Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I hate jacking cars up because this is a waking nightmare for me.

Like, I’ve never done it, never seen it happen in real life, never even had a car slip.

But gently caress if this isn’t foremost on my mind the entire time the thing is in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've seen a jack into the pan before; unless it's corroded, it bent the hell out of it, but didn't pop anything like that.

Then there was the late fall in 1974 when my Dad & I tried to jack up my Mom's ancient Mini to change out to studded tires & the hard point went right up through the floor pan like that.

Mom got a new Renault 6 shortly thereafter.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never had that happen but it's been close a few times. Rust sucks.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Vindolanda posted:

*hacker voice* I’ve jacked in to the subframe

LOL

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

80's Japanese cars...

I used to work at an independent shop in Minneapolis in the early 2000's. This old lady had an '82 Accord with about 30k on it. Immaculate inside and out, except for where the floor met the firewall, a lot like this pic. I got it up on the lift and couldn't believe what I was seeing. The very ends of the unibody "frame stubs" were still attached but I think the sills and structure where the fenders meet the firewall were doing most of the work. It was like someone years ago had taken a cutting tool and cut a line through the floor from side to side where the firewall meets the floor and rubbed salt on it. And like I said, everything else everywhere on the car was PERFECT. It was surreal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

I hate jacking cars up because this is a waking nightmare for me.

Like, I’ve never done it, never seen it happen in real life, never even had a car slip.

But gently caress if this isn’t foremost on my mind the entire time the thing is in the air.

Same.

Been back and forth on just buying a quick lift, partially due to this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Quickjack you mean?

Just buy one. They're pretty decent.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
x-post. Not often I get to see a coolant pump that fails so spectacularly that the impeller falls the gently caress off.

Though, only the finest quality parts from

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

https://youtu.be/LGS5v84rQIA

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Quickjacks are on sale at Costco iirc. I have one and they are decent.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmLOoKaBb1Q

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The loving exhaust one, what the hell. Unless someone was pranking the owner?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My Ranger has that much blow by.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My best gas-station pump-jockey story was the older woman that pulled up for gas, and her 2-year old Ford Granada (this was 1982) sounded like a Kenworth. So while pumping her gas I offered to check her oil (yes, we did that back in the Stone Age at full-service islands).

Stick was dry.
Informed her of status.
Added a quart per her request.

Stick was dry.
Informed her of status.

Stick was dry.
Informed her of status.

Stick showed the tip was wet.
Informed her of status.

Added two more quarts.

I asked her when the oil had last been changed.

"Oh," she announced imperiously, "this car never needs the oil changed."

"Ma'am: every car's oil needs to be changed at regular intervals" (I was 18)

"Not this one!"

She started up, and left in a blinding cloud of blue smoke. Car had about 14,000 miles on it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One of my bosses informed me he had never changed the oil on his Chevy Malibu... at 42k miles.

He was a "car guy" and had an AW11 he had "built", I was following him down the highway one time, and the oil from the leaking turbo seals completely covered my helmet visor in oil, so thick I had to pull into the shoulder to wipe it off.

Kenny was not a smart dude.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I remember in 2001 I got two Mazda 121s in on the same day, both with ~8,000km on the clock. One was a month old and needed new rear shocks because the elevator technician who owned it decided that having 1,000kg+ of cable and tools in the back was Fine, Actually. The other one was one of the first Metro 121s, was five years old, and needed most of the exhaust replaced. It was literally the "one old lady owner, only driven to church on Sundays" and because it just sat there most of the time in a beachside suburb, it had (by Australian standards) rusted to poo poo.

Owners are the true horrible failures sometimes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some fuel problems with my 2002 Ford ZX2.

A week ago the CHECK FUEL CAP light came on; messed with it but nothing changed. A couple of days ago the CEL came on too, bringing with it a low idle (to the point that it's stalled a few times) once the engine has warmed up.

I pulled the codes:
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0457 EVAP system - leak detected (filler cap loose/off)

I am hoping it's just that the fuel pump is hosed up and the tank isn't pressurizing properly and that's why it also thinks the cap is loose. What other things could cause this combination of codes and symptoms?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The biggest problem (for me) that Quickjacks and lifts in general solve is the fact that modern cars usually only have 4 approved jacking points which then means that you can't put a jack stand on it as well. Since I'd rather not gamble and jack the car up from unapproved spots, I just got a QuickJack instead.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

Some fuel problems with my 2002 Ford ZX2.

A week ago the CHECK FUEL CAP light came on; messed with it but nothing changed. A couple of days ago the CEL came on too, bringing with it a low idle (to the point that it's stalled a few times) once the engine has warmed up.

I pulled the codes:
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0457 EVAP system - leak detected (filler cap loose/off)

I am hoping it's just that the fuel pump is hosed up and the tank isn't pressurizing properly and that's why it also thinks the cap is loose. What other things could cause this combination of codes and symptoms?

this sounds like a vacuum leak

do cars still have charcoal canisters? seems like that's attached to both vacuum (unmetered air = too lean) and the tank (line with hole becomes a vent)

e: hmm now that i think of it, i would expect that to present as a high idle, not a low idle. a bad fuel pump should be able to keep up at idle, though

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 8, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrOnBicycle posted:

The biggest problem (for me) that Quickjacks and lifts in general solve is the fact that modern cars usually only have 4 approved jacking points which then means that you can't put a jack stand on it as well. Since I'd rather not gamble and jack the car up from unapproved spots, I just got a QuickJack instead.

I think quick jacks have a locking system. You jack it up and then lower it down to a locking point.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It looks like P0457 is for such a major leak in the evap system that it can't pressurize it at all, at least from what I'm reading. 0455 is large leak, 0456 is small leak, 0457 is "you left the cap off". I'd expect a completely disconnected hose, a crack or rust hole of significant size somewhere in the fuel or evap system, missing or loose gas cap, etc.

The P0171 code saying the system is too lean no matter what may be the ECU trying to reach stoich at idle but being unable to without revving beyond idle limits and giving up, but that's conjecture.

I would try finding the spot the evap system lines connect to the engine - usually via an evap purge solenoid - and blocking that port off (on the engine side, you can leave the evap system side hanging) to entirely disconnect it from the engine, then clear codes and see if it runs better and loses the P0171 code. You'll get some combination of various P044x/P045x codes but can ignore them until you're done figuring out the P0171 code. If it does fix that, you know it was caused by the evap leak and can reconnect the evap system and spend more time finding the leak.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

His point was that if you lift a corner of the car with a jack at the approved jacking point you can't then place a jackstand at the same spot to move your jack elsewhere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh lol i just realized i posted that question in the wrong thread because the title of this one is "differential diagnosis," which is subconsciously what I was looking for. i meant to put it in the stupid questions thread. oops.

thanks for the tips anyway!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

my turn in the barrel posted:

His point was that if you lift a corner of the car with a jack at the approved jacking point you can't then place a jackstand at the same spot to move your jack elsewhere.

Chrisfix had these suggested as a solution for this exact issue:

https://www.etamfg.com/shop.html?store-page=Rennstand-Each-p252276669

they're $100 each and a pad adapter is 30 so I'd just go with a quick jack but it's an option.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The pinch weld on cars runs longer than the location of the approved jacking point. I use a 2x4 on my jack cup to distribute load and lift forwards or backwards of the official lifting point. I put the jackstand on the lift point clear of the jack.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah but on many cars the plastic cladding only has a small window on the sill. Sometimes so small that even the pinch weld adapters have a hard time fitting.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I lift on the plastic cladding without issues using the method above.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's amazing that there's anything under the plastic cladding. Here I lift and support by two different suspension mount points because I've had pinch weld support points just cave in or start collapsing at the same speed I'm raising the jack multiple times before.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Quick jack with rubber blocks was a game-changer for me. Just enough height to crawl under comfortably and do pretty much any matter of work without pretzeling myself, and I feel the cars are more stable than with a set of old jack stands.

I got the 5000lb version so the trucks don’t get to use it but for all the Hondas and the RX7 it’s absolutely perfect.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's interesting that Quickjackchat just started. I've been staring pretty hard at the 7000SLX. This model will handle the Corvette, the Volt, and the Suburban. Does anyone know if costco sells the 12v version? I think I'd rather have that, so I could potentially use it somewhere besides my garage.

Also this is a weird mechanical failure: I think I might have an intake manifold leak on my 327, since the engine is only producing 10-12" of manifold vacuum at idle instead of the 18" it should. I suspect this might be why, as I discovered a few days ago, there is no vacuum advance happening. God knows how long this car has been running with no more than about 35* timing advance. :sigh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PainterofCrap posted:

Then there was the late fall in 1974 when my Dad & I tried to jack up my Mom's ancient Mini to change out to studded tires & the hard point went right up through the floor pan like that.

i recently put a big dent in the underside of my mr2's frunk by jacking it up at the factory jack point. those things are a loving lie i swear to god.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vindolanda posted:

*hacker voice* I’ve jacked in to the subframe

Nice.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

It's interesting that Quickjackchat just started. I've been staring pretty hard at the 7000SLX. This model will handle the Corvette, the Volt, and the Suburban. Does anyone know if costco sells the 12v version? I think I'd rather have that, so I could potentially use it somewhere besides my garage.

:stare: I had no idea these things existed. My garage ceiling is too low for a lift; this system woul be perfect

Godholio posted:

Also this is a weird mechanical failure: I think I might have an intake manifold leak on my 327, since the engine is only producing 10-12" of manifold vacuum at idle instead of the 18" it should. I suspect this might be why, as I discovered a few days ago, there is no vacuum advance happening. God knows how long this car has been running with no more than about 35* timing advance. :sigh:

What year Vette?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

So you have the distributor advance, probably a choke pull-off (If you're still using the Carter AFB...I still am, in spite of fuel bleeding out through the accelerator pump after shut-down making me eye the Edelbrock); brake booster; and something for the TH400 vacuum module...

I'd cap them all off with your gauge hooked up & try 'em one at a time. If they're all good: See if any of the intake bolts or baseplate nuts worked loose.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Coming back to quick jack chat, I’ll be leaving this overnight while I wait for a 3” exhaust gasket. I feel much better with it on the locked quick jack rather than stands (yes I know I already mentioned this).

The failure here is that no local parts store counter monkeys either know if they have or are willing to look for an exhaust gasket. One dude was “too busy” and the other guy said it would take him several hours. This is why I bought them off Amazon.

The remaining parts of the offending gasket. I noticed a small leak when the car was running to warm up for an oil change, and this is all that was left.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

:stare: I had no idea these things existed. My garage ceiling is too low for a lift; this system woul be perfect

I’m currently lusting over the MaxJax two post, since it will run under a 9ft ceiling.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Same, I just wish it didn't really need to be so wide, but there is nothing you can do about that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrYenko posted:

I’m currently lusting over the MaxJax two post, since it will run under a 9ft ceiling.

You bastard. Now I have two options.

I'll really need the rolly-chair thing the guy is using.

I can raise my Bonneville about 3.5' if I put the top down and pull it forward enough to clear the windshield of the garage-door opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Coming back to quick jack chat, I’ll be leaving this overnight while I wait for a 3” exhaust gasket. I feel much better with it on the locked quick jack rather than stands (yes I know I already mentioned this).

The failure here is that no local parts store counter monkeys either know if they have or are willing to look for an exhaust gasket. One dude was “too busy” and the other guy said it would take him several hours. This is why I bought them off Amazon.

The remaining parts of the offending gasket. I noticed a small leak when the car was running to warm up for an oil change, and this is all that was left.

Gee, I wonder why brick-and-mortar is failing?
It's not even hard to look it up - they have Walker catalogs for that.

MrYenko posted:

I definitely want one, and have done for a few years now, but still eyeballing the QuickJack, since I can drag that almost anywhere to use it. The garage is full right now.

BlackMK4 posted:

Same, I just wish it didn't really need to be so wide, but there is nothing you can do about that.

It is self-contained and portable, so you can get it out of the way when not needed. Just bolts down, and has dry-break connections.