Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Len posted:

I didn't say I didn't talk to them

I just don't give a poo poo about what any of them have to say because I don't care

I dunno dude judging from your Mario 64 experience I think talking to NPCs is more your speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

nrook posted:

Thanks to the posters who told me how to buy Japanese games on the e-shop.

I've got another question. I'm looking for recommendations on a game I can play for 15-30 minutes and make meaningful progress before I go to sleep. In other words, these are my requirements:

• Reasonably long (50h+); lots of content ("grindy" is okay)
  • Low stakes: not a game like Into the Breach where a single mistake can squander an hour of progress
  • Action shouldn't be too intense (something like Mario Odyssey is fine, but not, like, Hollow Knight or Celeste)

Previous games I've played that have been good for this are Hyrule Warriors DE, Disgaea 5 and Stardew Valley. And picross, actually, but I'm not interested in more picross right now.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace. It’s essentially a jrpg with all the filler cut out. No random battles, no dungeons, no exploring a town talking to npcs. You just have the world map and a bunch of nodes. Each node will have an event, with a couple lines of dialogue, maybe a choice to make, and probably a fight. Sometimes choices will come up further down the line in a later event, sometimes they’re totally standalone. It’s basically just tons of bite-sized nuggets of gameplay. The combat system is fantastic, it’s one of, maybe the best turn based jrpgs on the console.

The translation is well done with a good sense of humor, and unlike most SaGa games the ingame documentation is really thorough and clear, so you don’t need to look stuff up online to understand how things work.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm playing smash Bros for the first time in a couple of years and I think my copy is bugged because all I can hear is "prominence revolt" over and over and over??

Frankston fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 6, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I dunno dude judging from your Mario 64 experience I think talking to NPCs is more your speed.

Check my post history, I had some opinions on it making me talk to Toads

it was bad

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

b_d posted:

action is pretty intense. more than celeste i’d say

I would strongly disagree. I found Celeste much harder and more frustrating than Hades.

mancalamania posted:

Is this a troll or is this thread completely losing its mind? The action is definitely intense and fast-paced even if it gets easier over time, and being a roguelite it's definitely a game where one bad battle could ruin up to 60 minutes of progress. This is obviously softened by the metaprogression and plot elements, but I think this poster is specifically NOT looking for a roguelite here.

As for an actual recommendation for nrook, how about Stardew Valley? Super long with lots of content, very relaxing, easy to play in tiny chunks, very low stakes, and the action is limited to one little slow-paced dungeon you can come back to at whatever pace you want.

The other rec I would give is Mario + Rabbids. You mentioned Into the Breach so I assume you like strategy games and Mario + Rabbids is secretly the best strategy game on the system. I think I got ~30-40 hours out of it and then another ~10 with the DLC.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is also pretty solid and has way more content although the difficulty curve in the game is a bit wacky and the default settings in that game cause the stakes to be very high due to permadeath (this can be turned off but a lot of people think that makes the game boring).

No I'm not trolling. Dying in Hades does not ruin your progression, since dying advances the other characters' stories and the resources you gather for permanent upgrades will make the next run easier. It's a downward slopping difficulty curve. They can start a run, die somewhere on that run, talk to the characters, buy some upgrades for the next try tomorrow, and then go to bed.

If OP wants something closer to Stardrew Valley then Animal Crossing: New Horizons would be a good fit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do people keep saying that Samsung must be happy that Nintendo is buying their OLED screens in a tone that they are just sitting in a warehouse? Is OLED a flop technology or something?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do people keep saying that Samsung must be happy that Nintendo is buying their OLED screens in a tone that they are just sitting in a warehouse? Is OLED a flop technology or something?

No, OLED is great. It's going to be awesome for Samsung because the Switch is selling like gangbusters.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Len posted:

Check my post history, I had some opinions

it was bad

Can confirm

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So regarding tracking animals to take photos of them in a way Pokémon Snap doesn’t offer, my brother in law suggested a game called Nuts in which you have to track and photograph squirrels. I’m going to buy it and check it out.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
missed if this got posted already but Sea of Solitude is getting a Directors Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqxC6_Tby8

It looks cool but I didn't ever play it, is it any good and potentially worth getting on the switch?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Len posted:

Check my post history, I had some opinions on it making me talk to Toads

it was bad

like 2 toads have stars, why is talking to them for 5 seconds bad

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Did anyone get Windbound in the end? Did the updates add much? I was tempted until the initial reviews

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
800gb of my 1tb sd filled up lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

robot roll call posted:

like 2 toads have stars, why is talking to them for 5 seconds bad

because a whole bunch have nothing to say or care about

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

there's like 5 toads in the whole game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

nrook posted:

I've got another question. I'm looking for recommendations on a game I can play for 15-30 minutes and make meaningful progress before I go to sleep. In other words, these are my requirements:

• Low stakes: not a game like Into the Breach where a single mistake can squander an hour of progress
  • Action shouldn't be too intense (something like Mario Odyssey is fine, but not, like, Hollow Knight or Celeste)

Previous games I've played that have been good for this are Hyrule Warriors DE, Disgaea 5 and Stardew Valley. And picross, actually, but I'm not interested in more picross right now.

Already stated, but you are describing Hades.

It will take 50+ hours to see all the content.
Each run is probably 30 mins or less on average.
There are 4 boss fights that can be stressful. This can be mitigated by turning on God Mode which essentially makes you take less damage and scales up with each death. Also, once you get used to it, the first 3 boss fights aren't too bad.

Alternately: Ace Attorney trilogy. You can easily play in 30 minute bursts. It has regular save points and you can save at any time. It's over 50 hours to finish the 3 games. I dunno about low stakes because if you fail, your client goes to prison or might face the death penalty or something. Much of the games are pretty chill, though some of the trials get intense when you can't make a mistake (or you have to reload a save.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rimusutera posted:

missed if this got posted already but Sea of Solitude is getting a Directors Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqxC6_Tby8

It looks cool but I didn't ever play it, is it any good and potentially worth getting on the switch?

Imagine EA trying to make a game with a surreal indie vibe and failing utterly

I posted this like two pages ago :mad:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The action in hades is pretty intense.

I'm stuck in the caverns in dead cells. There's a jump off a bridge where there's another bridge up and to the right, but a roof over where I'm jumping from. I can't get the height to get up to the next part and I've got nowhere else to go. Apparently it's a common place to get stuck?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Imagine EA trying to make a game with a surreal indie vibe and failing utterly

Oh... oh, dear.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

robot roll call posted:

there's like 5 toads in the whole game

You cannot make me talk to a toad. I won't do it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

You cannot make me talk to a toad. I won't do it.

Didn't get very far in Super Mario RPG then, huh?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Not sure how many Metroid fans are in this thread but I just beat Metroid: Zero Mission for the first time! I have to say this game may end up being my favorite in the whole series.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Geo Fixer posted:

Not sure how many Metroid fans are in this thread but I just beat Metroid: Zero Mission for the first time! I have to say this game may end up being my favorite in the whole series.

It's for sure top 3. Have you played Fusion yet?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Geo Fixer posted:

hell yeah, i like fusion more but zero is good too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Geo Fixer posted:

I think I like Super just a little bit more but Zero Mission is absolutely top tier Metroid. The controls are a little better in ZM too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That giant spider is Fusion can go to hell, but other than that it might be the Metroid game I've finished the most. It was also what got me into the series

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Len posted:

That giant spider is Fusion can go to hell, but other than that it might be the Metroid game I've finished the most. It was also what got me into the series

That boss gave me a lot of trouble back in the day

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The action in Hades is Intense but it is not particularly difficult. I found Celeste way outside of my particular skillset and I beat The White Palace & Path of Pain in Hollow Knight (which i also beat).

Like, Hades has a bullet hell element in later levels (levels you might not reach for 5-10 hours of gameplay, even) but just slowly unlocking and exploring the first two zones is a bunch of slow durdling melee combat and occasionally some wizards, and the game is piecing out more powers and abilities and meta-progressions the entire time, unlike Hollow Knight, which is just smashing your balls in a vice or Celeste which just demands that you be EXACTLY this good!

Hades is the kind of game I would recommend to someone who didn't normally play video games, it really is that easy to play. By the time the action is "intense" you're ready for it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

nrook posted:

Mario X Rabbids

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bust Rodd posted:

Hades is the kind of game I would recommend to someone who didn't normally play video games, it really is that easy to play. By the time the action is "intense" you're ready for it.

Yeah my wife and I bought Hades at the same time and her Switch had mostly been Crossing Animals of late but she played on God Mode, I played on Hell Mode, and we both progressed through the overall game at about the same point.

But we had different bits of juicy drama to gossip over. It was surprisingly social in that regard.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Geo Fixer posted:

Good stuff! It's not my favorite but I still like it a whole lot, just find it a bit too twitchy for my liking and the Robo Ridley finish is a bit lame, but it's bar none the ideal way to experience Metroid 1!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Thanks for the recommendations all! Some games that I dropped off of (Mario x Rabbids is good, so why did I stop playing it?) and some I had never heard of. And Hades for some reason. But I respect your love for Hades and dedication to recommending it at all times. In that respect it is truly the Dark Souls of roguelites.

Now back to finding all those drat hidden hearts so I can finally play 8B.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

BisterdDave posted:

It's for sure top 3. Have you played Fusion yet?

Fusion was actually the first Metroid game I ever owned/beat! It was one of my childhood favorites!

Geo Fixer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 7, 2021

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

bladeworksmaster posted:

Good stuff! It's not my favorite but I still like it a whole lot, just find it a bit too twitchy for my liking and the Robo Ridley finish is a bit lame, but it's bar none the ideal way to experience Metroid 1!

Yeah I agree on the Robo-Ridley boss fight. Overall I still love the game, I just wish Samus Returns was as good as Zero Mission.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Could go for Hades Picross.
Down for romance picross.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The article (or the reporter in a separate tweet, I forget) mentioned the specific type of OLED screen is older/cheap.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d be worried about burn in honestly, if the upgrade is just oled I’d hold onto my current switch for dear life.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

my source says it will be a 4:3 CRT screen

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
My source says it'll be labo required, and in red and black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

japtor posted:

The article (or the reporter in a separate tweet, I forget) mentioned the specific type of OLED screen is older/cheap.

How old and cheap are we talking? Like Vita OLED?