Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I hope in a future update they make it so comfort items radius is vastly increased, it's weird having to hunt for the most comfy spot in large buildings.

Yeah, and it feels weird to throw a banner up inside a building because the sleeping rooms aren't close enough to the walls to get within the radius.

Also benches overriding chairs sucks. :( on the plus side I can build sconces now and so can actually loving see things inside without a torch or weird standing ones. Also can stock heads on stakes. Bronze brings some really nice advances to comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Our longhouse has a dragon bed above a drop ceiling because I couldn't come up with a natural way to get the comfort bonus near all the other comfort stuff. :smith:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goddamn it

How am I supposed to get my corpse from up there?

Edit: Wait for the day apparantly

genericnick fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 7, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vanadium posted:

Our longhouse has a dragon bed above a drop ceiling because I couldn't come up with a natural way to get the comfort bonus near all the other comfort stuff. :smith:

"nah it's cool, i don't need to sleep on it. i just... like to know it's there."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can harpoon ghosts! But don't!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm debating whether or not to kill Bonemass on my group's "main" server or get people together to kill him on a mirror server. My friends are mostly casual builder types and I'm concerned killing Bonemass will ramp up the difficulty and dissuade them from Viking legos.

Is the increase in difficulty noticeable after Bonemass? Do wolves and ice drakes attack your base after he's been defeated?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've had one drake invasion

Invasions are really rare in general

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm debating whether or not to kill Bonemass on my group's "main" server or get people together to kill him on a mirror server. My friends are mostly casual builder types and I'm concerned killing Bonemass will ramp up the difficulty and dissuade them from Viking legos.

Is the increase in difficulty noticeable after Bonemass? Do wolves and ice drakes attack your base after he's been defeated?

Ice drakes attack, but they can cower in their buildings and shoot them with bows, skeletons do start wandering the world I noticed but those mostly kill gray dwarves and deer at night.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

~I'm like 20 pages behind still are we still posting screenshots?~

Nice parquet flooring

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

In my experience the comfort bonus gets overwritten if you walk into a more comfortable area while you're a full rest. My rested timer amount always jumps up when I walk through my main hall where all the decorations are on the way out the door

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Khanstant posted:

It's odd there's no gamma slider, I reckon that's something that should be in by full release.

I do appreciate the game actually being dark, both because it's something you really are required to manage and confront mechanically, but also because so many games have really milquetoast nights where thedarkest dark is basically full sunlight but with a cooler tint and star skybox.

Still, accessibility and hardware differences should necessitate some control over it. Mechanically I would hope the game adds more progression for lighting solutions. I'd love a solarpanel boss whose head I could mount as a permanent major lightsource.

edit: How much dang room does a saplnig need to grow? Trying to just grow one decorative tree inside my castle's portal room, no roof over this chunk of castle, already got my big rocks and some plants and stuff growing in there. Does the tree not grow close to bigstones or is the proximity of all the castle stuff?

Potentially dumb question, but is your monitor calibrated correctly? Mine wasn't for years, but I finally stumbled across this site which helped immensely. Haven't had problems seeing stuff in Valheim even on the darkest nights.

Disclaimer: I do play in a darkened room, and my eyes can actually night adjust a bit during nights ingame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I found the game to be bright enough that I never saw the point in buying or building lights other than for aesthetics.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I found the game to be bright enough that I never saw the point in buying or building lights other than for aesthetics.

I find it bright enough that I don't need light for most things, but I'll be damned if anytime I try to build in the dark I wake up and find out none of my poo poo is lined up right and I've got random pieces snapped to the wrong things.

For those of you who may ask "why build in the dark?" I don't have a good answer, I just can't stop.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

"nah it's cool, i don't need to sleep on it. i just... like to know it's there."
That bed is for Odin

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
So I'm going about my viking business and I see an oddly pointy rock ahead. I was going to sail over anyways because I'm always mapping sandbars, rocks, and other navigation hazards and... I know this must be a world gen bug because the whole vicinity is a screwy barely submerged area but it looks cool. Not pictured: the dragur making angry ineffectual dragur noises under my longboat. My map now contains a marker 'sunken hut'. I love this game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

So I'm going about my viking business and I see an oddly pointy rock ahead. I was going to sail over anyways because I'm always mapping sandbars, rocks, and other navigation hazards and... I know this must be a world gen bug because the whole vicinity is a screwy barely submerged area but it looks cool. Not pictured: the dragur making angry ineffectual dragur noises under my longboat. My map now contains a marker 'sunken hut'. I love this game.

I think they will need to make a "small island" biome for how often you travel through biomes that are entirely underwater.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think they will need to make a "small island" biome for how often you travel through biomes that are entirely underwater.

Don't spoiler me because I haven't finished the swamp yet and I'm picking up hints that there's something related, but an underwater biome would be kinda cool. Like drink a water-breathing potion and fight dragurs while raiding sunken longboats or something like that. Make it a Fjord and throw in some flavor about ancient poo poo coming out of melting glaciers.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

this game kinda feels like what i imagined quake would be based on john romero's pre-release interviews

of course quake was nothing like that promise, but this is neato

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Do people in this thread use a particular Discord for playing together or anything? I've just been playing solo and with my wife, but I want to branch out a little more.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A friend gave me his old sweaty Wolf armor and Silver sword + shield so I kinda leapfrogged a lot of stuff in the swamp and mountain. I went straight for crypts / dragon eggs and killed Bonemass and Moder tonight.

Bonemass is just a HP sack not really interesting. I hope they adjust the amount of HP depending on the amount of players in the vicinity (like they add or remove the boss trophies). There's really no reason I should spend 200 arrows on a boss from a perch. I know this is early access but the bosses are kind of... not fun.

The swamp can eat dicks (blobs are just annoying) but I really dig the mountains (sometimes literally, heehee). The blizzard/snow storm casts a really good ambiance.

Seems like with the Artisan's table I got a shitload of new crafting to do and head for the mountains. I have yet to buy anything from the merchant, I'm waiting to have 999/999 gp to visit him. What are the must have items?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Furism posted:

A friend gave me his old sweaty Wolf armor and Silver sword + shield so I kinda leapfrogged a lot of stuff in the swamp and mountain. I went straight for crypts / dragon eggs and killed Bonemass and Moder tonight.

Bonemass is just a HP sack not really interesting. I hope they adjust the amount of HP depending on the amount of players in the vicinity (like they add or remove the boss trophies). There's really no reason I should spend 200 arrows on a boss from a perch. I know this is early access but the bosses are kind of... not fun.

The swamp can eat dicks (blobs are just annoying) but I really dig the mountains (sometimes literally, heehee). The blizzard/snow storm casts a really good ambiance.

Seems like with the Artisan's table I got a shitload of new crafting to do and head for the mountains. I have yet to buy anything from the merchant, I'm waiting to have 999/999 gp to visit him. What are the must have items?

There’s a belt that increases carry weight as the only real “must have”. Fishing rod is a fun gimmick but it’s not a very efficient way to farm food. There’s also a headlamp which is pretty neat and I found it to be helpful in the swamps when I was doing mass earth flattening.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bonemass is "supposed" to be a melee fight as a poison pot pretty much negates all of its damage. But the throng of adds that move in on you make it zero fun to hang out there, there isn't enough stamina regen to keep everything under control.

I like stuff to be a challenge but they pretty much rigged it so everyone is gonna cheese it with arrows.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Jarmak posted:

Don't spoiler me because I haven't finished the swamp yet and I'm picking up hints that there's something related, but an underwater biome would be kinda cool. Like drink a water-breathing potion and fight dragurs while raiding sunken longboats or something like that. Make it a Fjord and throw in some flavor about ancient poo poo coming out of melting glaciers.

These would be amazing. Given the rest of the games visuals I'm sure it would look amazing.

Throw in some sea caves full of sea serpents.

If they do add underwater stuff I'd like to preemptively mock the first person that drowns because they only brought one water-breathing potion and are now going off about how this game is stupid, underwater levels are stupid, and this game is too punishing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any food mods yet? Something like that hotkey mod where there are just three spots you can put food in and auto eat. I'd say 90% of my deaths are due to food wearing off and the feedback for that being awful

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Also looking for a Discord or another way to find party members without rolling the dice by opening up my game to everyone.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

because server sizes are so small, rather than spin up a valheim specific discord that'll get one post per fortnight after about a month, it might make sense to just create a private games server thread and have people coordinate in there.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There was a private server thread posted earlier, but a discord wouldn't be tough. Just have one in general for Valheim goons then have a separate text and voice channels for specific servers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hah. This must be the third time I have to build a raft, because an ooze jumped me on my way to set up a portal base. Though one of those times I got eaten by some sea snakes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

xzzy posted:

Bonemass is "supposed" to be a melee fight as a poison pot pretty much negates all of its damage. But the throng of adds that move in on you make it zero fun to hang out there, there isn't enough stamina regen to keep everything under control.

I like stuff to be a challenge but they pretty much rigged it so everyone is gonna cheese it with arrows.

Turnip stew, sausages, and honey (for regen) is the answer. Just put honey and poison resist on hotbar, refresh as needed, fully upgraded iron mace and you're set. Dodge roll his melee attack and triple hit (double if you're cautious.) When he vomits just zip out of the area and take a breather while you regen stamina to full.

Strategy for the adds differs. For a fast kill, slam him for extra hits while he's winding up to throw the blob o' enemies. For a longer but more chill fight, run to where the blob will land and kill all 4 spawns in one or two swings.

His ridiculous telegraph times for his attacks is what makes this fight manageable.

It takes more effort and time to cheese him than to just kill him.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ice drakes attack, but they can cower in their buildings and shoot them with bows, skeletons do start wandering the world I noticed but those mostly kill gray dwarves and deer at night.

Drakes killed all my boars and I gave up on animal husbandry after that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i know nothing about this game but I'm burnt on poe, is this cool with a gamepad?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Do we know if weather is based on world seed?

This new world I'm on the weather is absolutely nuts. It's almost always a storm that makes hurricanes look like nothing or fog so thick you can't see the end of your boat. I kept track of the first 50 days and there was only 6 days with playable weather.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dalaram posted:

So mid game, post bronze tip.

I was getting my rear end kicked sailing long distances, dying, then having to build a large to get back.
When you’ve got your main Sutling cores economy up, build incremental waypoints as you sail. Every half day or so, find a beach or island, drop a toolbench and a portal. You don’t even need a return portal! Just mark it in the map, with whatever you named it. (Make sure it’s unique). If you ever get smoked, have a recovery portal at your base that you link to the nearest recovery point, throw a Karve in your pocket, and recover.

Especially with how slow boat mechanics are, this was keeping me from rage quitting when getting thrashed by an errant deathsquito or poison attack.

(And if that’s too much work, there is a fly mode you can enable to get back to your corpse. Because gently caress sailing across the seven seas nude just to recover your A-lost equipment.)

This is from a few pages ago, but I'm bumping it because it's such a good tip. We went boating a week ago and almost died to a draugr infested village before we got a portal down. We both hit sub 20 HP and would have been 100% boned had we died.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Floppychop posted:

There was a private server thread posted earlier, but a discord wouldn't be tough. Just have one in general for Valheim goons then have a separate text and voice channels for specific servers.

There’s a discord already set up for goons playing Valheim. Its uhhh right here.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hi, I just need to vent. Post-boss-3 spoilers

My game has no silver apparently. I got the wishbone from Bonemass, and ran around 3 mountains (what I've learned are very small mountains), and it didn't signal one time. I wasted a ton of time sailing, finding mountains, making some sort of encampment and finding absolutely nothing on mountains. One of the 3 had obsidian at least.

Today, I just sailed 2/3 the way to the edge of the map and found a fourth, bigger mountain. I ran around it and finally got the wishbong to ping. I dug and dug... and I'm as low as I can go... and there's no silver. My wishbone is ringing like mad, and I can't go any lower. If I move in any direction, the signal is less-intense.

I love this game, but all this represents like a week or more of play sessions for me, and I just want to poo poo myself about it

Thanks

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can animal attacks be parried or blocked with a shield?

What's the secret to parrying a troll attack? I tried it a few times but I can't seem to get the timing right and then I have to run for my life after he smashes me.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

My silver tier has been cursed as well, but for different reasons. Somehow the game decided to start just not saving progress randomly. I am running with some mods, so it could well be my fault. Hard to test, though, when it's very hit or miss. But I had to redo my 'scout out a mountain and mark the silver veins for mining' trip like 4 times because it just kept losing everything and loading me back up before I left the base. When I was finally at the 'if this happens once more I'm just going to spawn the ore in' level of frustration, then it magically decided to start working fine and I mined out 5 or 6 silver veins worth. Although it did screw up again and lose a little bit of mining progress, but fortunately that save was only about half an hour of progress I did one morning before work, so it didn't hurt much to redo.

And with how many times I had to go back for more iron, I decided I was going to stock up on as much silver as I could. And I think I probably mined out way too much. I'm guessing that tier is unfinished, being early access and all. But at least I'll have a couple of chests of silver ore if and when they introduce more things to do with it.

E:

Zwabu posted:

What's the secret to parrying a troll attack? I tried it a few times but I can't seem to get the timing right and then I have to run for my life after he smashes me.

So far I haven't seen anything that can't be parried. Animals and trolls definitely can be. The game is really forgiving on its parry window, but you don't want to wait too long. If you're trying to parry like you would in a souls-like game and hitting it right as the swing connects, you're too late. Big slow viking can't lift shield fast. You want to be early, like start the parry when the enemy has just started their swing towards you. Some enemies do have a long windup and then swing quite quickly, though, so it can help to just normal block a few hits while you get used to the timing and then just go off of memory rather than watching for specific cues.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 8, 2021

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Zwabu posted:

Yes I've parried animals I think, they don't have big wind ups though so it's tough to time

The parry window on trolls seems pretty generous. Hit the button when they reach back to take a swing at you I think? Remember you need at least a bronze shield. Wood shields don't have the blocking power to stop trolls

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Found the world's best swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I hope in a future update they make it so comfort items radius is vastly increased, it's weird having to hunt for the most comfy spot in large buildings.

This is a purpose-made comfort pit. It has everything needed to reach 16(no lox rug yet). If I wiggle a little to the right, I'll hit 16, even though I'm well within radius of everything where I stand. The hearth is under the floorboards, but it doesn't need to be lit if the brazier is, according to the wiki. It can't be the hearth anyway, because that's 2 comfort.

Basically, I think comfort is a little jank right now.