Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Same as it ever was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

I didn’t watch it, was McGuirk given free reign? I saw a clip on Twitter of Miriam issuing a correction to something that was said.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
He claimed Éirígí were behind the shooting of Lyra McKee so they had to issue a correction to that this morning, because no one corrected or challenged him at the time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gotta love him claiming to give a poo poo about her when it was pure whataboutism. Shitlord was just trying to deflect from the founder of the organisation bankrolling Gript being at 100% of the "protests" that turned violent. And having a conviction for assault at one in the 90's too...

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Sounds like RTE made another excellent decision giving him a national platform.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Well at least they had noted leftist, FG TD Neale Richmond, for balance.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

cormac fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 6, 2021

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Finally, something to unite the country! :polls:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Apologies for the Double Post, was just curious about something. So my dad is heading back in for chemo tomorrow morning (for a small growth, not life threatening), and my parents were wondering if any decision had been made on cancer patients getting jumped up the queue for Covid 19 vaccines. I remember there being talk about severe cancer cases being brought up, I was checking to see if something had been announced.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PowerBeard posted:

Apologies for the Double Post, was just curious about something. So my dad is heading back in for chemo tomorrow morning (for a small growth, not life threatening), and my parents were wondering if any decision had been made on cancer patients getting jumped up the queue for Covid 19 vaccines. I remember there being talk about severe cancer cases being brought up, I was checking to see if something had been announced.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope the chemo goes well.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout-covid-19-vaccines-ireland.html

This has the rough rollout, and your Dad seems to be high on the list for next group, in the 'People aged 16 to 69 who are at very high risk' section.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope the chemo goes well.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout-covid-19-vaccines-ireland.html

This has the rough rollout, and your Dad seems to be high on the list for next group, in the 'People aged 16 to 69 who are at very high risk' section.

Seems to not apply to the over 70s though. My mum is 74, has one kidney which has 20% function, and COPD. Still, she's lumped in with all the other over-70s and has to just wait and see. Pfft

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, he's 71, so that would put him out.

He is handling the chemo quite well, all things considered. The tumor was quite small to begin with and they saw a reduction from earlier treatment. But then when we entered Level 5, the hospital recommended that he take a break from the treatment to see if it stops growing. Months later, it showed some slight growth, but they felt it was wise to jump back on the chemo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Honestly I would ring the oncology dept and talk to whoever's answering the phones at least. I wouldn't extrapolate from my mum's experience to everyone, because this is ireland and everything is made up

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
That's what they were planning at least on their trip over this morning for another round of treatment.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So thankfully the doctors dealing with my Dad recommended he get the vaccine, so they are calling him later this week about it, which fills me with hope!

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Great news, hopefully he’s able to get it quickly.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Great news

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/1373260624663359494

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ugh it took me too long to realise why Easter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arlene Foster's gonna buy them all up and then cut the top off like a boiled egg.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Cool, fun eggs from a monster. It's like if George W Bush started selling gingerbread people in the shape of Gitmo prisoners.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hrmmm don't think that's right

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I keep forgetting when Gerry brought Ireland and the world with it into an illegal war based on lies in the Middle East.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
billy mays in a balaclava

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

PowerBeard posted:

Cool, fun eggs from a monster. It's like if George W Bush started selling gingerbread people in the shape of Gitmo prisoners.

Jesus.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

George bush fought a guerrilla war to free the christians of the United States from teetotal supremacist state the Iraqi muslims had imposed there. Inshallah

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Remember when GW started painting weird sad canvasses and people just decided it was OK he warcrimed and lied to the UN and poo pooed privacy rights because there's a sad man in the bath in this watercolour

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

In fairness my first thought was I need to start posting about how Gerry and Martin are back planting packages around Belfast, watch out everyone! In various family chats. I don't think o I've quite gotten to the level of ironically equating Sin Fein and the modern American republican party as terrorist organisations though.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I can admit that I came in a little lot heated when comparing him to GWB, I just feel that maybe he shouldn't be online trying to talk about Unity eggs when he was directly and indirectly involved with stuff that made Northern Ireland hell for people.

But yeah, apologies for dragging down the thread with my bullshit.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I know he murdered people and stuff but if you don't get why he talks about unity you kinda missing out on some key facts about NI.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shoehead posted:

Remember when GW started painting weird sad canvasses and people just decided it was OK he warcrimed and lied to the UN and poo pooed privacy rights because there's a sad man in the bath in this watercolour
Terrible composition too. Worse than Hitler's.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

PowerBeard posted:

I can admit that I came in a little lot heated when comparing him to GWB, I just feel that maybe he shouldn't be online trying to talk about Unity eggs when he was directly and indirectly involved with stuff that made Northern Ireland hell for people.

But yeah, apologies for dragging down the thread with my bullshit.

i'm in NI

i linked it without comment

i would not have bothered if i'd known the thread has someone like you in :/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Guavanaut posted:

Terrible composition too. Worse than Hitler's.
:golfclap:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
wit der memes and der tweets and der tweets and der eggs, in your head, in your head they are dyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiing :zombie:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So I was readin a story about us finally opting for mandatory quarantine for international travel, and then I see it's only for travellers from countries deemed High Risk (30 atm). So uh let's compare that to today's case numbers.

1. France (109,866 new cases [holy poo poo]) - Not High Risk
2. Brazil (100,158) - High Risk (no poo poo)
3. USA (69,586) - Not High Risk
4. India (59,118) - Nope
5. Poland (34,150) - Nuh uh
6. Turkey (28,731) - nah
7. Italy (23,681) - the place we can trace the virus back to from here pretty reliably? You better believe it's not on the list
8. Germany (21,620) - Nein
9. Peru (19,206) - High Risk
10. Ukraine (16,762) - nah

That's case numbers, I know its a fluid situation so uh lets look at the overall league table, quickly. Of the top ten countries for cases overall there is one single loving country we've deemed high risk. The entire list is just African, South American and Middle Eastern countries with one exception, Austria (things are defo worse there than here currently, but they aren't even top 10 in Europe).

As far as I can tell the only reason you'd need to quarantine traveling from... oh lets say The US who are world leaders in total cases and deaths is if you weren't tested before flying. I don't GET IT

E: Sorry I should clarify I don't understand the purpose of this. No negative test result imo should get you sent home but I guess I'll settle for you getting sent to a hotel I GUESS. I just dunno why our goverment has taken the time to shuffle papers around to name 29, perhaps pointedly, non-European, non-Western(?) countries and say "Hey, if you got a test here, we think it's bullshit SORRY"

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 26, 2021

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Ah sure you wouldn’t be wanting to make the big boys look any worse. I suppose there is an extremely small possibility that the government might not actually have a clue.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shoehead posted:

As far as I can tell the only reason you'd need to quarantine traveling from... oh lets say The US who are world leaders in total cases and deaths is if you weren't tested before flying. I don't GET IT

You're required to get tested before boarding a plane to Ireland no matter what. They won't let you on the plane without a negative test result, and if you did somehow make it all the way to Ireland without having been tested you'd be subject to a hefty fine and expulsion. So in practice there's no scenario where a traveler from the US has to quarantine.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

You're required to get tested before boarding a plane to Ireland no matter what. They won't let you on the plane without a negative test result, and if you did somehow make it all the way to Ireland without having been tested you'd be subject to a hefty fine and expulsion. So in practice there's no scenario where a traveler from the US has to quarantine.

That makes more sense. I was getting my info from citizens information which.. Is never the best but finding info on getting into the country was a lot harder than finding info on getting OUT

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The mandatory quarantine list is entirely due to the government giving into tabloid pressure. We're importing a completely negligible amount of cases, about 20-25 a week:

(and bear in mind this includes travel from Northern Ireland)

Anyone arriving in the country by air already has to have a negative covid test from less than 72 hours before arrival in Dublin, so the odds of people bringing anything in are exceptionally low.

Its not based on science, otherwise we either wouldn't be doing it (the WHO's advice is theres no point in travel bans once the disease is wide-spread in your own country) or at the very least the list would be updated every 2 weeks to the countries with the current highest per capita rates. Which its obviously not.

As well as that apart from Austria and the UAE none of the other countries on the list had direct flights to Ireland, either. So anyone traveling from them will be connecting in Heathrow, Frankfurt etc anyway - and can just lie to immigration in Dublin and say that was their point of origin, and avoid the mandatory hotel stay that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Blut posted:

As well as that apart from Austria and the UAE none of the other countries on the list had direct flights to Ireland, either. So anyone traveling from them will be connecting in Heathrow, Frankfurt etc anyway - and can just lie to immigration in Dublin and say that was their point of origin, and avoid the mandatory hotel stay that way.

even if passports weren't a thing, it would be tricky to explain why your covid test was conducted in a different country than the one you claim as your point of origin