Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Uthor posted:

I thought that you couldn't specify what your body was being used for so as not to influence the study that is being done (you don't want a self selecting sample but a random one). But I was looking at it and various institutions do let you to donate directly to them. But, however, I guess they can sell your body on a market for these things anyway?

There's a longform Reuters series about body donation and the body trade that is interesting and horrifying and worth a read: https://www.reuters.com/investigates/section/usa-bodies/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MikeCrotch posted:

I've been looking into donating my brain because I'm pretty sure I've developed CTE from playing American football :(
I think in a case like this you can donate your brain to a specific research group. It's important to have research on all football player brains, not just the pros, to see if CTE happens just from playing youth ball from Pop Warner through High School.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/neon_evangayion/status/1367915158195027975

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's like that meme where people would photoshop extra eyes onto everything.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Also pretty choice that the first comment describes it as "trypophobic groverhaus" :allears:

:grovertoot:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

They just loving love electricity fires.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oh groverhaus is on the market?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Smart, never have to worry about finding an extension cord ever again!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How much drop would you get on a circuit for each one of those you add?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Its a lot of plugs, but it wouldn’t look nearly as bad if them and the lights weren’t all loving chrome plated.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I imagine a lot of them are just fake faceplates

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I have a feeling that’s someone who had ocd and absolutely had to have everything they own plugged in

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

20 Blunts posted:

complete loving idiot driver and spotter. gently caress them and their careers

Mood.

Also that house is viscerally upsetting

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

That's just a house that got turned into an office, probably tv/video production with 4 plugs per workstation plus an av/test setup with loads more, +network ports, etc.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Some Guy From NY posted:

holy poo poo.

Warning: The person does not survive this.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/06/woman-found-dead-in-street-may-have-been-hit-by-car-cops-say/

------

Heartbreaking video obtained by The Post has solved the mystery of what happened to a woman found crushed to death Friday on a Brooklyn street — she was struck by a backhoe whose driver apparently never even saw her.

The video shows the yellow construction vehicle striking 61-year-old Estelle Davis with its shovel before running her over and dragging her along the corner of New Lots and Van Sinderen Avenues in East New York.

Neither the driver nor a worker nearby appears to notice as Davis falls and then disappears under the vehicle.

----------

There was even a spotter for the backhoe and this still happened.

A similar thing happened near here a few years ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/interpaving-elgin-street-lawsuit-settled-1.5534022

""The grader was reversing, the view was obstructed, people were endangered and there was no signaller present," McCaskill said. [...] Cecile Paquette, 58, was killed after she was run over by a grader on Elgin Street in September 2015."

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I remember an accident in the UK, years ago. A JCB was being transported on the back of a lorry, and they somehow hadn't secured it properly. As it rounded a corner the shovel swung out and went through a car coming in the opposite direction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ah, the home of Sarah Edison, who was so haunted by the ghosts of those who died to electrocution she decreed that the sound of wiring must never stop

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

impossiboobs posted:

A similar thing happened near here a few years ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/interpaving-elgin-street-lawsuit-settled-1.5534022

""The grader was reversing, the view was obstructed, people were endangered and there was no signaller present," McCaskill said. [...] Cecile Paquette, 58, was killed after she was run over by a grader on Elgin Street in September 2015."

In my town a homeless woman was sleeping in an alleyway and got run over by an garbage truck :(

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I 2005 I rented a house with some college friends and it had a mostly unfinished basement... except for a windowless room with a couple dozen 20A outlets. Gee I wonder

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Stoatbringer posted:

I remember an accident in the UK, years ago. A JCB was being transported on the back of a lorry, and they somehow hadn't secured it properly. As it rounded a corner the shovel swung out and went through a car coming in the opposite direction.

Thats some final destination level poo poo right there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://i.imgur.com/hdYhopu.mp4

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Failed attempt to air cushion, or intentional destruction?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

xtal posted:

In my town a homeless woman was sleeping in an alleyway and got run over by an garbage truck :(

In my college town a bus driver ran over a kid hiding in a pile of leaves to surprise his dad when he got off the bus.

I drove the same route. hosed up poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

In my college town a bus driver ran over a kid hiding in a pile of leaves to surprise his dad when he got off the bus.

I drove the same route. hosed up poo poo.

I've heard a story like that, but the dad hitting the kid. Could be an urban legend, though.

There's a band that I enjoy that was leaving a gig with their van and trailer when a woman stepped between the two at a red light without their knowledge and they dragged her for several blocks. I gave money to her GoFundMe and get the occasional updates of months long comas and basically full facial reconstructive surgery.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xtal posted:

Happened here, too, but it was more a parking lot than an alley.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

JackSplater posted:

Probably the former, you can see the big concrete thing that got in the way near the base of the glass

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The cobblestones look way too uneven for that to have ever been successful

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JackSplater posted:

I think it's stupid that they tried to do it there, especially with that block in the way, but to me it looks like they are very deliberately and consistently pushing it over for the few seconds before it hits the tipping point.

who knows

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they were attempting to air cushion it, they are morons. It requires a smooth, flat surface and there isn't a big enough flat surface anywhere near there.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1368569715149377538

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Uthor posted:

I've heard a story like that, but the dad hitting the kid. Could be an urban legend, though.

There's a band that I enjoy that was leaving a gig with their van and trailer when a woman stepped between the two at a red light without their knowledge and they dragged her for several blocks. I gave money to her GoFundMe and get the occasional updates of months long comas and basically full facial reconstructive surgery.

One of the least horrifying farm accidents I saw as a kid was a worker who jumped between a slow moving tractor and it's trailer and caught his foot in the little triangle bit behind the hitch. I don't know what it's called, but this bit:

Then got dragged under the trailer for about 20 metres as everyone shouted for the driver to stop.

hosed his knee up so badly he never walked without a cane again.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

You won't fool me again this time, OSHA twitter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of the least horrifying farm accidents

[…]

hosed his knee up so badly he never walked without a cane again.

No further questions.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

I think it's stupid that they tried to do it there, especially with that block in the way, but to me it looks like they are very deliberately and consistently pushing it over for the few seconds before it hits the tipping point.

who knows

They were definitely intentionally trying to get it to fall away from the grabber.

To what end though? :iiam:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

Ah, the home of Sarah Edison, who was so haunted by the ghosts of those who died to electrocution she decreed that the sound of wiring must never stop

:golfclap:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

International welding opinions
https://twitter.com/RoseColoredVoid/status/1368730500186202119

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

is this the social media equivalent of those forklift driver born on the third weekend of August shirts?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/WFhnuIS.mp4

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=du9_Kn2y2VA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This is cursed