Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
What a perfect name for a cutie patootie like him :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Not that it matters, but He might be a She. :3:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Captain Log posted:

Not that it matters, but He might be a She. :3:

I know, but I started calling the bird "he" and just decided to keep at it. I call him nonbirdnary because "he" and "she" apply equally :3:

e: or a he/him hen!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

My happy place apparently includes budgie burbling, because all these booges are making my otherwise blah day awesome.

Unrelated: https://v.redd.it/3na0u4h3v6l61

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...0aa9g61-480.mp4

found this on reddit
i love her

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I knew what was going to happen the moment the video started but it was still hilarious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

the cause of the tp shortage

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hug in a Can posted:

Oh, what a relief! He’s been hanging out on my shoulder and doing that for over 15 minutes at a stretch.
He seems happy (he leaves of his own accord when he’s ready), I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a symptom of something. :)
Thanks! I love Scamp!!

Can you share the recipe for that blueberry scone?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Hug in a Can posted:

I know, but I started calling the bird "he" and just decided to keep at it. I call him nonbirdnary because "he" and "she" apply equally :3:

e: or a he/him hen!

That edit made me laugh. :derptiel:

Only mentioning it for the sake of being aware about nesting behavior.

Speaking of that, Serra has started managing to climb UNDER her egg crates. loving bird.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has molted off most of her crest. Moulted? Molt? gently caress me, I have no idea.

Right now she is in the phase of the molt where she begs for scritches, gets scritched, immediately gets angry at scritches, does a hiss, repeats for ten minutes.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
I’ve been posting a bit on discord about my screaming tiel woes. We ended up moving Pippu’s cage to a different room, so that we can close the door and get some peace when he goes off. When he gets to fly/plod around in the living room it’s with his cage in the other room, and it helped a bit with territoriality. He’s improved somewhat.

However!! Last night another probably male tiel finally appeared for sale on a semi-local listing! We intended for pippu to get a buddy a long time back, but corona made it impossible to buy another one. All breeders are a long way away from us (7 or more hours drive), and travel has been discouraged. So we bought him immediately. He’s a ten month old little guy (physically bigger than pippu) with odd human eyes. Really hoping they will get along and that it might alleviate possible boredom in Pippu. He seems so timid and kind, completely different mood from hyper pippu.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
More tiels is usually the correct solution.

Birds can be remarkably similar to cats with their shared love for knocking objects off surfaces. Mayo takes pride in keeping the bathroom counter free of any offending materials. I was dumb enough to leave my electric razor out and she totally sent it plummeting; it took an orchid out on its way down too. B)

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 6, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

alex likes to pick up an empty aluminum seltzer or beer can if he’s sitting at the table on my arm and repeatedly drop it just to listen to it clank

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I like when they stare at the thing they knocked over like “Wow! Gravity :derptiel:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It seems almost a universal thing with parrot-type birds - if an opportunity to throw something occurs, it must not be missed.

We used to have an old glass jelly mould which for some unknown reason, was full of old coins. Our cockatiel Looloo would happily spend the best part of an afternoon standing on the rim and throwing every single coin down on to the floor. There was probably upwards of a hundred of them. She never rushed, she'd carefully select each coin, throw in out and tilt her head to see how well it hit the floor.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For those that remember the video of me scritching the heck out of Chickadoodle under my chin, every day she just gets more and more comfortable with it. She'll go upside down whilst clinging to my thumb if I curl my fingers into a tunnel, and I can put her upside down on her back and she's sorta alright with it. We had a pretty cool moment today where she was upside down and I used my nose to rub her cheek area and she just fully stretched out her neck and had that spa treatment look on her face. Wasabi joined in and started preening her at the same time. Talk about spoilt.

Weird how she's completely comfortable with me using my nose to cuddle her but if I try with my fingers, she'll hedge away or think it's step up command. It's super rare to actually be able to scratch her cheeks with my finger, she'll either try to regurgitate food onto them or try to step up onto them.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Hug in a Can posted:

I like when they stare at the thing they knocked over like “Wow! Gravity :derptiel:

Birds are excellent like this. The fact that things that aren't them have to obey gravity at all times is constantly a wonder to them. Toast was an extraordinary shoverbot. Galbedir likes pushing empty tins off shelves and clanging tea pot lids etc. Luckily most breakable things are too heavy for him to shove.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i would loving love to have a budgie but i also dont want to yet because i very much doubt id be a good owner atm and it wouldnt be fair to them

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A Story in Three Pictures -

Yellow wants food from the food dish, having spurned Blue's recent attempts to vomit into her mouth.

Yellow does not know how to get to the food dish.

Yellow considers her options while Blue watches. -

Yellow has become stuck upside down and freezes, weighing her options. Blue continues to watch. -

As her course of action, Yellow decides to tumble to the ground while flap-squawking angrily. Blue keeps watching. -

Not Pictured - Blue's immediate decision, once Yellow was at her side of the food dish, was to rush over and start attempting to vomit into her mouth. Yellow was not amused.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i have been told that despite being a sedentary, lazy prick, taking care of budgies isnt as difficult as i think
i could just set up a big cage next to my desk so i wouldnt need to get up too often

Qubee
May 31, 2013

hbag posted:

i have been told that despite being a sedentary, lazy prick, taking care of budgies isnt as difficult as i think
i could just set up a big cage next to my desk so i wouldnt need to get up too often

They're more social than I expected, and mine definitely don't like being caged all day. Even with two hours flight time, they'll still jump at the chance to spend time with me / out in the room. Plus I've been waking up at 8:30am for the past month or so to uncover them every morning, even if I'd slept at 4am the night before. Normally, I wouldn't even consider doing that for anything, but these two would get me to walk through shards of glass to make sure they were okay. There's also the daily routine of changing food and water, and then the weekly one of cleaning the cage top to bottom. Also, you'll either learn to not really get bugged by bird poop, or you'll hate bird poop and feel annoyed whenever they drop bombs on stuff outside the cage. I'm the former, I've embraced the poop.

I'm just saying this as I'm lazy too, and if I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten any bird, because the responsibility and work involved is more than I anticipated. I didn't expect it to be this level of maintenance, and I sure miss the days of having nothing to think about except what I want to do.

It'll help a lot if your desk room doesn't have many things on the walls for them to perch on, that way you can buy them a bird play area / stand, and it'll become their defacto hangout spot. Easier poop cleanup. Mine have two spots across the room they can get to, so they crap everywhere. When I move out, I'll just have my PC / Desk, and then a bird play area so they're always in one spot for sure.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 8, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Chickadoodle is especially social with you because you raised him from a bean to a bird, so you're basically his parent/god/lover.

I'm in the camp that budgies are a fairly easy pet. Easier than fish, imo. But I'm also probably just bad at fish. I keep their cage doors open all day, they actually spend a fair bit of time both in and out. If I'm home I open some door to the bathroom because that's the best room.

Outside of their cage they're usually on the play-tree (a hibiscus I brought home for them to eat), it's completely defoliated and several toys hang from it. I keep them out of the kitchen using a scary vase and tinfoil. It's tacky as hell but it work. Obviously you need lots of newspaper to catch wayward poops, if they're in the bathroom however, it's just a matter of spraying down the bathtub.

Getting them to eat stuff that isn't seeds can be tricky but there are some devilish workarounds to that.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 8, 2021

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank you for letting me know hibiscus is a thing I can get them that's safe. I was just going to get one of those playstands that catch poop but I'd rather have a beautiful hibiscus tree for them to chill in.

Does anyone else have their birds divebomb their tea / coffee? I can't drink in peace unless they're caged as they'll keep trying to drink my tea. Chickadoodle has managed a couple of times, she gets a swig or two in then I react in time to block her from getting any more. I don't know why they're so crazy for tea. I want to buy birdsafe herbal tea but I'm not sure whether any generic herbal tea is safe. Could I let them drink rooibos tea?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I would avoid all teas unless they are made from ingredients you know are safe and you gather/prepare it yourself. The only drink a budgie should have imo, is water. And caffeine is pretty dangerous for birdyfriends. A small sip of tea probably won't hurt them any but it's not a thing you'll want them doing so I understand your concern.

Perhaps try having a small glass of water set aside when you drink and encourage them to drink from that. When Banane was still with me, I'd have to prepare separate bird-safe meals for him when I ate because of course, anything I was eating *had* to be his. See the famous mcnugget gif lol.

edit- oh and I recommend changing the soil when bringing home any plant that will be played with by the birds. I only do so with things I "present" to them, like the hibiscus plants. The reason for this is that they will eventually start playing in the soil and there are usually liquid filled fertilizer capsules or slow-release granules... and I cringe at the thought of my birds eating pure globs of nitrates and other chemicals!

And yeah, the trees are destroyed. , so forget about enjoying the plant as a decorative item! Mind you, I intentionally take home hibiscus plants from work that don't sell and I lack the sun light to keep them as well, so they're doomed to die

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 8, 2021

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto goes nuts trying to get into my coffee mug in the morning. I guess if human is so concerned with the hot brown juice it must be good and I must have it.

On the subject of hibiscus being safe, I guess you could always make hibiscus tea since it's just the flowers in water.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

:eng101:

hibiscus tea is made with big swollen calyces (more or less outer structures that protect some flowers) of a different kind of hibiscus plant. They usually just post pictures of big red hibiscus flowers on boxes of hibiscus tea but the actual flower of the plant used is much smaller and white. Steeping the ornamental type hisbiscus probably won't taste like much, sadly.

Those big red things are what they use and they taste nice and tart and berrylike. They look tasty, lol.

on topic: i love the bird

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Wow, the more you know.

To post bird, here's a video of me giving Peanut a ride. He seemed keen on exploring the floor so I gave him a tour. Those grunts are, surprisingly, one of his happy noises.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1347987860125868032

And him trying to steal a bite
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1338635996091572234

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wow, the more you know.

To post bird, here's a video of me giving Peanut a ride. He seemed keen on exploring the floor so I gave him a tour. Those grunts are, surprisingly, one of his happy noises.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1347987860125868032

And him trying to steal a bite
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1338635996091572234

delightful

one thing that a number of parrot friends do is offer their birb friends chamomile tea as a calmative agent

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

hbag posted:

Physically? Parakeets (and parrot in general) are not very demanding. They aren't super messy and their poops are water soluble.

Everything else? Insanely demanding. Parrots are emotionally bonded flock creatures that can live anywhere from a decade to eighty plus years. Store bought parakeets are probably in the eight to ten year range, but they can live longer.

Also - vets are impossible to find, bird groomers are impossible to find, they need a whole hell of a lot of stimulation, they cannot be ignored when you have a busy work week, loving everything can kill them (nonstick pans getting hot, rolling over while you nap, a lovely toy catching their nails, cats and dogs), and if you ditch them it can literally drive them to self mutilation.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Physically? Parakeets (and parrot in general) are not very demanding. They aren't super messy and their poops are water soluble.

Everything else? Insanely demanding. Parrots are emotionally bonded flock creatures that can live anywhere from a decade to eighty plus years. Store bought parakeets are probably in the eight to ten year range, but they can live longer.

Also - vets are impossible to find, bird groomers are impossible to find, they need a whole hell of a lot of stimulation, they cannot be ignored when you have a busy work week, loving everything can kill them (nonstick pans getting hot, rolling over while you nap, a lovely toy catching their nails, cats and dogs), and if you ditch them it can literally drive them to self mutilation.

hbag, if you want a few colorful little birds that don't require as much human attention (though they can be hand-tamed and learn to enjoy scritches) consider finches or canaries.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Seconding the chamomile tea thing: Pookie loves her tea, the only problem is that she wants to drink it Super Hot, whereas I will only allow her to drink it when it is Quite Warm because I do not want her to scald her crop. This means that there is only a pretty small window when we agree that the temperature is acceptable.
I'll happily drink cold chamomile but she thinks it's just nasty.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My birds have never been really interested in what I'm drinking, only in what I'm eating.

This has been a Rough Spring in the Rodent Household, with Sera and Ozzy alternating fighting, flirting, and both at once. Everyone's hormonal, everyone's horny, I think Ozzy is doing some "come hither" nonsense and then panicking and going into fight mode when Sera does, in fact, come hither, because Ozzy refuses to let anyone touch him ever. Sera is, as ever, equal parts in love with and a little afraid of Ozzy, and while Sera is very very good at respecting Ozzy's boundaries everything's all over the place right now. There's a lot of frustration in the air. And therefore a lot of yelling.

And I have essays to write. One's on white-nose syndrome in bats, and the other is on people trying to apply human gender roles to animals and why that doesn't work.

But they're calm today. So maybe we're coming through all right.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

And I have essays to write. One's on white-nose syndrome in bats, and the other is on people trying to apply human gender roles to animals and why that doesn't work.

That gender role thing sounds interesting as hell. With parrots, their gender sure as hell affects behavior. But both my old pair of parakeets, along with Blue and Yellow, will occasionally "switch" their roles. Once or twice a month, Yellow will start singing and (fatly) chasing Blue around the cage until she can regurgitate for him. This is normally followed by Yellow preening Blue. I've always wondered if that's typical of parrots, bids, or all animals.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

That gender role thing sounds interesting as hell. With parrots, their gender sure as hell affects behavior. But both my old pair of parakeets, along with Blue and Yellow, will occasionally "switch" their roles. Once or twice a month, Yellow will start singing and (fatly) chasing Blue around the cage until she can regurgitate for him. This is normally followed by Yellow preening Blue. I've always wondered if that's typical of parrots, bids, or all animals.

I'll definitely get on board with animals having gender roles, but they seem a lot less bothered by them than we do, and they definitely aren't the same as ours.

This is a really fun paper I found on the topic. And it's open access, if you want to read it. Basically, how 19th century biologists wasted a whole lot of time and energy trying to find male rotifers, when rotifer species are frequently entirely female, and how this is really just kind of typical of the weird cyclic way science has historically ignored sex and gender in animals except for what fits into human cultural norms of the time, and then this is in turn used to justify human behaviour that doesn't conform to gender or sex as being "unnatural." Meanwhile, animals are out here being gay or trans or having sexes that just straight up don't fit into the fourth grade understanding of chromosomes that every TERF insists is true, but they've been ignored.

So human-animal studies is my new favourite subject, okay.

A chunk of this essay is also devoted to multiple studies that show men are way more likely to be against neutering their pets because of "my female dog absolutely must experience childbirth and parenting to be fulfilled" and also "my dog is less male if I neuter him and that reflects on me."

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait, so herbal tea good, green tea bad for parrots?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Wait, so herbal tea good, green tea bad for parrots?

I wouldn't generalize that to all herbal tea, but chamomile is just fine, yes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I wouldn't generalize that to all herbal tea, but chamomile is just fine, yes.

yeah. definitely don't give them green tea or anything else with caffeine in it. you would also need to check each herb specifically before letting them have it. but chamomile does seem to be okay.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
One other thing - Don't get me wrong, I am so enthusiastic to add new, responsible owners to our community. Outside of Pet Island, I participate in a lot of local groups as well. Because of the constant barrage of...well...bad decisions getting birds either killed, lost, or re-homed, I feel obligated to list the negatives. The sad thing? Sometimes those unspeakable things happen to the most responsible owner's I've ever known.

But I'd be remise to not mention the positives have quite literally saved my life seven or eight years ago. Then almost certainly my father's about five years ago. I would bleed for these little adorable doofuses that know nothing but love, hissing, eating, sassing, and love.

I will do everything I can to help out new owners and don't want to be a downer. I didn't want my earlier post to seem too pointed or harsh.

:derptiel:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Birds as emotional support animals work surprisingly well. I was in a pretty bad place mentally due to the way life turned out this past year and a half. I've been doing a lot better since these two came into my life. They can be super annoying, needy, and sometimes two little assholes. But I love them. Even when they keep riding on my hands and getting in the way on the keyboard, I don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Qubee posted:

Birds as emotional support animals work surprisingly well. I was in a pretty bad place mentally due to the way life turned out this past year and a half. I've been doing a lot better since these two came into my life. They can be super annoying, needy, and sometimes two little assholes. But I love them. Even when they keep riding on my hands and getting in the way on the keyboard, I don't mind.

yeah, my friend absolutely loves birds and she got three budgies as emotional support animals to help with her mania, they've been a massive help
shes incredibly maternal with them and treats them as if they were her actual children

...im gonna repost the picture of cirrus eatin da seed