Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Virginia veterans department has been super helpful, they're assisting me with my VA claim. Dude who called me actually seems to know the process inside and out which is an incredibly nice change of pace from the complete shitshow on the Navy side.

I did get contacted by a "veteran's evaluation services." Is it just a grift or is that something official? I'm double checking with the Virginia veteran's folks to make sure that's not something they contracted out but given that they called and left a bunch of messages AND emailed me a bunch with a sales pitch I'm getting grift vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Might be the contractor who does the exams. My representative straight up told me it was going to sound like a scam but it's not.

If you filed a claim they will be calling and texting you constantly to get scheduled.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
There's a legit Veterans Evaluation Services that does contract C&P exams. If you have doubts, call the VA benefits customer service line and ask if the outfit that contacted you is legit.

C&P exams shouldn't cost you anything.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/cdetje/status/1366897170780200963?s=19

This tracks as every detailer is a psychotic person

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's loving awesome.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's some Catch-22 level poo poo there. Joseph Heller would be proud.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

Ahhaah I hope that's true

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grip it and rip it posted:

Ahhaah I hope that's true

That's the Force Master Chief of Navy Personnel Command, so it probably is.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nick Soapdish posted:

For the past 4 years one of the guys I swore in with has been with me in every single training command and class from OCS through the RAG and we also joined the same squadron at the exact same time. Our new detailer is a guy who left our squadron a little bit ago and was my buddy's mission commander, before he left he said it would be absolutely hilarious if he could make us go to the same shore command when we rotated.

At first I thought it was a joke, now seeing this...

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just discovered the VA VET TEC program, another hidden gem. Seems like they basically give you the equivalent of a mini gi bill to do certain coding bootcamps, without it counting against your gi bill.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
CRTHFC has more people assigned to it than my command has active duty members. Do you think there will be guidance on to employ it at small commands where a 20 person, multi tier roster doesn't make sense?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the reason I got orders to my first boat, There was me, Elvis T. Cat, the MLPO, and my buddy Elvis T. Kat, the RCLPO.

We hosed with the engineer so much, deliberately answer questions obviously meant for the other one, report to his stateroom for the wrong division's issues, until he got so fed up he called us ET1 Kat and MM1 Cat until my buddy transferred.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1367853874631962625?s=19

I had forgotten about Modly flying out the Guam, bitching at the Sailors on the 1MC, and then immediately going back to DC

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nick Soapdish posted:

I had forgotten about Modly flying out the Guam, bitching at the Sailors on the 1MC, and then immediately going back to DC

Not even! He then had a 14 day corona quarantine! (And got fired before he was out of it, iirc)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

That is about the most Navy thing a person could do.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nick Soapdish posted:

So, I had to do the RILC course (5 year leadership/ethics training requirement for reserve officers) a couple weeks back, and one of the guys in the class was apparently a GOP state representative for his civilian job. Multiple times over the weekend during the discussion periods, he would bring up Modly's firing as some great affront to a public servant who cared about his sailors, and it took every ounce of restraint I had from calling his rear end out in front of the class to ask him why he would, with zero prompting, white knight for that rear end in a top hat.

I've always thought reservists shouldn't be allowed to hold partisan political office, but goddamn. This dude solidified it for me.

The icing on the cake was the dude's designator was 1650 (PAO). Like, hooooly poo poo, you think what Modly did was reasonable not only from a "shouldn't have to resign" perspective but also from a generic public affairs perspective?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 5, 2021

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

AlternateNu posted:

So, I had to do the RILC course (5 year leadership/ethics training requirement for reserve officers) a couple weeks back, and one of the guys in the class was apparently a GOP state representative for his civilian job. Multiple times over the weekend during the discussion periods, he would bring up Modly's firing as some great affront to a public servant who cared about his sailors, and it took every ounce of restraint I had from calling his rear end out in front of the class to ask him why he would, with zero prompting, white knight for that rear end in a top hat.

I've always thought reservists shouldn't be allowed to hold partisan political office, but goddamn. This dude solidified it for me.

The icing on the cake was the dude's designator was 1650 (PAO). Like, hooooly poo poo, you think what Modly did was reasonable not only from a "shouldn't have to resign" perspective but also from a generic public affairs perspective?

loving :lol::lol:, you were in class with Scott Spicer weren't you?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think it’s funny that Reddit’s Navy forum (which is by far the least lovely military subreddit, it’s all relative) changed their whole theme to make fun of Modly and still haven’t changed it back.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ManMythLegend posted:

Holy poo poo that sailed right over my head :kiss:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

Actually, no. You would think so based on my description, but it was this guy. What a photo, right? :v:

Edit: Oh, yeah. I also forgot to mention that before being a state rep, he was in the White House press corps. So you know he's a winner.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 6, 2021

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

AlternateNu posted:

Actually, no. You would think so based on my description, but it was this guy. What a photo, right? :v:

Edit: Oh, yeah. I also forgot to mention that before being a state rep, he was in the White House press corps. So you know he's a winner.

Of course he's an O4

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
As a former MCC theres no reason to have 1650s and they should all be either civilians or colateral duty JOs. Unfortunately theres no legit reason for the MC community any more either, it's just a nice thing to have when you want it, but they are at least more useful than uniformed PAOs.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

King of Bees posted:

As a former MCC theres no reason to have 1650s and they should all be either civilians or colateral duty JOs. Unfortunately theres no legit reason for the MC community any more either, it's just a nice thing to have when you want it, but they are at least more useful than uniformed PAOs.

I've only met a handful of PAOs and I've legitimately hated all of them and almost punched one square in the face in front of a bunch of VIPs.

In conclusion, I agree with op.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

I've only met a handful of PAOs and I've legitimately hated all of them and almost punched one square in the face in front of a bunch of VIPs.

I've only actually met one other PAO in person, and it was an O-2 Marine who I stood watch with back during my mob last year. He was a great guy and very down to Earth. He even asked me to pin him when he put on Capt.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I wasn't clear in my post. I was talking about Navy PAOs. I've met some other service guys that were ok.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So word on the street is we are getting vaccinated on the 30th. If we get vaccinated we may be able to go to Germany at the end of our tour for Wounded Warrior. However we will miss out on 4 weeks of pay for sitting on our asses in ROM. One of my coworkers stated he didn't want to get it now because poo poo son that's a month's worth of cash and then he will just be able to go to a local source and get it.

I don't think the Navy thought this one out.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Crab Dad posted:

I don't think the Navy thought this one out.

That's the slogan for everything involving COVID. I've never felt more like Joseph Heller was writing my life than my time so far as squadron COVID czar.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
I'm getting different answers so I figure I'll ask here:

So I'm in my 5th year, my original contract was 4 years, and I extended for 2 years, so my PRD/EAOS will be in August 2022. I'm also an IT and I'm currently on a ship in Yokosuka and I believe there was a navadmin came out in 2019 or so that included a bunch of rates, including mine that said 1st sea duty tours will be for 4 years instead of 3 years as an IT (my first duty station was shore). I want to stay in on my current ship in Yokosuka, so according to this navadmin, can I OTEIP 2 additional times even though my contract is slated to end in 2022? Would I need to reenlist, extend again, or will just routing OTEIP chit be enough? Also, will I be able to stay on my current ship for 4 years total?

I'll go to my NCC for this on Monday or Tuesday, but just want to see if I can get some answers beforehand.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ManMythLegend posted:

I got stories, lol. Mainly the 1650 community has a fraction of legit PR enthusiasts who are decent staff spokespeople but shouldnt be allowed to make any sort of operational decision let alone lead anyone. Most of them are lateral transfers from other communities, fallen angels etc., that are given a lifeline as a 1650. No one really expects them to do much of anything and they tend to fail upwards once they're in. My final xo was on her third designator as a PAO and anyone who worked with her could see why the other communities were glad to be rid of her. The PAOs who come in via ocs after filmschool or whatever usually get the gently caress put after one hitch because they arent allowed to touch big expensive cameras or do MC work which is what they expecteced to be doing. Hell most MCs do the same these days because its boring as gently caress without aircrew, dive or comcam billets. When i started out you could be a magazine staffer traveling the world doing phojo, a forensic or medical photographer, a radio DJ, a cheesy anchor for the base station or putting together the base paper. Technology took that over just like it has in civilian media. A scant few of these billets do still exist but theyre career dead ends and these days the CO just wants the facebook page updated and he doesnt give a poo poo if you just used your phone to snap a pic of the galley remodel.

VFW bartender: yeah buddy things sure have changed. I gotta close now.

:chiefsay: :corsair:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1368255147315519498?s=20

Seaman Hitler taking the fight to the Nazis

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

This is badass imo. Good on Willy.

ed: can't write good

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 6, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"So I hope you understand but you can forget about any kind of security clearance."

"Yeah, okay, that's fair."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That family straight up had a meeting and decided they would end their family name by not having children. Metal.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Godholio posted:

That family straight up had a meeting and decided they would end their family name by not having children. Metal.

I guess the connection between SA and Hitler runs all the way back to the start

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don’t know what it is but the old cuban exiles that end up in the naval hospital from the base are the shittiest, nastiest, grumpiest patients. Our current one tries to talk to our nurse orientee like she’s a servant and does all kinds of weird attention seeking stuff. Whenever he had a new nurse he pretends that his arms don’t work and that he needs to fed so that staff that don’t know him will spoon feed him.

Nothing compared to the last cuban exile though who would intentionally disconnect his colostomy bag and fling it at nurses.

Anyone ever interact with them at Gitmo? It’s bizarre.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's a reason they're exiles

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I mean Cuba was not the nicest place to live for many years, so I can understand why many people left.

Apparently from googling the people that are still there were all given the option of either moving to the US and citizenship or living there with housing, food and healthcare free forever but being stuck on the base there so if you want to spend your golden years lying in bed yelling at people the latter is more attractive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anyone want a ride on the USS Bedbug?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Anyone want a ride on the USS Bedbug?

wonder if smarter every day dude brought home some bed bugs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

e: nm