Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Let they who have not typed out
code:
—
on the forums cast the first stone.

Primo DE content. Release the Final Cut already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

wiegieman posted:

Just hit the dash key twice, you weirdos
Just type one - and let language march on past multiple way-too-similar punctuation marks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Or, hear me out here, don't use it. Just don't.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Just type one - and let language march on past multiple way-too-similar punctuation marks.

I concur - almost all of my posts have at least one. I whole-heartedly support this motion! :colbert:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Haifisch posted:

The final blow of the Punctuation Wars will be two mushroom clouds, one right after the other.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Doesnt ctrl numpad-minus generally do it
It doesnt.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Fired it up and attempted to re-try my "real cop" run on a whim.

If you're curious how that went, he accomplished nothing of note, attempted to arrest everybody, became a racist twice, got his rear end kicked by Measurehead twice, and then died of a heart attack brought on by cognitive dissonance shortly after meeting a successful, powerful woman.

I think I'll just call it there.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Final Cut will now come out any day after today as per its stated release date of being March 2021, after today :tipshat:

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Final Cut will now come out any day after today as per its stated release date of being March 2021, after today :tipshat:

Stop edging us goddammnit!!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If they haven't put out a date yet that's not a great sign for us getting it in March, but who knows?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Still no exact date?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

coolusername posted:

Still no exact date?

I've not heard anything to the alternative, alas.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So today I learned that there's an official Disco Elysium discord, and also that there's still no release date for the final version.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

As long as it still falls in the realm of March 2021 I will be very happy.

And also hearing Half Light and maybe Authority freak the gently caress out about EVERYTHING

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Soysaucebeast posted:

So today I learned that there's an official Disco Elysium discord, and also that there's still no release date for the final version.

Thank you for this!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

As long as it still falls in the realm of March 2021 I will be very happy.

And also hearing Half Light and maybe Authority freak the gently caress out about EVERYTHING

Half light is the fight or flight response. Freaking out is its job.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Thank you for this!

No worries, I was scrolling through Reddit to see if they had anything and saw that. Figured I would let y'all know.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Half light is the fight or flight response. Freaking out is its job.

I wonder why it is called Half Light and Flight/Fight?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Half Light

Fear! Aggression! Half Light is your fight or flight response. This one’s definitely the chattiest of the bunch. Not only does he mix well with a high Physical Instrument, telling you to smash everyone in the face before they strangle you in your sleep, Half Light also has some pretty keen observations.

There is a saying in Estonian: fear has big eyes. So Half Light and its big bulging fear-filled eyes may notice things the other skills miss. Half Light does not only get scared of people, it also gets scared of ideas and concepts. Sometimes a person’s name can fill you with terror. Why? Perhaps they’re more than they seem to be.

Perhaps you’re paranoid?

One of the nicest things to do with Half Light is aggressively interrogate suspects. Barraging them with nonsensical, frightening questions: did you kill him? Why did you kill him? Are you going to kill me like you killed him?!

A low Half Light, strangely enough, makes you both less aggressive and less afraid. In a way braver.

The name most likely comes from the saying + trying to see things hiding in low visibility.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 3, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Final Cut release date is still SOONTM.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Leveling my Half Light skill one point per day the final cut is not out even long after it is telling me to start shouting for no reason

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

A post on the discord mentioned there is an option to turn off the Final Cut voice acting for those who don't want it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Claes Oldenburger posted:

A post on the discord mentioned there is an option to turn off the Final Cut voice acting for those who don't want it.

That's a relief (not that I wish to imply that I feel the v.a. will be sub-par, but I'm glad there's a choice).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's actually going to be fully voice acted right? Because that's insane.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Randarkman posted:

It's actually going to be fully voice acted right? Because that's insane.

I think the only things that won't be will be like item descriptions and whatnot. Every bit of text that's meant to be a person/a mental state speaking will be voice acted. It is a monumental undertaking.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I just wonder how stuff like this will be narrated or voice acted, when there is dialogue for a character who then does something else that isn't dialogue, sometimes even more than once:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EorayMel posted:

I just wonder how stuff like this will be narrated or voice acted, when there is dialogue for a character who then does something else that isn't dialogue, sometimes even more than once:

Lenval Brown will also do all the voice involving narration, so I'm guessing it would switch between the character and him, like in certain audiobooks.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you've played Divinity Original Sin 2, I imagine it will be very similar to that. Just with a much, much larger script.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Samovar posted:

I wonder why it is called Half Light and Flight/Fight?

It's meant to evoke the feeling of something seen but not seen well enough to form a cogent impression of it, which creates fear and uncertainty. It's evoking the animal response of jumping at shapes in the dusk or twilight and your mind assigning those shadows far more sinister form than they actually might possess. Your mind interpreting the shadow of a rabbit into that of a bear for example. Dying light casts long shadows.
You could also see it as the light of your consciousness being subsumed by the darkness of your subconscious, the animalistic dimming the rational mind.

I think it's some very good word choice that conjures up a more physical image than a drier word like "paranoia" would have.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Half Light is the only skill that’s smiling and I think that’s significant

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Pattonesque posted:

Half Light is the only skill that’s smiling and I think that’s significant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's meant to evoke the feeling of something seen but not seen well enough to form a cogent impression of it, which creates fear and uncertainty. It's evoking the animal response of jumping at shapes in the dusk or twilight and your mind assigning those shadows far more sinister form than they actually might possess. Your mind interpreting the shadow of a rabbit into that of a bear for example. Dying light casts long shadows.
You could also see it as the light of your consciousness being subsumed by the darkness of your subconscious, the animalistic dimming the rational mind.

I think it's some very good word choice that conjures up a more physical image than a drier word like "paranoia" would have.

Huh, that makes sense. Stupid poor score in conceptualization!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I want a mod where you gain a single point in half light every time you take damage.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Half Light is the most coherent and correct character in the game, I will not be taking questions on this matter

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Breetai posted:

I want a mod where you gain a single point in half light every time you take damage.

that's a neat idea. it sounds like it would be the result of a completed thought cabinet thought, tbh. probably about feeling overwhelmed by all the horrible knowledge you're gaining about the world and yourself, and caused by you learning one too many bad things? or from needing to save yourself from dying via healing at 0 health or morale more than a couple times? named like, "back against the wall" or "under the gun" or something? idk, but its fun to think about.

edit: "fear of the dark" because it's half-light flailing and trying to point its light at every errant shadow, now that it's been kicked into overdrive from the animal panic of close calls. do not go gentle into that good night, and all that.

Turpitude II fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 7, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Speaking of, there should be a mechanic where if you have an absurd pain threshold value like 12 or 14 or higher [Godly/impossible check levels] you basically get a second chance if your endurance/volition drops to 0 and you don't heal in time, acting as a 1up. But only once.

This may or may not synergize with the fact you can have a heart attack if you take off a raincoat when you have only one block of health left, automatically dropping to 0 health and dying immediately :v:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In the original write-ups, Pain Threshold was meant to help you with heart attacks and Esprit De Corps was meant to help you with morale failures.

And Half-light is from a translation of an Estonian saying/figure of speech IIRC? Wait, checked https://discoelysium.com/devblog/2018/04/11/meet-the-skills-physique ' There is a saying in Estonian: fear has big eyes. So Half Light and its big bulging fear-filled eyes may notice things the other skills miss.' So, not quite.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tylana posted:

In the original write-ups, Pain Threshold was meant to help you with heart attacks and Esprit De Corps was meant to help you with morale failures.

And Half-light is from a translation of an Estonian saying/figure of speech IIRC? Wait, checked https://discoelysium.com/devblog/2018/04/11/meet-the-skills-physique ' There is a saying in Estonian: fear has big eyes. So Half Light and its big bulging fear-filled eyes may notice things the other skills miss.' So, not quite.

It's a fairly common hyphenated word, you can find it being used in books somewhat often, usually to refer to the light during dusk.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I was organizing some tunes and Spotify shuffled me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrpPiJhoWvE

if you haven't checked it out the game is chock-full of British Sea Power song catalogue references ("Cleaning Out The Rooms" being the best one imho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Well apparently we're going to get a drop date for the Final Cut sometime this week. A bunch of people in the discord were thinking it will come out either late this week or early next week based on some really wild thought processes. The dev posted a picture that was just pink, so obviously that's a reference to Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd's [album name I cant remember] came out on March 24th [some amount of] years ago! So obviously it's a secret message that DE is going to drop on March 24th!

It's all conspiracy bullshit to me, but I mean we only have 16 more days in the month and the devs are still insisting that it's coming out in March. So maybe the 24th?