Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/eKRENZKE/status/1341151541185548290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

a) not done by icp
b) never actually existed afaict

pretty sure this is another instance of:
-coiner spots a vulnerable/untapped market of users with money that hasn't been parted with

-coiner poses as member or ally of said community looking to give them "control of their finances"

-coiner moves on to next community to scam once it's clear this group doesn't care or is too smart for it.

see also: multiple projects targeted at sex workers Rainbow coin BLM tokens, etc,

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

text editor posted:

pretty sure this is another instance of:
-coiner spots a vulnerable/untapped market of users with money that hasn't been parted with

-coiner poses as member or ally of said community looking to give them "control of their finances"

-coiner moves on to next community to scam once it's clear this group doesn't care or is too smart for it.

see also: multiple projects targeted at sex workers Rainbow coin BLM tokens, etc,

Papa Nutt seems like a legit nom de clown it was probably somebody just loving with the normies.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really hope whoever buys jack's tweet is some early coiner wich more coins than god, who forces jack to either delete it, or sue for breach of contract

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I want to make sure I understand NFTs wrt Tweets/posts. You make an excellent post. I pay someone else, not you the excellent post-maker, and now I can say I own that post. The only person that recognizes my ownership is the person who sold me your excellent post. The way I would make money off my ownership of your excellent post is by selling that ownership to someone even less intelligent than me. Is that right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

I want to make sure I understand NFTs wrt Tweets/posts. You make an excellent post. I pay someone else, not you the excellent post-maker, and now I can say I own that post. The only person that recognizes my ownership is the person who sold me your excellent post. The way I would make money off my ownership of your excellent post is by selling that ownership to someone even less intelligent than me. Is that right?

OP can also realize that you bought their post and delete it leaving you with nothing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

orange juche posted:

OP can also realize that you bought their post and delete it leaving you with nothing.

that goes without saying, since at no point am i buying the original post
so NFT are just an even more complicated way to launder money, nice

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
NFTs are just sales receipt fan fiction

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

that goes without saying, since at no point am i buying the original post
so NFT are just an even more complicated way to launder money, nice

Like I unironically thought that getting the nft version of the tweet left you with an undeletable version of the tweet, because IMMUTABLE BLOCKCHAIN, but lmao nope it doesn't, because extra hilarity and fraud opportunities.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
this is like the ultimate realisation of the bitcoiner dream of getting paid for someone else's work

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Relevant Tangent posted:

someone also needs to pay the middleman to register the excellent post into the postchain (they call this "minting" the post) before you can pay the middleman to buy a certificate saying that you now "own" this registration according to the middleman

presumably that "someone" is supposed to be the excellent op but i currently don't know/care if the middleman does any identity verification (kyc/aml? in MY postchain???) when they get paid to "mint" these mildly tagged/structured pieces of data

and then that presumable-excellent-op also needs to pay the middleman again if they want to try to cash out i guess

orange juche posted:

Like I unironically thought that getting the nft version of the tweet left you with an undeletable version of the tweet, because IMMUTABLE BLOCKCHAIN, but lmao nope it doesn't, because extra hilarity and fraud opportunities.
that's what screenshots / copypasting / web archives are for, which are useful technologies without middleman grift and have been around for decades, and they're therefore old and busted and not fintech magic disruptive blockchain be your own bankscam

"owning" in this case is very different from normal concepts of ownership

:wrong:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

SubG posted:

Boxturret posted:

this is like the ultimate realisation of the bitcoiner dream of getting paid for someone else's work

:right::right:

vvv   agreedo

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 7, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

lol perfect. thread title plz

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SubG posted:

The perfect summary :discourse:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

is there anything stopping say, selling the mobile and desktop urls of a tweet separately?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

is there anything stopping say, selling the mobile and desktop urls of a tweet separately?

I doubt there's anything whatsoever stopping you from selling the desktop URL repeatedly, or someone else doing it too.

Here's a somewhat longer article on why NFT are loving garbage: https://everestpipkin.medium.com/but-the-environmental-issues-with-cryptoart-1128ef72e6a3

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Starting to miss that one guy's illegal weed growing op by stealing water from a neighboring county telling people on reddit to "compete with me" but with bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

gschmidl posted:

I doubt there's anything whatsoever stopping you from selling the desktop URL repeatedly, or someone else doing it too.

Here's a somewhat longer article on why NFT are loving garbage: https://everestpipkin.medium.com/but-the-environmental-issues-with-cryptoart-1128ef72e6a3

"First, it is not a gotcha that there are worse things in the world than the thing you are currently talking about. I am capable of hating cryptocurrency AND capitalism AND art fairs. I contain multitudes."

as an anarchist this doesn't make any sense to me...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

"First, it is not a gotcha that there are worse things in the world than the thing you are currently talking about. I am capable of hating cryptocurrency AND capitalism AND art fairs. I contain multitudes."

:hmmyes:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Boxturret posted:

read this as air farts and it made more sense

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Boxturret posted:

there's not even anything stopping you from selling it multiple times, just start a new NFT whenever you want
e:you don't have to start a new NFT to sell it multiple times but it's probably more lucrative to do so
"Gotta collect the same post across multiple blockchains NFTailures!"

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

see here i have the first twitter post by elon musk certified on the bitcoin blockchain, there's only 1,000 of these in existence so it's very rare and expensive. and over here is the first twitter post by elon musk certified on the ether blockchain, i got that at a yard sale last year for 50 cents, there's billions of them. now here is the crown jewel of my collection, the first twitter post by elon musk certified on the now defunct bitclassic blockchain, there's only 5 of these in existence and this one is especially rare as the one that certified it misspelled the name as "elno musk"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ah yes the elon musk pedo tweet

a fine vintage. Cost me more than the pedo tweet cost elon

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boxturret posted:

see here i have the first twitter post by elon musk certified on the bitcoin blockchain, there's only 1,000 of these in existence so it's very rare and expensive. and over here is the first twitter post by elon musk certified on the ether blockchain, i got that at a yard sale last year for 50 cents, there's billions of them. now here is the crown jewel of my collection, the first twitter post by elon musk certified on the now defunct bitclassic blockchain, there's only 5 of these in existence and this one is especially rare as the one that certified it misspelled the name as "elno musk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ9yBgTp9UQ
This post reminds me of the prices skit

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoin will make tim and eric real

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

ah yes the elon musk pedo tweet

a fine vintage. Cost me more than the pedo tweet cost elon

I'm dieing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

SubG posted:

i'll pay $500,000 for this post

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the only way you'll find out what topshots is actually selling is by reading the legal terms. they certainly won't tell you anywhere else on the site

https://www.nbatopshot.com/terms

tldr: they're selling the address of a web page that can be loaded only in the topshots app. the address is transferable between people on a particular blockchain and the app will show the web page only to the current owner

people buy the address to launder money, or to impress their rich friends on yacht trips, or to sell it to someone for either of those purposes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hmm, nice yacht. 9.2 million eh? well have you seen this? *types in to phone app http://www.nbatopshots.com/nft-secret-site-38281a96/my-page68255.html*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

hmm, nice yacht. 9.2 million eh? well have you seen this? *types in to phone app http://www.nbatopshots.com/nft-secret-site-38281a96/my-page68255.html*

That American Psyco scene, but with NFTs instead of business cards.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://cancel.pointless.click posted:

We at Cancel™ believe in respecting everyone. If you post anything—no matter the content—your account will be temporarily suspended. If you post after your account is reactivated, you will be permanently banned from the platform. Rest assured that your posts will nevertheless be saved on the Blockchain for all eternity.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

orange juche posted:

why would it? it's not like twitter is running it themselves.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

why would it? it's not like twitter is running it themselves.

poo poo even the OPs aren't running it, you can sell another shitposters tweets

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Secret PleasureKevin spotted in GBS post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3958040&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post512285554

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

why

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
pleasure

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
buttcoin:

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin will make tim and eric real

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is pleasurekevin a vtuber now? i'm really not getting this joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

is pleasurekevin a vtuber now? i'm really not getting this joke

I think it's referring to the "feminist" face looking like kevin's avatar? stumped me as well