Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Had anyone made an elaborate track for their furnaces to make everything roll to one location?

I'm doing the mushroom method so everything dumps in to a trough but I'm curious if there is an over-engineered design people like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What is it that my boat keeps hitting in the middle of nowhere? I'm out in open water, see no obstacles below, yet the boat keeps getting hit for 10 damage and was nearly destroyed. It seems to happen wherever I am.
There are definitely bugs to do with crossing certain coordinates or biome boundaries and the function for the waves hitching. You can see here it's from crossing some invisible boundary.

https://i.imgur.com/GhlGZNt.mp4
I believe smaller instances of this that aren't so visually obvious will also "slam" water into your boat even if it's smooth sailing and thus make you take damage from nothing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Ugh I have a very long way to get back to my corpse :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I think they can eventually go wild again too, either with hunger or not being present. I initially made a house right next to the standing stones and had been using that as a base, including a hogfarm, then ran off into the woods and built myself a walled in logging/mining base. After exploring the woods for awhile I came back and the hogs were wild again.

Is there any reason not to use the stones as my nexus for a portal network? And is there any reason not to make a portal network anyway?

E: so far I've made those two bases and I think I'll try to turn the stones into a hub/tavern/port thing now that I have some ability to terraform with pickaxes and hoes, but not really doing too much manufacturing there. If I'm not near a base, will it get attacked? And will I eventually be able to get defenses that stop trolls? And do I actually need to build walls everywhere anyway?

Never had my domesticated hogs go wild. Even when I go back to our of base with a pen of no-star boars they seem tame, even though we're like 200 days and and only visit that island to turn in bosses. I suppose your pigs walked off or got killed and random wild boars were just around. Sometimes the boars breed out of control or the babies sneak through gaps and I find random domesticated boars outside my pen. Granted my pen is an old base I turned into pig house.

Using the stones is the same idea I had, but you are not able to build or mess with anything in a certain areas close to them. You could still build a hub town if you wanted, but it would have to be around a medium radius around the thing.

"Invasions" only happen where you are, they can spawn at even fledgling outposts or under-construction areas outside your "main" base. You have defenses to manage trolls now, via log walls or ditch digging, or heck, an ugly nest of fallen logs can screw up pathing for trolls so they can't ever get near really.

You never *have* to build a fence. However, I always do. I cannot handle the annoyance of those drat tree perverts coming out of the woodwork every time I swing a hammer, axe, or pick. Just spent the morning carving down a mountain for stone to build a solid stone wall around our newest town addition. After some wolf deaths and corpse runs, returned home to find a greyling inside out castle, enjoying 14 comfort while it slashes at who knows what. This is why this whole castle was originally sealed unless you jumped a gap.

Now their only egress is through this bit of unfinished wall near my buddy's parasite tree-castle growing from mine.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Ugh I have a very long way to get back to my corpse :(

My condolences man. You need help with body recovery?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea I've never had pigs revert, I still find them occassionally roaming the woods near an old base of mine

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Retrowave Joe posted:

My condolences man. You need help with body recovery?

Nah, I have my backup karve and some food. Should be landing soon and have resources for a portal. Just felt like an idiot when I died before I could place it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khanstant posted:

This is why this whole castle was originally sealed unless you jumped a gap.

What do you do for cart access? I built a ramshackle drawbridge by putting some 2x2 flooring over the moat in front of the main gate, and I can reach it from the archer tower to break it if we get a bad raid. There is probably something better!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

gently caress. Wanted to do as pure of a vanilla experience as possible. But I got Valheim Plus just to have infinite torches, because I like to have little portal units in the overworld and don't want them to be unlit if I run to them 2 ingame weeks later. Then I just increased the inventory size, you know, just a little. Then I disabled the workbench roof requirement because that loving sucks and and and...

This thing is going to be more modded than my 80 mod Stardew file by the end of this, isn't it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

What do you do for cart access? I built a ramshackle drawbridge by putting some 2x2 flooring over the moat in front of the main gate, and I can reach it from the archer tower to break it if we get a bad raid. There is probably something better!

To be honest I couldn't find a use for the cart, even before portals it doesn't seem much worth it.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
So mid game, post bronze tip.

I was getting my rear end kicked sailing long distances, dying, then having to build a large to get back.
When you’ve got your main Sutling cores economy up, build incremental waypoints as you sail. Every half day or so, find a beach or island, drop a toolbench and a portal. You don’t even need a return portal! Just mark it in the map, with whatever you named it. (Make sure it’s unique). If you ever get smoked, have a recovery portal at your base that you link to the nearest recovery point, throw a Karve in your pocket, and recover.

Especially with how slow boat mechanics are, this was keeping me from rage quitting when getting thrashed by an errant deathsquito or poison attack.

(And if that’s too much work, there is a fly mode you can enable to get back to your corpse. Because gently caress sailing across the seven seas nude just to recover your A-lost equipment.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there anything worse in this game than prepping for a perfect parry and someone sprints in spamming melee attacks and pushing the mob 69 yards away and you don't even get a hit in?

edit - also the mad dash when returning to base to stuff the 7 resin you got into the torches before anyone else does or you're forced to walk to the beach and throw it in the ocean.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 7, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I have a few doors/gates to get in, or I'll just knock down thhe wall, if it's an area with a permanent stonecutter and not just a portable one I lugged around. Honestly getting the cart of silver up this castle hill was the start of the "greylings can get inside problem". I built a little ramp using 26 degree roofs and smooth out too much terrain.

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I couldn't find a use for the cart, even before portals it doesn't seem much worth it.

I mostly used em after portals, a ton today just hauling rocks back to my wall project from our nearby quarry, but it was also the only way to empty a tomb-load of ore in one trip and lol I'm not making 20 trips back and forth from the mountain to home for ore either. I think it's also a nice change of pace gameplay, especially with a buddy and you alternating making yourselves a cart path, while also dealing with the harassment and danger of cart breaking. Processing on-site is possible, copper/tin are common enough you can set up metal manufacture anywhere but we always need a stockpile back at the capital and making GBS threads out a cart is better than stripping to power-belt only to do multiple hauls.

xzzy posted:

Is there anything worse in this game than prepping for a perfect parry and someone sprints in spamming melee attacks and pushing the mob 69 yards away and you don't even get a hit in?

edit - also the mad dash when returning to base to stuff the 7 resin you got into the torches before anyone else does or you're forced to walk to the beach and throw it in the ocean.

Is that an etiquette thing for 3+ player servers? We leave that poo poo on the lawn, like glittering lawn ornaments and inventory cluttering traps. Plus instead of looking in the junk drawer for amber and eyes, you can refill torches or build portals after a quick trip around the yard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cart just seems useless compared to boats, I just park the boat somewhere and then fill it up with metal and then sail it back wherever. You need to do that anyway to get the metal where you need it.

There just seems minimal reason to transport anything overland any distance, because the ocean is the primary form of travel so all your main bases should be on the coast.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Had anyone made an elaborate track for their furnaces to make everything roll to one location?

I'm doing the mushroom method so everything dumps in to a trough but I'm curious if there is an over-engineered design people like.

Ores are heavy and you'd have to cart them up multiple levels for any gravity related shenanigans. I don't think it's worth the effort.

If you could dig below the water table on the coast I'd be all about it though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Is that an etiquette thing for 3+ player servers? We leave that poo poo on the lawn, like glittering lawn ornaments and inventory cluttering traps. Plus instead of looking in the junk drawer for amber and eyes, you can refill torches or build portals after a quick trip around the yard.

Well there's no formal etiquette but everyone seems to hate the sparkles and we're all in a rush to get rid of the poo poo, so there's this informal race to use as much of it as we can on the torches so we don't have to think about disposal.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

LLSix posted:

How many bases do you usually build? My first couple of attempts at making a building were pretty ramshackle. I feel like I could do a lot better if I started over from scratch, but I've invested a lot of resources into my current base.

You can always rip up your existing base if you need to but honestly there's nothing wrong with just building elsewhere. Unless those resources are metal, everything else can be sourced a lot faster than you might think. Especially if you cart them through portals!

In my play through which cleared all content I made three major bases and two minor ones; of the major one the first, in the Meadows, was the "main" base where most of my development entered. I had two other major bases near a Swamp and in the Plains specifically to handle the production of the local metal. I found it easier to make some camps for handling metals on-site instead of trying to drag things across the world back home repeatedly. Silver was the only exception, because I entirely unintentionally set up my first base within running distance of a large mountain.

Other smaller bases were things like a FOB in the black forest where I prepared to cross the ocean to fight the Elder; I built out around a ruined tower on the coast, did some basic bronze production there, and used it far into the game as my quick source of core wood. I had small FOBs in other meadow biomes for fine wood and berries, and a resting spot on a mountain with a portal where I stored silver for later cart travel and vacated at night time.

The most important thing, I found, is to scout before making base decisions. My main base in the meadows was not my first base. Instead I explored the starting meadow biome until I found my perfect spot - open meadow, near the water, also near the black forest (but not too near to lure spawns). Similarly I scouted a few swamps until I found one with crypts, and that's the one I set down roots for. Same for the Plains; I wanted a big biome with lots of camps, and eyeballed a good spot from sailing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Carts are pretty great when setting up a new base and you need to haul in tons of lumber from the nearby forest, and for hauling iron out of the swamps to your boat, or for carrying silver down the mountains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, maybe I'm odd but I would much rather just carry an inventory load than faff with the cart.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the cart is fun when you're with a group because it lets you move out way further and congregate back at it before piling it all up and moving back to the boat

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You use carts when you can't take boats, you know, just like IRL. Sometimes the terrain doesn't work out and instead you have to build an outpost inland to access, like, a mountain biome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can sort of see the point with groups, perhaps

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm odd but I would much rather just carry an inventory load than faff with the cart.

I mean it's not like you take it every time, but sometimes

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The more you use the cart the more indispensable it becomes.

First I used it for collecting more then a single player carry weight of wood and stone when I was building up my base; it was extremely critical for moving iron out of the swamp in one trip instead of, like, seven; and I don't even want to know how we would have gotten sufficient silver off a mountain if we couldn't cart it, because silver is stupid heavy.

Although for that last bit the group I was playing with did have a pretty funny moment that we only heard about later. One of our group was playing alone and emptying a silver vein when a stone golem picked a fight to quite disastrous results; turns out golem swipes can move a cart pretty far if it hits them, and anyone who has explored a mountain is aware that some slopes can be... quite steep. So a few people woke up to discover the message A GOLEM YEETED OUR SILVER OFF THE MOUNTAIN in our discord channel.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really like the cart, I used it to transfer ore from my mountain base camp to my main base since I didn't want to build a new smelting setup. It was a lot of fun dragging that thing through the forest.

I am also in favour of the suggestion I saw earlier to let you build with mats from the cart directly. It would give it a good secondary use, and make building a lot more convenient.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you're playing solo then you could probably coast on not mining poo poo out completely. That said, I played in a group and a cart was important for moving enough metal for everyone to gear up with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

There just seems minimal reason to transport anything overland any distance, because the ocean is the primary form of travel so all your main bases should be on the coast.

I guess that's really up to playstyle, which in your case, doesn't like any of the bigger resource gathering components, or stockpile and inventory management aspects.

It's also up to map. We started on a teeny tiny meadow island and had to take a raft to get to nearest boss. The landmass that boss is on however is massive, and possibly even more massive than we have uncovered yet, given connecting landmasses only separated by rivers. We made our main camp on this island, then each tier grew out our base, keeping the old as village skeptics as we build out and up to our little castle town.

We only sailed since landing here because we wanted to sail. We've got swamps on this island, didn't explore em for anything but are aware of them - just wanted to get away from Pangaea for a while. Kind of want to peek at the full map on a side character because I would not be surprised if our megaisland had the next biome or two on it.

Sailing also personally is kind of frustrating if you're trying to go anywhere specific. If you're just like, gently caress it, let's go where the wind takes us, fine, spiral around until you see something and hope it's not just another side of your island, but with a specific direction you're just fighting against the wind half the time, and awkwardly going only kind of the right direction a quarter of it.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The cart just seems useless compared to boats, I just park the boat somewhere and then fill it up with metal and then sail it back wherever. You need to do that anyway to get the metal where you need it.

I had exactly the same opinion at first to tbh. But over the last two weeks I've really come around on them, although their use is really situational. Assembling one high up on a mountain to get all the silver down to the coast Cool Running's style is definitely one of them, and really tense/funny. But they're also handy in conjunction with a boat/portal if you're working a bit inland. My large base project has me mining stone/copper in mass, so being able to dump everything in a cart while doing multiple nodes as well as having a cart right on the other side of the portal is super handy. First because you can take 1000 stone thru the portal and dump in right in a cart in your base (which can also be moved over to what ever area I'm working on), and secondly because you can just keep digging without running out to the coast every time you're full up on copper. I've also actually used the cart as the primary transport for some crypts very close by, and some mining close to base but farther inland from the coast. Which as their intended purpose is the absolutely least they've been used/are good for.

I've got 3 of them serving as bulk wood/stone storage and another hold ore awaiting smelting. I'm thinking of building a couple more.

So they've got uses depending on your situation. Granted if you're not building a monument to viking excess these situations are a lot less common than mine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do collect a fair bit of resources I just do it by going out and filling an inventory. Having the belt is a big help which you can get quite easily with just bronze tier tomb loot, provided you find the merchant. But every time I tried to use the cart I found it faster to just do a couple of inventory filled runs because it's a big pain to move it over rough terrain, if you had a group I can see it being better because you could have other people to do the fighting for you but trying to manage the cart, fighting stuff off, and collect all at the same time is more trouble than it's worth. Even if you have to row against the wind it's still faster than dragging the cart, and I only do that for metal anyway and swamps are basically designed to be reached by boat because they're all sea level and you can scout for tombs from the coast, mountains I can't even begin to imagine trying to navigate with the cart, and forests are still very awkward just with the trees and rocks everywhere and endless hordes of gribblers pouring out of every hole in the dirt to take a swing at it. For anything other than metal I just portal there, I already have outposts in a bunch of biomes so I just go to the forest portal and make it not forest if I want wood.

Plus even if I do use the cart I still have to do multiple trips through the portal at the other end so it's still a faff. I dunno, I would probably like it if it functioned like a mobile workbench/stonecutter, or if it let you draw resources from it to build, might be useful as a mobile building aid.

Also let me stuff carts through portals or something, or at least the resources.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 7, 2021

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

So they've got uses depending on your situation. Granted if you're not building a monument to viking excess these situations are a lot less common than mine.

I mean if you're not building a monument to viking excess then what are you even doing here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am almost finished with the first stage of the viking monument as it happens, looking forward to posting it.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Take a longboat, get a bunch of harpoons and have your buddies drag your base in carts across the ocean

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I prep roads. It's rough at times but it's honest work and pays off when I can take a cart into the forest or whatever to clear-cut a patch of the woods and take it home for whatever building project I got in mind.

That said, an upgraded cart that functioned as a mobile workshop/stonecutter/forge would kick so much rear end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you could put a howdah on a lox and ride it around throwing spears at the peasants and hauling cargo, also flattening trees, I would definitely do that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have replaced one of our ogre's wooden prosthetics with a new arm.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Meiteron posted:

I mean if you're not building a monument to viking excess then what are you even doing here

I'm not gonna judge people for playing the game how they want to. Even if they are playing it wrong.

OwlFancier posted:

mountains I can't even begin to imagine trying to navigate with the cart

It loving sucks. But less than trying to walk everything down when you got 5 veins clustered right near the top of a huge mountain. Hacking out a quick path the the closest sheer drop, riding the cart down, and then sailing the boat over to the far side of the island was still infinitely faster than making what would have been 20 trips up and down on foot.

edit:

OwlFancier posted:

If you could put a howdah on a lox and ride it around throwing spears at the peasants and hauling cargo, also flattening trees, I would definitely do that.

omfg, yes please

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

It loving sucks. But less than trying to walk everything down when you got 5 veins clustered right near the top of a huge mountain. Hacking out a quick path the the closest sheer drop, riding the cart down, and then sailing the boat over to the far side of the island was still infinitely faster than making what would have been 20 trips up and down on foot.

See I've been getting down dead easy, you can just sprint down the slopes and it's fine, and you can portal back up, which is the other nice thing.

I guess you can portal cart parts up and then just walk back down with it.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

See I've been getting down dead easy, you can just sprint down the slopes and it's fine, and you can portal back up, which is the other nice thing.

I guess you can portal cart parts up and then just walk back down with it.

Oh ya, you'd have to been 100% insane to try and drag a cart UP the mountain, even empty. With out going into a long story, the rng blessed me with a cluster of veins, and hosed me by putting them on the worst possible side of the mountain.

Mostly what I'm trying to bring to cart chat is agreement that they're mostly useless, but also on occasion really really useful time savers. I discounted them for too long until I got into the ship/portal/cart combo mindset. You don't always need all three but, I think a lot of people try them at the start of the bronze age and write them off because they suck and forget they exist.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Uhhh, I just got back to my far away corpse and longship but my portal I created isn't connected to my home base's portal... ffffuuuck what's going on? Pretty sure I didn't change the tag and I'm not using the wrong one (I don't have any other portals).

*edit* Corrected my sentence there - my portal isn't connecting.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Two portals with no tag will connect to each other.