Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was going to suggest that maybe it’s ableist to dismiss teaching a kid sign language because it may delay their acquisition of a spoken language. Sign languages are no lesser than spoken languages.

But.

If a person isn’t truly fluent in sign language and is just using a handful of signs of convenience with the kid, then it’s probably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Plastering political poo poo all over your business is the weirdest decision, at best you alienate at least half your customer base.

I mean, considering voter turnout in the US it's probably only a quarter of the customer base

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You are very foolish to assume that just because somebody has strong political opinions it means they actually bother to vote

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I was going to suggest that maybe it’s ableist to dismiss teaching a kid sign language because it may delay their acquisition of a spoken language. Sign languages are no lesser than spoken languages.

But.

If a person isn’t truly fluent in sign language and is just using a handful of signs of convenience with the kid, then it’s probably bad.

Even then, it wouldn't be ablelist to dislike your child being worse at their primary language. In a hypothetical world where knowing multiple languages of any kind hurts your ability to learn more, it would be equally bad to use portuguese for baby communication.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

knife_of_justice posted:

In German it’s Spinnenmotivierte Kinderausbildungsmöglichkeit.

Ich bin Schnappi das kleine Krokodil

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As a palate cleansing contrast, there's a mom & pop landscaping/garden place by me that, since BLM blew up last year, has had something to this effect on their marquee sign:

IF YOU ARE RACIST, SEXIST, OR ANY OTHER KIND OF BIGOT --- WE DON'T WANT YOUR BUSINESS

In a land of Trump stickers and Confederate flags, that's a refreshing and bold choice. I have no need for mulch, but by gum if I do I know where I'm going!

They'll never host a Rudy press conference with that attitude.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Zero One posted:

They'll never host a Rudy press conference with that attitude.

Yeah, I actually thought about that place when the Rudy conference happened and hoped they were having a sensible chuckle about it.

The hot dog joint just up the street from them had

MAKE
SIGNS
FUNNY
AGAIN

until the election, and now they're back to terrible wiener puns.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ugh, weiner puns are the wurst.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Marcade posted:

Ugh, weiner puns are the wurst.

I never sausage a bad take

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They can really kielbasa the mood.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hot dog I love these puns

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I actually thought about that place when the Rudy conference happened and hoped they were having a sensible chuckle about it.

The hot dog joint just up the street from them had

MAKE
SIGNS
FUNNY
AGAIN

until the election, and now they're back to terrible wiener puns.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Frankly, I'm a fan.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

CJacobs posted:

There's a pro-lifer ad on a billboard along the highway near my town that reads "IF UNBORN INFANTS COULD VOTE - THEY'D VOTE TRUMP" with a pic of a fetus to this day.

I drove through rural Virginia a few years back for the eclipse, and hooo boy was that an interesting experience. I've been to NoVA plenty of times, and wasn't expecting southwestern VA to be that different. But all of a sudden there were billboards about how Obama is the Antichrist and Satan is watching you and Jesus would vote Republican, etc etc.

Absolutely beautiful scenery though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

hyperhazard posted:

I drove through rural Virginia a few years back for the eclipse, and hooo boy was that an interesting experience. I've been to NoVA plenty of times, and wasn't expecting southwestern VA to be that different. But all of a sudden there were billboards about how Obama is the Antichrist and Satan is watching you and Jesus would vote Republican, etc etc.

wait those billboards aren't normal?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

John Lee posted:

wait those billboards aren't normal?

At least in New England those are very abnormal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RagnarokAngel posted:

There's occasional anti choice billboards with the usual lies but those are uncommon enough to actually be notable here, along with 1800JESUS or whatever

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

there's a billboard on the Georgia I-75 that's in black in white, and only reads "NUT MILK IS NOT MILK"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

there's a billboard on the Georgia I-75 that's in black in white, and only reads "NUT MILK IS NOT MILK"

Well that's a stupid typo.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

I can only imagine that this was paid for by some very pedantic dairy farmer.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Or someone really annoyed that their semen samples keep getting stolen from the communal fridge.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Wow, some of you guys have way more interesting billboards. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one around here that wasn’t just advertising crap or a government PSA.

Edit: I take that back, there was an anti-Trump billboard around election time.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

Shroud posted:

Frankly, I'm a fan.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

RoboRodent posted:

I can only imagine that this was paid for by some very pedantic dairy farmer.

It absolutely was and I guarantee he blames vegans for all his problems. Dairy people are insane.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

It absolutely was and I guarantee he blames vegans for all his problems. Dairy people are insane.

Holy moly is that ever true. Do they ever get mad at Welsh Rarebit or Mock Duck?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sucrose posted:

Wow, some of you guys have way more interesting billboards. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one around here that wasn’t just advertising crap or a government PSA.

Edit: I take that back, there was an anti-Trump billboard around election time.
In my experience(the midwest, especially Wisconsin growing up) you get the more "interesting" billboards when you get into Bumfuck Nowhere places hours from even a small city. The point where the towns only exist to have a gas station and a couple fast food places for highway pit stops(and said towns are miles apart, with nothing but trees and fields in between) is the point where you start getting billboards about Jesus, abortion, and how many miles it is to the nearest sketchy sex shop. Sometimes farm buildings with handmade Believe In Jesus Or You'll Burn In Hell messages, if the local farmers were feeling bored and opinionated.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
In Texas we call that ‘I-45 starting 30 minutes north of Houston and ending 30 minutes south of Dallas’

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

When I used to drive down I75 to see family I’d see this billboard regularly (and worse)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

1redflag posted:

When I used to drive down I75 to see family I’d see this billboard regularly (and worse)

I just read this as being directed at Jesus.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jesus said he will return... and this time we'll be ready for him!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

1redflag posted:

Jesus 2: this time its personal

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

teen witch posted:

Jesus 2: this time its personal

No More Mr. Meek Guy :madmax:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

1redflag posted:

I posted this one over on GiP when it was topical and some of the folks their pointed out those are Russian tanks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hell, billboards of ANY type are abnormal is 1/3 of the states here.

Maine and Vermont have anti-billboard laws.

Even New Hampshire doesn't have that many outside of southern NH, which is just northern MA anyway.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Captain Monkey posted:

In Texas we call that ‘I-45 starting 30 minutes north of Houston and ending 30 minutes south of Dallas’

Also anywhere on I-35 that's not within city limits of SA or Austin. There's still a giant TRUMP = JOBS, BIDEN = MOBS one and some form of MAKE ADVERTISING GREAT AGAIN on the corridor between San Marcos and New Braunfels. The former used to say "Texas? Still great. California? Too late! VOTE REPUBLICAN" until a few months before the election

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hyperhazard posted:

I've driven up and down I-81 a bunch of times. There used to be a really good bluegrass/American roots music radio station that would have, like, big blocks of old time murder ballads. For a solid hour you'd be looking at that scenery and listening to songs about murdering faithless spouses and dropping their bodies down a well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
This is the epitome of controversy as a marketing ploy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

teen witch posted:

Holy moly is that ever true. Do they ever get mad at Welsh Rarebit or Mock Duck?

It's only called Welsh Rarebit because people did get mad at Welsh Rabbit.