Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Takes No Damage posted:

My Sonarr is 2.0.0.5344 from last March, but Radarr is 3.0.2.4552 from the Feb 5th. I don't remember doing anything different to get Radarr v3, just updated through the GUI as normal...

Clearly whatever you are using isn't using the ports tree to source updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

ChineseBuffet posted:

If you happen to know, who are the dirt cheap block providers with the full omicron retention? Been looking to get off NewsDemon now that it sucks.

Blocknews is the only one that i know that is left with the omicron retention and block accounts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Fair enough. Everything I do is through SSL or VPN so I'm not too worried about Uncle Sam cracking down on my totally safe and legal Linux ISOs :patriot: Still need to sit down some time and work up a privacy.com account, at least then only one random website has my CC info rather than a dozen.

I’m not talking about anyone sniffing the traffic, I’m talking about handing over payment details to PirateWebsite.net which either gets hacked or gets seized by the US Government who now has your payment details as well. Your VPN doesn’t mean anything if you can tie a website username to a PayPal address with a simple subpoena.

Now, that being said, I don’t know of any Usenet sites ever being taken down by governments or any type of action against users instead of owners, but it’s still a non-zero risk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FCKGW posted:

I’m not talking about anyone sniffing the traffic, I’m talking about handing over payment details to PirateWebsite.net which either gets hacked or gets seized by the US Government who now has your payment details as well. Your VPN doesn’t mean anything if you can tie a website username to a PayPal address with a simple subpoena.

Now, that being said, I don’t know of any Usenet sites ever being taken down by governments or any type of action against users instead of owners, but it’s still a non-zero risk.

That alone wouldn't be evidence of a crime committed though right? They'd need to provide evidence of what exactly was pirated.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Some credit card agencies have virtual credit card numbers that are tied to a single payee/domain. You specify how much you're going to spend and they create a temporary credit card with a low limit to prevent the card from being rung up for thousands. If the site is hacked, you disable that card.

If you're worried about the US government as a casual content pirate, you should not bother because (A) they know anyway if they really want to, and (B) there's not much you can really do to be invisible to them so it will just send you to the point where you live in a log cabin less than a mile from the Canadian border and use gas lamps for light. They go after operators because operators are almost always committing a felony since hosting web sites costs money. Copyright is a tort so users are not a priority. In the past few years established crypto markets like CoinBase have had similar controls placed on them as traditional banks, so you'll need to submit a photo of your drivers license to them to be able to acquire any. If you're seriously panicked about having a financial account under your birth certificate name show a transaction to a Usenet provider, you'll have to mine your own cryptocurrency and store it in some offshore wallet or whatever. It's not really an option for most people, especially with what GPUs are inflated to anytime it's viable.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

That Works posted:

That alone wouldn't be evidence of a crime committed though right? They'd need to provide evidence of what exactly was pirated.

I think something like DirecTV card programmer customers’ demand letters are a more likely threat; they obtained customer lists from the card programmer hardware resellers then sent letters: “we know you bought this. the only purpose of these is to break copyright law. pay us $Xk or we’ll sue”.

How likely or successful that would be is debatable, but not having smoking gun evidence is not a barrier to a bad outcome for you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PCjr sidecar posted:

I think something like DirecTV card programmer customers’ demand letters are a more likely threat; they obtained customer lists from the card programmer hardware resellers then sent letters: “we know you bought this. the only purpose of these is to break copyright law. pay us $Xk or we’ll sue”.

How likely or successful that would be is debatable, but not having smoking gun evidence is not a barrier to a bad outcome for you.

Right but usenet subscriptions have legal uses also which isn't quite equivalent to the DirectTV thing. Knowing you have a sub wouldn't be significant burden of proof for piracy.

IANAL so just spitballing it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

That Works posted:

Right but usenet subscriptions have legal uses also which isn't quite equivalent to the DirectTV thing. Knowing you have a sub wouldn't be significant burden of proof for piracy.

IANAL so just spitballing it.

The number of legitimate users on Download-copyright-stuff.su (vs google groups, etc) is probably on the same order of magnitude as legitimate smartcard programmers.

But the specific mechanism doesn’t really matter; if you find it credible that associating your name, address, etc with copyright infringement online might increase your risk, then you might want to even if it is low-probability, if it isn’t particularly inconvenient. Particularly avoiding any encounter with PayPal’s notoriously hostile dispute/legal/customer service.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

norp posted:

Clearly whatever you are using isn't using the ports tree to source updates

Oh yeah I didn't install them from the *BSD packages. Even when the jails were created I ran a fetch command to grab the install files from either GitHub or the apps own hosting. My Sonarr was:
fetch http://download.sonarr.tv/v2/master/mono/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz

and Radarr was:
fetch https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/releases/download/v0.2.0.995/Radarr.develop.0.2.0.995.linux.tar.gz

Once they're installed do you not see an option to update them further in the System > Updates menu?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I do see that but I've never taken the risk of the 3rd party dependencies being wrong.

I guess I can snapshot the jail and give I a go!!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The main the the port/package provides is a well configured RC script, I'll have to check if it runs the thing from somewhere read-only to the runtime account

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yet Another Question: Is there a program that will collate searches? So far I have a handful of indexers, but it's a pain to run the same set of queries on all of them one by one.

I know they all support API access, and I know that Sonarr/Radarr can do automatic searching, but is there anything standalone that will allow me to view the results of the same query across all of them? (If not, i guess i can probably make that lol)

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
It's called NzbHydra2, and it rules

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

So I just tried to pay for Drunken Slug. They asked for 10 EUR so I switched coinbase to EUR and sent it along. And it turns out I am 0.00000013 BTC too short because of price fluctuations

So do I just loving, lose this money now? or what. I can't find anything about if Mycelium Gear refunds it.

Yet another reason to hate bitcoin, I guess.

EDIT: Got in touch with the DS peep, he fixed it

Greatest Living Man posted:

It's called NzbHydra2, and it rules

Thanks!!!

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

And if you use torrent for anything there's an equivalent app called Jackett where you can load in a bunch of indexers and then point Rad/Sonarr to Jackett and have it search them all.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

And if you use torrent for anything there's an equivalent app called Jackett where you can load in a bunch of indexers and then point Rad/Sonarr to Jackett and have it search them all.

It's weird, Usenet seems to have more stuff that I'm interested in where the torrents are slow/dead/don't exist, but the searchers for torrents seem to be several orders of magnitude better for finding good quality content.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I think that’s due to the usage patterns and heritage of the two platforms. Most people use Usenet with automated tools, whereas torrents tend to be more of a manual search process.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Just a heads-up for those of you using the linuxserver/sonarr docker image, the "latest" tag is now v3, and "preview" has been deprecated.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Just a heads-up for those of you using the linuxserver/sonarr docker image, the "latest" tag is now v3, and "preview" has been deprecated.

Question for Docker-Windows folks: How do you get Usenet programs to not run like molasses?

For example, NZBget on Windows can max my gigabit connection, but in Docker is about 70% slower. Unrar is slower. Also, Radarr and Sonarr constantly complained about NZBget’s download directory being relatively different, despite the absolute mapping being the same, resulting in neither program being willing to move completed downloads. Is there a secret I am missing? Otherwise, I really freaking love the concept of Docker.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bobfather posted:

Question for Docker-Windows folks: How do you get Usenet programs to not run like molasses?

For example, NZBget on Windows can max my gigabit connection, but in Docker is about 70% slower. Unrar is slower.

It might be the limit of your computer re: virtualization

It's easy enough to rent out a small server and use nzbget on it, and it was super efficient for me

bobfather posted:

Also, Radarr and Sonarr constantly complained about NZBget’s download directory being relatively different, despite the absolute mapping being the same, resulting in neither program being willing to move completed downloads. Is there a secret I am missing? Otherwise, I really freaking love the concept of Docker.

Can you show the error? It could be a permissions thing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

alexandriao posted:

So I just tried to pay for Drunken Slug. They asked for 10 EUR so I switched coinbase to EUR and sent it along. And it turns out I am 0.00000013 BTC too short because of price fluctuations

So do I just loving, lose this money now? or what. I can't find anything about if Mycelium Gear refunds it.

Yet another reason to hate bitcoin, I guess.

EDIT: Got in touch with the DS peep, he fixed it

Thanks!!!

Yeah, always just add a couple bucks to whatever payment your sending. If you need to pay $10 then add $12 to your Coinbase account because Bitcoin is a loving disaster.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, always just add a couple bucks to whatever payment your sending. If you need to pay $10 then add $12 to your Coinbase account because Bitcoin is a loving disaster.

No if that was the case the payment wouldn't have gone through, coinbase accounts for that

The difference in amount was (off the top of my head): 0.000005 btc, which is below the minimum amount you can send. I typed 10 EUR into coinbase but the price fluctuated at thay exact moment lmao

General reminder that crypto is trash

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

I think that’s due to the usage patterns and heritage of the two platforms. Most people use Usenet with automated tools, whereas torrents tend to be more of a manual search process.

Also since torrenting is peer-based, things that are new and/or popular will have higher availability since more people are trading pieces around, while usenet (in my mind at least) is more like an old school FTP server where a file just sits there and waits to be requested upon. I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification but it makes sense to me :saddowns:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Takes No Damage posted:

Also since torrenting is peer-based, things that are new and/or popular will have higher availability since more people are trading pieces around, while usenet (in my mind at least) is more like an old school FTP server where a file just sits there and waits to be requested upon. I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification but it makes sense to me :saddowns:

No, that's basically true. Usenet providers store every article in every group they crawl, going back to their maximum retention. So if a provider's maximum retention is 10 years, there should be no difference between a file that was uploaded last week and 5 years ago.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

more falafel please posted:

No, that's basically true. Usenet providers store every article in every group they crawl, going back to their maximum retention. So if a provider's maximum retention is 10 years, there should be no difference between a file that was uploaded last week and 5 years ago.

Except if/when DMCA kicks in. Some providers dgaf, but still something to consider.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's when collusion kicks in and they all delete different pieces of the file from their servers so they can say that you can't get a complete version from their service, but can get the missing pieces from any other provider, which come to think of it is like really inefficient torrenting :pseudo:

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Takes No Damage posted:

That's when collusion kicks in and they all delete different pieces of the file from their servers so they can say that you can't get a complete version from their service, but can get the missing pieces from any other provider, which come to think of it is like really inefficient torrenting :pseudo:

Does it actually work like this in practice anymore? It's been a while since I've had anything fail in different places on different providers but be able to cobble together the whole file. Either it fails completely on my main account and one of my backups is able to pick it up 100%, or it fails everywhere.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For those on TrueNAS, Radarr v3 now works in a jail.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/experimental-radarr-v3-1-dotnet5-binary.91489/

Fairly simple for the install. I just used the one I have for sabnzbd.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had v3 running in a jail for a while now, but I couldn't hack .NET into FreeBSD so it's still using Mono. It complains about using Mono 5.10 but everything seems to work fine. But your link is talking about a (more) current release of .NET for xBSD which is something future versions of Radarr will use exclusively IIRC, so it's still good that some progress is being made there.

The devs claimed that since Radarr was being built for .NET that it would perform better using that, have you noticed any differences since switching over?

e:
I do enjoy the 'official' instructions at the beginning of the README:
code:
for best results: read
for an interesting time: YOLO
Ah that old Linux-like curse: "May you live in interesting times." :v:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 16, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Performance-wise can't really answer since it is a new install on my server that didn't have radarr. :v:

Will say though I don't have any complaints about it. About the only problems I had with it were getting it to run as a service and some permission issues since I'm no FreeBSD guru and still learning. Also need to tweak my directory/mountpoint layout so it doesn't have to do a copy and can simply do a fast move.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Takes No Damage posted:

I've had v3 running in a jail for a while now, but I couldn't hack .NET into FreeBSD so it's still using Mono. It complains about using Mono 5.10 but everything seems to work fine. But your link is talking about a (more) current release of .NET for xBSD which is something future versions of Radarr will use exclusively IIRC, so it's still good that some progress is being made there.

The devs claimed that since Radarr was being built for .NET that it would perform better using that, have you noticed any differences since switching over?

e:
I do enjoy the 'official' instructions at the beginning of the README:
code:
for best results: read
for an interesting time: YOLO
Ah that old Linux-like curse: "May you live in interesting times." :v:

I recently updated within the app to radarr V3 (if the port gets updated I may or may not get hosed)

Yes it works

Yes I get the mono 5.1 warning

For the adventurous: mono 5.2 and 6.8 do exist in the ports tree (and package repo) so you could probably install them and run it on a newer version

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Here's hoping for a sabnzbd updated port eventually. I notice a lot of work on it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I actually think the port maintainer for them has vanished
My day to day work isn't on FreeBSD so I'd be hesitant to pick that up as a personal project since I'd probably have to set up a test environment for it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I'm kinda thinking of moving to Linux to be honest since zfs is well supported there now

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Also need to tweak my directory/mountpoint layout so it doesn't have to do a copy and can simply do a fast move.

All my media stuff comes in to the same NAS blob of drives, so I just have my Downloads folder and my Media folder mounted to Sonarr and Radarr, when something completes in the Downloads side the apps automatically move it to /movies/moviename or whatever. Can get a little more complex with torrents if you want to leave the files in place for a bit to seed, but for Usenet that should be all you need.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I recently added a new TV show to Sonarr and some of the episodes from the initial search weren't able to completely download. I feel like it used to be that Sonarr would then try other releases, either immediately or after a few hours but that neither has happened for me. The missing episodes do get found if I manually hit the automatic search button but is there a way to do it that doesn't require me to do that? Sonarr is on version 2.0.0.5344 it says.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Time to update to v3!

Edit: which could potentially fix your issue.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My docker container says it's from "linuxserver/sonarr:latest", what do I need to switch to get v3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Incessant Excess posted:

My docker container says it's from "linuxserver/sonarr:latest", what do I need to switch to get v3?

Should just update normally according to the current tag listings:

Edit: Just checked my server, yeah. Don't need to do anything if you're already using latest. I'm on the new look.

Edit #2: You might have grab a new image with whatever Docker manager you have. I use Unraid with CA plugins that handle updates for me.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 25, 2021