Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1368249069727006720

World's Most Divorced Man apparently believes his own bullshit. It's not cheap to run for Mayor of London and I seriously doubt the culture war dark money that's been feeding him so far will back him in this because the very best-case scenario is that he hives off the voters too racist to vote for Shaun Bailey, the amount of votes he'd take from Khan is basically zero.

The most silenced rich, straight conservative cis white man in England finally speaks out. thank the gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

notaspy posted:

Please don't doxx me

lol I have always said that the older a british bloke gets, the more interested he is in the content of any roadside skip he walks past :o:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yet again it's an 'efficiency savings' thing. Cut the council budget, in order to maintain social services they drop things like kerbside waste disposal collections. This is fine right, why should everybody's council tax go towards collections if not everybody uses them? Make the people who do need collections pay someone to pick it up instead. Of course, any waste disposal business that handles picking up your old fridge can do so a lot more profitably if they just dump it in a layby instead of paying the full fee at the tip, so as long as those dodgy ones aren't being prosecuted that becomes the standard. And of course when fly-tipped fridges show up in playgrounds, it's the council that pays more (out of everybody's council tax) to pick up and dispose them properly anyway in the end.

also related, I once shared a flat with a guy who saw a fridge on the kerb when that was still a thing, and just picked it up and carried it back to the flat. Not to use, he was going to disassemble the whole thing in his room to find out how it works. He had never heard of freon or CFCs, or that they have been replaced in fridges with flammable gas nowadays.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 6, 2021

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

"I'M BEING (dominated into) SILENCED"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can do a lot of fun and useful stuff with fridge compressors.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

MikeCrotch posted:

Milo Edwards has a great but in Trashfuture about the particular type of British guy who just *loves* going to the tip, to the point of knowing the names of the guys at the top and coming up with excuses to go. Extremely British Dad energy

I helped a friend renovate a house and garden and we had to remove so much rubble that it was at the point of having to apply for a commercial permit. Can confirm that being a tip regular where you're chatting with the workers about how the project is going and they'll recognise your car and just wave you through is a strangely comforting and satisfying feeling of acceptance.

e: Also having tradesman's accounts at all the local builders' merchants and being looked in the eye and treated like someone who knows which end of the hammer to hold, rather than with bored contempt, when you show up to buy a trailer full of roof tiles.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 6, 2021

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Tesseraction posted:

I was originally going to say "men are terrible" but chose to be more nuanced. Which of my caveats pissed you off?

Ignore me, your are probably right with your original thought. Apologies.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Rumda posted:

:sympathy:
maybe a mod could get that sorted without the :10bux:

Decided that step one is be the change you want to see :P But thank you and Isomermaid and Ash for the support. Perhaps better things are possible?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Most fly-tipping is commercial stuff. My understanding of it goes like this:

Landlord A hires oval office B to clean out the flat of someone he's just had evicted. Landlord A is - of course - a cheap piece of poo poo an entrepreneur, so pays oval office B the absolute bare minimum for the job. oval office B could pay his cash-in-hand sub-minimum-wage labourer to spend a few hours to sort out what bits of trash can be recycled, what bits need to go in the bin, and what bits need to go the local dump and dispose of the trash properly... or he could pay his cash-in-hand sub-minimum-wage labourer for an hour to stick it all in the back of the van and drive out somewhere with no CCTV and dump it in a kid's playground.

I wonder if that was the case here, because we found several letters that looked official. Network Rail took them but I'm not sure what they can really do with them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
rory stewart, with his face like a satanic ventriloquist's dummy

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Scikar posted:

also related, I once shared a flat with a guy who saw a fridge on the kerb when that was still a thing, and just picked it up and carried it back to the flat. Not to use, he was going to disassemble the whole thing in his room to find out how it works. He had never heard of freon or CFCs, or that they have been replaced in fridges with flammable gas nowadays.

A lot of people's expectation of technology seems to sort of run out at the clockwork level where you can see spring A pushing against cog B.
Without the understanding that it's a different type of technology entirely, taking apart a fridge will teach about as much as cracking the lid off a microchip. Much more likely to give you cold burns though.

Guavanaut posted:

Do tell?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

A lot of people's expectation of technology seems to sort of run out at the clockwork level where you can see spring A pushing against cog B.
Thought this was going to be about steam train Brexit fans for a start.

I do like steam stuff, and I still want to go on The Danny when things are safer (planned to go last year but lol), but there is something about steam technology that attracts a bunch of people who think that things were just ~so much simpler~ 120 years ago and therefore better :iiam:

The obvious one is that you can make a fridge or anything else that has a heat pump at its heart like a water chiller, or as a compressor for gas-liquid extraction, but you can also use them as a home vacuum pump for a tiny fraction of what you'd normally pay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YWyqtqNao
or as a kinda lovely compressor for things like airbrushing.

But yeah you shouldn't cut the pipes indoors (or at all really but our alleged recycling infrastructure does far worse things in the time it took me to write this post than what one person with one domestic fridge unit can do).

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

IllusionistTrixie posted:

Decided that step one is be the change you want to see :P But thank you and Isomermaid and Ash for the support. Perhaps better things are possible?

I hate to advocate for private health care, but in regards to trans people in britain it's pretty much a must unless you're either going to do it DIY or endure the absurd waiting times.

I'm with YourGP, Got a diagnosis and eventually hormones, a bit pricey but they don't have the same issues that GenderGP seem to be having... yet.

The main problem right now is getting GP's to actually cooperate... they're okay with doing sharedcare for blood tests but it's always a bit iffy with them, never know when they'll decide to start be arsey about it.

Look forward to seeing you in the Byob thread.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I have always said that the older a british bloke gets, the more interested he is in the content of any roadside skip he walks past :o:

I found my bike frame in a skip. Simoncini 70s vintage steel frame of just the right size. Built some wheels with sturmey archer gears and drum brakes added a brookes leather saddle and mud guards- the best commuter bike ever.

Been going 10 years now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ash Crimson posted:

I hate to advocate for private health care, but in regards to trans people in britain it's pretty much a must unless you're either going to do it DIY or endure the absurd waiting times.

I'm with YourGP, Got a diagnosis and eventually hormones, a bit pricey but they don't have the same issues that GenderGP seem to be having... yet.

The main problem right now is getting GP's to actually cooperate... they're okay with doing sharedcare for blood tests but it's always a bit iffy with them, never know when they'll decide to start be arsey about it.

Look forward to seeing you in the Byob thread.

how well did that work out did you just need two appointments? I'm currently doing DIY but I have had issue with supply I have an appointment next week to talk to my GP next week about how much she'll be willing to do with a private diagnosis

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

A post that requires no context whatsoever, and indeed may be lessened if such were to be provided.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Found Miftan's nemesis

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Rumda posted:

how well did that work out did you just need two appointments? I'm currently doing DIY but I have had issue with supply I have an appointment next week to talk to my GP next week about how much she'll be willing to do with a private diagnosis

I needed more than two but i did end up getting a diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria by one of the people from the closest GIC (Chalmers) which i guess will help in the future and at least can't be swept under the rug or discounted.

In terms of GPs it really depends on the gp and the practice. I'm lucky, really lucky that my gp is supportive and affirming, with the above probably contributing to that as well.

Just becareful with who you go to whilst GenderGP might be cheaper alot of gps don't like to work with them, going by british trans people's experiences. It might end up cheaper in the long run.

Again, I don't know how typical my experience is, but at least with Edinburgh's branch of YourGP it was pretty good, not as much gatekeeping as i thought there would be, just make sure to show that you're taking active steps, they understood that i had concerns about my safety, which is why i'm still in boymode (for the most part).

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 6, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Found Miftan's nemesis

Which bit does the Jesus live in?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the real Jesus was the cake we made along the way.

Also I've been reading some holy-poo poo-the-us-healthcare-industry stuff and it just drums home how loving bad an idea it was to leave dentistry outside being fully NHS.

"Yeah you have to pay for the bits of your skeleton that normally stick out of your body until they kill something else inside" - helthcar.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my ma got her wooden garden table and chairs off a loyalist bonfire years ago lol

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Guavanaut posted:

Thought this was going to be about steam train Brexit fans for a start.

I do like steam stuff, and I still want to go on The Danny when things are safer (planned to go last year but lol), but there is something about steam technology that attracts a bunch of people who think that things were just ~so much simpler~ 120 years ago and therefore better :iiam:

One of my dads hobbies is making miniature stationary steam engines from bits of scrap metal. He just enjoys loving around in his workshop and creating stuff. He was also a member of CND in the 60s, a member of the Young Communist League and will swear to this day he saw American marines hitting demonstrators while they stood on the steps of the embassy in 68.

He would also probably agree with you. He met up with a local club of model engineers but didn't get on with them. He described them as middle class right wing cunts.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe the real Jesus was the cake we made along the way.

Also I've been reading some holy-poo poo-the-us-healthcare-industry stuff and it just drums home how loving bad an idea it was to leave dentistry outside being fully NHS.

"Yeah you have to pay for the bits of your skeleton that normally stick out of your body until they kill something else inside" - helthcar.

Funny, I was reading a Twitter thread of "what does the US do better than the UK?" yesterday, with some strange claims (toilets? water pressure? one person even tried to claim internet speeds), but the top two were food (lol) and dentists/ry. Like, yeah I know British teeth haha, but I'd take more people having (imperfect) access to ok dentists than the rich getting everything up to and including Hollywood orthodontics, and screw everyone else.

Also, "yes we'll fix your eyeballs if they get diseased or damaged, but cough up if they don't focus light quite right" - healthcare

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bobstar posted:

Like, yeah I know British teeth haha, but I'd take more people having (imperfect) access to ok dentists than the rich getting everything up to and including Hollywood orthodontics, and screw everyone else.

Same, having to drop knowledge at times

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Would you feel better if I pointed out that Americans & English teeth are on the whole equally bad, and if i'd wanted a root canal in the US it would have cost me over a thousand dollars (and the same again for a crown on top) instead of the £100-ish I paid here?

Or of course I could just go on working untreated and develop an opioid addiction for the pain and hope to get a place in a free dental charity cookout in a walmart parking lot in nine months time?

If you want to gently caress off from stereotypes and educate yourself please do so here: https://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h6543

But of course I know you won't do that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bobstar posted:

Funny, I was reading a Twitter thread of "what does the US do better than the UK?" yesterday, with some strange claims (toilets? water pressure? one person even tried to claim internet speeds), but the top two were food (lol) and dentists/ry. Like, yeah I know British teeth haha, but I'd take more people having (imperfect) access to ok dentists than the rich getting everything up to and including Hollywood orthodontics, and screw everyone else.

Also, "yes we'll fix your eyeballs if they get diseased or damaged, but cough up if they don't focus light quite right" - healthcare

I feel like I read somewhere recently that brits on average have more healthy teeth than americans

e: ^^ well it might have been that?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Luxury bones

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The dentist I go to keeps negging me every time I turn up to buy some weird hollywood poo poo off her..

I'm like "nope just fill the potholes please that's the only reason I come here"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
circumcision

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

circumcision

Love a moist glans, personally

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

toilets?
US toilets fill ridiculously high with water for some reason.

e: ^^ That's probably the reason.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Ash Crimson posted:

Love a moist glans, personally

yeah i'm not saying it's good, just they do a lot more of it

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

The dentist I go to keeps negging me every time I turn up to buy some weird hollywood poo poo off her..

I'm like "nope just fill the potholes please that's the only reason I come here"

I know at least one person who owes a dentist a significant 4 figure sum because they upsold like this while also being very quiet as to the cost of it (or that it wasn't covered by the NHS at all) until the bill came through.

And when that came to light, the dentist's reaction was essentially a diplomatic version of "We both know you can't afford to go after me for malpractice either".

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

Appropo of nothing but there's nothing inherently gay about two men sucking each others dicks

They could just be good friends

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know at least one person who owes a dentist a significant 4 figure sum because they upsold like this while also being very quiet as to the cost of it (or that it wasn't covered by the NHS at all) until the bill came through.

And when that came to light, the dentist's reaction was essentially a diplomatic version of "We both know you can't afford to go after me for malpractice either".

Yeah like they don't come out and say "you look like poo poo" but it's subtle stuff like "you know we offer a whitening service that a lot of people say makes them feel better about themselves" like it's literally textbook PUA poo poo where they insult you without technically doing it. Seems real bad honestly for people who are susceptible to that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

crispix posted:

Yeah they circumcise as a matter of course in the US, although I don't know if it's a state by state thing or everywhere. Non-medical circumcision is some nasty poo poo, very little difference to FGM which is rightly deemed abhorrent yet this ....isn't.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my dentist retired last year and i found out he was 60, there was no way i'd have taken him for over 50 even

wore trendy trainers with his scrubs and everything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lungboy posted:

Yeah they circumcise as a matter of course in the US, although I don't know if it's a state by state thing or everywhere. Non-medical circumcision is some nasty poo poo, very little difference to FGM which is rightly deemed abhorrent yet this ....isn't.

The yanks are real strange about it too, like "well we've always done it don't be weird about it"

Like no stop pruning your babbies for no reason.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Lungboy posted:

yeah my american ex was circumcised "just because". it's very much the norm in the mid-west from what i've gathered. he's from ohio and he was not exactly chaste in his college days but mine was the first foreskin he'd encountered lol

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

yeah my american ex was circumcised "just because". it's very much the norm in the mid-west from what i've gathered. he's from ohio and he was not exactly chaste in his college days but mine was the first foreskin he'd encountered lol

It's basically to punish people for jacking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also some of them have a weird idea that you get dick stank or something if you don't cut it off?

Like no, just wash it, it's not hard.