Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I would not characterise the thread as welcoming in the least right now.

E: 35 is an age that, when you reach it, you might start to worry about being halfway through your life. But really, the first 18 or so years barely count so when you think about it you're not even a quarter through! Congratulations :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Dick Arbiter is a hell of a name / job title

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rumda posted:

yes but i am the arbiter of what words to use to refer to me and you can't just say well its gender neutral to me saying not to call me that

And I won't use it to refer to you!

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I love this. So eager to get money/face on TV that he didn't even spend a microsecond researching the company. "Do you have a website, or, a wikipedia entry?" Nope, just instantly into let me tell you what to think.

The rest about "taken out of context" is so clearly bullshit, but I'm still enjoying the utter lack of thought about this.

Unless being asked to comment on things you haven't seen happens all the time? And, hence didn't seem like a bonkers request?
lol, it's literally how one of the others tries to justify it

“This sort of pre-record, filing material in advance, is frequently done for various news stories, obituaries etc so journalists have instant comment in the event of breaking news. There is nothing whatever dishonourable in it,” he added.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if this thread were to stop having unproductive arguments and escalating every conflict it would lose its status as a vital object of academic study in the debilitating psychological effects of Britain on the mind. do you hate science

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*slams ice cold milk glass on the table* this thread is to be more welcoming or so help me god I will start posting the shittiest I've ever posted and you will all regret this

and the mods will do nothing because I have trained Seamus Milne to do my bidding

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How dare you.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Tesseraction posted:

*slams ice cold milk glass on the table* this thread is to be more welcoming or so help me god I will start posting the shittiest I've ever posted and you will all regret this

and the mods will do nothing because I have trained Seamus Milne to do my bidding

very keir starmer of you to promise no fundamental change.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ThomasPaine posted:

And I won't use it to refer to you!

this is what you needed to post hours ago rather than going all "its gender neutral"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

It could also be a total car crash though :downs:

yeah that's what the mail said :v:

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, holy poo poo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Angepain posted:

if this thread were to stop having unproductive arguments and escalating every conflict it would lose its status as a vital object of academic study in the debilitating psychological effects of Britain on the mind. do you hate science

In Britain you either die a UKMTer or live long enough to become a TERF

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

twisto is a top-tier ukmter IMO

I mean I'm pretty garbage myself by many peoples reckoning I'm sure so what do I know

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sir Keir Starmer

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sir keef.

How was your day sir keef?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is increasingly difficult to have a fun environment when there simply isn't anything to be happy about. There is no worthwhile political advocacy, there is no improvement, there is only everything getting worse all of the time.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
listen to some zztop/meatloaf/aerosmith/whitesnake/alice cooper imo

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

OwlFancier posted:

It is increasingly difficult to have a fun environment when there simply isn't anything to be happy about. There is no worthwhile political advocacy, there is no improvement, there is only everything getting worse all of the time.

people simply need to become jokerfied.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I like twisto's effortposts and asides about far-flung topics, but I think taking a time-out from the UKMT is a good idea.
As a source of news it's going to make you miserable because the UK is full of miserable news.
As a social hangout, it's full of miserable people because of the miserable news.
I liked when DesperateDan (I think) was raising all our moods with photos from their walks in the countryside and their plot of land. We're gonna be waiting until summer before we can take photos of things other than brown grass and grey skies, though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Don't worry, I have just the thing to cheer you up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QhAZckY8w

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rumda posted:

and if he confirms this then I will apologise for being overly defensive but given I was attacked in this very thread for quoting a post too soon just yesterday then you'll forgive me for thinking that when a cis guy starts moaning about people complaining about gendered terms they are complaining about what started the conversation not a joke made apart way into it.

I'm happy to confirm that and apologise that I didn't make it clearer that I wasn't having a go at you - I was trying to avoid making it about individual posters, pro or con, just the lovely trajectory.

e: Okay what the gently caress, somebody really needs to take a look at their loving life. gently caress this place.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The mood in this thread absolutely plummeted after 2019 and the final hope-crushing. It's just been getting steadily worse since then - no one has much to be happy about right now and probably won't for a while.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Okay what the gently caress, somebody really needs to take a look at their loving life. gently caress this place.

Look I only posted it ironically, you didn't have to watch the whole thing

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm strongly looking forward to lockdown ending and doing things again.

E: can whoever's doing this buy me a horrible new av please? I've had this for ten years now

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

stev posted:

The mood in this thread absolutely plummeted after 2019 and the final hope-crushing. It's just been getting steadily worse since then - no one has much to be happy about right now and probably won't for a while.

Pretty much. I've mainly moved to the discord because its a better place to just chat because there is precious little I can do atm.

Also whoever bought twisto the lovely av? I try not to get cross but please just gently caress off.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

i wouldn't be shocked if the person who bought rumda's new av and twistos were the same person, just trying to stir poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

This hits the nail on the head. There's not a lot of hope floating about between the pandemic and lockdown and the economy worsening and the Tories looking comfortable and the opposition being non existent and so on.

We probably all could be more charitable in our reading each other's posts, especially me. I can only say I'll try but sometimes you just want to scream into the void

What happened to at least being funny if you buy avs for people? This is just a boring twat.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked the old phantom avatar changer better tbh.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i wouldn't be shocked if the person who bought rumda's new av and twistos were the same person, just trying to stir poo poo.

We didn't give ourselves the reputation of being the most easily-trolled thread in the forums for nothing, tbh.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I've had avatars disabled for months and don't miss them tbh

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hello! Would anyone like my views on Israel?

This thread is pretty tough but on balance it is fair. People hold strong opinions and express them robustly (perhaps a tad much) but for the most part they are thoughtful and well-informed, and post with good intent. I’ve learned quite a lot from reading it. It can get very hostile though.

Plus there is fudge. Let’s not forget the delicious fudge.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ItohRespectArmy posted:

this is a much better hypothesis to contemplate than the idea that someone, somewhere, actually believes that angry redtext avatar buying makes them look reasonable

like if you're going to spend $10 on changing someone's internet face you could at least try to make an actual joke or something

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; I remember the heady days of someone going around giving half the thread incredible avatars relating their supposed experiences with random Brit celebs and so on. Much better.

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I would not characterise the thread as welcoming in the least right now.

E: 35 is an age that, when you reach it, you might start to worry about being halfway through your life. But really, the first 18 or so years barely count so when you think about it you're not even a quarter through! Congratulations :)

Fucken hell I thought I was halfway done with this shite you're telling me I'm only a quarter??

OwlFancier posted:

This is why you Jokerfy in a video game way

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

e; I remember the heady days of someone going around giving half the thread incredible avatars relating their supposed experiences with random Brit celebs and so on. Much better.

Fucken hell I thought I was halfway done with this shite you're telling me I'm only a quarter??

This is why you Jokerfy in a video game way

That's right!!! Buckle up cos the 21st century is showing NO SIGNS OF SLOWING DOWN

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Getting worked up about lovely avatars is like being trolled by a guy with a Duke Nukem soundboard. It's gonna be some dude with the mentality of a Pissflaps or one of those weirdos on the SA exiles forum, and you're giving them their money's worth.

Forum is not life, life isn't even life

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

Personally most of my online time is spent in various trans and queer heavy communities on Discord, it leads to good times playing RPGs and flirting with amazing girls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rumda posted:

Personally most of my online time is spent in various trans and queer heavy communities on Discord, it leads to good times playing RPGs and flirting with amazing girls.

And I spend as much of my time as I can playing videogames, usually building towns, houses, space stations etc that I will never see in real life.

But that is why I am generally more upbeat when posting in games, there is very little relevant to UKMT that I could post that will make anybody happy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
life

is

life

oooowoooooah wooooow woooooooooooooooooh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

people simply need to become jokerfied.

Yeah I dunno about jokerfied but enough of my brain has been cauterised that British politics is amusing again.
I can't be bothered to follow it too closely though since the whole media conversation is basically fake

Keir is becoming a good character though imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

life

is

life

oooowoooooah wooooow woooooooooooooooooh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckoYQqdk28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8N5FoayHAg