try (I don't like Wolf3d tbh).

ECWolf has alpha quality support you can enable. I think your only other option is to get a Mac 68K emulator working.

Edit: looks like the Mac version doesn’t tint the screen when you take damage either, which would make it much harder:

https://youtu.be/yhjQcA1TehI

david_a fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 6, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

skillsaw maps, stewboy midis and xaser weapons is a sick combo. I've never used the eternity engine though, what kind of stuff does it do differently?

e: well it crashes when I try and load the wad so I hate it

What build are you using? I used this
https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/releases/download/4.02.00/ee-4.02.00-win64.zip

and it worked fine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I eventually figured it out, the wad itself doesn't seem to play nice with doom launcher right now so I had to go back to zdl. Other wads load up just fine so I actually unfairly maligned the source port, which having used it for a bit seems pretty cool. The stuff skillsaw is doing with it in these levels is sick as hell, this is like practically a build engine mapset.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Holy hell, I thought the Aleph One guys were opposed to high framerates?

They were but someone produced a proof of concept for frame interpolation and I guess that + furlough during the pandemic led to it. Weapon hotkeys are also coming up for 1.4 as well.

Treellama is the most active developer and his opinion iirc is that he’d prefer Aleph One to be as close to vanilla as possible... but he’s also aware that Marathon doesn’t have a large enough user base to produce multiple source ports so I think he gave up on that dream.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 6, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sounds like progress on The Force Engine (unofficial Dark Forces sourceport, or whatever) is going pretty well.

https://theforceengine.github.io/2021/03/02/InfSystem.html

The next build, hopefully out by the end of March, should have INF functionality completed, which is a big deal. That's what controls elevators, switches, boss fight conditions, mission objectives, etc. It sounds like it will also have proper player movement and other stuff.

Still unclear on whether there will actually be any enemy AI in this one.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

I eventually figured it out, the wad itself doesn't seem to play nice with doom launcher right now so I had to go back to zdl. Other wads load up just fine so I actually unfairly maligned the source port, which having used it for a bit seems pretty cool. The stuff skillsaw is doing with it in these levels is sick as hell, this is like practically a build engine mapset.

if you change .pke to .pk3 it works with the launcher

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

Treellama is the most active developer and his opinion iirc is that he’d prefer Aleph One to be as close to vanilla as possible... but he’s also aware that Marathon doesn’t have a large enough user base to produce multiple source ports so I think he gave up on that dream.

As someone whose been playing Marathon since it was contemporary and has been following Aleph One since the first release - loving finally

That grognard poo poo is why A1 is literal decades behind GZDoom and is itself part of why the current user base is so small, like I came to the realization years ago that if I wanted to make a modern Marathon campaign my first step would be getting terminals working in GZDoom

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Squeezy Farm posted:

if you change .pke to .pk3 it works with the launcher

awesome thanks, I didn't even realize it wasn't a .pk3

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Got recommended this video and forgot Core Decay was a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwkDATs5NKo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Sounds like progress on The Force Engine (unofficial Dark Forces sourceport, or whatever) is going pretty well.

https://theforceengine.github.io/2021/03/02/InfSystem.html

The next build, hopefully out by the end of March, should have INF functionality completed, which is a big deal. That's what controls elevators, switches, boss fight conditions, mission objectives, etc. It sounds like it will also have proper player movement and other stuff.

Still unclear on whether there will actually be any enemy AI in this one.

Oh man I am super excited about this. DF is such a great game and whilst the mouselook support recently hacked into DosBox is amazing, a proper source port with high resolution widescreen etc (and hopefully unlocked FPS support) would be amazing :)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

To think there will be a day where someone asks “Is There A Dark Forces Source Port Yet? and the answer will be “actually, yes!”

Also, this trailer popped up during the New Game Plus Expo livestream a couple days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS-nGA84urE
(although its not a new game since you have been able to wishlist it on Steam for a while)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 6, 2021

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

As someone whose been playing Marathon since it was contemporary and has been following Aleph One since the first release - loving finally

That grognard poo poo is why A1 is literal decades behind GZDoom and is itself part of why the current user base is so small, like I came to the realization years ago that if I wanted to make a modern Marathon campaign my first step would be getting terminals working in GZDoom

My understanding from like everyone who's looked at the code is that it's a loving hell nightmare to work with and that's probably why A1 is literal decades behind GZDoom -- the weapon hotkeys are I think some kind of horrible kludge of buffering key inputs or something terrible. But the grognard poo poo doesn't help.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Also, this trailer popped up during the New Game Plus Expo livestream a couple days ago.
(although its not a new game since you have been able to wishlist it on Steam for a while)
There was a demo of this during one of the demo festivals last year. I won't lie, based on the art style I wasn't exactly expecting much. I was actually pleasantly surprised, to be honest...

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

To think there will be a day where someone asks “Is There A Dark Forces Source Port Yet? and the answer will be “actually, yes!”

Gives me Gun Godz vibes in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

My understanding from like everyone who's looked at the code is that it's a loving hell nightmare to work with and that's probably why A1 is literal decades behind GZDoom -- the weapon hotkeys are I think some kind of horrible kludge of buffering key inputs or something terrible. But the grognard poo poo doesn't help.

I might still be salty about a twenty year old "this source port should have modern mouse aim" vs "but that wouldn't be authentic to the original experience!" community divide :cheeky: