Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

You can smash at least 1 dude by talking to NPCs

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

japtor posted:

Related note: 3D World port got rid of the auto save confirmation screen after every level. When I saw that there was nothing I was all :dance:

Yeah, among all of the other little improvements, this was easily the best for quality of life. When I last replayed the WiiU version (which I now no longer have to do), I remembered GODDAMN was there a lot of unnecessary downtime and A presses between every single level.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Mario + Bowser skin in Tetris 99 is dope. I'm digging the Sephiroth vibes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

You can smash at least 1 dude by talking to NPCs

In Hades you can gently caress two different NPCs and then both of them together

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Len posted:

Hard pass on videogame romance options

Talking to NPCs in Hades literally makes you stronger in a variety of ways. If you don’t talk to people you’re at a disadvantage during escape runs.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Octopath's combat and world skills were neat for a few hours then I just dreaded having to deal with it for another 40+.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zurtilik posted:

Octopath's combat and world skills were neat for a few hours then I just dreaded having to deal with it for another 40+.

And it has no overarching story that gives the characters a reason to be together, right? Like that Saga Frontier remaster that's coming soon?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think that was part of the point, but the common issue I've seen people talk about is that it comes off poorly as you start getting people together anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Talking to NPCs in Hades literally makes you stronger in a variety of ways. If you don’t talk to people you’re at a disadvantage during escape runs.

I didn't say I didn't talk to them

I just don't give a poo poo about what any of them have to say because I don't care

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

And it has no overarching story that gives the characters a reason to be together, right? Like that Saga Frontier remaster that's coming soon?

Nope. The super-endboss kind of tries to tie it together (and doesn't do it very well) but otherwise no.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mister Facetious posted:

The character stories are all fully independent, but you do get some hints dropped about the ~TRUE FINAL BOSS~ as you play through them. Then once you're done with every story you can go and fight said final boss. It's very FFIX, as it turns out that the driving events for most characters' stories were directly or indirectly caused by the plot to resurrect said final boss. It doesn't really quite land since the reveal happens after all the stories are over.

As for Saga Frontier, that's somewhat different because you choose a character and stick with them and their story through a single playthrough, which lets them be more cohesive. In Octopath you're getting random snippets of each story in a disjointed manner and it can be very jarring.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Thanks to the posters who told me how to buy Japanese games on the e-shop.

I've got another question. I'm looking for recommendations on a game I can play for 15-30 minutes and make meaningful progress before I go to sleep. In other words, these are my requirements:

• Reasonably long (50h+); lots of content ("grindy" is okay)
  • Low stakes: not a game like Into the Breach where a single mistake can squander an hour of progress
  • Action shouldn't be too intense (something like Mario Odyssey is fine, but not, like, Hollow Knight or Celeste)

Previous games I've played that have been good for this are Hyrule Warriors DE, Disgaea 5 and Stardew Valley. And picross, actually, but I'm not interested in more picross right now.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

nrook posted:

but I'm not interested in more picross right now.

:confused:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dragon Quest Builders 2, no question. Easily 50+ hours long, very chill, can be played in short bursts and still achieve things.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

The Bloop posted:

In Hades you can gently caress two different NPCs and then both of them together

Lol I stopped playing too soon

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nrook posted:

I've got another question. I'm looking for recommendations on a game I can play for 15-30 minutes and make meaningful progress before I go to sleep. In other words, these are my requirements:

• Low stakes: not a game like Into the Breach where a single mistake can squander an hour of progress
  • Action shouldn't be too intense (something like Mario Odyssey is fine, but not, like, Hollow Knight or Celeste)

Previous games I've played that have been good for this are Hyrule Warriors DE, Disgaea 5 and Stardew Valley. And picross, actually, but I'm not interested in more picross right now.

Have you considered more picross?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nrook posted:

Have you played Warframe? It's pretty much the perfect game for this. Most missions are short, you never lose anything if you fail, and you're constantly collecting and leveling things toward some sort of goal. You can put a million hours into it and still have more to do. It's also free.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

nrook posted:

Rune Factory 4 Special

It's Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley but with some old Ys-style combat and crafting

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

nrook posted:

Have you looked at rhythm games? I just picked up Sayonara Hearts and it's perfect for spending 10 minutes on a level.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ojetor posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2, no question. Easily 50+ hours long, very chill, can be played in short bursts and still achieve things.

How is the framerate for normal play? I know it gets pretty bad for those insane builds people have uploaded, but what about Joe Average?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

How is the framerate for normal play? I know it gets pretty bad for those insane builds people have uploaded, but what about Joe Average?

Perfectly fine and playable

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Len posted:

I didn't say I didn't talk to them

I just don't give a poo poo about what any of them have to say because I don't care

K cool, idk seems to me that those interactions go hand in hand with the combat parts in making Hades “special” and “good” but you do you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Len posted:

boo this man

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

K cool, idk seems to me that those interactions go hand in hand with the combat parts in making Hades “special” and “good” but you do you.

Which is why I think hades is just okay

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

nrook posted:

Hades fits these requirements.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

OhFunny posted:

action is pretty intense. more than celeste i’d say

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gnosia is pretty cool.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

b_d posted:

action is pretty intense. more than celeste i’d say

Ehhhh

Maybe more "intense" than most of Celeste A sides but very very different skills are involved

Plus many many many build options some of which are easy mode. Plus a literal easy mode that is adaptive to your skill level

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Muk Dumpster posted:

Spend that on a mod chip or if yours isn't patched go for it

:aaaaa:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. You're conflating dying with falling, which is true for most games but absolutely not the case for Hades.

In Hades you progress the narrative and character interactions by dying, and those aspects were so compelling that I was often more excited to see what happened when I died than to get a good blessing that might help me "win".

That's very different from failing, though we've been conditioned for decades to interpret it that way.

I guess it depends on how you define failing and what aspect of Hades you like. The basic scenario the game presents to you at start is "escape hell" and "dying" is the fail condition of that particular attempt, so I think it seems reasonable to say dying is failing. Maybe what you're getting at is that failing isn't a "bad" thing but a fun and necessary part of the learning process, which I agree with! But in that way it's very much a Trial By Fire game which sounds like the opposite of what that poster asking for recommendations wanted as their first Switch game.

A hypothetical player who only cares about seeing every dialogue option might consider escaping Hell too early "failing," but if the poster that asked for recs falls into that category than I still would recommend against it because if they just got a shiney new console they probably want to try it out with a gameplay-heavy game instead of just reading a book they could just as easily watch on YouTube.

OhFunny posted:

Is this a troll or is this thread completely losing its mind? The action is definitely intense and fast-paced even if it gets easier over time, and being a roguelite it's definitely a game where one bad battle could ruin up to 60 minutes of progress. This is obviously softened by the metaprogression and plot elements, but I think this poster is specifically NOT looking for a roguelite here.

As for an actual recommendation for nrook, how about Stardew Valley? Super long with lots of content, very relaxing, easy to play in tiny chunks, very low stakes, and the action is limited to one little slow-paced dungeon you can come back to at whatever pace you want.

The other rec I would give is Mario + Rabbids. You mentioned Into the Breach so I assume you like strategy games and Mario + Rabbids is secretly the best strategy game on the system. I think I got ~30-40 hours out of it and then another ~10 with the DLC.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is also pretty solid and has way more content although the difficulty curve in the game is a bit wacky and the default settings in that game cause the stakes to be very high due to permadeath (this can be turned off but a lot of people think that makes the game boring).

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Andrast posted:

Have you considered more picross?

Picross is the only switch game series worth playing until etrian odyssey releases

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dpulex posted:

Picross is the only switch game series worth playing until etrian odyssey releases
There should be an old-school dungeon game where you uncover the map by solving Picrosses

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Poster: Does anyone have any recommendations for games? My only requirement is that it does not have any Greek gods.

Fifteen posters in the thread: How about Hades??

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Martman posted:

There should be an old-school dungeon game where you uncover the map by solving Picrosses

Not picross but I just had the brain flash image of an RPG with a map revealing minigame that's dice games and having a die unfold like from that one arc of Yugioh with dungeon dice monsters to have the regions/locals on the inside.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mancalamania posted:

Poster: Does anyone have any recommendations for games? My only requirement is that it does not have any Greek gods.

Fifteen posters in the thread: How about Hades??

How about Picross?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

My Switch is pretty much exclusively a Picross machine these days.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think someone was asking earlier about pokemon mystery dungeon games. The switch one is on sale at Best Buy and Amazon for $45

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pokemo...8&skuId=6352138

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Q4QVX...ef_=as_li_ss_tl

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Could go for Hades Picross.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Len posted:

Id agree with you but hades is so good of a game in all ways its silly not to smash everyone you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Martman posted:

On 3DS there was Picdun that was almost exactly that

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS-download-software/Picdun-2-Witch-s-Curse-752775.html