Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Suzie the Sphere Hunter's Cyberpunk video talked a lot about the adaptation from the ttrpg, seems she was a fan of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fU-2WGhu0s

Since I enjoyed the game (ish) myself I always enjoy somebody who takes the time to point out the things in the game that worked while pointing out even more could have worked if they'd, you know, finished the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kibayasu posted:

It sounds like the part about audio quality and comments at least is another case of taking too many Youtube comments to heart. From his usual opinions I’m betting he said something at some point within the last 7 years that pissed off the worst of the video game crowd, they’re still mad about it, and continue to say whatever they can think of to hurt someone.

Come to think of it I haven’t been able to watch some of his videos lately because they’re about games I still want to play myself first - Last of Us 2, RDR2, Disco Elysium to name a few. Well anyways back to spending hours in Valheim instead of playing those games :shepface:

yeah, he was always fantastic and even when i dont agree with his opinions, its always something interesting.

Dawgstar posted:

Since I enjoyed the game (ish) myself I always enjoy somebody who takes the time to point out the things in the game that worked while pointing out even more could have worked if they'd, you know, finished the game.

absolutely. i think the game is pretty solid but both are right that it has a lot of flaws.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 7, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Honestly the game should have been more linear.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Come to think of it I haven’t been able to watch some of his videos lately because they’re about games I still want to play myself first - Last of Us 2, RDR2, Disco Elysium to name a few. Well anyways back to spending hours in Valheim instead of playing those games :shepface:

Putting off Disco Elysium ended up paying off anyway since they're doing a massive update with full voice acting for everything

It's supposed to come out this month

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

repiv posted:

Putting off Disco Elysium ended up paying off anyway since they're doing a massive update with full voice acting for everything

It's supposed to come out this month

That will definitely get me to play it! Once I put the finishing touches on my sixth outpost and then move some ore over there via boat to forge stuff and then...

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I thank god almighty that a dev confirmed that the full voice acting will have a toggle for on/off also, because jesus christ, I don't hate any voice acting period, but I prefer to read most dialogue in an RPG, even more so one with a ten billion quadrillion word script like Disco Elysium, I feel like I'd go insane if everything was voiced while I was also trying to preferentially read it without just hitting my keyboard mute, especially even one more word from Cuno. The only thing I really want from the new update is the extra side cases that are apparently coming with it too.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 7, 2021

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, he was always fantastic and even when i dont agree with his opinions, its always something interesting.

He's also got a gift for a perfect turn of phrase as well. I've forgotten which game it was he was talking about when he said "well, I wanted more character and now I've got my wish and I have to smoke the whole carton", but it really made me laugh.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Fil5000 posted:

He's also got a gift for a perfect turn of phrase as well. I've forgotten which game it was he was talking about when he said "well, I wanted more character and now I've got my wish and I have to smoke the whole carton", but it really made me laugh.

He is one of the view youtubers I follow who don't sound like they are trying way to hard in their college essay, but is just very eloquent. It's hart to but into words, but the man really has a way with words.

edit: Like the, the way he describes why RDR works as western and as a game.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 7, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

It loses some of its bite because the illness only progresses when the plot requires it. Which is great for being able to enjoy the open world but hilarious when you get cutscenes about how ill you are and how little time you have and then proceed to tool around Night City looking for broken taxis and committing police sanctioned murder for ten hours.

There was a game that did this pretty well, depending on who you ask. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is centered around the player contracting a curse that gives them a ravenous hunger for souls. There's a special meter for your hunger and you constantly have to manage it one way or another, either giving into the hunger entirely which gives you more personal power overall but the more you give the quicker the gauge depletes. Or you can take a weird Zen Buddhist approach, meditation, fasting, and finding "safe" ways to indulge it (undead).

It's a really neat mechanic and the whole story revolves around it, but it does constantly cut into your regular exploration and conversation time that you expect from a CRPG, so I know a lot of people didn't like it. I think it was kind of amazing but it gave me so much trouble after a while that I had to use the console to tone down its severity just so I could finish the game without restarting.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

X-COM 2 also had a big ticking timer that people really hated, both in missions and in the overworld. I'll gladly admit I downloaded a handful of mods to tweak the initial obsession with [Time Until Failure] clocks that game had.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I can’t stand games with a real-time countdown, except when it’s only used very sparingly for specific missions. Otherwise I feel like the pressure ruins the enjoyment I would’ve had from taking things at my own pace.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Yardbomb posted:

I thank god almighty that a dev confirmed that the full voice acting will have a toggle for on/off also, because jesus christ, I don't hate any voice acting period, but I prefer to read most dialogue in an RPG, even more so one with a ten billion quadrillion word script like Disco Elysium, I feel like I'd go insane if everything was voiced while I was also trying to preferentially read it without just hitting my keyboard mute, especially even one more word from Cuno. The only thing I really want from the new update is the extra side cases that are apparently coming with it too.

I'm struggling through this in PoE2 right now. I start reading, then a few words in the VA cuts in and it completely scrambles my flow and I have to start over. I'm many hours in and it still happens. It's disruptive and unpleasant.

And I want to introduce some of the voice actors to the invention of the de-esser. Jesus Christ. It's not as bad as Grieving Mother's VA, but still…

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

X-COM 2 also had a big ticking timer that people really hated, both in missions and in the overworld. I'll gladly admit I downloaded a handful of mods to tweak the initial obsession with [Time Until Failure] clocks that game had.

XCOM 2 had a lot of problems like that, really

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

XCOM 2 had a lot of problems like that, really

Yeah, 2 was at the core still a fun tactical alien shooty, but going from a doomsday timer on the map, to turn timers in missions even though you insert in stealth, to poorly strict levels of turn timers in also objective heavy missions, to ironman runs borked by an enemy falling through a slit in the geometry or their turn not wanting to end because their seizing body isn't actually being dormant after death or one of the enemies even just deciding to be AI deadlocked on not wanting to do anything at all and man XCOM 2 had a real handful of ways to dump all over you if you for whatever reason selected the game-enforced ironman option.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bakeneko posted:

I can’t stand games with a real-time countdown, except when it’s only used very sparingly for specific missions. Otherwise I feel like the pressure ruins the enjoyment I would’ve had from taking things at my own pace.

I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand, gently caress countdowns in video games, on the other, as long as the consequences aren't permanent and final, I can deal with them as some sort of extra spice. Like in BoF5, where running down your dragon countdown just lets you enter a new-game plus with some bonuses. Or if it is for specific quests and I can save beforehand, that's fine too.

What I can't stand is a final, un-negotiable time limit like in some Atelier-games. I remember playing Ayesha, and when the timer neared it's (mild, to be fair) end, I had to get crack'n to reach at least some of the end-game goals. It was really annoying, since if I had hosed up at this point, I would have been forced to basically start an entirely new game.

There are also some adventure games where an invisible clock is ticking down, making you a dead man walking after a certain point without telling you. gently caress off with that poo poo, game. Falling into a hole and getting a funny epitaph is one thing, but just sandblasting all your progress down to zero is hellfuckery. :mad:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, 2 was at the core still a fun tactical alien shooty, but going from a doomsday timer on the map, to turn timers in missions even though you insert in stealth, to poorly strict levels of turn timers in also objective heavy missions, to ironman runs borked by an enemy falling through a slit in the geometry or their turn not wanting to end because their seizing body isn't actually being dormant after death or one of the enemies even just deciding to be AI deadlocked on not wanting to do anything at all and man XCOM 2 had a real handful of ways to dump all over you if you for whatever reason selected the game-enforced ironman option.

aside from the time limits there was also like 8 different concurrent but disconnected forms of currency that you needed to accrue separately and they were all equally important in progression with little control over when the game would actually decide to give them to you

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MonsieurChoc posted:

Suzie the Sphere Hunter's Cyberpunk video talked a lot about the adaptation from the ttrpg, seems she was a fan of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fU-2WGhu0s

That is a cool video.

The more I find out, there it appears as if CP2077 problems are very similar to Fallout 4's problem's at its core.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Alacron posted:

There was a game that did this pretty well, depending on who you ask. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is centered around the player contracting a curse that gives them a ravenous hunger for souls. There's a special meter for your hunger and you constantly have to manage it one way or another, either giving into the hunger entirely which gives you more personal power overall but the more you give the quicker the gauge depletes. Or you can take a weird Zen Buddhist approach, meditation, fasting, and finding "safe" ways to indulge it (undead).

It's a really neat mechanic and the whole story revolves around it, but it does constantly cut into your regular exploration and conversation time that you expect from a CRPG, so I know a lot of people didn't like it. I think it was kind of amazing but it gave me so much trouble after a while that I had to use the console to tone down its severity just so I could finish the game without restarting.

The big problem with the hunger meter is that the game's own pacing isn't built to accommodate it. if you go hard on a Hungry Man playthrough, it's possible to have your depletion so hight that in the Mage college, you'll go too long between viable targets that you'll starve even if you're speedrunning the area. I mean it absolutely fits thematically but it's not actually fun to realize decisions made hours ago have made the game unable to be completed and you long since overwrote the save file from before the point of no return

Like an unfortunately large part of their catalog, MotB is a fantastically written game needed more time in the oven for the... actual game part.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

A game like XCOM fundamentally needs time pressure and XCOM 2 is a better game for adding the timers, but the geoscape doomsday clock was an easy to manipulate joke even on the hardest difficulties and the battle timers, as generous as they are, could have used more granularity.

The weird thing is that Invisible Inc came out a year before XCOM 2 and did both better. The geoscape is a hard "you have 72 hours to prepare for the final mission" but encounters use a soft system where the guards slowly become more alert (but significantly less alert than, say, getting seen or starting a firefight). So there's an extreme amount of play in terms of how well or poorly an individual mission can go while at the same time the game can't be dragged out indefinitely.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Microcline posted:

A game like XCOM fundamentally needs time pressure and XCOM 2 is a better game for adding the timers

It was a better game once I turned off to lessened in-mission turn limits, those legit sucked so much fun out of the vanilla game for me, I'm not even an overwatch crawl type player either, they just felt like they were cramping my gameplay all the time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grunch Worldflower posted:

The big problem with the hunger meter is that the game's own pacing isn't built to accommodate it. if you go hard on a Hungry Man playthrough, it's possible to have your depletion so hight that in the Mage college, you'll go too long between viable targets that you'll starve even if you're speedrunning the area. I mean it absolutely fits thematically but it's not actually fun to realize decisions made hours ago have made the game unable to be completed and you long since overwrote the save file from before the point of no return

And on the other side, if you go hard on a Nice Boy playthrough the hunger meter never comes into play and you might as well not be cursed to begin with.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Grunch Worldflower posted:

You can eat your own summons I believe

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Libluini posted:

I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand, gently caress countdowns in video games, on the other, as long as the consequences aren't permanent and final, I can deal with them as some sort of extra spice. Like in BoF5, where running down your dragon countdown just lets you enter a new-game plus with some bonuses. Or if it is for specific quests and I can save beforehand, that's fine too.

What I can't stand is a final, un-negotiable time limit like in some Atelier-games. I remember playing Ayesha, and when the timer neared it's (mild, to be fair) end, I had to get crack'n to reach at least some of the end-game goals. It was really annoying, since if I had hosed up at this point, I would have been forced to basically start an entirely new game.

There are also some adventure games where an invisible clock is ticking down, making you a dead man walking after a certain point without telling you. gently caress off with that poo poo, game. Falling into a hole and getting a funny epitaph is one thing, but just sandblasting all your progress down to zero is hellfuckery. :mad:

Ever since that mobile game they dared call "Breath of Fire 6" I can't be mad at 5 ever again.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Schwarzwald posted:

And on the other side, if you go hard on a Nice Boy playthrough the hunger meter never comes into play and you might as well not be cursed to begin with.

This was actually my first playthrough so I didn't understand why everyone was complaining so much. An evil playthrough couldn't possibly be that bad, could it?

It could.

The Chad Jihad posted:

You can eat your own summons I believe

Yeah there's a few tricks to help you get through it but they're limited in whether or not you could do them. Once again, thematically interesting to summon spirits as sentient trail mix that can feel pain but it's more.of a hack than something you're expected to use and IIRC the game never recognizes the hosed up thing you're doing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like time limited Atelier games because they're relatively short for RPGs and you can replay them and use your accumulated knowledge to get more/better endings and see parts of the game like events and sometimes even entire areas you might have missed the first time around. Everything's built around mastering the systems and learning how to play smarter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

i am the opposite and i can't wait for everything to be read to me by some podcaster person or voice actress with a soft voice describing jizz cover pants or some poo poo.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly the game should have been more linear.

yeah. it should have been alot more like deus ex HR/witcher 3 or rdr2. open world but the story is liniar and most of the quest chains are linear too. they tried the Ubisoft model and they don't know how it works or what makes it work with maybe some random gun fights and poo poo.

Fil5000 posted:

yeah. he has weirdly stream of concious mixed of noirish way of describing stuff and he always nails the feel of something. i wish i had his gifts.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I prefer the Atelier games without timers, but it’s not a deal-breaker for me if they have them. It’s one of those situations where everything else about the game is so good that I can overlook one or two flaws. Plus, with the exception of the first half of Mysterious Journey, the timers don’t count down in real time so it’s less stressful.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The timer in dead rising was cool.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Vagabong posted:

Off The Record was one of the best DR's for multiple reasons, but a high one is that it gave you your "Go nuts, no timers, random spawn events" sandbox mode from the very start.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Vagabong posted:

I've only played 2 and Off the Record but I think one of the reasons the timer works well in Dead Rising is that it isn't so much a timer as it is a schedule - since story events always happen in the same window of time, you can't really "fall behind" like in a lot of other games with big time limits. Sure, you can still end up in situations where you can't make it to all the side stuff while still having time to prepare, but functionally it ends up working more like a lot of smaller time limits rather than just one big one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Honestly the later stage X-COM games all feel like they're on kind of a timer where if you research laser weapons by a certain point, the game continuing is but the merest formality. Although seriously the Avatar Project was very unnerving initially until I got the hang of the mechanics then it's like riding it out until you have scant few hours left and go 'okay, fine, I GUESS I'll go blow up a Black Site Bradford GEEZ."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
welp, chalk up another couple of videos that made me immediately go out and buy an incredible game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZcbTdsGR4&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWxqgPc-zEQ&hd=1

and the lich looks weirdly like a more gothic Sans from undertale

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I never knew what the extent of certain parts of the Left's hatred of "breadtube" was, almost as much as right wing reactionaries. Lots of sour grapes over this:

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1367597095344029698

I wanted to see the replies, because I hate myself, and it's the usual reactionaries getting mad at him but also some Leftists calling him "self-important" because he has hours long critiques and gushes about games and TV shows. Sure, it's a bit silly but that's kind of lumping pretty thoughtful analysis with incoherent rambling over SJWs and other nonsense. (Though, I looked through some of their feeds and it's 90% of them bitching about worthless poo poo so maybe they feel their identity is under attack or something)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
IIRC, the original X-COM also had a timer of sorts; there was no big ticking clock on the HUD, but the way the alien diplomacy events worked meant it was impossible to prevent nations from pulling their funding indefinitely (unless you managed to pull off some really difficult big-time cheese moves shooting down a specific really fast UFO on the geoscape) and you were effectively racing against the clock to stop the invasion before you got shut down. And while I can't remember for sure, I think the actual battle maps had a mechanic where if you dicked around too long all the aliens would suddenly gain omniscience and rush directly after your guys regardless of where they were on the map.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly the later stage X-COM games all feel like they're on kind of a timer where if you research laser weapons by a certain point, the game continuing is but the merest formality. Although seriously the Avatar Project was very unnerving initially until I got the hang of the mechanics then it's like riding it out until you have scant few hours left and go 'okay, fine, I GUESS I'll go blow up a Black Site Bradford GEEZ."

My favorite thing about X-COM 2 was that you could just upgrade your guys so they could take multiple turns and by the end of the game I just had this super squad that would run around creeping behind aliens, shotgunning them in the spine, high-five eachother and do it again. Fun times. I'm real disappointed we haven't gotten a third game where you go attack the alien base yet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

You know, I never knew what the extent of certain parts of the Left's hatred of "breadtube" was, almost as much as right wing reactionaries. Lots of sour grapes over this:

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1367597095344029698

I wanted to see the replies, because I hate myself, and it's the usual reactionaries getting mad at him but also some Leftists calling him "self-important" because he has hours long critiques and gushes about games and TV shows. Sure, it's a bit silly but that's kind of lumping pretty thoughtful analysis with incoherent rambling over SJWs and other nonsense. (Though, I looked through some of their feeds and it's 90% of them bitching about worthless poo poo so maybe they feel their identity is under attack or something)

Their brains are probably already so broken that they’re invested in the amount of engagement their tweets get, and anyone like that is going to be furious about someone making enough to live on from youtube videos. If it’s from the left, 9/10 it’s about someone not deserving their efame for some reason or another, which then drives them to catalogue crimes and transgressions that show how unjust it is that so-and-so can make money on the internet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean to be fair leftists do invest way to much in what is effectively useless Internet personalities. Though breadtube or whatever is much farther down the list of problematic online personalities. Especially with people like Jimmy Dore and for some reason Glenn Greenwald running around

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

That got changed in War of the Chosen (or maybe a patch?), you permanently lose whatever time counts down on the timer after the doom track ticks over.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

welp, chalk up another couple of videos that made me immediately go out and buy an incredible game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZcbTdsGR4&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWxqgPc-zEQ&hd=1

and the lich looks weirdly like a more gothic Sans from undertale

It's even got a demo on Steam. I like the trend of demos coming back. Still need to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's even got a demo on Steam. I like the trend of demos coming back. Still need to try it out.
I have not played it myself yet, only watched Day9's stream, but I suggest not watching the trailer at all and just going right in. The trailer spoils a bunch of stuff you unlock, kind of a bummer. It definitely has a lot of "oh, so that's how that works!" and "what will the game do if I do this?" sort of appeal.