Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks. :)

Josef bugman posted:

I liked to see him acting a bit, like the Robert Graves version of Claudius. He's still alive at the end of it all because "hahaha I have to pretend I am dumb as soup or I am getting loving murdered".

Also do you have any more cool stories of Three Kingdoms folks? I love hearing these sorts of summaries.
From the blog that got linked above.

quote:

Zhang Liao led a charge against Sun Quan’s forces the next day. Though Sun Quan’s forces outnumbered him 125/1, absolutely nothing could stop him. That day, Zhang Liao personally killed several dozen men, including two of Sun Quan’s generals. Hao Zhao personally killed Chen Wu, the commander of Sun Quan’s bodyguards. There was no one who could stand in Zhang Liao’s way. As his tiny force slaughtered everyone in reach, many Wu soldiers and veteran generals broke and ran. Even generals like Song Qian and Xu Sheng fled, terrified by Zhang Liao’s superhuman might. Liao cut his way through Sun Quan’s army, driving through the vanguard ind into the very center, right to Sun Quan’s camp. Sun Quan himself fled to a nearby hill and surrounded himself with all of the guards he could possibly find.

At the base of the hill, Zhang Liao called for Sun Quan to come down and fight him, but of course Quan wouldn’t dare. At this point, Liao was completely surrounded by the entire army. It should have been the end of him and his men, but Zhang Liao wasn’t ready to die just yet. He struck back at the encircling forces, fighting his way through rank after rank of Sun Quan’s army until he somehow emerged from the other side and could retreat. But not everyone had been able to follow him. About half of his soldiers were still trapped by the Wu forces.

So Zhang Liao turned around and went back for more. Once again he cut his way through Sun Quan’s army and reached his soldiers who were trapped in the center. Then he turned and struck once more, opening up a path through which his soldiers could retreat. The exact numbers aren’t recorded, but of the 800 men who followed Zhang Liao into that hell, most of them actually managed to make it out alive and return to the fortress. This battle lasted from dawn until noon. In 6 hours, Zhang Liao had carved his way through Sun Quan’s army time and again, destroying anyone who dared to come within reach of his spear.

After this, Sun Quan pulled back to gather the soldiers who had fled and reorganize his forces.
800 against 100,000 and Zhang Liao demolished Sun Quan’s army. Though Sun Quan’s forces outnumbered Zhang Liao’s 125 to 1, it was Sun Quan who retreated.

It goes on even further but basically Zhang Liao kicks major rear end and is the top badass in Wei, no contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://the-archlich.tumblr.com/3k_spotlight

Is worth checking out as well, especially the Shu section. Why they always get lovely ads is beyond me. Give me Liao Hua, Zhang Ni and Wang Ping, drat it! :argh:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Has anyone made a mod that gives some of the people being born a legendary lord trait so that the new generation also is fun to play?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Flipswitch posted:

It goes on even further but basically Zhang Liao kicks major rear end and is the top badass in Wei, no contest.
Yeah, Zhang Liao was completely ridiculous, even historically. Sun Quan, on the other hand, was a massive drunken rear end in a top hat.

One of the problems with history in general is that it's very biased in favor of winners, because mostly the winners are writing the history, or the person writing the history is looking to ingratiate themselves with the winners. And of course the winners succeeded because they were fundamentally superior to the also-rans(morally and otherwise), and not just because they were luckier and certainly not because they were more ruthless/evil!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Party In My Diapee posted:

Has anyone made a mod that gives some of the people being born a legendary lord trait so that the new generation also is fun to play?
I haven't. But you can use the sandbox mod to give them some?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vichan posted:

https://the-archlich.tumblr.com/3k_spotlight

Is worth checking out as well, especially the Shu section. Why they always get lovely ads is beyond me. Give me Liao Hua, Zhang Ni and Wang Ping, drat it! :argh:

Eh, I see what people were saying with "this dude sounds arrogant". I do like the info though! Thanks folks!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Flipswitch posted:

a couple years ago i was reading Imperial Warlord – A Biography of Cao Cao and even though he didnt really spend much time talking about individuals that weren't cao cao and like xun yu/guo jia, he had a little writeup on zhang liao where he talked about how even though he has some reputation of being a complete bad rear end (which he does) he singled him out among wei's generals as uniquely diplomatically and intellectually capable as well. was honestly the real deal and its kind of a shame he sometimes gets overlooked.

i wish i could buy the loving book for cheaper than $300, i ultimately had to transfer across the city with the library system so i could read it over two weeks and because it was such an annoying book to get they wouldnt even let me extend that lol. extremely good read though for anyone here who can get their hands on it, has an academic lean but isnt dry enough to be annoying

edit: that writeup on him on that website is a bit uh, enthusiastic

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 6, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

One of the problems with history in general is that it's very biased in favor of winners, because mostly the winners are writing the history, or the person writing the history is looking to ingratiate themselves with the winners. And of course the winners succeeded because they were fundamentally superior to the also-rans(morally and otherwise), and not just because they were luckier and certainly not because they were more ruthless/evil!

this isn't true, and definitely not for the rot3k era

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Davincie posted:

this isn't true, and definitely not for the rot3k era

Yeah, though it's interesting how cultural context changes it. Like I can't read CaoCao as anything but the hero, while the text does it's best to paint him as the villain.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
History it turns out is written by whoever wrote the history and by historical accident writing about the three kingdoms has been dominated by a long line of people with various reasons to be extremely pro-shu, not Pro-Winner.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yeah, Zhang Liao was completely ridiculous, even historically. Sun Quan, on the other hand, was a massive drunken rear end in a top hat.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is insanely biased towards one of the period's objective losers. Shu lost by a very large margin, but later writers empathized more with Shu culturally and contextually so they were written as the good guys.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Immediate history is written by the victor but as time goes on it does change to benefit whoever is in charge

There is actually a good podcast history of England that goes through how each king was perceived as time moved forward and why it changed to fit the opinions of the time as an example

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The author of the contemporary work 'Records of the three kingdoms' was a shu officer who was demoted and sent to Jin where he eventually got employed. Even for a relatively (compared to rotk) straightforward account of the era you still had some personal biases.

quote:

Chen Shou's father was a military adviser to the Shu general Ma Su. When Ma Su was executed by Zhuge Liang after his failure at the Battle of Jieting in 228, Chen Shou's father was implicated and sentenced to kun (髡), a punishment involving the shaving of a person's head. Zhuge Zhan belittled Chen Shou before. When Chen Shou wrote the biographies of Zhuge Liang and Zhuge Zhan in the Sanguozhi, he commented on them as follows: Military leadership was not Zhuge Liang's forte, and he lacked the resourcefulness of a brilliant military leader; Zhuge Zhan excelled only in literary arts, and he had an exaggerated reputation.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Mongols: famously popular, all-time winners that wrote so much history.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they did, they even had a super secret history that was set up just to play up the successors

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I remember reading that Gongsun was quite a common name and a lot of the Gongsuns weren't actually related, is that true for the Ma as well?

And yeah that one blog post is enthusiastic but it's nice to sometimes read someone's passion for a subject. The second group list is also really good.

P glad my boy Zhang He is being added, Sentinels are great but I find their retinue a bit awkward sometimes, games encouraging me to keep the Wei Elite Generals in different armies which makes sense I suppose.

E: Worth mentioning because I find the various ethnic tribe groups really interesting, but TUP also adds a bunch of Xianbei, Wuhuan and Xiongnu characters (I assume Qiang as well) with their own unique skill trees. Hope they're added in the eventual Northern Chapter Pack.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

The author of the contemporary work 'Records of the three kingdoms' was a shu officer who was demoted and sent to Jin where he eventually got employed. Even for a relatively (compared to rotk) straightforward account of the era you still had some personal biases.

He's not wrong about kongming

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I did like how even in the novels they couldn't rewrite the siege of chencang in a way that made zhuge liang look good. 40-50k men tried to storm a fortress held by 1,000 and the commander of the fortress, Hao Zhao, ate kongming's lunch for weeks on end.

Hao Zhao was a pretty cool dude. He had one of my favorite cold lines in history, where a personal friend of his from Shu tried to get him to surrender before the battle. The first time he just more or less tersely but politely told him off and stated that he intended to die defending the fort, the second time he threatened him by going "What I said earlier remains solid. I know you, but my arrow doesn't".

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

My take on Liu Bei is that while he is portrayed as the most virtuous leader in history he is really the greatest conman in history.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Most people's perception of the Eastern Front in WW2 is extremely skewed because we used to rely heavily on German accounts.

History is written by writers.

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

My take on Liu Bei is that while he is portrayed as the most virtuous leader in history he is really the greatest conman in history.

Even in Romance I've always thought of him as this.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He's definitely a big eared thief.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

A good and trusted friend of mine told me that Liu Bei is one of history's greatest scoundrels, and based on what I have learned about him by playing 3K then reading up on events and stuff has me agreeing 100%.

Another good and trusted friend of mine started calling Liu Bei "Liu Cockroach" because its almost impossible to actually kill his faction off in 3K and thats how I now refer to him in my head.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Azran posted:

The Mongols: famously popular, all-time winners that wrote so much history.

The Mongols became an official imperial dynasty and did a lot of writing

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The winners write history, but not just the present day winners, also the future winners. Some winners write less history than others, some value different things to others and those values change over time to the reader. The use of German accounts of the Eastern Front is because some winners (the West) wanted to create propaganda against the Soviets. The Mongols aren’t an area I know much about, but writers before and after their imperial ascent were probably very much opposed to them.

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms favours Shu because of the Southern Song claiming lineage from Shu because they lost the North. That then took on a life of its own, and became kinda entrenched in the culture to a certain degree, and nobody really chose to die on that hill that I know

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Another good and trusted friend of mine started calling Liu Bei "Liu Cockroach" because its almost impossible to actually kill his faction off in 3K and thats how I now refer to him in my head.

liu bei being reduced to a single territory and the doomstack of liu bei, guan yu, and zhang fei showing up to vaporize another army anyway is peak shu

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Communist Thoughts posted:

The Mongols became an official imperial dynasty and did a lot of writing

I completely forgot about the Yuan Dynasty. :derp: Consider me thoroughly dunked.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dammit why can't the new update be here already? I have such an itch to play, but I can't bring myself to start a game that'll be useless in just a couple days.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The use of German accounts of the Eastern Front is because some winners (the West) wanted to create propaganda against the Soviets.

Well, that and the fact that the Soviet archives weren't really all that available to western historians. German accounts is what they had to deal with.

Things like the Rommel/Clean Wehrmacht myth were pushed for propaganda purposes though.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I did like how even in the novels they couldn't rewrite the siege of chencang in a way that made zhuge liang look good. 40-50k men tried to storm a fortress held by 1,000 and the commander of the fortress, Hao Zhao, ate kongming's lunch for weeks on end.
Speaking of this and 'the big-eared thief', I was struck by how much (in the Brewitt-Taylor translation) of the history surrounding Liu Bei's takeover of Yi Province from Liu Zhang was allowed to remain intact in the novel...

On a different note:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

From Serious Trivia's Ma Teng preview video - holy lol at his starting techs:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Oh cool so different factions/leaders will start with techs now? Or is that just a thing for the DLC start dates?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

From Serious Trivia's Ma Teng preview video - holy lol at his starting techs:

Eh it's fine. Ma Teng is in the fun situation that he just needs to grab the Silk techs to stabilise his economy, and later Red techs are honestly amazing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lurksion posted:

Oh cool so different factions/leaders will start with techs now? Or is that just a thing for the DLC start dates?
I only started playing after the Nanman DLC dropped and even in the base game start (190 I think is the base game date? I'm really tired and cant remember) different factions start with a singular different tech.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Eh it's fine. Ma Teng is in the fun situation that he just needs to grab the Silk techs to stabilise his economy, and later Red techs are honestly amazing.
Oh I'm not saying its a bad thing - it makes me want to play as him even more. Starting that close to the campaign movement range and replenishment techs will be awesome.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Later start dates get more tech yeah.

Tengs kids all seem to have sibling rivalry issues which will be fun to navigate. Ma Dai and Pang De really need some art though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Double post but watching the ST video. The new Sun Ce campaign looks kinda crappy. Low luck and you only will gain +2 net so you spend ages building up his bonuses.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Double post but watching the ST video. The new Sun Ce campaign looks kinda crappy. Low luck and you only will gain +2 net so you spend ages building up his bonuses.

Yeah because he should be dead

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What happens if he dies in his campaign? is it game-over or do you just lose access to his mechanic?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doing a liu biao playthrough now, it's incredible how much it snowballs. Planning out your vassals and making sure they're handpicked idiots who will be forever loyal is fun. I'm nearing the end, and I got into a fight with liu bei who got a very early kingship. Even to the end he was still very much friends with me at like 300+ disposition. Until we met on the battlefield and i somehow captured liu bei, guan yu, and Zhang fei all in the same battle. It hurt to triple click execute, but I would rather not fight any of them again. Plus, cool weapons!

Flipswitch posted:

What happens if he dies in his campaign? is it game-over or do you just lose access to his mechanic?

You keep the same mechanics regardless of leader death

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've recently starte Big Eared Thief rear end in a top hat playthrough, and I was wondering how much will the new patch affect ongoing campaign: will I get the new sweet title progression options? I'm doing almost as good as it's possible to start his campaign, and wouldn't want to restart now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

alex314 posted:

I've recently starte Big Eared Thief rear end in a top hat playthrough, and I was wondering how much will the new patch affect ongoing campaign: will I get the new sweet title progression options? I'm doing almost as good as it's possible to start his campaign, and wouldn't want to restart now.
I cant think of any game in recent memory where saves survive a major patch.