Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dias posted:

I actually like SF4's visual style but it's not a unanimity as a lot of goons would have you know if you posted that during its heyday, haha. Still, I don't think anyone would disagree if you said it arguably looks better than SF5 despite being considerably older.

My thinking was that the sumi-e style gave it a really distinct look, so I figured maybe if tried something along those lines for SF6, it might pan out better.

Honestly, I don't think SFV looks that bad. Some characters look off (Ken still looks kind of bug-eyed or something), but in general, I think it looks okay. It kind of seems like they were going for a cartoonish/cel-shaded style almost.

Yardbomb posted:

He was another of the people that skirted by ever being punished much at all, for far too long by many years by playing the "B-BRO IT'S A CHARACTER, I JUST poo poo ON OTHER MINORITIES AND RAGE OUT CONSTANTLY AS A JOKE" shtick despite loving puke like the below having existed, him calling Brolylegs nasty bullshit aimed at his disability after losing to him, which is also recorded, being a weird and gross "feeemayles" type person, overall racist and homophobe, he was just one of those garbage people that got to stay in the community because he was "a personality" and somehow had and has fans, even after recently, he finally got the boot for being transphobic yet again, which somehow finally stuck.

He's one of those guys who desperately deserved one of the real cases of "Say that poo poo in person" and getting a fist to the face.

E: Oh and lol, after he got summarily banned from like every major tournament, big shock his cronies started crying "SO YOU SAY ONE THING ABOUT TRANS AND YOU'RE DONE HUH" as if he hadn't been a transphobe long before.

I sort of remember hearing about that. For the most part, though, I see him mentioned along DSP, and while I know DSP had a stint in the FGC, Phil's infamy was more so the extensive documentation of his inability to play video games competently and his refusal to admit he was wrong. Phil, however, was mainly a Let's Player, while LTG (from the little I've seen) mainly play fighting games.

-

Speaking of incompetence, I'm still playing Street Fighter V, and I can't tell if I'm really bad, or the AI is really bad. I've been able to beat arcade mode with no continues for the SF1 route a few times with a couple of different characters (Ryu, Ken, Cody) and after a couple attempts, I was able to do a 1cc with Chun-Li in the SF2 route earlier today. However, I also ended up losing to Shin Akuma in the fight after Bison.

I tried playing online in battle lounges and ranked matches again today, but I absolutely cannot win a game. I've won a few rounds, and had a few matches where I came close to beating an opponent, but I've still only got like 4 wins vs 48 losses or something. I've switched characters six times (Ryu > Cammy > Ibuki > Ken > Chun-Li > Cody), but no luck.

Then I tried playing through some of the character stories and...they're really easy! I mean, I'm not surprised, because I know an actual human being is going to have more sense than a computer, but I've been playing the arcade modes on Normal, and I can steamroll most of the opponents, save for the final bosses (Bison and Gill can really wreck your poo poo if you fumble)

I tried doing character combos, and I actually managed to do quite a few with Cammy, but it took a lot of tries to execute them. I know lengthy combo memorization isn't required to win, but even with something like 'Light Jumping Kick > Light Crouching Kick > Light Crouching Punch > H. Spiral Arrow', I just could not get the timing down immediately, and it took me like two dozen or so tries to pull it off.

So I'm in a weird spot, where I can seem to handle the offline mode pretty well, but I get obliterated against people online, and I just generally feel incompetent.

Endorph posted:

and 2d's better than 3d.

edit: and i want more scantily clad anime babes in fighting games

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

COMPLETELY WRONG THREAD

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

COMPLETELY WRONG THREAD TWICE

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

He sounds cool but the nerfs they announced to ui immediately afterwards leave a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully if he's as good as he looks they don't just neuter him in a year too.

I mean, most folks seem pretty convinced that UI Goku's the Top 1 character in the game, works in any character slot in any team, and basically his only weakness is that his offense can be safe or can have some vicious mixups but not both unless you have an assist, so he's slightly less preferable as anchor as the characters who shine there (while still being a better anchor then most of the cast because his defensive tools are just that good.) He's on a billion teams and the only reason he's not the most complained about character in the game is that Roshi's B assist still makes people mad salty and I'd be really surprised if he got past this point without getting some of that chipped at eventually.

Baby seemed insane at first but turned out to be pretty in line with a lot of the other stronger characters because it turns out his frame data wasn't stellar and a lot of the cast can just openly disrespect his attempted bullshit with superdashes/deflects/vanishes and his only answer besides assists is a random raw Level 3 on prediction, so I'd wait and see what SSJ4 is like when he actually hits to see if he's all that busted.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Reiley posted:

More fighting game women deserve to wear practical clothing including actual pants and boots with treads instead of heels.

I hate combat boot heels so goddamned much.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I've got a fight stick that I've borrowed/stolen from one of my friends, and I keep bouncing off it in favor of a fightpad. Any tips/tricks to help it stick this time?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Artelier posted:

COMPLETELY WRONG THREAD XRD

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Thread Strike

boz posted:

I've got a fight stick that I've borrowed/stolen from one of my friends, and I keep bouncing off it in favor of a fightpad. Any tips/tricks to help it stick this time?

If a pad really is more comfortable for you then use it, thankfully the days of "NO, STICK BETTER" have pretty largely disappeared, lots of dudes have and still do use pads and win major events.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

boz posted:

What is it about the stick that you think is putting you off of it?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

If a pad really is more comfortable for you then use it, thankfully the days of "NO, STICK BETTER" have pretty largely disappeared, lots of dudes have and still do use pads and win major events.

I might stick with the pad but I want to give it a real chance, plus I don't think there will be a PS5 fightpad before Strive releases.

Max Wilco posted:

What is it about the stick that you think is putting you off of it?

I think the hard part is learning a whole new control scheme for something I already know how to do with a different one, if that makes sense.

My problem might also be how I've been gripping the ball, watched a few videos earlier today that showed me I was definitely doing that in not the best way.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of incompetence, I'm still playing Street Fighter V, and I can't tell if I'm really bad, or the AI is really bad. I've been able to beat arcade mode with no continues for the SF1 route a few times with a couple of different characters (Ryu, Ken, Cody) and after a couple attempts, I was able to do a 1cc with Chun-Li in the SF2 route earlier today. However, I also ended up losing to Shin Akuma in the fight after Bison.

I tried playing online in battle lounges and ranked matches again today, but I absolutely cannot win a game. I've won a few rounds, and had a few matches where I came close to beating an opponent, but I've still only got like 4 wins vs 48 losses or something. I've switched characters six times (Ryu > Cammy > Ibuki > Ken > Chun-Li > Cody), but no luck.

Then I tried playing through some of the character stories and...they're really easy! I mean, I'm not surprised, because I know an actual human being is going to have more sense than a computer, but I've been playing the arcade modes on Normal, and I can steamroll most of the opponents, save for the final bosses (Bison and Gill can really wreck your poo poo if you fumble)

I tried doing character combos, and I actually managed to do quite a few with Cammy, but it took a lot of tries to execute them. I know lengthy combo memorization isn't required to win, but even with something like 'Light Jumping Kick > Light Crouching Kick > Light Crouching Punch > H. Spiral Arrow', I just could not get the timing down immediately, and it took me like two dozen or so tries to pull it off.

So I'm in a weird spot, where I can seem to handle the offline mode pretty well, but I get obliterated against people online, and I just generally feel incompetent.

:yeah:

The game's been out a few years now, so losing a lot at first is totally normal when you hop online. If you find a character you like playing, learn a few of their bread and butter combos (e.g. for Ryu, I think now you can do his target combo into VS2 for big, easy damage), and practice anti-airing jumping opponents either with a dedicated special move like Shoryuken, or a high-hitting normal attack like Ryu's cr.HP. If you can do these two things consistently, you will lose much less often, and you can start adding more to your skillset as you play.

edit: also, if you want to post a replay of one or two of your online matches, we can probably give you some pointers.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 7, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

boz posted:

I might stick with the pad but I want to give it a real chance, plus I don't think there will be a PS5 fightpad before Strive releases.

I think the hard part is learning a whole new control scheme for something I already know how to do with a different one, if that makes sense.

My problem might also be how I've been gripping the ball, watched a few videos earlier today that showed me I was definitely doing that in not the best way.

I've never used a fight pad before, so I can't really comment on the differences between it, a stick, and a regular gamepad.

I was sort of worried about learning how I'd handle the stick versus using a regular gamepad, but I feel like I've taken to it pretty well. That said, the only game I've played with it is SFV, and with how the button are mapped by default, the scheme is pretty straightforward (top row is punches, bottom row is kicks; from left-to-right it goes light>medium>heavy>all three). Outside of Street Fighter, I don't know how it handles, so you could try remapping the buttons to something that seems more comfortable.

For the stick itself, I've found that I've taken to holding it in the wine-glass fashion, so I can just flex my fingers or wrist a bit to control. However, I imagine I'm not practicing the best ergonomics in regards to using it, so following videos guides is a good plan (I should probably do that too).

One thing I will say is that I've used it on the top of my desk, rather than holding it in my lap, so if you can, you might want to try resting it on a surface if you aren't already.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
If you like 2D platformers, shmups, and stuff like that, use your stick for basically anything you think it would work with. You'll get used to it real quick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

play Mario on a Fightstick it owns

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Max Wilco posted:

What is the story with LowTierGod anyway? I never really followed that whole thing, but people made him out to be a lot like DSP.

If you want the full story in under 30 minutes, just watch this documentary (that LTG still rages about to this day apparently because this video got more views than his entire channel has over the course of a decade). I do not recommend watching clips or compilations of him across youtube uploaded by other people all that much because they are pretty weird themselves, but also 99% of what LTG says can qualify as hate speech or murder/sexual assault fantasies because someone beat him in a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XautDocZvbM

And then supplement that with "he got banned from EVO due to making a super transphobic rant not that long later"

He was "in" the FGC in the sense that he used to go to EVO at least to drown in pools a lot, and he was actually on his best behavior in person (to the degree where Punk was like "oh man he is like a completely different person in real life" at first, and then was back at "okay this dude is fake as hell" when LTG started raging usually the worst at punk, Smug, or Snake Eyez, and yes the reason why its usually these three in particular is an easy read).

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 7, 2021

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

In Training posted:

play Mario on a Fightstick it owns

Many games pre Dual-Shock play excellently on my fightstick.

Edit: I actually beat the Punchout!!! and Super Punchout!!! arcade ports for Switch with my fightstick and I had a blast!

Geo Fixer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 7, 2021

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Max Wilco posted:

Playing against other people is almost a completely different game than playing against the computer. The strategy and tactics to improve and ultimately win have nearly endless depth and there are a lot of resources available in addition to just playing a lot to help get better. I recommend the videos on Core-A channel as well presented explanations of many of these concepts:

https://youtu.be/riGCdE6ZPck

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

MechaX posted:

If you want the full story in under 30 minutes, just watch this documentary (that LTG still rages about to this day apparently because this video got more views than his entire channel has over the course of a decade). I do not recommend watching clips or compilations of him across youtube uploaded by other people all that much because they are pretty weird themselves, but also 99% of what LTG says can qualify as hate speech or murder/sexual assault fantasies because someone beat him in a video game.

And then supplement that with "he got banned from EVO due to making a super transphobic rant not that long later"

He was "in" the FGC in the sense that he used to go to EVO at least to drown in pools a lot, and he was actually on his best behavior in person (to the degree where Punk was like "oh man he is like a completely different person in real life" at first, and then was back at "okay this dude is fake as hell" when LTG started raging usually the worst at punk, Smug, or Snake Eyez, and yes the reason why its usually these three in particular is an easy read).

just watched the video and holy poo poo he kept rebuying xboxes because he gets banned for ragequitting sf4 matches and pees in bottles

what a piece of work

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

In Training posted:

the esports industry is a scam top to bottom and should be destroyed

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lynx Winters posted:

If you like 2D platformers, shmups, and stuff like that, use your stick for basically anything you think it would work with. You'll get used to it real quick.
I can never reprogram my brain off of "arrow keys to move z/x to shoot/bomb for shmups

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

dhamster posted:

The game's been out a few years now, so losing a lot at first is totally normal when you hop online. If you find a character you like playing, learn a few of their bread and butter combos (e.g. for Ryu, I think now you can do his target combo into VS2 for big, easy damage), and practice anti-airing jumping opponents either with a dedicated special move like Shoryuken, or a high-hitting normal attack like Ryu's cr.HP. If you can do these two things consistently, you will lose much less often, and you can start adding more to your skillset as you play.

edit: also, if you want to post a replay of one or two of your online matches, we can probably give you some pointers.

I was doing a technique (which may or may not be an actual combo) where I was doing a jumping heavy punch, and then doing the crouching heavy punch, where I was able to score 3 or 4 hits. The issue I was having with Chun-Li was that I couldn't get the Spinning Bird Kick to execute half the time. I watched (part) of this video on charge moves/charge characters, and I learned that you can charge with the diagonals (thus you can duck and block at the same time). The issue I have is with the timing, where either hit the button too early, and do and kick, or too late, and do a jump.

I can try uploading a video, though I'm wondering if the game will run well with OBS. I tried taking a screenshot after one of the few online matches I did win when I first got the game, and it made the game crash. I dunno if it recorded the win, but it must confused the person on the other end that I beat them, then seemingly rage-quit.

Someone also suggested I drop SFV and play Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur VI instead (since I've bought both), and I might do that, but I want to play through the story mode first.

Pockyless posted:

Playing against other people is almost a completely different game than playing against the computer. The strategy and tactics to improve and ultimately win have nearly endless depth and there are a lot of resources available in addition to just playing a lot to help get better. I recommend the videos on Core-A channel as well presented explanations of many of these concepts:

https://youtu.be/riGCdE6ZPck

I think I watched that video along with some of the other videos Core-A did. They're pretty good.

MechaX posted:

I started watching that video a few hours ago, but had to drop it to go and get dinner.

I watched a couple of those clip compilations earlier, after I made my first post asking about LTG. There's a disturbing amount of them (some that are very recent), but I admit I did laugh at a couple, just because he just goes on these super-irate rants about people stream-sniping him (although I don't know how you stream-snipe someone in a fighting game).

I don't follow with the 'easy read' thing with Punk, Smug, and Snake Eyez, but maybe it's covered in the documentary.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wasnt LTG like #1 on the tetris 99 leaderboards too or something insane like that

and yeah dudes crazy and avoid him at all costs, all the dark vakyrie poo poo and stuff from the old days was enough for me

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Max Wilco posted:

I was doing a technique (which may or may not be an actual combo) where I was doing a jumping heavy punch, and then doing the crouching heavy punch, where I was able to score 3 or 4 hits. The issue I was having with Chun-Li was that I couldn't get the Spinning Bird Kick to execute half the time. I watched (part) of this video on charge moves/charge characters, and I learned that you can charge with the diagonals (thus you can duck and block at the same time). The issue I have is with the timing, where either hit the button too early, and do and kick, or too late, and do a jump.

I can try uploading a video, though I'm wondering if the game will run well with OBS. I tried taking a screenshot after one of the few online matches I did win when I first got the game, and it made the game crash. I dunno if it recorded the win, but it must confused the person on the other end that I beat them, then seemingly rage-quit.

Charge timing can be tricky, you will probably get better at it with practice. If you are having a hard time recording video you can share the replay ID from the in-game replay viewer.

quote:

Someone also suggested I drop SFV and play Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur VI instead (since I've bought both), and I might do that, but I want to play through the story mode first.

It's up to you. If SFV doesn't spark joy you can play something else, it's a pretty serviceable game to play if you're learning FGs though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Rewatching the SSJ4 Gogeta showcase, he has a huge toolkit, but now instead of UI Goku-tier I'm thinking he'll be a better Base Goku, which is more than fine. Building up Dragonballs is going to be a double-edged sword. Also:

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1368443800935231489

SSJ4 Gogeta will be available March 12th (and March 10th for those with early access).

Z Broly and Super Broly don't have a Dramatic Finish, do they? I don't remember seeing it

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/fffightinfacts/status/1368455924495552514

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

im just trying to imagine mortal kombat and injustice in that style :allears:

you need talented artists and animators to pull off the arcsys look so that won't be happening

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Rewatching the SSJ4 Gogeta showcase, he has a huge toolkit, but now instead of UI Goku-tier I'm thinking he'll be a better Base Goku, which is more than fine. Building up Dragonballs is going to be a double-edged sword. Also:

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1368443800935231489

SSJ4 Gogeta will be available March 12th (and March 10th for those with early access).

Z Broly and Super Broly don't have a Dramatic Finish, do they? I don't remember seeing it

z broly has 2 dramatic finishes, one with ssj goku and one with adult gohan. super broly has one with blue gogeta. Unless you meant ones where they win

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They mean one with each other. This is the first time two characters from different series have a dramatic finish together and no Super and Z Broly don't have one with each other.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

I mean, most folks seem pretty convinced that UI Goku's the Top 1 character in the game, works in any character slot in any team, and basically his only weakness is that his offense can be safe or can have some vicious mixups but not both unless you have an assist, so he's slightly less preferable as anchor as the characters who shine there (while still being a better anchor then most of the cast because his defensive tools are just that good.) He's on a billion teams and the only reason he's not the most complained about character in the game is that Roshi's B assist still makes people mad salty and I'd be really surprised if he got past this point without getting some of that chipped at eventually.

Baby seemed insane at first but turned out to be pretty in line with a lot of the other stronger characters because it turns out his frame data wasn't stellar and a lot of the cast can just openly disrespect his attempted bullshit with superdashes/deflects/vanishes and his only answer besides assists is a random raw Level 3 on prediction, so I'd wait and see what SSJ4 is like when he actually hits to see if he's all that busted.

They nerfed Roshi's B assist last patch and a whole bunch of people dropped him instantly :v: The change was pretty small and both the character and B assist are still good though.

Max Wilco posted:

Isolate the part where you're messing up. Hold down back for a bit to get charge, do cr.HP and up + kick just after the second kick. Once you got that down comfortably, add in the jump in and remember that you can hold down/down while in the air to get charge.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

They mean one with each other. This is the first time two characters from different series have a dramatic finish together and no Super and Z Broly don't have one with each other.

Oh my b

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

anime was right posted:

also this really doesn't reflect on the greater picture of things but it's pretty funny that marns banned from league esports but not fighting game esports

How'd he get banned from league?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Early on Marn had a League team under his name as MRN and it washed out pretty quickly, and later the players say he was apparently incredibly corrupt and abusive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Marn became a thing after I stopped caring about Street Fighter so the only thing I know about him is that one episode of Excellent Adventures where he was talking about financially abusing his girlfriend and Mike and Gootecks looking like they wanted to be literally anywhere else at that moment.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jack Trades posted:

Marn became a thing after I stopped caring about Street Fighter so the only thing I know about him is that one episode of Excellent Adventures where he was talking about financially abusing his girlfriend and Mike and Gootecks looking like they wanted to be literally anywhere else at that moment.

I cannot forget his leg, it's the most cursed thing I've ever seen/known of in a competitive gaming environment and the thought of it gets worse year after year.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

I cannot forget his leg, it's the most cursed thing I've ever seen/known of in a competitive gaming environment and the thought of it gets worse year after year.

What's up with Marn's leg? I realise I could google but I'm kind of scared in case search results immediately shows a cursed image

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Artelier posted:

What's up with Marn's leg? I realise I could google but I'm kind of scared in case search results immediately shows a cursed image

Marns leg is harlequin baby tier

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Artelier posted:

I've only heard stories but apparently his leg was like infected or something to the point it was like wet and instead of staying home he decided to go to a tourney.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Artelier posted:

Hopefully it's no longer terrible, but he got some awful infection all the way up and down it and went to a competition with it like that, notably he rubbed it against other legs whilst playing (because tight confines). He also posted a picture of it to his twitter like, the same day or something, so people knew he was walking around with a leg that looks like a nightmare of blue marks and dying skin.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I know some people will go to extreme lengths to win a fighting game tourney but biological warfare is a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5QS4bIhDo

New GBVS character. Gun wielder.