Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DemoneeHo posted:

Or it could be set in 2004 and be based on your gaia online profile instead
A rumor spreads around Inaba about a site you pay 1000 yen to join.

Yu and his friends have to save people from their Helldump threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dungeon crawling means jumping into FYAD.

Lowtax as final boss.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Take an all-bro party for the endboss because he can only hit women.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
P5R making the challenge battles DLC is a dick move.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Well I did it, I got to the ending credits which means after 133 hours I completed all of P5R.

This sums it up really well for me, too.

P4G is probably my overall favourite, it takes a while to really get going but once it does... Man, you thought you were sad P5R was over?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SubG posted:

Take an all-bro party for the endboss because he can only hit women.

You better sos calls when he does tho

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok I lied in my post about waiting "weeks" before starting P4G...I couldn't even make it 24 hours. I started playing something else (Control) but found my mind wandering and wanting something more upbeat, more...Persona. Said "gently caress it why not" and loaded up P4G on Steam.

I'm an hour in and the first murder has occurred but so far it seems promising. I like the music, it is definitely more J-pop and boppy but I think it fits well with the time frame of the game (mid-2000s?) and I find myself nodding along to it.

The graphics are surprisingly good, especially the character models. I can't believe this was originally a PS2 game. The hub areas are of course smaller because of it's PS2 roots, but it doesn't seem to hold the game back because it is suppose to take place in a small town. The sound seems a little muted compared to how crisp it was in PS5, but again, I think that's because of it's PS2 roots.

Otherwise, so far, it feels like more Persona! And this alone makes me happy.

Just avoid looking directly at Igor's bird hand claws.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok another observation.

Despite the fact the father is never around, and Nanako orders take-out every night, Yu has a much more varied and healthier diet than Joker. Who spent a year subsisting on coffee, curry, and Big Bang Burger.

With the occasional all you can eat buffet and sushi and ramen.

Even Kawakami scolds you for your poo poo diet lol.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok another observation.

Despite the fact the father is never around, and Nanako orders take-out every night, Yu has a much more varied and healthier diet than Joker. Who spent a year subsisting on coffee, curry, and Big Bang Burger.

With the occasional all you can eat buffet and sushi and ramen.

Even Kawakami scolds you for your poo poo diet lol.

I didn't really realize until I played P4G but P5 feels like it was written by ticking checkboxes in a "opposite of P4" list.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know I've talked about this before but it blows my mind the kids in P2IS all have cell phones. Just random high school kids in the late 90s have cell phones?

I come from a poor family and was a;sp raised by my grandmother but we moved to a nice suburb for the last half of my education and I don't recall everyone in my school having a cell phone.

Also GTA3 in 2001 had a fuckin' pager as your thing. That's what I remember everyone having in he late 90s and early 2000s.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Japan if I am not mistaken is usually a little ahead of the U.S., or at least used to be when it came to tech. Didn't most cell phones get started in Japan?

The Iphone definitely changed all that.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just love that (Persona 5 late game spoiler) Igor's voice change was actually relevant. I thought they just decided to go in a different direction, and was weirded out, but then there was actually a reason.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastajake posted:

I just love that (Persona 5 late game spoiler) Igor's voice change was actually relevant. I thought they just decided to go in a different direction, and was weirded out, but then there was actually a reason.

For longtime persona fans the first hint it's not just a new direction is him referring to it as "my" velvet room

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

mastajake posted:

Ha, as a Persona newbie playing P5R before anything else I actually preferred Fake Igor's voice to the real one

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Adrianics posted:

Ha, as a Persona newbie playing P5R before anything else I actually preferred Fake Igor's voice to the real one

Yeah it just felt right. Going to 3 from 5 was interesting in that regard

Acerbatus posted:

For longtime persona fans the first hint it's not just a new direction is him referring to it as "my" velvet room

... due for a replay of Royal or Vanilla and you just gave me something to watch out for

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Acerbatus posted:

Ah, I only played 4G before 5R, so I noted that it was different, but not enough to be a clue. I also was thrown off by noticing the pancakes thing the first time through. It tipped me off that Akechi was important, but not that he would be the villain.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Adrianics posted:

IIRC the Japanese version reuses lines because the original VA died, while the dub just have him voiced by the guy who voices the SIU Director (Kirk Thornton).

I really likes Dan Worren's performance in 3 and 4 tho, and Igor in general. He just has a very neat visual design.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

YaketySass posted:

IIRC the Japanese version reuses lines because the original VA died, while the dub just have him voiced by the guy who voices the SIU Director (Kirk Thornton).

I really likes Dan Worren's performance in 3 and 4 tho, and Igor in general. He just has a very neat visual design.

might be the reason Igor isn’t present in Strikers

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Igor's VA dying is the reason why he hasn't been in any of the spinoffs, IIRC

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
TBH the Yaldabaoth plotline seemed like the perfect excuse to "retire" the character definitely, but maybe they felt it would be poorly received?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

YaketySass posted:

TBH the Yaldabaoth plotline seemed like the perfect excuse to "retire" the character definitely, but maybe they felt it would be poorly received?

A lot of characters die with their voice actors in Japan if Colonel Campbell’s any example to go off of.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The velvet room used to have other folks in it, bring back Belladonna and Nameless and Demon Painter.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

YaketySass posted:

I am insistent it isn't Kirk Thornton playing Fake Igor in the anime. His voice sounds much more forced and much less natural than in P5/P5R.

While I'm on the subject, can we talk about how loving great the P4 anime is? It expanded on a lot of stuff in the game in a very compelling way (particularly the final battle and Yu's character) while still keeping true to the themes and tone of the game.

BIG P4 SPOILER: Nanako's death is just amazingly handled, so incredibly depressing and intense. Yu crying on Yosuke's shoulder was heartbreaking.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The P4 anime is really well done, yeah. I was rewatching it recently and it does a great job of adapting the story to a different medium. I really like the way it handles social link stories, too, the way it compresses them into episode-length arcs and also mashes them up so they interact in interesting ways.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Someone post the two Chies

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Who doesn't love watermelon?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Two Chies(tm)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Adrianics posted:

I am insistent it isn't Kirk Thornton playing Fake Igor in the anime. His voice sounds much more forced and much less natural than in P5/P5R.

While I'm on the subject, can we talk about how loving great the P4 anime is? It expanded on a lot of stuff in the game in a very compelling way (particularly the final battle and Yu's character) while still keeping true to the themes and tone of the game.

BIG P4 SPOILER: Nanako's death is just amazingly handled, so incredibly depressing and intense. Yu crying on Yosuke's shoulder was heartbreaking.

Kirk Thornton is only Real Igor. The Fake Igor is played by David Lodge. His voice does sound notably different in the P5 anime, but I'm pretty sure it's still him because he sounds just like his role in Dragon's Dogma.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Harrow posted:

The Two Chies(tm)

Liquid Chie, Solid Chie.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the P5R soundtrack actually for sale anywhere in non-vinyl form? I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Harrow posted:

The Two Chies(tm)

Wait what?

...WHA-

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You're all acting like you ain't never seen two Chies hanging out before

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Posting this here instead of Arist's Persona 5 Royal Lets Play, which is currently enjoying dril tweet posting. It just... looks like a spoiler:

girls love it when i cure their depression using my intelligenct brain

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
There are two Chies fighting in each man's heart.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They’re fighting over steak.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I didn't really realize until I played P4G but P5 feels like it was written by ticking checkboxes in a "opposite of P4" list.

I didn't find this a bad thing; I find Inaba a conservative and slightly homophobic small town and one in which the moral of every single one of the character arcs is "You should be who society wants you to be".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That’s certainly not the moral I read to those character arcs. I read it’s okay to be who you are and shutting others out from fear of their opinions only ends up hurting you. Sometimes it is a form of conformity (Yukiko, who has issues with the expectation she’ll manage the inn even if she loves the people there) and sometimes it is simply being proud of who you are enough to not hide it (Kanji, who’s hyper masculine brute/delinquent deal is to hide the fact he loves to knit and sew, or the mess with Naoto).

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Arist posted:

Kirk Thornton is only Real Igor. The Fake Igor is played by David Lodge. His voice does sound notably different in the P5 anime, but I'm pretty sure it's still him because he sounds just like his role in Dragon's Dogma.

Ah, my mistake on that so cheers for putting me right. It's an awesome performance across both mediums, don't get me wrong, just odd how different it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

neonchameleon posted:

I didn't find this a bad thing; I find Inaba a conservative and slightly homophobic small town and one in which the moral of every single one of the character arcs is "You should be who society wants you to be".

If P5 was ticking the opposite of that it should have let me date Ryuji (or Iwai, but if I feel skeevy about the Kawakami/Takemi options I shouldn't have double standards).