Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

kastein posted:

drat that's a pretty decent laser. Who made it and what did you pay? What's the focal length on the cutting head? What are you gonna use it for?

(I used to work for an industrial fiber laser company, if you need any tech help, I've been through integrating those with motion control platforms, dealing with RFI issues, cutting head offset stuff, laser safety regulations and testing, etc etc etc. Feel free to post looking for answers on any of this if you need to.)

Raycus RFL-C1000, $1725 + shipping. Brand new in box. supposed retail $14k, china price seems to be about $6k. Quite the ebay snipe!
I will certainly lean on your experience!

The cutting head is a WSX SW15, 125 or 150mm focal length (waiting for confirmation) . That's going on a Staubli RX90 arm (another ebay special!). trying to figure out with my contractor if I can ceiling mount it.

The handheld head is the Qilin v8 . It's cool because it's bright purple. And it has a 2d galvo system, so I think with some futzing with the control software, I can make welds consisting of a series of tiny dickbutts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmv3g0dlSoI

Apart from cutting and welding, Laser Assisted Incremental Forming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e-FjlSMwB0, Selective Laser Melting/DMLS, Laser Cladding, and if I can find a cheap enough version of the LC1403S-L1, rust cleaning. :hellyeah:

Shark wise, I'm 1/2 a mile from the caribbean sea and the atlantic ocean, so I'm covered.

edit: my new favorite scifi looking laser gun

fins fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ooooo a galvo too! Nice, that'll be great for additive machining and laser marking.

Most of my experience is with IPG Photonics products (because I worked there), but I won't be surprised if a lot of the control interfaces are semi standardized or at least similar. Does the cutting head have capacitive standoff/height sensing, and/or focus length control? What size fiber did you get? That's an incredible price, too.

I can't stress how careful you need to be with the handheld thing and with laser safety in general on this - that thing will blind you in milliseconds and can very very easily cause second or third degree skin burns too most likely.

E: oh, looks like a fixed focal length head, though I haven't read the datasheet.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
to update on the eRatchet saga -

holy poo poo how did I live without this for so long.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, you can never go back now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's awesome because it doesn't move a nut especially fast, and it's still many times faster than you can do by hand.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, it's like cheat mode. I think one of my favorite uses is actually swapping toilets. Between the old house and the current place I've done 4 and the M12 ratchet spins down the anchor nuts like a dream.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I just used my first ratchet that didn’t come in a socket set, and holy poo poo. Also my first 90 tooth ratchet, which is also super nice.

https://www.tekton.com/flex-quick-release-ratchet-set-srh92103

Milwaukee ratchet is nice too, I’ve got the original and love it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, it's like cheat mode. I think one of my favorite uses is actually swapping toilets. Between the old house and the current place I've done 4 and the M12 ratchet spins down the anchor nuts like a dream.

Oh shoot, I gotta remember that one.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
totally cheat mode - I was looking for poo poo to take apart with it - it seems I always buy tools after I'm done with the task I really wanted it for in the first place

as far as standard ratchets I go between my "circle H" craftsman which were made between 1931 and 1947

which looks like this minus the bakelite handle (this one is super rare) mine just has a knurled metal grip:

its really a great ratchet - compact, easy to switch directions and the teeth arent as sloppy as you think they would be

and my modern craftsman professional for the tight areas where I need more clicks

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Ne...5097188&sr=8-14

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Not sure if this has been posted, but it certainly was (good) news to me: Makita 18V ratchet! DWR180 in Europe and Oceania, probably some other model name in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnGMwN49hxo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I’ve got one ordered. Downside for me is only having 5AH batteries. I’ll have to acquire some 2AH slims.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
na version - https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XRW01...15241014&sr=8-3

having just ordered a red team one with battery and charger for less money than this one alone, I'm... kinda ok with that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LobsterboyX posted:

na version - https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XRW01...15241014&sr=8-3

having just ordered a red team one with battery and charger for less money than this one alone, I'm... kinda ok with that.
Better broke than red :colbert:

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I bought a Koken ratchet + socket socket a month or so back, and was unprepared for what arrived. The knurling was really nice, and the stamped steel box was like a step back in time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I guess this is as good a spot as any.
Are there any inch/fraction sizes of nuts and bolts below 1/4"?
I don't ever recall seeing anything below that, though I have never really looked. I need something in 3/16" size.
Is below 1/4" where things start getting in to number sizing? #6, #8, #10 etc?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

correct.

if you need 3/16 thread diameter, that's basically #10.
#10 is 0.19 in, 3/16=0.1875 should be close enough.

standard hex size for #10 is 3/8 wrench or socket.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There are technically #12, #14, and 3/16 and I think 1/8 fasteners but they are extremely rare and honestly anyone who uses them in a design deserves the pain in the rear end it will cause them eventually. Normally it goes from #10 to 1/4 as far as I know.

There is a 3/16 in AN hardware because aircraft weight is expensive enough to justify its existence where it's strong enough and saves weight vs an AN4 (1/4) fastener.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Any of you guys in to numbered drill bits? Whats the deal with them? I have an ages old chart that shows the cross overs and I bought a cool old numbered bit holder with no bits, its been kicking around my garage for so long and today I started thinking about buying a cheap set of numbered bits to fill it - my drill bit selection is all over the board, I have a few really nice sets that are fractional and in their own boxes and then a drawer full of ones I use and abuse that are just arranged by size from various cheapo sets I've bought over the years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LobsterboyX posted:

Any of you guys in to numbered drill bits? Whats the deal with them? I have an ages old chart that shows the cross overs and I bought a cool old numbered bit holder with no bits, its been kicking around my garage for so long and today I started thinking about buying a cheap set of numbered bits to fill it - my drill bit selection is all over the board, I have a few really nice sets that are fractional and in their own boxes and then a drawer full of ones I use and abuse that are just arranged by size from various cheapo sets I've bought over the years.

When you get to small, precise hole sizes the fractional sizing system doesn't work anymore, imperial measurements being what they are, someone decided it would be easier to number the bits than give their size in thou.

The only time I've seen specific sizes called out is for using them as ghetto go/no-go gauges to judge orifice size, but I Am Not A Machinist.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i've heard of F being used as a slight oversized reamer for getting 1/4" pins to fit without needing to be pressed. i think the letters are for when they ran out of gauge numbers?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

There are technically #12, #14, and 3/16 and I think 1/8 fasteners but they are extremely rare and honestly anyone who uses them in a design deserves the pain in the rear end it will cause them eventually. Normally it goes from #10 to 1/4 as far as I know.

There is a 3/16 in AN hardware because aircraft weight is expensive enough to justify its existence where it's strong enough and saves weight vs an AN4 (1/4) fastener.

#12-24 is a pretty common size for rack hardware

i know ive seen it elsewhere, cause when i worked at a surplus store and people would come in asking for it, i would point them towards the rack hardware

LobsterboyX posted:

i have some, just because i got a pretty complete set, but i use them rarely. i think tap charts are the only place ive had the number/letter bits come up

if you can spend like $5 on a loaded index of them i recommend it :shobon:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

I use them all the time, and spec their use in parts. Number, letter, fractional, metric... All get used.

They're used for clearance sizes, tap drills, under/over size pins, etc. If you go much tapping, you'll get used to seeing them called out. If it's a soft material, I'm going to try to get more thread depth, if it's hard, I'll oversize the drill hole a bit. There's charts for all of this stuff.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I bought a cheapo cheap harbor freight drill set with all the letter and number types because i got tired of the "wiggle the drill" method of making holes slightly larger than standard fractional sizes.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Does anyone have any experience with these cheaper fab tables? I'm in need of a decent table for welding and fixturing. But I also need something that can moved around easily. This one is nice because you can make it be very short so it can sit on my other metal table.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

i think tap charts are the only place ive had the number/letter bits come up

It's this. My former machineist buddy has....well everything and this is the most common thing I've seen them called out for, followed by:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i've heard of F being used as a slight oversized reamer for getting 1/4" pins to fit without needing to be pressed. i think the letters are for when they ran out of gauge numbers?

Yeah, friction/interference fits. But I believe that the "wrong" way to do it, and you're supposed to use a reamer. But who's got a full set of those?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

Yeah, friction/interference fits. But I believe that the "wrong" way to do it, and you're supposed to use a reamer. But who's got a full set of those?

Using drills to get precise holes is wrong because drills tend to drill a little oversized. That's totally fine if you're trying to land within a few thou of a target, but you want a reamer if you're trying to hit a tenth.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

It's this. My former machineist buddy has....well everything and this is the most common thing I've seen them called out for, followed by:

Machinists. Either that or a boring bar.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Raluek posted:

#12-24 is a pretty common size for rack hardware

i know ive seen it elsewhere, cause when i worked at a surplus store and people would come in asking for it, i would point them towards the rack hardware

i have some, just because i got a pretty complete set, but i use them rarely. i think tap charts are the only place ive had the number/letter bits come up

if you can spend like $5 on a loaded index of them i recommend it :shobon:

Oh yeah, you're right. Whoops.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
IME you usually have reamers on hand that bracket your different common pin sizes for certain fits and get ones for specific jobs otherwise, like I'd have reamers for any fit I wanted around 1/8 1/4 8 etc pins but if a job needed a .4385 +/- .0003 hole I'd have to order something.

And yeah once it's big enough you get the boring head out but tiny boring bars are a loving pain compared to reamers and need to be run in vs grab and go (generally).

Also generally I wouldn't trust a drill for anything tighter than +/- .01 unless it's a good sharp drill in a machining center, big box drills in a drill press are like +/-.025 sometimes.

If you want really fun sets of stuff I used to have a set of gauge pins from like 0.1 to 0.5 in .0002 increments for inspecting holes that were too much of a pain to get a dial bore gauge into, and normal bore gauges suck in low clearance operations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thread has definitely covered this before, but what do people like for steel toe work boots?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
realllllllly touchy topic - for me, I wouldn't go any other way than Thorogood - I've had Redwings, really great boots, but I prefer the Thorogood for comfort and quality. I'm a casual user and I don't own any steel toes anymore because I simply don't need that kind of protection anymore, but when I did, they were Thorogoods

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

The thread has definitely covered this before, but what do people like for steel toe work boots?

It's very personal. Everyone has a favorite and horror stories.

I'm a redwing guy, but only a single model fits me well. I've got small ankles, which rules out most boots. I wear mine between 10 and 18 hours a day. When I worked on boats, I was in mine between 18 and 24 hours a day.

Other brands worth looking at: Carolina, Danner, Chippewa, Ariat, Thorogood... Probably others. Do not buy them at Wal-Mart or a big box store. Go to a stop that carries working gear or only sells boots. Redwing has their own stores, and they know what they're doing in general.

You'll need to try on a ton to find something that actually fits. A big thing is to make sure that the edge of the steel doesn't rub anywhere. They do take some time to fully break in, but the steel won't move. Another big factor is insoles. The ones that come in boots are very cheap and flat. I run aggressive ones from redwing with a deep heel cup and high arch support, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Redwing stores have a measuring system that you stand on, and it'll show where you put pressure and if your arches are fallen. I dunno if they'd do it during the pandemic, but I sat down with a rep and literally tried on every pair of steel toe 6" boots in the store, many in 2 sizes and 2-3 widths. Even then, every time I bought new boots, I needed to try on a few sizes/widths to get the right fit, even though I was buying the same model number. One time, it's 10.5 EE, the next it's 11D.

Protip: buy a boot dryer from Peet or redwing. Also, be prepared to spend $200+. My current pair retail for $325, and the insoles were another $40. Tires, mattresses, and shoes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Protip: buy a boot dryer from Peet or redwing. Also, be prepared to spend $200+. My current pair retail for $325, and the insoles were another $40. Tires, mattresses, and shoes.

All of this.

And I've been buying Carolinas for the last....dunno...while. Used to be Danners but the last couple of pairs I got felt cheaper and fell apart quicker so I switched. That could have been a model-specific thing, I dunno. But always buy at a work clothes/uniform shop to avoid "badge engineered" versions of things like this.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Everything above, and seconding Thorogoods. I've got some 8" moc toes I got a few months ago to replace the 6" pair that lasted me 5 years (went through a lot of insoles though). I'm glad I got the 8" for what I'm doing now, but the 6" were better for what I was doing when I bought them (flat rate auto repair)

If you're doing a lot of concrete-standing, wedge soles are a must IMO

Pro tip for any work boot: experiment with different lacing methods to optimize the fit. I use what's called a "heel-lock" I think. Waxing your laces can help keep them tied and laced properly too

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had wolverines and well as redwing which have both been good. Just don't get a waterproof shoe unless you absolutely need to. I did that once and it was an odor nightmare, I nearly had to keep them outside.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

I've had wolverines and well as redwing which have both been good. Just don't get a waterproof shoe unless you absolutely need to. I did that once and it was an odor nightmare, I nearly had to keep them outside.

BOOT. DRYER.
Seriously. It works wonders. I keep mine in the bottom of my closet, and my wife (who is very sensitive to smells) doesn't mind. Once in a while, she'll mention that she can smell it, but that's usually in the dead of summer when they're soaked in sweat. Another pro tip, buy 2 pairs of you're wearing them 18+ hours a day, and rotate them onto the dryer.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice all. Already have a boot dryer so that helps since I think I do need waterproof. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some time at the boot place.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have to alternate pairs to avoid trench foot in the summer. I don’t have a dryer though. I also highly recommend throwing all your cotton socks away and wearing wool ones, just generally but especially if you have stinky dogs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Big Taint posted:

I also highly recommend throwing all your cotton socks away and wearing wool ones, just generally.

This is a pro tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wool ones need babying when washing them or they shrink.