Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honest Thief posted:

finding out the history of antisemitism in japan began with the army in early 20th century reading the protocols of zion, translated by a virulent antisemite, and in less than a century it spawned a death cult in the form of the aum shinrikyo... just brain rot

Another funny bit is that some Japanese leaders read them and thought "We've gotta get some of these cool Jewish people who run the world into our country"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dr. Killjoy posted:

an actual Roadside Picnic anime would rule though

just drunk Canadians with bad attitudes getting each other killed in the Zone

although come to think of it Darker than Black has what could be called Roadside Picnic influences

darker than black not being available for streaming or purchase anywhere is a travesty

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ghost in the shell was my first anime besides kiki's delivery service and totoro (which pwn) and when i later joined the air force and realized it had a lot more to say than 'wow cool cyberpunk' i was slightly thrown for a loop lol.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

grate deceiver posted:

Ya, it sounds cool when you describe it like that, but when you watch it it's not really that exciting. 8 (or 9? idk, I quit after the beach ep) eps in and nothing is happening, they just kinda wander around, end up in the weird place, run away from the SCP of the week, next ep repeat the same. Premise is cool, but they do literally nothing with it, those are some boring-rear end lesbians.

I guess tastes vary because I’m having a great time with it. Most of the threats they deal with are of the “instantly kill you or drive you insane” variety so it’s not like fighting them directly is an option. The show is more like Mushishi or Mononoke where half the point is them trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on, except with more mindfuckery. It’s one of the few shows that does incomprehensible monsters well, and I really dig that

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kit Walker posted:

I guess tastes vary because I’m having a great time with it. Most of the threats they deal with are of the “instantly kill you or drive you insane” variety so it’s not like fighting them directly is an option. The show is more like Mushishi or Mononoke where half the point is them trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on, except with more mindfuckery. It’s one of the few shows that does incomprehensible monsters well, and I really dig that

I don't want to poo poo on it too much, because it's not bad or anything. It's ok, there's things to like and enjoy in it. I just think I saw all it's elements done better by other shows, so I'd rather watch those. Mononoke has weird monsters and surrealism, and also incredible style, and the mindfuckery usually matches to some emotional beats or backstory of the characters, so you never feel it's coming from nowhere. Wonder Egg has supernatural lesbians fighting monster-of-the-weeks, but also incredible mindblowing animation and sympathetic and fleshed out characters. Shinsekai Yori or Land of the Lustrous have alien worlds with completely different rules, but also interesting mysteries and characters that are engaged in those worlds instead of just kinda stumbling upon stuff.

I liked it at first, but I guess I just wanted something more and/or different from it.

Anyway, I'm reading Assault Girls and it's weird as gently caress, what the hell is this. Soldiers in an interdimensional war are piloting giant biomechanical schoolgirls and slowly go crazy and start believing they actually are the giant schoolgirls.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the anime is really not doing justice to the Otherside Picnic lns tbh

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like to think of it as yuri Supernatural.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what is the spider show you guys are talking about?

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Mirello posted:

what is the spider show you guys are talking about?

https://www.crunchyroll.com/so-im-a-spider-so-what

it rules imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

started watching the first episode of high rise invasion blind, and there’s a rape scene like ten minutes into it

netflix promoted this show pretty hard, that’s wild to me

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

When they cut to non spider stuff the energy just evaporates lol.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

net work error posted:

When they cut to non spider stuff the energy just evaporates lol.

It’s great. You have this whole isekai hero plot going on and the whole time you’re watching it you’re thinking “drat I really wanna get back to watching that spider talk to herself already”

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The manga cuts out the isekai hero stuff entirely. I don't know why the anime didn't just do that (especially considering they had to skip important spider stuff as a result)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

higurashi gou's pacing really is loving atrocious

finally got to the part where stuff is actually happening and rapidly diverging from the remake but now in episode 15 it's going way too fast; we're just burning through four loops in one episode? i gotta sit through 12.5 episodes of repetition and we're just gonna diffuse the tension of how each loop gets hosed up by going through it like a clip show? it's antithetical to everything else and it just feels... mean

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the anime is sticking pretty close to the LN, which is like, the actual source, rather than the manga adaptation

the ln series is a fun read imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it just feels like a poor creative decision especially when you could have probably cut your episode run count in half

i haven’t read the light novels tbh although being able to skim would be nice

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
oh wait my bad i meant that about the spider anime, not higurashi sorry lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

that makes more sense and makes me feel like less of a tremendous dipshit :unsmith:

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i subbed to funimation to watch wonder egg and i got caught up w/ the show what funimation anime do i watch now, i was told paranoia agent is a must-see lmk if theres any others on the platform

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you watch Paranoia Agent now everything else is going to seem poo poo afterwards for a while just fyi because of how quality it is.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
watch ping pong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

grate deceiver posted:

watch ping pong

Oh hell yes

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

watch ping pong

Yes yes hell yes

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also Tatami Galaxy.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

All three of those shows are GOATs

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

why pingp pong when you can ping pong club?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

The Voice of Labor posted:

why pingp pong when you can ping pong club?

Why watch Ping Pong Club when you can watch Teekyu?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bird. posted:

i subbed to funimation to watch wonder egg and i got caught up w/ the show what funimation anime do i watch now, i was told paranoia agent is a must-see lmk if theres any others on the platform

utena’s on there, as is sarazanmai, silver spoon, princess jellyfish, kaguya-sama, and welcome to the nhk (forget which of those are exclusives)

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

ty for the recs ive added them to my queue and will check em out

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

black lagoon

megalobox

mob psycho 100

mushi-shi

serial experiments lain

space dandy

the devil is a part-timer

the promised neverland

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Mob Psycho 100
Ping Pong
A Place Further than the Universe
Paranoia Agent
Cowboy Bebop
Haikyuu
Monster
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Are probably my top all-time picks. No real order except Ping Pong at #1, MP100 maybe overtaking it if it nails the final season.
I still need to watch Tatami, Lain and Utena.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Thunderbolt Fantasy is a ton of fun

Devilman Crybaby is a wild and p short ride

Attack on Titan was good and has been excellent so far in the final season

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't like thunderbolt fantasy because I read the word thunderbolt and get excited to talk about thunderbolt gundam but then I see the second word.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watch planetes you loving losers.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

whoa that first ep of wonder egg priority tugged at the right heartstrings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Larry Parrish posted:

watch planetes you loving losers.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That there is a show with very little waste.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

That there is a show with very little waste.

I mean, if they’re doing their job right

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This just got posted in the berserk thread in adtrw and well, its cspam material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INiLyUnYONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/04119__snail/status/1369005045568565251