Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

It is intentionally going for an 80s version of cyberpunk. That was definitely a mistake outside of the pretty decent aesthetics.

It's not only going for an intentional version of cyberpunk, that version is Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk tabletop RPG which doesn't even feature much Gibson influence initially (because Maximum Mike hadn't read it when he did the first edition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Disco existed in the early 60's and lasted to the 70's, you cannot put it in the future! You will regret this!!!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People complain about how much fantasy is stuck in the lord if the rings mold all the time

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

That's not being said in favor of CDPR, it's more that if they manage to do another Super Duper Cut or whatever with the bugs ironed out, a ton of gamers are gonna try and memory hole the issues of before, like they've already done before.

The people that previously did this for their previous games left the company. Even if they fix the issues with the game, the game is still kinda mid and boring. I also doubt they will add any real AI to the cars in the open world.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vagabundo posted:

It's based on an existing source material. You can't do a CyberPunk game without setting it in an 80's dystopian future in which Night City exists. It's part and parcel to the property.

It's like complaining that Lord of the Rings is set in Middle Earth.

Uh... you can absolutely adapt source material though? Cyberpunk doesn't have to be stuck in the 80's to still be Cyberpunk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The part that gets me most about cyberpunk's world is that while yeah, it is an 80's cyberpunk setting; it's been visually overhauled to be a modern 80's cyberpunk setting. So it feels weirdly divorced and detached from how a more classic cyberpunk setting would feel (often noted by retrofuturism and lack of modern convenience like cellphones) which kind of leaves it feeling really just bland and kind of corporate, ironically. Like the sci-fi settings you see in movies like the robocop remake where everything is sleek and cool and all the technology is super rad and awesome, and it's pretty much just a utopia; but also everyone's just poor because it's a dystopia and everyone has to be poor and lovely because dystopia.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think you can totally adapt aesthetics of 80's cyberpunk but you have to update a lot of... antiquated... aspects of it or else you get everything that happened with Cyberpunk's pre-release.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If you were updating a modern cyberpunk aesthetic, Ironically I think you will see a lot more ref faire or fantasy inspired clothing choices.

Maybe this is something that Shadowrun covers but I can see as technology gets more and more advances, you see a growing subculture of paganism and fantasy aesthetic. Just look at the rise of people who consider themselves witches. Or like a revival of stuff you saw in the Spiritualism movement during the victorian era

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 7, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I miss the 90s grunge cyberpunk dystopia style. Evil corporate style slowly giving away to aimlessness.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i loving hate shadowrun

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigRed0427 posted:

If you were updating a modern cyberpunk aesthetic, Ironically I think you will see a lot more ref faire or fantasy inspired clothing choices.

Maybe this is something that Shadowrun covers but I can see as technology gets more and more advances, you see a growing subculture of paganism and fantasy aesthetic. Just look at the rise of people who consider themselves witches. Or like a revival of stuff you saw in the Spiritualism movement during the victorian era

honestly. idk why we haven't gotten some weird change in fashion in real life yet. i want those weird clothes from deus ex HR or loving mass effect suits. weird sorta future poo poo. some weird cyberpunk mixed with renaissance or some poo poo. i feel like the 80s came and never left.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly. idk why we haven't gotten some weird change in fashion in real life yet. i want those weird clothes from deus ex HR or loving mass effect suits. weird sorta future poo poo. some weird cyberpunk mixed with renaissance or some poo poo. i feel like the 80s came and never left.

my dude have you heard of techwear

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Because old people won't die fast enough.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What were the big fashion changes bewteen 2000 to now? Jinco jeans coming and going?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

Only 30 minutes into the Cyberpunk video, but leave it to Noah to just completely cut through the bullshit discourse and get to the critical heart of the matter. Even if everything here was working as intended with no bugs and more focused gameplay, it still doesn't change the fact that the dystopia being presented is decades out of date at the point. It's just a buffet of classic cyberpunk themes and visuals without any attempt to actually update any of it for a modern audience who isn't even going to blink at a 20th century/early 21st century depiction of capitalism run amok. We're already loving living it.

well part of that problem is that Poundsmith source books is from 1988-90s and they are pretty much a grab bag of poo poo he loved mixed with his own interested ideas. i like the worldbuilding and poo poo even if its not the greatest.

i like 2077 but my biggest issue with it that its not enough like the Witcher 3 because while flawed mechanicaly, witcher 3 is just amazing storywise and it isnt afraid to hold back from dark stuff but also isnt afraid to weird and wonderful and funny. i feel like witcher 3, venture bros as a video game. it has its flaws and problamatic elements and the premise is sorta weird parody but when it touches you, it touches you and it makes you care. 2077 has those moments, the issue is, instead of weird little stories that are either funny or sad or weird or tie into other poo poo. most of the game is just "raid warehouse with some story elements". its basicaly does a bunch of poo poo Ubisoft does, but doesn't make it work like ubisoft mostly does.

Sydin posted:

I am curious to see if CDPR can revive 2077 or if they just eventually dump it after a couple patches and move on to the next big project. No Man's Sky had a similar release where unrealistic expectations crashed against a game that released as an unfinished, buggy mess, but Hello Games then put years into rebuilding the game from the ground up such that it not only almost completely salvaged their studio's reputation, but NMS is actually a pretty good game these days.

maybe. i think the core game is fine/fun. it just needs way more quests and its open world gently caress ups fixed. i'll buy the "GOTY" edition someday probably. they made there money back in 10 minutes basicaly, so i dont think they have an excuse, especially since their future depends on it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 7, 2021

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Alaois posted:

my dude have you heard of techwear
the only reason people don't think techwear exists is because it's more expensive, and always will be more expensive, than a t-shirt and jeans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's cool that Mike Pondsmith got a AAA studio to ruin themselves making a lore-accurate version of his ttrpg books.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Finished the Noah video. I mostly agree. Though I think the corpo to nomad route works the best thematically. Him missing it being based on a IP is annoying sorta because I saw people making that mistake a lot and I actually like Noah because he usually knows that poo poo. Either way good stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 7, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I liked Cyberpunk 2077 okay. I thought some of the writing and characters were good.

I wish it had been better, though. I haven't touched it since finishing it, and that was about two months ago.

CDPR fumbled it pretty badly, but I don't think it's necessarily a sign the company is doomed to make bad games from now on. They did pretty well with the Witcher games (which I've not played yet), but those turned out pretty good, so maybe their next project will pan out better.

Also, I like the 80s/90s cyberpunk aesthetic.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Retro 80s cyberpunk is cool and I’m glad they didn’t meddle with that. I couldn’t care less if it’s seen as outdated or unrealistic or whatever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuebot posted:

Like the sci-fi settings you see in real life where everything is sleek and cool and all the technology is super rad and awesome, and it's pretty much just a utopia; but also everyone's just poor because it's a dystopia and everyone has to be poor and lovely because markets.
:hmmyes:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually adaptations can in fact...adapt source material.

Isn't Cyberpunk 2077 set (in-universe) decades after the tabletop RPG too?

Seems like that would be a good way to justify changing the aesthetic.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bakeneko posted:

Retro 80s cyberpunk is cool and I’m glad they didn’t meddle with that. I couldn’t care less if it’s seen as outdated or unrealistic or whatever.

Same here. If anything, it being an outdated view of the future adds to the cyberpunk charm.

Personally I'm enjoying CP2077, as glitchy as it sometimes can be. It did pleasantly surprise me that the story idea is being a person who is dealing with a terminal illness. That's usually not a story game studios sink their teeth in.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Archer666 posted:

Same here. If anything, it being an outdated view of the future adds to the cyberpunk charm.

Personally I'm enjoying CP2077, as glitchy as it sometimes can be. It did pleasantly surprise me that the story idea is being a person who is dealing with a terminal illness. That's usually not a story game studios sink their teeth in.

It loses some of its bite because the illness only progresses when the plot requires it. Which is great for being able to enjoy the open world but hilarious when you get cutscenes about how ill you are and how little time you have and then proceed to tool around Night City looking for broken taxis and committing police sanctioned murder for ten hours.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

It loses some of its bite because the illness only progresses when the plot requires it. Which is great for being able to enjoy the open world but hilarious when you get cutscenes about how ill you are and how little time you have and then proceed to tool around Night City looking for broken taxis and committing police sanctioned murder for ten hours.

That's true yeah, which is a shame. It has the Yakuza "No time passes outside of plot missions" system which doesn't really work thematically, but I don't think they could have done it any other way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huljt0g0Y3Q

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 7, 2021

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yeah I liked him talking about audio quality complaints while trucks roared past in the background and he lost what he was talking about.

Honestly, he's been doing this long enough that people should know what they're getting by now. He does what he does and you're either on board or you're not, seems faintly ridiculous he has to spell that out for people.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

As a culture we have lost the ability to invent speculatively meaningful visions of the future. Capitalism sells recycled aesthetics back to us, unable to reflect on reality.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Weird fashion is around, but its expensive, difficult to find and most people have very boring tastes and wear practical clothes. Fictional fashion is nice, but its not a realistic representation of fashion trends unfortunately.

Unless you're in Japan/Asia and have money. Then you can be the main character of every video game. These days I order my clothes from Japan cause gently caress their fashion styles rock and I hate having money.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

here's two videos regarding the topics that i remembered watching and recommend.

cyberpunk is dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvor7hhDKTs

so is the future (this is one of my favourites)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0aEO7CrxM

Archer666 posted:

That's true yeah, which is a shame. It has the Yakuza "No time passes outside of plot missions" system which doesn't really work thematically, but I don't think they could have done it any other way.
have the illness progress when you interface in a certain way with some technology and then have the story missions begin with or lead to an intentional or forced use, thereby progressing the life threatening illness along the story beats but at the pace the character chooses rather than a kayfabe ticking clock.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Breath of Fire 5 actually did something kinda like that but it was less 'terminal illness' and more 'corrupted by dragon powers'. Basicaly you have a % readout of how much you've been corrupted by your dragon powers which very slowly increments during normal play or very quickly if you use your overpowered dragon attacks.

You can't make it go back down and when you reach 100% your guy explodes and the game ends.

It's a neat idea but its also heavilly designed around, BOF5 being a much shorter game than its predecessors to account for multiple playthroughs and a sort of new game plus system that lets players start fresh but keep some levels. Theres even bonus cutscenes handed out based on a ranking system so you're occasionally still getting more story details on playthrough number 5.

Personally I made it to the final boss on like 90% but I wasn't strong enough to beat them and 10% wasn't enough access to the dragon beam or w/e and I gave up. Great game though, would love to see it ported to modern platforms so I can try to reach the surface again now my PS2 bit the dust. I feel like it would be better received these days.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I think the response to Far Cry 2 killed a lot of interest from developers in having sickness and similar stuff affect gameplay even though in FC2 it just meant doing an extra side quest every few hours or so.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

BigRed0427 posted:

Deus Ex Human Revolution really elevated its aesthetic by going with the cyber-renaissance vibe, but I guess the problem of another property using that kind of aesthetic is it would be seen as a riff on Deus Ex rather than its own thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Rdr 2 does the same thing though with same kinda set up and progression, the thing is rdr changes the meaning of stuff while cyberpunk lets you decide what matters but yeah. Them trying the Ubisoft open world poo poo without making them mostly fun like Ubisoft open worlds are, is lol.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Even if they fix the issues with the game, the game is still kinda mid and boring.

Yeah that's what makes me kinda sad for it, like I said whenever I look at it long enough I wish it wasn't the most milquetoast version of a cyberpunk world when it has neat bits gameplay systems-wise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Suzie the Sphere Hunter's Cyberpunk video talked a lot about the adaptation from the ttrpg, seems she was a fan of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fU-2WGhu0s

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Suzie the Sphere Hunter's Cyberpunk video talked a lot about the adaptation from the ttrpg, seems she was a fan of it.

Yeah. I love ttrpg, it’s a very pulpy world and it is a mishmash of tropes and stuff but 2077 is a jump for it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fil5000 posted:

Part of the problem seems like they ripped the whole initial plot they had in mind for the game off the top of it and decided to awkwardly tape a different one on. The description on the first teaser trailer had a big focus on the Psycho Squad that has no connection at all to the game we got:

quote:

The teaser shows how the Psycho Squad might acquire a new member.

The Psycho Squad specializes in combating "psychos" -- individuals who overuse implants and substances that boost or otherwise alter the human body.

There comes a point when they overdose on these innovations, and their bodies start to rebel against their biological body parts as well as all things organic around them. Simply put, they start killing people, who they now derisively call "meatbags."

When a psycho goes on the rampage, strange things can happen. There's carnage, and the psycho might be taken down by regular police, but they're not always able to get the job done.

When things spin out of control, they call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the Psycho Squad.

And from what articles were describing, they did end up trashing most of the initial work done on the game from like 2013 to 2016. The disassociation between the main plot and sidequests, and the fact that there's such a focus on being a one-person contract killer for the cops does feel like it'd fit in more in a game where you were playing part of the Psycho Squad, with a plot centered around maybe either having to defect from the NCPD or get in good with them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Suzi's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah I liked him talking about audio quality complaints while trucks roared past in the background and he lost what he was talking about.

Honestly, he's been doing this long enough that people should know what they're getting by now. He does what he does and you're either on board or you're not, seems faintly ridiculous he has to spell that out for people.

It sounds like the part about audio quality and comments at least is another case of taking too many Youtube comments to heart. From his usual opinions I’m betting he said something at some point within the last 7 years that pissed off the worst of the video game crowd, they’re still mad about it, and continue to say whatever they can think of to hurt someone.

Come to think of it I haven’t been able to watch some of his videos lately because they’re about games I still want to play myself first - Last of Us 2, RDR2, Disco Elysium to name a few. Well anyways back to spending hours in Valheim instead of playing those games :shepface: