Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Last Chance posted:

Yeah this is much more plausible than Apple "burning their ships" or w/e

It's almost certainly Apple staging code in case a court battle (Oracle v. Google maybe?) goes against them and/or the settlement talks that are almost certainly happening between general counsels go south.

QA and release cycles aren't something that you rush through. They'd rather have the switch for something as major as "turn off an entire system framework" in place and tested before it's needed, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I noticed time machine deciding that 5GB needed to be backed up out of nowhere, and tracked down why. Apparently simply watching some of my underwater gopro footage in VLC was enough to flag those movies for backup. Anyone know how I can stop this?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone give me some upgrade advice? I've got a 2016 MPB/16GB ram running High Sierra but finally need to bite the bullet and upgrade the OS. I mainly run Adobe and Office. Should I go for Big Sur or just the minimum (Mojave)?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Unless you’re running some specific old version of your software just use the latest.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Luceo posted:

I noticed time machine deciding that 5GB needed to be backed up out of nowhere, and tracked down why. Apparently simply watching some of my underwater gopro footage in VLC was enough to flag those movies for backup. Anyone know how I can stop this?
Sounds like an issue with VLC touching the file and changing the modified date most likely. The only thing I can think of is use a different program to play back or exclude the directory with the video files.

Or just don't worry about it and let Time Machine age out older backups as necessary.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Going past Mojave means you lose 32-bit app support, so triple check all the apps you rely on are 64-bit if you're going to make that jump. Something to look out for with some older software versions is while the app itself might report itself as 64-bit, the installers are sometimes 32-bit (which means if you have it installed when you upgrade, you're fine, but if you ever need to re-install you might be in trouble) or sometimes some of its dependencies are 32-bit (meaning parts of the app might not work right after Mojave). If you just use the latest version of all your software, you're most likely fine.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Evis posted:

Unless you’re running some specific old version of your software just use the latest.

Cool, thanks. I searched around and it does seem like it should work reasonably well for most people.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Sounds like an issue with VLC touching the file and changing the modified date most likely. The only thing I can think of is use a different program to play back or exclude the directory with the video files.

Or just don't worry about it and let Time Machine age out older backups as necessary.

Yes, I gathered that VLC was somehow touching the file. I've combed the settings and can't see anything that'd do it, like if it was somehow keeping metadata about last playback location attached to the file or something. I want my dive videos backed up, so excluding them is out, and the reason I've been scrutinizing this is that TM's been quite slow since upgrading to Big Sur.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Could be it tripped a "last opened" flag. I'm pretty sure video players don't modify files.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Yeah, TM's being dumb; seems like it suddenly wants to back up everything that's been accessed since the last backup. I caught it re-backing up a PDF I opened long enough to look up a paragraph in, and certainly did not change.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I was going to download something from the app store but realized I don't even know my username or password. I've only used brew. That kind of sucks, does anybody here use swift? I was thinking about rolling my own simple programs, mainly I just want to make a Tabata timer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You could always go to appleid.apple.com and create a new account if you have an email address handy, or change the password on your existing by using iforgot.Apple.com..

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cheese Thief posted:

I was going to download something from the app store but realized I don't even know my username or password. I've only used brew. That kind of sucks, does anybody here use swift? I was thinking about rolling my own simple programs, mainly I just want to make a Tabata timer.
There's an Apple dev thread if you're looking for Swift advice

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So yeah I got my first Macbook Pro (M1) and I've never used OS X before. Fun times adjusting from Windows and Linux, at least the terminal is familiar.

I installed Alfred 4 which is pretty cool and Bartender since my menu bar was already getting clogged after one day. Looking for alternatives for the following if anyone can make recommendations:

- compression/archival software, I see 7zip does not exist for Mac OS
- Changing full screen maximize to just maximize, this is a weird default behavior to me
- Window snapping
- Backup (is Time Machine still good?)
- I installed brew and xcode tools to get stuff like git already

Anything else I'm forgetting?

I bought this primarily to just code and casually use. So far so good with Visual Studio Code on the M1.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

- Changing full screen maximize to just maximize, this is a weird default behavior to me
- Window snapping

1) If you double click the title bar instead of using the maximize/fullscreen button it will fill the window to the screen

2)BetterTouchTool is a requirement for all new Macs

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

The Unarchiver is still the best free option as far as I know

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Gunslinger posted:

I installed Alfred 4 which is pretty cool and Bartender since my menu bar was already getting clogged after one day. Looking for alternatives for the following if anyone can make recommendations:

macOS can natively zip files through the finder. For unarchiving, I also recommend The Unarchiver.

quote:

BetterTouchTool can change this.

quote:

I bought this primarily to just code and casually use. So far so good with Visual Studio Code on the M1.

May I recommend BBEdit as a programmer's text editor? Not quite as intelligent in the code completion as VSCode, I think, but it's really well designed and useful. Mostly free. Paying them unlocks direct git integration and a few other things.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Gunslinger posted:

It’s a couple bucks but I like Keka. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/keka/id470158793

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Gunslinger posted:

So yeah I got my first Macbook Pro (M1) and I've never used OS X before. Fun times adjusting from Windows and Linux, at least the terminal is familiar.

- Window snapping
- Backup (is Time Machine still good?)
- I installed brew and xcode tools to get stuff like git already

You can alt+click the maximize button for the non-fullscreen behaviour

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, appreciate all of the help and recommendations.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

While the topic of compression software is fresh, can anyone recommend software that works more like 7-Zip and the like on Windows? I'm looking for something that will show me a list of the files in the archive when I double-click rather that going straight to extracting. Sometimes I only want a file or two out of an archive.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The answer is and always has been WinRAR.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Outlook 2019 search of Exchange on-prem account returns no results for any search.

Rebuild Spotlight index for entire disk. Complete.

Same issue.

OS Spotlight search does find messages. The actual Outlook client staunchly refuses.

I am full of hatred. Email should be flat plain-text files stored in a folder hierarchy and used for no further purpose. Attachments be damned.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Perplx posted:

The answer is and always has been WinRAR.

I thought WinRAR for macOS was command line only?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Whoops thought I was in the windows thread, I just use unarchiver and hope the archive isn't that big.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AlternateAccount posted:

Outlook 2019 search of Exchange on-prem account returns no results for any search.

Rebuild Spotlight index for entire disk. Complete.

Same issue.

OS Spotlight search does find messages. The actual Outlook client staunchly refuses.

I am full of hatred. Email should be flat plain-text files stored in a folder hierarchy and used for no further purpose. Attachments be damned.

Delete your Outlook profile and make a new one would be the next step. Maybe do a clean uninstall/reinstall of Office while you’re at it.

I have a work related issue. Sophos 10.0.4 just dropped. It’s the first Big Sur / M1 compatible version. Anyone else using it on a laptop? I swear it’s making the fan on my 2018 MBP run a lot more. Nothing in activity monitor to indicate anything is pegging the cpu or disk.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 8, 2021

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
For pretty much the duration of my time in OS X land (which is almost 20 years!), I've kept my machines split into two partitions, one for OS/Applications and another for data.

Recently an OS upgrade errored out (due to a permissions issue?) and I can't unlock the second partition in target disc mode. It claims the volume needs to be unlocked (note it's not encrypted), attempting to unlock it with diskutil says I have to specify a user UUID, but diskutil lists no UUIDs on that second partition.

Should I use something other than APFS for secondary partitions? I've never had a problem like this with HFS+ in the past if something happened to the OS partition.

...Or is there something else I need to do to ensure secondary APFS partitions are easily usable by other machines?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 8, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Binary Badger posted:

:dafuq: macOS 11.2.2 has been released :dafuq:

Yup another update but this one supposedly fixes a showstopper:

I wonder what their definition of 'non-compliant' entails.. doesn't have a 'Made for Mac' label?

The build quality on counterfeit chargers is hilariously bad. They're fire hazards, shock hazards, and put put out dirty power or too much voltage. They are likely to damage your computer and possibly burn down your house.

http://www.righto.com/2016/03/counterfeit-macbook-charger-teardown.html

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Small White Dragon posted:

Should I use something other than APFS for secondary partitions? I've never had a problem like this with HFS+ in the past if something happened to the OS partition.

...Or is there something else I need to do to ensure secondary APFS partitions are easily usable by other machines?

I dunno, I'd have thought that if it was encrypted you'd just need the passphrase for a user account with access to that volume, and if not encrypted, it should just work.

In any case, I advise giving up and doing things the easy way. The two or three most recent major versions already do something like your manually janitored scheme under the hood even when you perform a nominal single-partition install. You can read more about it at:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=3xpv8r2m

In principle this should've let the updater recover from a failed update (by rolling the system volume back to the pre-update APFS snapshot), so if yours was a failed Big Sur or Catalina update and you had a read-only system volume, you hit a bad bug.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jose Oquendo posted:

Delete your Outlook profile and make a new one would be the next step. Maybe do a clean uninstall/reinstall of Office while you’re at it.

Yeah you’re probably right, I just don’t wanna spend the time excising it all, but I will.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

I dunno, I'd have thought that if it was encrypted you'd just need the passphrase for a user account with access to that volume, and if not encrypted, it should just work.

In any case, I advise giving up and doing things the easy way. The two or three most recent major versions already do something like your manually janitored scheme under the hood even when you perform a nominal single-partition install. You can read more about it at:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=3xpv8r2m

In principle this should've let the updater recover from a failed update (by rolling the system volume back to the pre-update APFS snapshot), so if yours was a failed Big Sur or Catalina update and you had a read-only system volume, you hit a bad bug.

Yeah wanted to say this but I am not as knowledgeable about it all. They changed the way MacOS handles to boot volume, OS, and data poo poo so doing something aside from the default way is going to cause problems.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah you’re probably right, I just don’t wanna spend the time excising it all, but I will.

If you look around people have written shell scripts to do it, which makes it really easy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oddity: When I'm trying to use my iPhone as a personal hotspot with my MBA (OS 11.1, updating presently), the option under the WiFi menu flickers white and grey and can only actually be selected during the half second or so it's white. It also does not show the battery level or signal strength on the iPhone. When I actually manage to select it it connects to the phone and appears to work flawlessly afterwards, although it still won't show the battery and signal. What gives?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
MY GIRLFRIEND recently picked up a new macbook air that came with Big Durr pre-installed. She likes to read pdfs at night using inverted colors (a lot of her pdfs are scanned from books) along with flux, but it seems that on this current OS, flux + inverted colors produces a blue coloring instead of a black.

Are there any ways around this, besides just disabling flux when using inverted colors?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND recently picked up a new macbook air that came with Big Durr pre-installed. She likes to read pdfs at night using inverted colors (a lot of her pdfs are scanned from books) along with flux, but it seems that on this current OS, flux + inverted colors produces a blue coloring instead of a black.

Are there any ways around this, besides just disabling flux when using inverted colors?

Does Flux do something better than Night Shift?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does Flux do something better than Night Shift?

Night shift is automatically disabled when inverting colors.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Can you just use the built in accessibility inverted colours? That seems to produce black in big sur for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone else getting CONSTANT notifications to connect to their Airpods on Big Sur 11.2.2?

e: nvm found the fix here
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252148807#:~:text=%22If%20you%20want%20to%20turn,Last%20Connected%20to%20This%20Mac.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Sorry if this has come up a million times and I missed it, but is there any software/method that can make a bootable clone onto an external drive since Apple have changed the drive setup/format? I've happily used SuperDuper! for years but the developer's blog just has a really convoluted partial workaround (that looks terrifying) and CCC, which I've used in the past, is pretty much the same.

Lord help me I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3 and an Intel iMac.

Can somebody cleverer than me (most people ITT) help? I just wanna hide my two externals in random places in case the actual computer gets stolen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Bootable clones are functionally dead on Big Sur, especially on ARM-based Macs.

Your best strategy is to clone the Big Sur Mac's data volume and restore that to a clean install instead.