Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

They're a nice way to control things like volume. I loved a similar thing on my old Corsair K70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if the one on the GMMK pro isnt one of those ones that has a tactile click when you rotate it im gonna strangle someone
dials with grips like that should not have smooth rotation

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I joined a group buy for this guy

I miss the old Griffin Powermate I used to have. Was nice for volume adjustment and scrolling through browsers pages

https://caps-unlocked.com/cu7/

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Opioid posted:

I miss the old Griffin Powermate I used to have. Was nice for volume adjustment and scrolling through browsers pages

TF2 engineer PDA lookin' rear end

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Opioid posted:

so for the same price I just paid for an entire keyboard I can get six buttons and a dial
cool.
But why?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

SkyeAuroline posted:

so for the same price I just paid for an entire keyboard I can get six buttons and a dial
cool.
But why?

Oh boy you should never look into artisan keycaps...

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Opioid posted:

What is the extra PCB option on this thing's store page for? I've seen that with a few custom kits, and I've never seen it explained. Also, it's a pretty cool looking macro pad!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Couple of years ago keyboard nerds were super proud and defensive of the fact that their uber expensive custom boards didn't have media controls.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Lord Stimperor posted:

Couple of years ago keyboard nerds were super proud and defensive of the fact that their uber expensive custom boards didn't have media controls.

I still don’t need/want dedicated media controls. Got it under a layer and it works fine for the few times I use them.

I ain’t got keys for dedicated media controls. Sub 60% life represent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's almost as if you can get a keyboard tailored to your preferences.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

Oh boy you should never look into artisan keycaps...

Oh, I'm aware. I'm not really huge on fancy keyboards; my home board is a CM CK550, and as has been mentioned above I've switched to that Freestyle 2 for work. Nothing fancy and nowhere on the level of the people here making custom stuff. I just like the insight and the occasional clarifications on the hardware I'm using.
Things like that pad confuse me though. Keycaps, eh, I kinda get it, material matters for some people and I'd honestly consider replacing my own keycaps if I moved to a mechanical split board. I'd actually be quite interested in Braille keycaps for the letters. That poo poo adds up and it's not high demand. Six switches, a dial, and the board to connect it all to... I dunno.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Some people just want a handful of dedicated keys for very specific functions, it's basically like the mechanical keyboard version of this: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-mini

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Llamadeus posted:

Some people just want a handful of dedicated keys for very specific functions, it's basically like the mechanical keyboard version of this: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-mini

Makes sense put that way. I'd rather take a programmable numpad or something and reprogram it, but if that's all you need then I guess it's all you need. Hope it never breaks for $80+.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Makes sense put that way. I'd rather take a programmable numpad or something and reprogram it, but if that's all you need then I guess it's all you need. Hope it never breaks for $80+.

Really not much to break, and PCBs are easily replaced with most custom boards. These little pads are also great if you use 3D programs that like to spread keybinds all over the place. You can have a smaller keyboard while being able to move the macro pad out of the way when you're not doing work stuff.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gearman posted:

These little pads are also great if you use 3D programs that like to spread keybinds all over the place.
Meanwhile, in the land of "your keybinds are F5, F6, CTRL-SHIFT-C, Insert, Shift-Home, F12"... hell, maybe I'd actually get use out of them...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

lordfrikk posted:

As someone who's new to this, what places should I visit for the group buy? I see several vendors listed in the OP, do I just go their website, then?
fake edit:
also, is the Maxkey Berserk 3 SA a good value? I like the look of it a lot but unsure about quality
Yup, pick a vendor and buy from them. The reason there are vendors all over instead of just one single vendor is to make shipping simpler as well as avoid personal import tariffs / additional VAT on things.
If you're in the US then buy from Cannonkeys.
Canada = Deskhero
etc...
Incidentally, if you're in the US and buy from KBD fans, it will wind up costing you just about the same amount after shipping. But there is a fair chance you will get it a little bit faster since KBDfans always gets ePBT orders before everyone else.
Perfect example: KBDfans has completed 100% of their portion of the groupbuy for ePBT Ivory, meanwhile Kono hasn't even received their shipment yet.

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Lord help me, I‘m seriously considering buying this stupid rear end keyboard. My brain is the size of a marble and just as smooth.
Getting into keyboards was a mistake.
12.5u is a really odd and uncommon size. The only other board I can think of in that layout is the UT47.2
I'm taking a pass on Whimsy because finding sets with compatibility is gonna be tough. Rather, making sets I like fit it will be tough. Plus there are so many other things I'm buying in on that are similar.
Incidentally, if you do need a set for Whimsy... Please consider ePBT Aesthetic. You can buy just what you need to fit it.

But don't forget there's also:

Whiskey

Oceanographer

MB44

Dango

Gravestone

still to come.

And that's on the heels of spmini yesterday, alix-40, nimrod, yoink, training-wheel 40, campsite, garbage truck, plus a couple super secret boards I can't talk about.

SkyeAuroline posted:

cool.
But why?

Yeah definitely don't look into ROTR

It has half as many buttons.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 7, 2021

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m currently using a Logitech Pro and looking to maybe upgrade. I made a pros and cons list, I’m looking to spend less than $150. Any suggestions?

+ Mechanical
Compact and clean looking
Good build quality

+/- Rgb (nice, but not needed, backlit is nice though)
Gaming (not a serious / competitive gamer)

-Lack of a number pad (wife needs this.
Wired, no Bluetooth

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

12.5u is a really odd and uncommon size. The only other board I can think of in that layout is the UT47.2
I'm taking a pass on Whimsy because finding sets with compatibility is gonna be tough. Rather, making sets I like fit it will be tough. Plus there are so many other things I'm buying in on that are similar.
Incidentally, if you do need a set for Whimsy... Please consider ePBT Aesthetic. You can buy just what you need to fit it.

The odd size is one of the reasons I like it. It is, as I said before, absolutely stupid. I already checked the keycaps I have at home and it'll be a stretch. Welp. There are a couple of KAM sets coming up so that might work.

Also I can't buy the Aesthetic set because I don't like ePBT/GMK sets solely because the legends are off-center. I would have immediately bought it if they had stuck with their KAT plan. Dangit.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

lol I played myself

Been looking for a full-sized board that a) actually works with and b) has all the caps legends for all the Mac shortcuts for my husband for a while (since he didn't like the Keychron K4) and managed to find a Matias Quiet Pro for Mac for 50% off at Micro Center! Perfect!!

...Except now I've gotten him used to the tactility of Bobas and Zealios because of the other 2 keyboards in use in the house, and he was disappointed by the feel of the Alps. :negative: Oh well, I think he'll grow to like it better than destroying his wrists typing on his Macbook every day.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

obi_ant posted:

I’m currently using a Logitech Pro and looking to maybe upgrade. I made a pros and cons list, I’m looking to spend less than $150. Any suggestions?

+ Mechanical
Compact and clean looking
Good build quality

+/- Rgb (nice, but not needed, backlit is nice though)
Gaming (not a serious / competitive gamer)

-Lack of a number pad (wife needs this.
Wired, no Bluetooth

There are a bunch of Leopold and Varmillo boards in-stock here with numpads around your price range: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4561

There's also the full-size GMMK here: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch This one is hot-swappable so you can easily put in different switches later if you want to try different types.

Edit: Looks like there's some Keychron C2s in stock as well if you pick blue switches and hot swappable, but blue switches may drive you a little insane: https://www.keychron.com/collections/keyboard/products/keychron-c2-wired-mechanical-keyboard?variant=32312457396313

Gearman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 7, 2021

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Gearman posted:

There are a bunch of Leopold and Varmillo boards in-stock here with numpads around your price range: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4561

There's also the full-size GMMK here: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch This one is hot-swappable so you can easily put in different switches later if you want to try different types.

Edit: Looks like there's some Keychron C2s in stock as well if you pick blue switches and hot swappable, but blue switches may drive you a little insane: https://www.keychron.com/collections/keyboard/products/keychron-c2-wired-mechanical-keyboard?variant=32312457396313

All corded though, is Bluetooth something not widely used because of latency issues?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

obi_ant posted:

All corded though, is Bluetooth something not widely used because of latency issues?

Bluetooth + RGB is basically a no go, you get about 10 hours before it needs to be recharged again.

Especially for a full-size keyboard

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

obi_ant posted:

There are also some conflicts with open source firmware licenses.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Bluetooth + RGB is basically a no go, you get about 10 hours before it needs to be recharged again.

Especially for a full-size keyboard

I haven’t even considered that.

Midjack posted:

There are also some conflicts with open source firmware licenses.

Always about the money :shakes fist:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The only cheapish non-wired full size mechanical keyboard is the Keychron K4. You can't get RGB.

e: actually it's not full size but it does have a numpad. You might want to consider a TKL (tenkeyless) and a separate standalone numpad, that would open up some options.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Did somebody say stupid keyboard??

I'm actually considering getting this as a gift so my wife can enjoy proper, productive typing when using her iPad Pro. She really enjoys the Ducky One with Cherry Browns that I got her for a previous gift, so this might be a success too.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Gonna build my first kit (Idobao ID80 v1) in a week or so. I know the kit comes with some cherry clip-in stabs, but is it worth upgrading them to Durock screw-ins? I plan to lube them with some Krytox 205g0. Is the benefit from screw-ins just less potential for rattle?

I’ll be pairing them with some lubed Alpaca switches.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gunder posted:

Gonna build my first kit (Idobao ID80 v1) in a week or so. I know the kit comes with some cherry clip-in stabs, but is it worth upgrading them to Durock screw-ins? I plan to lube them with some Krytox 205g0. Is the benefit from screw-ins just less potential for rattle?

If they are the same stabs I got with my ID87, deffo replace them they are very rattly. Also got the Durock screw-ins in mine and they are far better, though I have not lubed them yet.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Did somebody say stupid keyboard??

I'm actually considering getting this as a gift so my wife can enjoy proper, productive typing when using her iPad Pro. She really enjoys the Ducky One with Cherry Browns that I got her for a previous gift, so this might be a success too.

For what it is worth, LTT did a comparison of a few of these. I think this was one of the "better", but all of them were not that great. The keys/keycaps, mimicking the typewriter layout just didn't feel great and were meh at best to actually type on. That one does at least have Cherry switches, so hopefully helps.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Gunder posted:

What is the extra PCB option on this thing's store page for? I've seen that with a few custom kits, and I've never seen it explained. Also, it's a pretty cool looking macro pad!

Extra PCBs are nice to have if the original breaks or if you want build up a PCB with another switch type. Desoldering you can inadvertently burn up or tear a trace off. I have a K Type that is dead at the moment due to a couple traces torn off as the hotswap sockets tore off. Hint: with hotswap, support the socket with your fingers if at all possible, especially if the plate sucks. Also, keyboards, you can build up other combinations of plate, muting/damper layer, and switch. Considering outside of like the 60% form factor, there’s a lot variation in PCB layouts as to dimensions.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Where else can I read/learn about these things without turning to the dreaded reddit?

My current board (durgod k320) is alright, but it pings something fierce and that sound has really started to bother me.

Specifically, I’m looking for a 65%-75% keeb that’s at most 31cm long. I would go smaller, but I need arrow keys. LEDs, preferably rgb, are necessary as I like to work in low light. Ideally something hotswappable, although i can settle for something that comes wired in with bobas or similar.

Does this exist for under 200 bucks?

The gmmk pro looks drat near perfect, although it’s slightly out of my price range and I’d rather not wait on a list.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where else can I read/learn about these things without turning to the dreaded reddit?

My current board (durgod k320) is alright, but it pings something fierce and that sound has really started to bother me.

Specifically, I’m looking for a 65%-75% keeb that’s at most 31cm long. I would go smaller, but I need arrow keys. LEDs, preferably rgb, are necessary as I like to work in low light. Ideally something hotswappable, although i can settle for something that comes wired in with bobas or similar.

The gmmk pro looks drat near perfect, although it’s slightly out of my price range and I’d rather not wait on a list.

if you reserve the GMMK pro, you get the reserve money off the price when your order's ready
so uh
kinda like paying for it in 2 installments i guess, might help your budget a little

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Head Bee Guy posted:

http://geekhack.org is the obsessive homeland for it all

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
A much smaller and less active forum that's still got some interesting/useful stuff: https://www.keebtalk.com/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Head Bee Guy posted:

I mean if you're cool with being without a keeb for a minute I'll mod your k320 for you.

I've got dynamat already cut and ready to go for that board. I've got 3 of them and just never got around to cracking open the last one.
The reason it pings so much though is the leaves of the cherry switches that come in it. You really need to swap the switches if you want to get rid of it. I recommend getting some KS3 from Kinetic labs and then putting whatever spring weight in it that you want. But if you want Bobas then I can just as easily swap those in as well.
I'm assuming you've got Cherry Black switches in it? Those are the worst offenders of the bunch. I actually kept my Blacks in one of the boards but lubed the everloving poo poo out of them and they're tolerable. They FEEL amazing but you can still tell they ping unless you use a THICK profile keycap like SA or ABS MT3.
I wouldn't recommend modding the k320 yourself unless you're real experienced already because the pcb is basically made of paper and the traces will melt/lift/break if you so much as look at them wrong.

But yeah if leaf ping bothers you then unfortunately you've ascended to the point where a $200 keeb likely isn't going to satisfy you. Welcome to the fray.

Gunder posted:

Properly tuned cherry clip ins are actually really fuckin good. Like the legit ones that is.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sorry for the double post but
EPBT Aesthetic is live!!!!!

https://cannonkeys.com/products/gb-epbt-aesthetic

https://imgur.com/a/8xnXsqb

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Lord help me, I‘m seriously considering buying this stupid rear end keyboard. My brain is the size of a marble and just as smooth.

Getting into keyboards was a mistake.

so full of whimsy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCPmaq960E&t=102s

I am having a hard time finding the keyboard I want at a price I want.
I have a blue-switched tenkeyless cheap mechanical that I use at home and for work. I used to use a Goldtouch split keyboard and I loved the ergonomics of it, but hated the terrible switches.
All the split keyboard options I see are either sub $100 and with lousy switches (Logitech or Microsoft keyboards), or like $200+ with good switches from bespoke options.

I just want all the good features and an uncommon form factor at a mass-produced commodity price, why is this so hard to find? :v:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

canyoneer posted:

so full of whimsy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCPmaq960E&t=102s

I am having a hard time finding the keyboard I want at a price I want.
I have a blue-switched tenkeyless cheap mechanical that I use at home and for work. I used to use a Goldtouch split keyboard and I loved the ergonomics of it, but hated the terrible switches.
All the split keyboard options I see are either sub $100 and with lousy switches (Logitech or Microsoft keyboards), or like $200+ with good switches from bespoke options.

I just want all the good features and an uncommon form factor at a mass-produced commodity price, why is this so hard to find? :v:

At risk of broken record, I do like the Freestyle 2 that I use recently, and my only issue with it is weird key arrangements in a few places (mostly I just miss ; vs ' a lot). It's not mechanical but it's a fairly pleasant membrane. $90.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SkyeAuroline posted:

At risk of broken record, I do like the Freestyle 2 that I use recently, and my only issue with it is weird key arrangements in a few places (mostly I just miss ; vs ' a lot). It's not mechanical but it's a fairly pleasant membrane. $90.

Hmm, I've used that before and didn't hate it. Perhaps I'll try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
welp, I just reserved a GMMK Pro. That drat rotary...

Who makes decent deskmats? Not looking for anything 'artisan,' just something durable and unassuming. My steelseries mousepad has already started to fray around the edges.