Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's just plain evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Any tips for digging out climbable slopes or 'steps' up mountains?

It's a bit tricky but it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXkBHJe89ug

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Azhais posted:

He doesn't do most of his bullshit if you're up close and personal. Dodge around a bit with your axe.

I don't know of a level 6 version yet

So no max Troll armor for now. OK then, guess it's time to upgrade to iron if I ever scrounge up enough scrap.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hopefully they add more alternative armors in the future, but for now there's only the troll set.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Broken Cog posted:

Hopefully they add more alternative armors in the future, but for now there's only the troll set.

This is what the swamp needs to help it not feel like “crypt/iron RNG shotgun.” Draugrs look kinda leathery, make them drop some poo poo that I can use to make a tunic and cape.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

causticBeet posted:

This is what the swamp needs to help it not feel like “crypt/iron RNG shotgun.” Draugrs look kinda leathery, make them drop some poo poo that I can use to make a tunic and cape.

Draugrs already turn into sausages what more do you want?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah I'd love to have some lighter Brigandine or something once you get access to Linen. I could do with slightly less armor if it got rid of the movement speed penalty.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

anatomi posted:

*Steadfast Manor*

Just wanted you to know that i enjoyed the tour immensely!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

genericnick posted:

Draugrs already turn into sausages what more do you want?

bit hosed up that you need humanoid intestines to make sausages but w/e

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's probably some hilarious swedish joke.

I hope eating "neck tails" is a joke too because it definitely amuses me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

anatomi posted:

It worked. He's been hanging out there for a while now. Threw him some sausages, but the ungrateful bastard won't eat them. I feel good leaving Steadfast now, knowing its only major nuisance has been taken care of.

omg how did you Greyling zoo keep working? We've built a fence around one before, threw eyes at resin at him since he loves em so much. He disappeared when we came back through portal later >:o

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love the Plains!!! We found our next boss stone almost immediately, but haven't bothered going there yet. We just wanna conquer these texas hills. I wanted to build a little house on a prairie and just build a nice peaceful, understated ranch. My buddy however was on a different train, he was wanting a cave-base suddenly, and started carving down a nearby hill into this nest of tunnels and holes I've only been down to die from goblins in. Taming the big dogs was easier than the boars or wolves (which I still havent tamed, due to being eaten). I tamed three at once just chilling in the field sneaking, it was nice. I haven't finished their fenced in area so they've been wandering, but I haven't seen em mating. Boars starting porking the moment they were tame and I threw food at 'em. Do I gotta milk these fuckers and do it myself or what?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

genericnick posted:

So how are you supposed to murk the Elder? I just plinked it to death with fire arrows, but it wasn't in any way fast. Probably easier if you're not alone? Also, can the workbench be upgraded to level 6 currently?

That's how I do it. You can get up in his face for most of his attacks, just take a decent shield.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
This game is the absolute best for just being a total idiot with friends.

It's kinda hard to read the sign with the lighting, but welcome to Viking Burger, home of the Viking Burger.

Oh and I really like how my forge came out on this world

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

It's probably some hilarious swedish joke.

I hope eating "neck tails" is a joke too because it definitely amuses me.

I don't know about tails but a neck/näck is a mythological creature (in finnish 'näkki') which is told to lurk around waters and grab unaware people. Sometimes depicted as a humanoid, sometimes more monstrous lizard/animal form. I was kinda hoping they'd add some kind of big neck king to fight since the ones in-game are not quite as dangerous as the folklore would have you believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_(water_spirit)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lima posted:

It's a bit tricky but it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXkBHJe89ug

Holy gently caress this video and the flattening quick tips that followed it

Holding shift makes the hoe flatten to the level the cursor is at? Why haven't I known this the entire time!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm trying to build a base on a new world. Emphasis on trying.

I'm on day 30 and I've only had 2 days with decent weather. Otherwise it's been a monsoon or so foggy you can't see your own hands. Pretty loving annoying.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 7, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha days darker than nights are the worst weather. Get you a special light hat ASAP.

I don't suppose there's any way to uhh "terraform" a patch of meadow into plains is it? Wanting to make our capital a little Plainsier

Muahaha, we can't conquer this goblin village, too many gobbos, but we did do a suicide bumrush to raid a chest and I snagged a couple barkley. From these two seeds a barley army shall surge

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there some trick anyone understands to build floating stone structures? I'm trying to build a stone pier out into the water, but being unable to place items from the water is extremely annoying.

Last night I could have sworn I found some trick to cheese the support system (I would plant a stone floor, attach a core wood log beam to it, then repeat) but today I can't get it to work :smith:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Haha days darker than nights are the worst weather. Get you a special light hat ASAP.

I don't suppose there's any way to uhh "terraform" a patch of meadow into plains is it? Wanting to make our capital a little Plainsier

Muahaha, we can't conquer this goblin village, too many gobbos, but we did do a suicide bumrush to raid a chest and I snagged a couple barkley. From these two seeds a barley army shall surge

This game is just generally too dark. Basically midday +/- a couple minutes is the only time with usable light.'

edit: also, if you're building next to water the 20m waves from stormy weather makes building all but impossible.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 7, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Floppychop posted:

This game is just generally too dark. Basically midday +/- a couple minutes is the only time with usable light.'

edit: also, if you're building next to water the 20m waves from stormy weather makes building all but impossible.

I’ve been adjusting system gamma to 1.2-1.3 when I play because nights and crypts are so drat dark.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Retrowave Joe posted:

Just wanted you to know that i enjoyed the tour immensely!
Thanks! I enjoy them as well, I love seeing everybody's crib.

Khanstant posted:

omg how did you Greyling zoo keep working? We've built a fence around one before, threw eyes at resin at him since he loves em so much. He disappeared when we came back through portal later >:o
Bummer that your pet greyling got away. I checked just now and the bugger's still in his hole. Maybe because it's a dedicated server? I have no idea. :shrug:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Enderzero posted:

I’ve been adjusting system gamma to 1.2-1.3 when I play because nights and crypts are so drat dark.

I'm playing on a server with a friend, so console-commanding the time doesn't work sadly.

The darkness and how it's impossible to adjust is a huge accessibility issue as well. Anyone with even a mild visual impairment likely can't play the game.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 7, 2021

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

working on a thing

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Due to no internet but an occasional phone hotspot I have to solo currently and am not making fast progress, so I found this island (well more of a sandbank) between swamp, plains, dark forrest and I thought I build a base here to get access fast to everything. Well... there is constant war on my doorstep between the 3 biomes and at night I'm usually attacked by Goblins and during the day a Deathsquito often comes around. Kinda questioning my descision :v:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Is there some trick anyone understands to build floating stone structures? I'm trying to build a stone pier out into the water, but being unable to place items from the water is extremely annoying.

Last night I could have sworn I found some trick to cheese the support system (I would plant a stone floor, attach a core wood log beam to it, then repeat) but today I can't get it to work :smith:

In general when building in water I've found it handy to bring my boat so I have a place to stand.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I'm playing on a server with a friend, so console-commanding the time doesn't work sadly.

The darkness and how it's impossible to adjust a huge accessibility issue as well. Anyone with even a mild visual impairment likely can't play the game.

It's odd there's no gamma slider, I reckon that's something that should be in by full release.

I do appreciate the game actually being dark, both because it's something you really are required to manage and confront mechanically, but also because so many games have really milquetoast nights where thedarkest dark is basically full sunlight but with a cooler tint and star skybox.

Still, accessibility and hardware differences should necessitate some control over it. Mechanically I would hope the game adds more progression for lighting solutions. I'd love a solarpanel boss whose head I could mount as a permanent major lightsource.

edit: How much dang room does a saplnig need to grow? Trying to just grow one decorative tree inside my castle's portal room, no roof over this chunk of castle, already got my big rocks and some plants and stuff growing in there. Does the tree not grow close to bigstones or is the proximity of all the castle stuff?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 7, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Khanstant posted:

It's odd there's no gamma slider, I reckon that's something that should be in by full release.

I do appreciate the game actually being dark, both because it's something you really are required to manage and confront mechanically, but also because so many games have really milquetoast nights where thedarkest dark is basically full sunlight but with a cooler tint and star skybox.

Still, accessibility and hardware differences should necessitate some control over it. Mechanically I would hope the game adds more progression for lighting solutions. I'd love a solarpanel boss whose head I could mount as a permanent major lightsource.

edit: How much dang room does a saplnig need to grow? Trying to just grow one decorative tree inside my castle's portal room, no roof over this chunk of castle, already got my big rocks and some plants and stuff growing in there. Does the tree not grow close to bigstones or is the proximity of all the castle stuff?

Yeah I like what they’re going for in making night and dark feel actually dangerous but because I can’t sleep unless everyone else does, which never happens, and because during the day sunlight washes out the screen, I just end up using nvidia control panel to bump the gamma up.

That short night is darkest before the dawn phase is really cool though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm hoping in a update far down the line they deem to give basic enemies more then 1 attack animation, trolls got at least two at least.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I got my rear end kicked by Moder. poo poo was going good, if really slow, and then a wolf pack with a loving werewolf (didn't even know they were in the game at that point) and a stone golem decided to show up on the peak.

Gonna go back after expanding my mead industry and bumping my silver items a tier or two higher. Does Moder have a weakness to a specific damage type? I was using Frostner for it's down phases.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Any tips for digging out climbable slopes or 'steps' up mountains?

For digging specifically I've had pretty good luck with starting at the bottom, mining once, and then walking right up to the new wall, repeat. It seems to turn out pretty consistent.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
~I'm like 20 pages behind still are we still posting screenshots?~

Welcome to the Drunken Lox Lodge!

Early construction-

Today-

Foyer-

Inspiration-

Have a seat by the fire-

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope in a future update they make it so comfort items radius is vastly increased, it's weird having to hunt for the most comfy spot in large buildings.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khanstant posted:

to raid a chest and I snagged a couple barkley. From these two seeds a barley army shall surge

That will only grow in the plains fyi, just dies if planted in the meadow. Lost my first hard earned seeds that way

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Question, maybe already answered-

Does the last boss count as defeated when it is first killed, or when its trophy is put on the stone circle?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Enderzero posted:

That short night is darkest before the dawn phase is really cool though.

"The night is darkest before dawn" is just a cliche saying with no basis in reality though.

And I find many games make night too dark, especially this one. A full moon on a clear night is actually fairly easy to see in. New moon or cloudy night is another story, but yeah. Go camping folks, it's fun and you learn stuff

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I can't go camping anymore, I'd just get fuling spawns all over the campsite.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Floppychop posted:

"The night is darkest before dawn" is just a cliche saying with no basis in reality though.

And I find many games make night too dark, especially this one. A full moon on a clear night is actually fairly easy to see in. New moon or cloudy night is another story, but yeah. Go camping folks, it's fun and you learn stuff

I am hoping if they get around to the "moon phases" update on the roadmap they get around to increasing night time light by a lot on clear nights.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's so foggy in the plains I can't see anything day or night so I hardly notice the problem anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

TeaJay posted:

I don't know about tails but a neck/näck is a mythological creature (in finnish 'näkki') which is told to lurk around waters and grab unaware people. Sometimes depicted as a humanoid, sometimes more monstrous lizard/animal form. I was kinda hoping they'd add some kind of big neck king to fight since the ones in-game are not quite as dangerous as the folklore would have you believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_(water_spirit)

Oh my god if he had a tiny little crown i’d die