Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that when you bend over and wait for the bill to arrive?

its more like the first step to fixing anything is to take off the front headights and bumper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its more like the first step to fixing anything is to take off the front headights and bumper

Yeah, that. It's a pain the first time you have to figure it out, and it requires an extra long bay because it's hinged (at least on the audis) but drat you get some good access to things that would otherwise be miserable on a regular car (and completely impossible on an audi) without dropping the motor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh for sure, it's not so bad. I'm very fast at it at this point.

The cover is not hinged on the E39 and getting it back on is a horrid pain in the rear end as one person without a lift.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 18, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Is this your pintrest board? Is this something you just did/bought?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if I'm personally a fan of either, but dude, do whatever does it for you.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Smacked myself good and hard in the face pulling the stock shift knob off and didn't feel like elaborating. Hard to type with an icepack in one hand.

The yellow headlight tint is way darker than I expected and was a pain in the rear end that I have to redo anyway. It's also quasi-legal. Still need to do the headlight squirters and foglight rings. Chrome is for boomers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is this a 1970s France look ?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yellow on yellow is a little much for me though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

See: Thread title.

Smacking myself in the face made me put off installing the joyeauto module, but I'm still looking for a headless android box of some kind to squeeze in there anyway. I've had it sitting around for over a month and only had about three clear days as chance to do it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

My son's got the same kit. He uses it for demo derbies. :stare:

I got him the Lepin version of the Bugatti after that. :D

LOL. A friend of mine from work came over way back at the beginning of the lockdown and saw the Porsche, he wasn't previously a lego guy or even particularly a car guy.

He's now bought & built the Porsche GT3 RS, the Lambo Sian, the Bugatti Chiron, Ecto-1, a Mustang & a Harley from the "Creators" line, the Batman Batwing, the Tim Burton Batmobile, and he's got the Batman Tumbler on the way. We were discussing whether buying Lepin was a huge risk or just a minor risk once he passed the $1500 mark since he's got his eyes on the huge Millenium Falcon...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

LOL. A friend of mine from work came over way back at the beginning of the lockdown and saw the Porsche, he wasn't previously a lego guy or even particularly a car guy.

He's now bought & built the Porsche GT3 RS, the Lambo Sian, the Bugatti Chiron, Ecto-1, a Mustang & a Harley from the "Creators" line, the Batman Batwing, the Tim Burton Batmobile, and he's got the Batman Tumbler on the way. We were discussing whether buying Lepin was a huge risk or just a minor risk once he passed the $1500 mark since he's got his eyes on the huge Millenium Falcon...

I've bought a few of the large Lepin sets and they are part-for-part knockoffs. The only issue is that maybe 1-2% of the parts are slightly miscast. Nothing game changing, just needs a bit more attention when assembling.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

McTinkerson posted:

Same. I missed out on the Lego VIP pre-order that came with reprints of the sales posters unfortunately.

Well poo poo, I was gonna get this anyway - would've bought it with the VIP if I had known about the poster.

I've got the Technic 911 RSR, the only complaint I have is the wheel sizes aren't up to snuff.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 22, 2021

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got my clutch and IMS done with my annual service. 53k miles, March 2000 build, ended up being a dual row IMS bearing. Was in perfect condition.

And the clutch is so light now. Thought it was great before, but I didn't know what I was missing out on.

Love this car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did you go with The Solution?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

No, just the Retrofit. Mechanic said he's installed a bunch of them over the years and never had a problem. They're advertised for six year or 75,000 mile. If I still have the car, figure I'll just replace the IMS again with the clutch. Will still be about the same price as the Solution.

/shrug

dema fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 25, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I understand, not sure if I'd do the same thing or not though if given the situation. Not sure if there is really a right/wrong answer.

Which retrofit did you end up with?

I'm on the fence doing mine this year or not. I've got a mid-98 build so almost certainly a double row too.... at 116KMs/72K miles

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This one: https://lnengineering.com/dual-row-ims-retrofit-kit-for-my97-01.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I bought another 911.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:love:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
OK, I did it.

Going to try to DIY the passenger window regulator, wish me luck.

Slight coolant smell as well. Has new radiators but has the old design expansion tank cap and looks like there is some white residue around there, so hopefully that is it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

Slight coolant smell as well. Has new radiators but has the old design expansion tank cap and looks like there is some white residue around there, so hopefully that is it.

Oh hell yea :discourse:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

Beautiful car, enjoy it!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

That's a good thing to do.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

Nice. Nice.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

Nice!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Noice
Welcome to Club 996

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sold the 986 today as I am moving across the country and it isn’t worth the hassle to ship. Going to be in Arizona so hey convertible all year round. Question for those with lord experience with the Stuttgart specials than I. Is the 996/997 convertibles compromised in design like other cars that are hard tops and get a convertible version? Things like more body flex etc...

I expect they are heavier and thus less performing than a coupe but other than running it up RT 88 to Tortilla Flat it is not going to be raced or anything.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BigPaddy posted:

Question for those with lord experience with the Stuttgart specials than I. Is the 996/997 convertibles compromised in design like other cars that are hard tops and get a convertible version? Things like more body flex etc...
The 997 convertible does flex a good amount but it wouldn't keep me from buying one. I knew someone who DE'd one for several years and she had lots of fun. My 2006 Cayman S had a slight edge over her 997 non-S cab, and was fractionally slower than other 997 non-S coupes

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 7, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.
These just look so right in silver! Congratulations

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

OK, I did it.

awesome, hi5 and welcome to the (silver) 996 club

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Sold the 986 today as I am moving across the country and it isn’t worth the hassle to ship. Going to be in Arizona so hey convertible all year round. Question for those with lord experience with the Stuttgart specials than I. Is the 996/997 convertibles compromised in design like other cars that are hard tops and get a convertible version? Things like more body flex etc...

I expect they are heavier and thus less performing than a coupe but other than running it up RT 88 to Tortilla Flat it is not going to be raced or anything.

Why not a 987?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Russian Bear posted:

Why not a 987?

No reason beyond not a 911. I expect I will split the difference and get a 987 S.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There is something neat about the 911 in that the rear engine driving experience is one that can't be replicated by any other car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Residency Evil posted:

There is something neat about the 911 in that the rear engine driving experience is one that can't be replicated by any other car.

It's the squat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ When I first got in mine, I thought it felt like a big go-cart. In retrospect, the rear engine aspect probably contributed to that.

Jesus christ, why am I having such a hard time finding a schematic listing the coolant hoses I need?

I usually use Sunset Porsche's website for looking up parts but it really doesn't seem to be much help here. Looking for the 2 red arrows, big one is the hose off the thermostat housing and the 2nd one is some sort Y-hose that connects right to the water pump and a collant pipe a few inches from that. The ones that I *think* it is from Sunset has some weird as hell part # and says is discontinued? Which makes no sense to me.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/v-1999-porsche-911--carrera--3-4l-h6-gas/cooling-system--hoses-and-pipes

Anyone know of a better diagram or something that shows the hoses in relation to the water pump and thermostat?

e: Looks like the thermostat hose is a 996 106 502 54 and the waterpump weird thing is 996 106 250 55 but I may have to adapt it a smidgen to fit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 14, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I had a very not mild incident on I-5 the other day that I wish somebody had gotten on dashcam because I still have no idea what happened. Let's just say I ended up making a very impromptu double lane change in the wet. So... new shoes today. The difference when shopping 245/275 versus 235/265 is loving silly. I decided to bump the width just for more rubber but then it opened up so many options that I've gone with an all-season.

I guess this Conti DWS06 "Plus" came out just a month or two ago, so I'll be inclined to give them a proper review compared to the cheap Potenza summers I'm coming from.

Edit:

Blasted over a few passes and put 250 miles on to scrub them in. I found a nice snowy parking lot at the top of one and dug around in it a little, only to realize on getting out that they were gripping that well on packed ice not snow. So yeah, they're fantastic.

Gotta redo the dip now though. I'm thinking bronze.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 17, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Time to buy summer tyres :shepspends:

quote:

Hello Mr. Harrington,

The 4 tires (Goodyear) with the installation will cost 1649.40.- plus VAT, the storage of the winter wheels will be 145.-

Any opinion on what tyres would be best? The dealer are recommending these
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-f1-asymmetric-3

but I was planning on trying to get the EV specific P Zeros (I have the winter version at the moment and they've been great)
https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-elect-the-tyre-that-increases-autonomy-reduces-onboard-noise-and-maximises-grip/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I've had the Goodyear Eagle F1 before and didn't care for it. They wore quickly and weren't so grippy.

I'm partial to the PS4S for big car high performance tire but that's ICE M5. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason to buy a designated EV tire. I guess EVs tend to be even heavier. I know the Tesla Model S runs (or ran) PS4S as the performance tire package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

Time to buy summer tyres :shepspends:

Any opinion on what tyres would be best? The dealer are recommending these
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-f1-asymmetric-3

but I was planning on trying to get the EV specific P Zeros (I have the winter version at the moment and they've been great)
https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-elect-the-tyre-that-increases-autonomy-reduces-onboard-noise-and-maximises-grip/

I’ve had the eagle f2s and moving to the ps4s was like magic. Get the ps4.