Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Fortunately my neighbor's owl statue doesn't seem to scare song birds or crows away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

the fools are adapting well to longer periods spent in the cage. they all seem totally chill so i think they'll be fine. when i let them out for short bursts of garden time, they just make the most of it while they can. (this means i will have to be on top of keeping their wings clipped, because the first thing they all do to celebrate as soon as they're out of the coop is pop off like champagne corks)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Shifty Nipples posted:

Fortunately my neighbor's owl statue doesn't seem to scare song birds or crows away.

Smaller birds are more agile and I think know they're not the natural prey of owls, and crows dgaf. If an owl or hawk tries to step to them, they'll get together and make the raptor hate life a while.

I'd just worry that an owl statue would stress the chickens to see it? I'm assuming no.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

5er posted:

I'd just worry that an owl statue would stress the chickens to see it? I'm assuming no.
we had one that caused no distress to chickens, but unfortunately not to predators either. luckily it was a nice piece of garden art

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

actually i recommend an owl statue for all yards, whether they have poultry or not

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What is this, Bohemian Grove

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

What is this, Bohemian Grove
by my definitions, a porch is a yard. so is a balcony, windowsill, etc

if there's a plant on or near it, it's a yard

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My entire house is a yard

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

all is well

for now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

perepelki posted:

all is well

for now

They look very surprised to be picked up. :allears: "Where the *bibble* am I?"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Deep thoughts

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Enfys posted:

Deep thoughts
their wise little faces sometimes cause me to assume that they are wise, and that assumption is at the heart of most of my husbandry problems

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They look very surprised to be picked up. :allears: "Where the *bibble* am I?"
they have limited facial expression, but they convey astonishment very fluently

perepelki fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 7, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I recorded my chicken on slo-mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drVD6aXopO0

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

She’s such a pretty bird!

I took this video the other day. I’m in big trouble if they figure out how to use the dog door!
https://youtu.be/brYwclm7Jv4

We’ve been having beautiful weather and the hens are ramping up the egg laying. Friday they laid 23 and yesterday they laid 18. I usually take my extras to the food bank if I don’t sell them before the refrigerator fills up. What do you guys like to do with your extra eggs?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I give them to people at work who have gone out of their way to help me as a 'grease the wheels' thank you and we trade them for all sorts of stuff on FB marketplace. My wife gets furniture or old clothes that we resell all the time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

She’s such a pretty bird!

I took this video the other day. I’m in big trouble if they figure out how to use the dog door!
https://youtu.be/brYwclm7Jv4

We’ve been having beautiful weather and the hens are ramping up the egg laying. Friday they laid 23 and yesterday they laid 18. I usually take my extras to the food bank if I don’t sell them before the refrigerator fills up. What do you guys like to do with your extra eggs?

Scramble and freeze for when we don't have eggs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I give extra eggs to neighbours and friends (sadly don't see friends in person this weather so mostly neighbours)

The odd time I've ended up with too many and no one to give them to I've scrambled them and fed them to the chickens and dog (who punishes me with death farts)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can make and freeze mini quiches using muffin tins. I am too lazy to deal with making crusts for them and they work out just fine. Super easy breakfast for kids too.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Feeling like either the worlds worst chicken owner or a very Unlucky Cat rn. Our flock of 2 of my 3 silkies died in the last few months and now my 2 frizzles are in bad shape. That leaves 1 healthy (by appearance) silkie rooster.

Oscar the frizzle rooster who I suspect is actually a frazzle has started walking backwards and sideways. He uses the perimeter of the fence to get anywhere because he cannot walk point A to point B. Luckily he hasn’t lost weight and I see him eating and drinking.

Ms Frizzle just started “star gazing” and appears to have wry neck suddenly. I read there can be a hundred underlying causes for both of these issues. One repeated thing I keep seeing is vitamin E and selenium so I’ve been adding nutridrench to their water.

Should we just cull and start over? Between Boo and Frida we spent $3500 on chicken vet bills so far this year.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
That really stinks, I'm sorry to hear the chicks aren't doing well. I think culling may be your best option. With the unknown cause of your chickens illness I'd be worried that their coop is somehow contaminated or infected and needs a deep cleaning.

The most we ever spent on a chicken was $60 to have a vet euthanize one, and i can't imagine doing that again.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
So sorry about your chickens, that’s really crappy.

If you are already :homebrew: you could cull one of the sick chickens and get a necropsy. In my state they have a maximum charge of something like $150 per animal, and it’s usually less depending on what tests they have to run. (It might take a long time though, I still don’t have a “finalized” report for my hen Seahawk.) it might get you some answers without the huge vet bills.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i'm so sorry about your chickens, lc. you definitely need to find out if there's something contagious going on, but it could just as easily be bad luck. either way, don't let it make you give up on chickens. these things happen to everybody, sadly :(

one of the first broods i ever hatched had a wryneck baby who in the end i couldn't save. i tried for weeks. in that case i don't think it was diet, because none of the other chicks were wrynecked and i've never had another one since, and i'm so glad about that because it's a horrible thing to look at and try to deal with

perepelki fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 10, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

our hero in repose

he doesn't even limp now

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LuckyCat posted:

Feeling like either the worlds worst chicken owner or a very Unlucky Cat rn. Our flock of 2 of my 3 silkies died in the last few months and now my 2 frizzles are in bad shape. That leaves 1 healthy (by appearance) silkie rooster.

Oscar the frizzle rooster who I suspect is actually a frazzle has started walking backwards and sideways. He uses the perimeter of the fence to get anywhere because he cannot walk point A to point B. Luckily he hasn’t lost weight and I see him eating and drinking.

Ms Frizzle just started “star gazing” and appears to have wry neck suddenly. I read there can be a hundred underlying causes for both of these issues. One repeated thing I keep seeing is vitamin E and selenium so I’ve been adding nutridrench to their water.

Should we just cull and start over? Between Boo and Frida we spent $3500 on chicken vet bills so far this year.

I'm so sorry, that's wretched.

I'd get a necropsy on the next one to pass and figure it out first. It could be bad luck, it could be incurable infectious bullshit, or it could be easily fixable.

Still, hang in there. A random in Portland is thinking about your flock.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I went to the art museum where I live today and saw this piece. Some things never change.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

gangleteen update

5er
Jun 1, 2000

...or it could just be the case that the painter also owned chickens and was upset enough to paint about it when his favorite buffo got hawked.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I almost wonder if some of my issues come from malnutrition. I took my laptop out and worked outside and watched them all day yesterday and only the healthy one returned to the coop to eat and drink periodically. I’ve noticed this many times before. I have some that just peck around the yard all day and others that rely on the crumble.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

perepelki posted:

gangleteen update

That feather detail :swoon:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Only 2 eggs made it to lockdown out of the 7 that started development. Today is day 19, so hopefully we will have chicks this weekend! My other chicks are supposed to come in the mail sometime next week. Probably Wednesday. I’m glad I ordered some, two eggs puts me at high risk for a lonely singleton.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Enfys posted:

That feather detail :swoon:
i like to think these three are the reincarnations of nina, rickie and ursula :unsmith:

echidna went over the fence. i keep forgetting that there's a period where their bodyweight is still low but their muscles are fully developed enough that even with clipped wings, they are capable of bumblebeeing. the drat thing got in a brief squabble with tigerlily, and then in front of my eyes just floated peacefully skyward and was off! luckily they landed in my neighbour's garden party, where they were received with astonishment and delight. i am using the gender-neutral term because although i am fairly sure echidna is a rooster, until the crowing starts i always live in hope

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

it's simultaneously the worst and funniest thing in the world when they lift off when i'm standing like two metres away. they're just fast enough that i can't catch them in time, but they still rise from the ground incredibly slowly, so it's like the moment when you let go of a balloon and just helplessly watch it float away into the sky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

perepelki posted:

echidna went over the fence.

Oh no, not another one! :stonk:

perepelki posted:

Luckily they landed in my neighbour's garden party, where they were received with astonishment and delight

Oh thank goodness. :ohdear:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Names still TBD

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
So many pretty dinosaurs on this page! :love:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Alterian posted:

Names still TBD

oh my lord look at those :kimchi: they look shiny-eyed and full of vitality. i am so happy for you!!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They're going to get a lot of attention. They live in my office where I teach from. I promised my students I'd put a webcam in their box.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Alterian posted:

They're going to get a lot of attention. They live in my office where I teach from. I promised my students I'd put a webcam in their box.
oh fantastic! i'm happy for them too! you are going to have so much fun :h:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alterian posted:

Names still TBD

I vote for Blackwing Thundercracker; Slayer of Wyrms, and Razorbeak Bloodclaw, Seeker of Vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We have a pip!!!! :woop: