Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Residency Evil posted:

Same question. Will crawl control help my wife drive over parking blocks at the grocery store? :v:

True, maybe its covid but all of a sudden I really want to get into overlanding as a way to decompress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Koirhor posted:

True, maybe its covid but all of a sudden I really want to get into overlanding as a way to decompress

:same:

But my Bronco is still more than a year away.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Koirhor posted:

Ya I’m kinda weighing it against a Passport, my issue with the passport is Honda’s dumb as gently caress decision to market it as more off road capable but give it 20 in wheels so I would swap those out immediately

loving everything riding on conestoga wagon wheels these days

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Dammit I kind of want a 4Runner now, do you think it’s stupid not to get crawl control and kdss? Because otherwise I would just get a base SR5.

KDSS significantly improves on-road performance with no effect on off-road performance. The downsides to KDSS is that you're limited to about a 2" lift, and at least around me, KDSS 4Runners that don't cost as much as a GX460, which has KDSS standard, are near-impossible to find.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Zero One posted:

So is mine.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Zero One posted:

Only slightly related, I saw a bronco sport the other day and it looks really good in person. I'd still rather have the regular bronco personally, but I was really impressed with it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

As Nero Danced posted:

Only slightly related, I saw a bronco sport the other day and it looks really good in person. I'd still rather have the regular bronco personally, but I was really impressed with it.
Sport is a modern pre-2013 Escape. It's good certainly, but not really a (traditional) Bronco.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

KDSS significantly improves on-road performance with no effect on off-road performance. The downsides to KDSS is that you're limited to about a 2" lift, and at least around me, KDSS 4Runners that don't cost as much as a GX460, which has KDSS standard, are near-impossible to find.

Here’s the follow up to that article:

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/03/toyota-4runner-suspension-flex-test/

Given that you can still put a 1-2” lift, keep that kind of articulation, AND reduce on-road body roll, KDSS makes a lot of sense. Plus, going up to the off road gets you the locking rear diff.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

As Nero Danced posted:

ilkhan posted:

Sport is a modern pre-2013 Escape. It's good certainly, but not really a (traditional) Bronco.

I sat in, but did not drive, a Bronco Sport. I love my dad’s 2010 Escape and the Bronco does feel similar. It’s much nicer and bigger inside than I thought it would be. Give it a hybrid next update and a more modern infotainment system and it will be a nice competitor to a RAV4, I think.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I want to go test drive a couple cars this week and part of the dealer's covid protocol is a 15 minute time limit on the drive. What the hell is the point of that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

prom candy posted:

I want to go test drive a couple cars this week and part of the dealer's covid protocol is a 15 minute time limit on the drive. What the hell is the point of that?

Drive fast I guess.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

prom candy posted:

The salesperson isn't riding with you, right? What are they going to do, chew you out right as you're deciding if you're going to buy it?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
No they're not riding with me, if they were I wouldn't be going at all. If they think I'm gonna buy a car after one 15-minute test drive they're nuts. We'll see how serious they are when I actually get there. I need 15 minutes just to gently caress around with the infotainment.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What about Mach-E's? Any of those being delivered yet?

They supposedly went on sale already but I haven't seen any on lots or in the wild. I suppose the first year will have some teething issues I just hope they aren't too bad because we want one.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What about Mach-E's? Any of those being delivered yet?

They supposedly went on sale already but I haven't seen any on lots or in the wild. I suppose the first year will have some teething issues I just hope they aren't too bad because we want one.

Yea, people have started getting theirs. You can find customer impressions on some of the Mach-E forums and some dealers have them available for test drive. The dealer near me is supposed to get one on the 14th so hopefully I’ll get to test it sometime soon after.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I just saw a white Mach E at the supermarket in Canada, so definitely out in the wild now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

smooth jazz posted:

I just saw a white Mach E at the supermarket in Canada, so definitely out in the wild now.

The first impressions I've seen have been largely positive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Saw a bronco sport in traffic today. They’re gonna sell a ton of those stupid things.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've seen the Bronco Sport in traffic, but it immediately stood out to me as a Ford Escape successor. I wasn't super impressed by how it looks, but I'm looking forward to seeing the full Bronco.

Which means they'll sell a billion Sports.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PT6A posted:

The first impressions I've seen have been largely positive.

Yeah I watched Doug Demuro's review and he said it's better than a Tesla in almost every regard which is good news.

I'm just worried about first Model Year issues because Ford's track record with that isn't great.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I find myself tempted by a 2DR Bronco with the V6 but I don’t trust Ford reliability and don’t have any reason to get an off-road capable vehicle because the worst roads I’ve ever been on were just gravel roads to remote parking lots.

If Toyota came out with an FJ Cruiser that didn’t look dorky and tried to be as close to the old Landcruisers as possible then all bets are off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I watched Doug Demuro's review and he said it's better than a Tesla in almost every regard which is good news.

I'm just worried about first Model Year issues because Ford's track record with that isn't great.

Well, they can't gently caress up the headgasket this time...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This is absolutely a reason not to be a Mach E early adopter. The new Explorer has been a mess, and that was a much more conventional vehicle.

Once they shake the issues out, the Mach E can be a tesla with way better build quality.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

Well, they can't gently caress up the headgasket this time...

Yeah or the automatic transmission like with the Focus.

Will probably be mostly software issues I suppose but that's still a pain in the dick if they can't get it right

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ford may be especially spotty on first year runs, but it's just generally good practice to never buy the first year of any new model of any kind of complicated consumer product.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

I find myself tempted by a 2DR Bronco with the V6 but I don’t trust Ford reliability and don’t have any reason to get an off-road capable vehicle because the worst roads I’ve ever been on were just gravel roads to remote parking lots.

If Toyota came out with an FJ Cruiser that didn’t look dorky and tried to be as close to the old Landcruisers as possible then all bets are off.

Ahh but the Land Rover Defender 90, will be fun while its under warranty I suppose

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yeah I watched Doug Demuro's review

TBH I wouldnt take Demuro's word on even if the sky was blue. Granted the Mach-E otherwise has been getting some good words outside of him but nothing saying it's better than a Tesla mostly.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Even a Ford is better than a Tesla in almost every meaningful way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

TBH I wouldnt take Demuro's word on even if the sky was blue. Granted the Mach-E otherwise has been getting some good words outside of him but nothing saying it's better than a Tesla mostly.

I heard an English Youtuber whose name I can't remember say a similar thing. Tesla are in a very similar position to Apple a few years back: they broke a lot of new ground and became wildly popular as a result, but they also made significant mistakes that turned off a lot of people, and once other manufacturers catch up with regards to the new ground they broke, they're not in a particularly enviable position. Not dead by any means, but not as seemingly out of reach as they once were.

And, with regards to Fords 1st-year issues, I have to imagine they spent more time than average making sure they got this one just right in a way that would make me trust it more than a first-year Bronco or something.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Wheeee posted:

Even a Ford is better than a Tesla in almost every meaningful way.
I think the Tesla charging network is still leagues ahead of electrify America or whatever the other charging vendors are and I would call that pretty meaningful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

I heard an English Youtuber whose name I can't remember say a similar thing. Tesla are in a very similar position to Apple a few years back: they broke a lot of new ground and became wildly popular as a result, but they also made significant mistakes that turned off a lot of people, and once other manufacturers catch up with regards to the new ground they broke, they're not in a particularly enviable position. Not dead by any means, but not as seemingly out of reach as they once were.

This is a decent analogy. Tesla does have one major thing going for them: They don’t have the GM or Ford dealer structure between them and their customers. Owning a Tesla has been a shockingly pleasant experience compared to owning a new GM product.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rusty posted:

I think the Tesla charging network is still leagues ahead of electrify America or whatever the other charging vendors are and I would call that pretty meaningful.

That was where he said Telsa has the advantage but that's it. Build quality of the Ford overall is better

Plus Ford has actual real service centers everywhere that you can just drive your car to imagine that!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I've seen the Bronco Sport in traffic, but it immediately stood out to me as a Ford Escape successor. I wasn't super impressed by how it looks, but I'm looking forward to seeing the full Bronco.

Which means they'll sell a billion Sports.

Like all crossovers, if they pay the bills so automakers still make cool things then sell away.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

That was where he said Telsa has the advantage but that's it. Build quality of the Ford overall is better

Plus Ford has actual real service centers everywhere that you can just drive your car to imagine that!
I agree but it's a pretty big deal. I'm not interested in Tesla at all, just bewildered that no one has been able to come close to their network. It's the one reason why none of these EVs interest me I guess. Also the ford Mach-E is just about the most boring looking car, if it were not for the Model Y which is somehow worse.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

To be fair tho, the network doesn't really matter much if you're mostly charging at home and not traveling outside of it's range much.

For us, if we got a Mach-e that would be a non factor.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Same, I'm considering the GT when it comes out and am really ignoring all the complaints about EA. If want to go more than a 120 miles in a day I'm likely to just drive our ICE vehicle than worry about a 30 minute to hour stop at this point. Charging infrastructure for me is only going to matter when we're at the point of going all electric which is at least 3, likely more, years away.

I do enjoy the schadenfreude of VW somehow utilizing the charging network they built worse than their competitors though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I understand nothing about the subject but I just want to wade in and say the idea of proprietary charging networks loving sucks. Imagine if you had to find the right gas station for your brand of car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

prom candy posted:

I understand nothing about the subject but I just want to wade in and say the idea of proprietary charging networks loving sucks. Imagine if you had to find the right gas station for your brand of car.

Only in America, Teslas in Europe somehow use the same standards over there as all the other electric cars, weird

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

prom candy posted:

If you fill it up with inferior electrons, it will void your warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I wonder if Tesla would make more money licensing their superior charging network to other manufacturers? Or is it better to keep it for themselves?